Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Million Ghosts posted:

Vanguard Bandits is super cool, the battles load fast which is like the best poo poo ever. So far Bastion is MVP and I have a feeling this gap will only widen.
Spread the love and don't let him be MVP. There are a limited number of missions in the game with no chances to grind, and even if you pumped his stats all the way to max, he wouldn't be able to hold his own by himself in the endgame.

Well, it's your first time through. It's no Alpha Protocol, but there's enough variation in the missions that you can still end up :psyboom: over that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I try to feed kills to that fat poo poo Barlow and the others too, I've hosed myself over enough in SRPGs to know. But holy drat I almost need to stick Bastion and Galvas in time out to not have them dominate.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

um.....you should stick galvas in time out

but give his badass freaking mech suit to barlow before you do

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
That old bastard is gonna die or betray me isn't he? I loving knew it. Anyone over 20 in a jrpg is evil.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
Put Devlin in the Alba as soon as you can, too! The greatest character deserves the bluest ATAC!!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like putting Barlow in the Alba. Galvas's Serata has the same stats and matches the look of Devlin's fire-element attacks :downs:

Million Ghosts posted:

That old bastard is gonna die or betray me isn't he? I loving knew it. Anyone over 20 in a jrpg is evil.
Nah, nothing like that. Bastion is just "Galvas you suck, stay here, we can't keep stopping at 7-11 for depends need to stay here to protect the castle, you're totally not useless and super old or anything"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Stelas posted:

(No-one liked Unlimited SaGa except me.)

I totally did.

But this probably doesn't surprise anyone.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Beans have been spilled on the new TSI (SSI veterans) game a few hours ahead of time:

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/09/seven-dragon-saga-aims-to-be-a-modern-gold-box-rpg

They don't know what time zones are, so the countdown here is still going: http://www.tsi-games.com/

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So, Xenoblade Chronicles is loving awesome.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, Xenoblade Chronicles is loving awesome.

If you aren't all ready and are able to, play on an emulator on the PC. With the graphics kicked up it is absolutely gorgeous. It is such a pretty game, it's a shame the wii never really did HD.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'll be honest. I didn't care for Xenoblade nearly as much as a lot of people did. It was good, but not "best JRPG in a decade" good.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Eh I found it pretty boring and it hurt my eyes to look at, but my computer isn't nearly beef enough for Dolphin. Shame because I really like the idea of the setting.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

CVagts posted:

I'll be honest. I didn't care for Xenoblade nearly as much as a lot of people did. It was good, but not "best JRPG in a decade" good.

Best JRPG in a decade is not a particularly impressive accomplishment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When did the "decade" start and end.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Persona 4 came out in 2008, and Xenoblade in 2011. So more like half a decade.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The two major gripes I had about Xenoblade is that the combat just wasn't fun, and the more sidequests you did, the worse the game became because they were all bad and repetitive.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

CVagts posted:

The two major gripes I had about Xenoblade is that the combat just wasn't fun, and the more sidequests you did, the worse the game became because they were all bad and repetitive.

I've still never beat the game because I get burnt out on sidequests. I feel compelled to do them. That said it had some of the coolest areas I've seen in a game. There's this nighttime swamp area that is just out of this world.

I'm finding myself with the same issue in Trails in the Sky. It's fun and I like it, but doing all the side quests burns me out. That and the constant crashing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leper Residue posted:

I've still never beat the game because I get burnt out on sidequests. I feel compelled to do them. That said it had some of the coolest areas I've seen in a game. There's this nighttime swamp area that is just out of this world.

I'm finding myself with the same issue in Trails in the Sky. It's fun and I like it, but doing all the side quests burns me out. That and the constant crashing.

Just ditch the sidequests and go on with the story, you poor soul. There's close to 400 of them.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Holy poo poo, Vanguard Bandits is reactive enough that even though I went into Radcot's trap knowing it was stupid, and got captured, I can still keep going? drat.

e: I'm so hype over Andrew's weeaboo bullshit ATAC.

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

Holy poo poo, Vanguard Bandits is reactive enough that even though I went into Radcot's trap knowing it was stupid, and got captured, I can still keep going? drat.

e: I'm so hype over Andrew's weeaboo bullshit ATAC.

