Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Levantine posted:

So it looks a lot like Elminage Original mechanically which makes sense. I want a brawler again because brawlers rock, but in Original, their best items were stolen and invariably cursed. Is it still a good idea to make them the race that's immune to curses?

My brawler has 10 times as many kills as anyone else and is still only level 1. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

My brawler has 10 times as many kills as anyone else and is still only level 1. :v:

Well, that's a Brawler I guess :v:

I'm trying to put a team to paper before I roll everyone up. I have the worst time settling on a starting team in games like this.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Elminage is pretty much straight up classic Wizardry right, not much in terms of new gimmicks or mechanics like TotFL or Etrian Odyssey or the like right?

Hows the speed and pacing of the game? Does it play real fast? lots of random encounters? Tons of grinding? As best you can tell so far anyway.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The knight at the training school offered to duel.

:suicide:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ayup. This sure is an old school dungeon crawler. Got wiped out pretty quickly. Going to need to plan my party better I think.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I got wiz 6-8 on the bundlestar deal, is there anything in particular I should know if I want to run a party through all 3 games? I've played through a lot of Wiz 8 so I know most of the basics there but 6-7 are new to me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
i'm having such a hard time getting my starter party up and running in Elminage. The addition of the skills during character creation adds some complexity and I'm finding I don't like a lot of them. Any suggestions on what the "must haves" are? So far I've got Fighter/Brawler/Thief/Mage/Cleric/Alchemist - that party should get me going, right?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Looks like the most recent update for Elminage Gothic got rid of the game files. I'm getting missing executable errors trying to start it up now, even after trying to redownload it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

Looks like the most recent update for Elminage Gothic got rid of the game files. I'm getting missing executable errors trying to start it up now, even after trying to redownload it.

I'm also having this issue. I think I might put it on the shelf til it gets fixed up a bit.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
I only got through the first dungeon before Elminage Gothic got deleted, but Mysterious Bag and Diviner felt like they were the most important to me.

Diviner, which only seems to be available to Bishops and Alchemists, gives you a *much* higher chance to find ore in dungeons. It also lets you see how high the quality of the ore is. Bring two or three picks because they have a chance of breaking when you use them.

Find Treasure seems to make every single random encounter drop a treasure chest, which is a considerable boost to your income.

My Bishop got a lot of use out of Song of Healing on floors 1 and 2, but on floor 3 enemies were doing enough damage that I had to back it up with potions. My Alchemist was also able to upgrade my frontliners' armor with much higher HP regen than the Song of Healing gives. Song of Destruction might be a useful replacement, but unless it starts doing more damage at higher levels it's probably not worth the time it takes to resolve.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

400MB update for Elminage just came through, game appears to be working again.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Oh man, the boss of the 1st dungeon gives no fucks.

100+ damage on all his attacks and even if you somehow are still alive, there's a chance of getting beheaded by him.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's bothering me way way more than it should that Elminage Gothic doesn't support custom portraits. Like come on.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

iastudent posted:

Oh man, the boss of the 1st dungeon gives no fucks.

100+ damage on all his attacks and even if you somehow are still alive, there's a chance of getting beheaded by him.

That enemy isn't a boss. He's more like an Etrian Odyssey FOE. You can finish your quests the dungeon without fighting him - I did, specifically so I could come back when I class-swap into Summoner and grab him as a minion.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm really enjoying Elminage so far, but some of it is crazy obscure and I'm not exactly sure what's going on as far as what stats actually do, or why they seem to be arbitrarily capped. Don't even get me started on Alchemy and Forging, these items need some kind of tag in their description for what types of items they are. Did it ship with an e-manual or something?

Otherwise, I just threw together a party packed full of long-lived characters and am now cheesing the knight in the training center with Paralysis. I can't believe they put in such as easy and accessible enemy that gives so much XP this early in the game, but hey, I'm the kinda player who loves free handouts.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 20, 2014

J
Jun 10, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

Did it ship with an e-manual or something?

Right click on the game in your steam library list, and then select "view player manual." I played a couple hours of it tonight and am going through what you are. I didn't find the manual until just now so I'm going through it. I'm still going :psyduck: over how the game initially feels. So many swings missing, cripes. And my cleric's heal doesn't heal for poo poo, if it wasn't for song of healing I don't even know what the gently caress I'd be doing. Is the magic system straight out of FF1? I'm hoping your spell quantity goes way, way up with levels. Also the power gains on level ups seem all over the drat place. I just don't know what to make of all this.

