Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Does the Wilbel DLC just allow you to add her to the party, or are there exclusive events and dialogue as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GloomMouse posted:

Does the Wilbel DLC just allow you to add her to the party, or are there exclusive events and dialogue as well?

Just lets you add her to the party. You don't miss out on any events with her if you don't get the DLC.

Oddjob hat, though. Way worth it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

GulagDolls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oKk0uUNryM&t=160s

maybe you couldnt hear it because of the battle music and 3 other characters shouting at the same time

The bit in this where it's all the clips of him mourning the death of a female party member is hilarious. Celine... CELIIIIINE :qq:

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I started to play Suikoden a little while ago, and I can't believe I missed this game growing up. Between the billion characters to recruit and the (sort of) upgradeable castle, this is just my game. I'd be tempted to jump right into Suikoden 2 afterwards if Trails in the Sky wasn't coming out next week.

I just finished Soniere Prison and poor Gremio. He wasn't the best fighter and kept forcing his way into your party, but I liked him and thought he was an interesting character. That whole scene kinda came out of nowhere too. Which made it even worse that I had my Prosperity Rune on him and goddammit how am I supposed to make the 30k+ to sharpen my weapons now?!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That one always gets me down, but it was telegraphed pretty well. Don't worry too much about income, though; just go to Kaku and recruit Gaspar (he's in the basement where you found Tai Ho and Yam Koo). Once he sets up in your base, get a high-luck party together, save, and keep doubling your bet until you have max bits.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I love the way Dark Souls tells it's story, you know, in that it really doesn't. You get bits and pieces here and there, but you never really know what the hell is going on. What other games effectively create a similar style of story telling? Preferably with a similar ambiance?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

joshtothemaxx posted:

I love the way Dark Souls tells it's story, you know, in that it really doesn't. You get bits and pieces here and there, but you never really know what the hell is going on. What other games effectively create a similar style of story telling? Preferably with a similar ambiance?
Shadow of Colossus.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

joshtothemaxx posted:

Not quite the same but the first Metroid Prime game tells a lot of its story through optional scannable lore artefacts. It also has a pretty cool gloomy atmosphere though nowhere near as uh dark as Dark Souls.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I never played tactics ogre or FF tactics but someone said they will lend me the psx copies of them. Are the PSP ports that much better than the originals that its worth buying them still? I dont really mind what platform I play it on but if the remakes are that much better I'll just get those.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The psp ports aren't really better. FFT's has some heinous slowdown and Tactics Ogre is more of a remake with some pretty dumb design decisions in places.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

If you're gagging for a tactical RPG and can find a copy, get yourself Jeanne D'Arc on PSP.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Alkanos posted:

I started to play Suikoden a little while ago, and I can't believe I missed this game growing up. Between the billion characters to recruit and the (sort of) upgradeable castle, this is just my game. I'd be tempted to jump right into Suikoden 2 afterwards if Trails in the Sky wasn't coming out next week.

I just finished Soniere Prison and poor Gremio. He wasn't the best fighter and kept forcing his way into your party, but I liked him and thought he was an interesting character. That whole scene kinda came out of nowhere too. Which made it even worse that I had my Prosperity Rune on him and goddammit how am I supposed to make the 30k+ to sharpen my weapons now?!

Suikoden 2 is about 100 times better than Trails in the Sky.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
^^ Whoa, now, let's not say things that we'll regret.

Let's just agree that both of them are really, really good and leave it at that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brasseye posted:

I never played tactics ogre or FF tactics but someone said they will lend me the psx copies of them. Are the PSP ports that much better than the originals that its worth buying them still? I dont really mind what platform I play it on but if the remakes are that much better I'll just get those.

The PSX port of FFT runs a bit better but has an incredibly bad translation. It's still playable but some elements (especially the tutorial) are borderline incoherent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can always patch FFT PSX to utilize the PSP translation. I think it was called FFT Complete.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

You can always patch FFT PSX to utilize the PSP translation. I think it was called FFT Complete.

Yeah, FFT Complete is the name of the patch. I've never tried it before, and it hasn't been updated in ages, but it's there.

Alternatively you could patch the PSP version to fix the slowdown by using this patch. It worked great on my PSP, and I don't see why it wouldn't work with PPSSPP if you prefer that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

^^ Whoa, now, let's not say things that we'll regret.

Let's just agree that both of them are really, really good and leave it at that.

Yeah, a lot of people have nostalgia for Suikoden 2 (including me) but the story does have its share of rougher spots too. Still an excellent game and one of the best JRPGs around.

I consider it and Trails far better than Xenoblade, for instance. I just can't get into Xenoblade and it's mostly due to the combat.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I played Xenoblade for almost 200 hours and never got bored, and can never get more than a few hours into Suikoden 2. Opinions!

Sucks that playing either of them legitimately costs upwards of 70 bucks.

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 29, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

All JRPGs are good.

Except Ni no Kuni.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Cake Attack posted:

Except Ni no Kuni.

Objective fact, right here. Might've disappointed me the most out of any game I've ever played.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

Except Ni no Kuni.

It really is a shame. So much good in the game, but that abysmal party AI completely destroys it.

EDIT: Toki Towa also bad.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
So am I correct in saying that KOTOR2 with TSLRCM mod (and the planet mod) doesn't support widescreen?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The PSX port of FFT runs a bit better but has an incredibly bad translation. It's still playable but some elements (especially the tutorial) are borderline incoherent.

uhhh the translation of fft for the psx is great you swine!!!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Relin posted:

So am I correct in saying that KOTOR2 with TSLRCM mod (and the planet mod) doesn't support widescreen?

Not by default, no.

Go here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II_%E2%80%93_The_Sith_Lords#Widescreen_resolution

Even with these fixes, HUD elements will still be stretched.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Not by default, no.