Yeah, there's a few little splits like that. You even get a decent support ATAC for going there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
And if you don't, you get a Flaros, which is a piece of poo poo light-class ATAC that uses ninja swords. I guess it's not terrible if you toss Milea in it and upgrade Reyna's ride.

I know most of the mechs suck stat-wise, but I was always disappointed you never get a very good selection of generic machines to put everyone who doesn't have an Excavated ATAC in. I wanted one of those green Kingdom mechs with the dumb topknot :downs:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Do ATAC stats matter a ton or is it more the pilot?

Now if only I could beat this mission :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

Do ATAC stats matter a ton or is it more the pilot?

Now if only I could beat this mission :v:

Stats are stats (with the small exception that your dudes learn their passive skills based on their own unmodified stats). Your ATAC mostly determines weapon availability and movement costs (lighter types tend to cost less to move). The only grunt ATACs you get that offer much in the way of stat boosts are the Alba and Serata, anyway. Even most of the really fancy ones are just 6 or 7 stat points, an hp bonus, a nice weapon, a level 5 stone and a special attack or 2.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 3, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Speaking of which, I've never figured out the point of the WEP stat beyond Flare Bomb requiring you to add a point or two if you want to unlock it early. Is it mathematically identical to the POW stat?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How is Vanguard Bandits in terms of speed, because I got burned out by FF Tactics slow turns, and even Tactics Ogre was pushing it for me.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The first missions are slow but not because of the game itself, more cause you have a lot of guest units. If you turn off animations you could probably tear through battles.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Tae posted:

How is Vanguard Bandits in terms of speed, because I got burned out by FF Tactics slow turns, and even Tactics Ogre was pushing it for me.

It's really fast. Most battle are small-scale, animations can be turned off, and stuff generally dies pretty quickly (both allies and enemies, but the game is on the easy side).

It's definitely not like FFT and Tactics Ogre where you have to deal with involved battles that incorporate lots of healing and revival.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

So, for whatever reason, I want to try playing Ni No Kuni again. What do I have to do to make this less painful on myself?

I stalled out last time on the Alchemy pot boss because my partner kept dying by wandering into his attacks. Also, it felt like I was doing no damage, is the solution to grind more, or are there some really good monsters I should be focusing on?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Erg posted:

So, for whatever reason, I want to try playing Ni No Kuni again. What do I have to do to make this less painful on myself?

I stalled out last time on the Alchemy pot boss because my partner kept dying by wandering into his attacks. Also, it felt like I was doing no damage, is the solution to grind more, or are there some really good monsters I should be focusing on?
Grind more or use more items until you get the ability to fly, then get two of the dinosaurs on the cliffs above the desert and just switch between them forever.

Don't rely on the AI, basically be prepared to have Oliver solo everything with his monsters (or his magic in the case of a few gimmick bosses) and anything else is gravy.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I've only just finished the first...part? of Xenoblade. The part where Colony 9 gets wrecked. I'm really impressed by the facial expressions, the voice acting's great, I enjoy how open and free I am to do poo poo around the world right off the bat, and the combat system is at the very least interesting, so I'm enjoying that too. I also loved the cameo from the Zohar in the lab area and I really love the design of the Grahf-looking Mechon, with his evil widdle face.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
gently caress it does look an awful lot like him in retrospect. Nice!

I really loved Xenoblade, beat it with a lot of the sidequests done and really enjoyed it. I'll revisit it and beat it again sometime next year with the goal of full clearing it. But honestly, the best part of the game? The sense of exploration, and the music which was so absolutely perfect and brought me back to what I loved about Xenogears, which was feeling immersed and invested in the world. I can't help but feel like the soundtrack was remarkably responsible for a lot of that. Even now, I can hear the entire song from that zone after the underground cave in my head. I wish I could think of the zone's name.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hubris.height posted:

gently caress it does look an awful lot like him in retrospect. Nice!

I really loved Xenoblade, beat it with a lot of the sidequests done and really enjoyed it. I'll revisit it and beat it again sometime next year with the goal of full clearing it. But honestly, the best part of the game? The sense of exploration, and the music which was so absolutely perfect and brought me back to what I loved about Xenogears, which was feeling immersed and invested in the world. I can't help but feel like the soundtrack was remarkably responsible for a lot of that. Even now, I can hear the entire song from that zone after the underground cave in my head. I wish I could think of the zone's name.

Central Mine?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Erg posted:

Get one of those loving pirate cats and you will literally sail through the game. They're even the type that Oliver has affinity to. They attack so fast that you'll interrupt most enemies just by mashing attack, and unlike the snakes that also have 4 speed, they have guard instead of evade just in case an enemy does manage to cast something.

Give the other two their best physical attackers too. I think one of the manta rays for Esther, and one of the skeletons from the desert for Swain. Set your allies to only use physical attacks so you can heal on demand with their MP that is no longer getting pointlessly wasted.

Then once you get flying transportation, get one of the dinosaurs mentioned above and use it to instantly wipe every random encounter.

Dross fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 3, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

That one is really good, but this is the one I was thinking of,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmSuJqbdx0

Colony 9 also has spectacular music. The game is just really really good, and not just for a JRPG, just in general its a great RPG. I know people get frustrated with the Side Quests, but you can skip the majority of them, and a lot of them Autocomplete, which is awesome. The writing is actually pretty decent, although it does follow the JRPG trope of having to fight a God at the end, it does it in one of the best ways it can.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

Speaking of which, I've never figured out the point of the WEP stat beyond Flare Bomb requiring you to add a point or two if you want to unlock it early. Is it mathematically identical to the POW stat?

I've never actually sat down and tested it but I think it only works on the generic physical moves. I might have to mess around with it sometime since all this talk is making me want to replay it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

hubris.height posted:

That one is really good, but this is the one I was thinking of,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmSuJqbdx0

Colony 9 also has spectacular music. The game is just really really good, and not just for a JRPG, just in general its a great RPG. I know people get frustrated with the Side Quests, but you can skip the majority of them, and a lot of them Autocomplete, which is awesome. The writing is actually pretty decent, although it does follow the JRPG trope of having to fight a God at the end, it does it in one of the best ways it can.

It was made by the guy who kind of really started the whole "Killing God" theme. It's like...I never loved Xenogears that much, 'cause the gameplay sucked a fat donkey dick most of the time, but I absolutely loved all the of atmosphere, character designs, and of course the music. It was from that era where JRPGs were cool--straight up loving cool, and I'm playing this game and it's reminding me--yeah, we know cool, alright? Giant robots, giant laser swords, gently caress you, this is awesome

and it is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm enjoying Tales of Symphonia overall, but god drat there are some awful moments of stupidity.

Kuchinawa's working for the Pope? What gave it away? THE LEGION OF CARDINAL KNIGHTS WITH HIM, PERHAPS? We may never know the truth :bang:.

The entire town of Odette and multiple others have repeatedly stated that Presea doesn't age and is far older than she appears, but damned if the party can make the connection on their own.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

If you think that's stupid, wait until you play Tales of Graces. It takes almost the entire game for the cast to figure out what's going on. You'll probably figure it out almost immediately.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm enjoying Tales of Symphonia overall, but god drat there are some awful moments of stupidity.

Kuchinawa's working for the Pope? What gave it away? THE LEGION OF CARDINAL KNIGHTS WITH HIM, PERHAPS? We may never know the truth :bang:.

The entire town of Odette and multiple others have repeatedly stated that Presea doesn't age and is far older than she appears, but damned if the party can make the connection on their own.

That last one, wasn't it more that the party figured it out, but had difficulty actually accepting it--like it was a kind of body horror thing for them, to have what seems like a child around them, but who then speaks up and says some poo poo that a child wouldn't say? It's been a long while though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That last one, wasn't it more that the party figured it out, but had difficulty actually accepting it--like it was a kind of body horror thing for them, to have what seems like a child around them, but who then speaks up and says some poo poo that a child wouldn't say? It's been a long while though.

Noooope. They get to Altamira and pretty much spend the entire time going "I thought Presea had an older sister, but Alicia's clearly a kid. Welp, no point thinking about it" :downs:.

edit: Oh and the other one I just remembered Could Cruxis and the Desians be working together? Well Yggdrassil just came out and openly stated it himself five minutes ago, but we better stop and think about it to try and connect the dots. He really must've hit them in the head when he kicked my rear end in that fight.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 3, 2014