I noticed it says "X days passed" every now and then. Do I gotta worry about my dudes getting old and dying or some poo poo? Is there any kind of time pressure like that?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

J posted:

I noticed it says "X days passed" every now and then. Do I gotta worry about my dudes getting old and dying or some poo poo? Is there any kind of time pressure like that?
I did some searching around regarding that, and it sounds like your characters age based on the passage of time and that once they hit their age limit, their Vitality starts to decay, and then they die permanently once they hit 2 VIT. I'm not sure what constitutes a year in-game... 100 days? 365 like normal? I also saw a mention about how changing your class also hard-advances your age. It sounds like the Breath of the Goddess trap actually reduces your age, so try to spring those if you're worried!

e: this fuckin' manual, Q: I died A: The secret to not dying is to have HP. Except I don't think they're trying to make a joke.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 20, 2014

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Elminage is fun but confusing as poo poo. Is there any rhyme or reason to when stats will raise/lower on level up, or is it just a chance for either based on the age of the character? I've had my older caster characters gain strength and lose int while my younger physical attackers did the opposite. It's baffling.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Breath is completely insane :stare: I forgot it existed after level 1 made it seem useless, but at some point my fighter has started hitting an entire row of enemies for something like 30-60 damage with it. I should have gotten more dragonewts.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bussamove posted:

Elminage is fun but confusing as poo poo. Is there any rhyme or reason to when stats will raise/lower on level up, or is it just a chance for either based on the age of the character? I've had my older caster characters gain strength and lose int while my younger physical attackers did the opposite. It's baffling.

It's completely random, and I think there might be caps based on your level or maybe race (I read somewhere that Elminage Original was "racial base +10") but I strongly doubt the latter one is the case because it looks like they max out at somewhere in the 36-40 range and nobody has base stats that would let them reach those maximums.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

It's completely random, and I think there might be caps based on your level or maybe race (I read somewhere that Elminage Original was "racial base +10") but I strongly doubt the latter one is the case because it looks like they max out at somewhere in the 36-40 range and nobody has base stats that would let them reach those maximums.

Yeah, on further playing/reloading the gains and losses seem totally random. Going to be a lot of resting individually and reloading if I lose the wrong stats.

And man, Brawlers are kind of nuts if they manage to get their whole combo off. They hit pretty hard already, then occasionally some crazy kung fu poo poo happens and they carve off a huge chunk of HP or take out several enemies at once. It's pretty sweet.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Finally cleared the first dungeon. Strongly considering getting a bishop & alchemist leveled up so I can go on a mad blacksmithing spree. :black101:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

More Elminage questions: Are there any items or spells that let me teleport back to town? It's getting old trekking back through the dungeon every time I need to leave, which is kind of frequent.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Bussamove posted:

More Elminage questions: Are there any items or spells that let me teleport back to town? It's getting old trekking back through the dungeon every time I need to leave, which is kind of frequent.

Clerics get a level 4 spell (Honey Restorer) that does that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bussamove posted:

Priests can learn Honey Restorer as a level 4 spell (I think), which teleports you back to town but makes you forget the spell. It's for emergencies.

The last level of wizard spells has a spell I forget the name of that lets you teleport anywhere within the dungeon (except to no-teleport squares), so you can do that to blip straight back to the entrance and leave. You don't forget this one when you cast it, so you should use this one preferentially once you know it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Prism posted:

Priests can learn Honey Restorer as a level 4 spell (I think), which teleports you back to town but makes you forget the spell. It's for emergencies.

By "forget" do you mean you can't use it until you stay at the inn, or it's gone until you level up?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

iastudent posted:

By "forget" do you mean you can't use it until you stay at the inn, or it's gone until you level up?

The second; it removes itself from your spell list, and you need to level again to regain it (I don't know if it delays learning other spells if you're still doing that, or just comes back in addition to normal spells learned). Given it takes you back to the inn, it wouldn't make much sense for it to be the first.

That's why you should use the wizard teleport instead if you can, but it's harder to cast since it's a top-level spell.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So from what I understand reclassing lets you keep your spells and change your skill, but you lose everything else. Is there any benefit at all to switching from one non-magic class to another?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

So from what I understand reclassing lets you keep your spells and change your skill, but you lose everything else. Is there any benefit at all to switching from one non-magic class to another?

Well, you do keep your HP as well, that is a good thing especially if you want to class into something that doesn't get a lot of it.

e: If I turn my Mage into a Cleric and then into a Alchemist, will he be more useful or should I go Mage-Alchemist instead of trying to get Cleric spells? I'm a bit bad at these old Wizardry-like games. :v:

Also is there any reason to let a Samurai use two weapons instead of a Daikatana?

I don't know what EX Skills to pick, any good suggestions on which are actually useful?

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 21, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Found an Apple Gel inside the toilet.
No way am I picking that up!

I love Tales of Vesperia :allears:.

edit: Holy poo poo, Yuri just straight-up murdered Ragou in the dead of night :munch:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 21, 2014

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love Tales of Vesperia :allears:.

edit: Holy poo poo, Yuri just straight-up murdered Ragou in the dead of night :munch:

Vesperia has its flaws, but man did they get the protagonist right. Yuri's probably one of my all-time favorite JRPG heroes, mostly because he's so refreshingly competent (and has a really nice voice).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
What's a good starting party in Elminage Gothic? So many options, and I'm sure a lot are terrible considering the kind of game this is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Anything that includes a Brawler and an Alchemist. You can hit ghost enemies with magical weapons, and you can buy one for your Fighter in the town's shop, so classes like Valkyrie and Shaman that are designed to hit ghosts aren't really necessary. Brawlers are pretty much the only melee class that can hit anything that isn't asleep or paralyzed up until level 5 or 6 or so. Alchemists are a support/status caster and they start with a paralysis spell, which eats enemies' turns and locks their AC to 20.

Everything else is up to you. Keep in mind that multi-classing only lets you keep magic ability and a portion of the HP you've gained from leveling, but you inherit 3 charges of every spell level you have access to. The trade-off is that multi-classed characters can't use Innocent equipment. which I'm told sucks for everyone but Valkyries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I have to choose a party member to lure a guard from his post in Vesperia. Estelle and Judith seem like sensible options, so obviously I have no choice but to pick Karol and see what happens. It was his idea, after all.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
If I were to restart, I would make a Summoner and immediately change their class to Alchemist at level 1. If you manage to make a contract with a monster, make a new Summoner and give them the Spirit Pact skill. If you use that while a monster is summoned, even if the monster doesn't belong to the summoner, the monster will join you as a permanent party member.

The monster loses all its skills and becomes a level 1 member of the "Devilish" race, but they do keep all their resistances and chance to inflict status ailments with their basic attacks. They also get to keep a single casting of any spells they knew, and I haven't tried it but I assume they'll still have a breath weapon if they had one.

:getin:

edit: actually you may as well push to level 4-5 summoner, whatever level gives you second level spells

gdsfjkl fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 22, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

goldjas posted:

What's a good starting party in Elminage Gothic? So many options, and I'm sure a lot are terrible considering the kind of game this is.

I'm contemplating restarting because I've been trying to play it like Elminage Original and that seems to be hurting me a bit. It's quite a bit harder in the beginning of the game, hit rates being what they are. Brawler seems like a must have and Alchemists seem amazing out of the gate. In Original I tended to not class change for Innocent gear but I don't know how that stacks up in this entry. Also I've been reading that Thieves are less desirable since you can't steal anything good outside of bosses. I don't know how true that is though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

gdsfjkl posted:

If I were to restart, I would make a Summoner and immediately change their class to Alchemist at level 1. If you manage to make a contract with a monster, make a new Summoner and give them the Spirit Pact skill. If you use that while a monster is summoned, even if the monster doesn't belong to the summoner, the monster will join you as a permanent party member.

The monster loses all its skills and becomes a level 1 member of the "Devilish" race, but they do keep all their resistances and chance to inflict status ailments with their basic attacks. They also get to keep a single casting of any spells they knew, and I haven't tried it but I assume they'll still have a breath weapon if they had one.

:getin:

edit: actually you may as well push to level 4-5 summoner, whatever level gives you second level spells

I am getting a massive Wizardry Empire vibe from this (not surprising since Starfish made that too) so I think I am going to have to pick this up. Though I think I'll probably get the 3DS version instead--it's been on my e-store watchlist for a while and I have a bunch of credit there to burn anyway. Can anyone speak to how good the 3DS remix was? Any glaring problems with it?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

From what I could tell online, the 3DS Remix has a bunch of extra classes and races that the PSP and PC versions don't have, but it's also a much easier game too and there's no difficulty selection.

So it depends on if you care more about extra classes and races or a challenging game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

From what I could tell online, the 3DS Remix has a bunch of extra classes and races that the PSP and PC versions don't have, but it's also a much easier game too and there's no difficulty selection.

So it depends on if you care more about extra classes and races or a challenging game.

Wait, so is the PC version a straight PSP port then? I've read a lot about the 3DS vs PSP versions on Amazon reviews and the like (3DS is pretty much universally considered better with lots of quality-of-life improvements...nothing about difficulty though) so if it's just a port that pretty much seals it, unless it really is that much easier and I just haven't seen that mentioned.

I haven't seen much at all about the PC version on Japanese sites come to think of it. Did a PC version come out in Japan? I'd prefer to play untranslated if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wait, so is the PC version a straight PSP port then? I've read a lot about the 3DS vs PSP versions on Amazon reviews and the like (3DS is pretty much universally considered better with lots of quality-of-life improvements...nothing about difficulty though) so if it's just a port that pretty much seals it, unless it really is that much easier and I just haven't seen that mentioned.

I haven't seen much at all about the PC version on Japanese sites come to think of it. Did a PC version come out in Japan? I'd prefer to play untranslated if possible.

Yeah, it's a straight port of the PSP version except the art is redrawn for HD displays.