Go here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II_%E2%80%93_The_Sith_Lords#Widescreen_resolution

Even with these fixes, HUD elements will still be stretched.
Thanks, but it looks like my laptop's res is right on the edge of where this works.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

All JRPGs are good.

Except Ni no Kuni.

Star Ocean 4?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Why Suikoden 2 is considered such a classic? Played it a bit and it's alright, but how come it's supposed to be so good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

Why Suikoden 2 is considered such a classic? Played it a bit and it's alright, but how come it's supposed to be so good?

It's a well-made game with a lot of content, cool bonus mini-quests, and a fairly enjoyable plot. It doesn't have any one big thing, it's just a well-made game.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Also you weren't saving the universe, which was and still is a refreshing change of pace.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And it broke tradition by having the 'bad guy' killed 70% of the way through the game instead of, you know, being the last boss. Such an awesome fight, too, utilizing 3 full parties.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Suikoden games, 2 and 5 in particular, do a very good job of both establishing their worlds/scenarios and consequently escalating them. They very much feel like a JRPG where you are recruiting an army to conquer or liberate nations and as such it feels satisfying to progress.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Y'all better be picking up Trails in the Sky on Steam or GoG tomorrow :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaggitz posted:

Y'all better be picking up Trails in the Sky on Steam or GoG tomorrow :colbert:.

I would, but I already have the PSP collector's edition :smuggo:.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

ManOfTheYear posted:

If I had to boil it down, I would say it is seen as a stone cold classic for three reasons.

Firstly, it was one of the first JRPGs to have a comprehensible and emotional script with characters with distinctive narrative voices. Kids these days are spoiled by competent JRPG localizations and never experienced the joy of sussing out just what the hell anyone was saying in these dumb snes/psx final fantasies. That isn't to say that Suikoden 2's script was perfect, it was certainly unpolished to say the least, but it was still light years ahead of its time.

Secondly, it was also one of the first JRPG sequels to have a significant returning cast from the previous game, who then got further character development. Major characters from the first game like Flik, Viktor, Futch, Humphrey, Hix, Tengaar, etc, all got well made sub-quests which tied together loose ends from the previous game and even tons of minor, but memorable characters like Stallion, Kasumi, and Lorelai could be recruited into your party. No games short of Ultima did stuff like this back in 1999 and certainly none on consoles.

Finally, it really is a really well made game overall. From a solid battle system that encouraged experimentation with new characters and party configurations to all the mini games ranging from the war battles which could result in the permanent death of your party members if you screwed up, to a many part Iron Chef cooking challenge subquest judged by the party members you recruit, which helped add characterization to your horde of collectible characters by trying to figure out their preferences. Add onto to this with great plot beats like the Luca Blight battle, an extremely good soundtrack, and some of the prettiest spritework in an rpg, all of which still stands with the best rpgs offer to this day.

Going into it today Suikoden 2 might not impress as readily, but when you consider that its contemporaries were games like Final Fantasy 8, Chrono Cross and Star Ocean 2, Suikoden 2 suddenly looks a whole lot better.

Also ignore anyone who says to skip Suikoden 1, it may not be as good, but a whole lot of what makes 2 special is coming into it after experiencing the first game. Feel free to skip it on subsequent playthroughs, but play it at least once.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I played Suikoden II for the first time a year or two ago and it holds up really well. Even by contemporary standards it's great, I'd feel just as positively about it if it had been a PSP game from 2010 or something.

e: Outside of the localization, which wasn't terrible but obviously a product of its time.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If a segway from Suikoden II is allowed, I'd like to raise a question:

What makes a JRPG, or any RPG, "good"? A better phrasing probably is "what makes a good RPG?"

I love the first six Final Fantasies, with III and V being my favorites because I like the job systems, FFTA2 is honestly my favorite game ever, and I played through Bravely Default twice without playing other games in between. However, I can't put my finger on why they appeal to me so much beyond the joy managing to get my numbers high enough to beat the final boss.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nowadays I'm valuing speed and responsiveness.

Don't make me wait through a ton of loading times every battle. Don't make your animations slow and repetitive. Engage me in the middle of them if you like. Basically keep the action moving.

(See: Shadow Hearts 2)

Also, a sense of humour does wonders, especially if the game is willing to go tongue-in-cheek about it but not going into 'LOOK AT ME I'M BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL I'M WITTY' territory.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

thetoughestbean posted:

If a segway from Suikoden II is allowed, I'd like to raise a question:

What makes a JRPG, or any RPG, "good"? A better phrasing probably is "what makes a good RPG?"

I love the first six Final Fantasies, with III and V being my favorites because I like the job systems, FFTA2 is honestly my favorite game ever, and I played through Bravely Default twice without playing other games in between. However, I can't put my finger on why they appeal to me so much beyond the joy managing to get my numbers high enough to beat the final boss.

It's good if it makes you care about the story of the world or the role you're playing in a RPG. I would say FFXIII has a good battle system but it doesn't make you care about the world, so I would classify it as bad. There's lots of RPGs with mediocre battles that I would still call good and worth pushing through despite the battles because they do make you care you about the story or the world. Lunar. Earthbound. Xenogears. Nier.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It honestly varies for me, but if I had to pick one thing I like above all else it would probably also be worldbuilding. Obviously good gameplay is a plus, but it's telling that when I ask myself what JRPGs featured gameplay that I actively hated to the point where it brought down the game the only example I could think of was Persona 1. A good RPG should do a good job of casting the illusion that you are some grand adventurer on a grand quest in a grand world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Why the Ni No Kuni hate? I bought it on PS3 and played the first hour or so to give it a try. Seems like a great world to get lost in, but now I'm not so sure :ohdear: