Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Wild Arms 1 is. It's aged (especially the battle graphics) but is fun to play and has Zelda-style dungeons mixed with JRPG combat.
The out of battle graphics are pretty sweet, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Yeah, they're silly SD sprites but I like them myself. They have that PS1-era charm.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zereth posted:

Yeah, that and while RPGs have their gameplay mostly in battles, Wild Arms keeps you mostly in Zelda style dungeons. The battles are still solid, and I personally appreciate that it avoids the often gimmicky systems of more modern games. The force system was always a nice touch, but nothing overdone.

It's only major fault, outside of a rather ho-hum script, is battle graphics looking truly awful. I personally have little issues looking past them, however.

Heck, all of this Wild Arms talk makes me want to give the game another go, but I probably should finish 3. I never quite caught the bug it seems a lot of you did with that game, but it did still keep the charm of the series well enough. It's just drat that game drags on and on.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I love 3(I think I've mentioned before that it's one of my favorite JRPGs), but it's weird in that it's 3 (sorta/kinda four?) seperate stories that just kinda take place in the same world with the same main characters solving them. Basically 3 seperate seasons of the same anime or some such. It doesn't matter though because it has pretty much the best cast of any RPG ever.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
That's probably a good way of thinking about it, and it makes sense in hindsight. It'll probably work out better for me keeping that in mind, because I got bored originally wondering why things seemed so haphazard, like a few plot lines just sort of got forgotten (though they were technically solved, I was just expecting some sort of twist).

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kiggles posted:

It's only major fault, outside of a rather ho-hum script, is battle graphics looking truly awful. I personally have little issues looking past them, however.

Off the top of my head the only PSX graphics I take issue with are the 3D models in Wild Arms 2, which were highly touted at the time. Advertised on the jewel case and everything.

They, uh, they haven't aged well. I genuinely think that every other PSX JRPG has aged well, all things considered, but WA2's battle models are not good.

To be fair though I haven't played Beyond the Beyond since it came out so I don't know how well those graphics have aged.

e:
actually they look fine :v:

e2:
on second thought, WA2 doesn't look as rough as I remember it, maybe I do need to replay it

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 18, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah the WA1 battle graphics looks waaaaay worse than 2.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Wild Arms franchise in general is not very popular. Even popular franchises have a really hard time getting fan translations done for games that already have a translation, even a lovely translation. (Note how there's no meaningful retranslation for FFVII, literally the most successful JRPG ever.)

Are you insinuating that the current ongoing FF7 retranslation isn't meaningful goon sir??? Judas Iscairot is going to change the entire franchise!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The White Dragon posted:

Wild ARMs music is a little hit-or-miss with me. Like half of every soundtrack is really great, whether it's slower stuff like Alone in the World or A Person's Warmth, or battle theme poo poo, and then the other half is kind of... unlistenable :v:

I think the biggest problem with Naruke's soundtracks is that it took her a bit of time to get battle theme's down. In the first couple WA game's she has a bunch of excellent tracks, but the weaker ones tend to play more often than the others. It's the most apparent in the WA1 battle themes, but WA2 also suffers a lot with a bunch of the songs being way too short.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Zereth posted:

Yeah the WA1 battle graphics looks waaaaay worse than 2.

Yeah I went and looked at both of them (I haven't played either since PSX-era) and WA1's battle models look more rough than WA2. I guess I owe WA2 an apology. :shobon: I was a bit spoiled by Alter Code F I think, which did have pretty stiff models but was a decent graphical update on the original. The non-battle sprites and environments still look great in WA1 though.

dude789 posted:

[...] It's the most apparent in the WA1 battle themes, but WA2 also suffers a lot with a bunch of the songs being way too short.

A lot of the tracks, including most of the dungeon ones, are less than one minute long. Some barely manage to hit 30 seconds. For example I really like dungeon type 2 but, even if it loops smoothly, it's really short (one minute!) for a repeating background track you hear a lot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goldjas posted:

I love 3(I think I've mentioned before that it's one of my favorite JRPGs), but it's weird in that it's 3 (sorta/kinda four?) seperate stories that just kinda take place in the same world with the same main characters solving them. Basically 3 seperate seasons of the same anime or some such. It doesn't matter though because it has pretty much the best cast of any RPG ever.
The person who compared it to a 50 episode anime is pretty on the money. It reminds me of like, Slayers if you've ever watched that - a cast of likable characters get involved in some Fantasy Plot, there's drama, some plot-twists, they fight the villain and save the day, and then they wander off to the next Fantasy Plot with maybe a few characters from the last one becoming recurring characters.

Or put another way, it's like a really extended Dungeons and Dragons game, where the plot gets resolved but everyone is attached to their characters, so the DM makes up another plot for them to get involved in.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins and really liking it. I'm thinking that I'll probably Dragon Age II, but I've been hearing that it's not a good game. Is it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vincent posted:

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins and really liking it. I'm thinking that I'll probably Dragon Age II, but I've been hearing that it's not a good game. Is it?
Hope you like caves, because you're gonna visit the same three ones fifty times. And also fighting a fuckton of enemies that never seem to end.

Even if you like the frankly kind of shoddy even if you're being generous writing in DA2, the gameplay is a massive slog that never really goes anywhere.

And Inquisition is one of the best things Bioware's put out in years.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Dragon Age 2 is a really lazy, rushed game that is, mechanically, more like Fantasy Mass Effect than a legitimate sequel to Origins. I haven't had time to play Inquisition yet but apparently it's really good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dragon Age II is basically a very drawn-out under-budgeted sidestory of the Dragon Age universe.

Except the end of the game is the whole reason why Inquisition's world is a mess.

Really don't play it, watch a story summary somewhere because everyone is the worst possible rear end in a top hat with no redemption outside of like Aveline.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Endorph posted:

And Inquisition is one of the best things Bioware's put out in years.

That was my reason to buy Dragon Age origins and my interest in playing DA2, but yeah, it seems that the game is bad. Looking for reviews, it seems that the Gametrailers one is the most shameless one, holy poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

Really don't play it, watch a story summary somewhere because everyone is the worst possible rear end in a top hat with no redemption outside of like Aveline.

Hey, Varric is cool too. But he's still cool in Inquisition and that's actually a good game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i started playing ffxiii-3 last night

this game could have been salvagable if not for the terrible writing. god hired lightning to literally be jesus i guess? the combat and dress up is good but oh boy my eyes have never rolled harder than the first hour of the game. it is just written so poorly all i can think is it was supposed to be meant to be preachy where it comes back around to being not preachy or something?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hubris.height posted:

i started playing ffxiii-3 last night

this game could have been salvagable if not for the terrible writing. god hired lightning to literally be jesus i guess? the combat and dress up is good but oh boy my eyes have never rolled harder than the first hour of the game. it is just written so poorly all i can think is it was supposed to be meant to be preachy where it comes back around to being not preachy or something?

god's the bad guy who you kill with the Power of Love. the plot's hilariously stupid, just roll with it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

god's the bad guy who you kill with the Power of Love. the plot's hilariously stupid, just roll with it

holy poo poo thats fantastic. you really wouldn't think it from where i am in the story now, because it sounds like final fantasy x christian cross over fanfiction its real bad. but you were right about combat / dress up, its satisfying

also why is there over $70 in dlc for this game wtf

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The first city in 13-3 is dull. You can take a train to other places though.

Is there an easy way to farm Ethers in 13-3 in NG+? They go amazingly well with that late game sword that drains your HP but goes through final boss lifebars in seconds.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah LR takes a bit to get going but then it just goes balls-out, it's the most fun I'd had with an FF in ages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lightning returns is the best ff plot in years.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
can i just use time expansion indefinitely to explore and grind and do quests?

i saw that the train takes up time, but i'm not really sure how "tight" the time frame is

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, you can. All it needs is a few fights and you'll recharge it before it's done, even.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hubris.height posted:

i saw that the train takes up time, but i'm not really sure how "tight" the time frame is

It's not. By the end of the game I had finished every quest and still had to skip a lot of time to get to the conclusion. Just stop time a bunch and don't waste a lot of time waiting and you'll be fine. Normally I'm paranoid about this sort of thing, but it's not really a concern in LR.

Worst case, I'm pretty sure that if you do run out of time you can just start a sort of NG+ mode where quest progress and levels are saved or something like that.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Stats are saved, quest progress isn't*, I think.

* It saves whether you've completed the quest before, because your rewards will be lower, but I don't think it counts towards story completion within NG+.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Vincent posted:

It's not as bad as people make it out to be, and you'll miss out on a lot of references in Inquisition (which is the best of the three games) if you aren't familiar with the plot. It does have some obvious flaws (like the crazy lack of dungeon variation) but overall it still manages to be fun. I say give it a quick playthrough.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Plus the voice acting on Hawke is p. good, especially the :smuggo: lines

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh no, not references! Definitely make sure to invest 30 hours of your life so you will get references to a bad game while playing a good one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wendell posted:

Oh no, not references! Definitely make sure to invest 30 hours of your life so you will get references to a bad game while playing a good one.

Especially since the main plot references stuff from DA2 DLC that isn't even in the main game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you could play dragon age 2... or you could spend ten minutes on the dragon age wiki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_BlcZsVW0

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I missed DA2 entirely and yeah, it's completely skippable. You can alter the world state in the Keep and get a five-minute narration of every major plot point. So little actually happens in it compared to Origins that whatever references exist don't leave you lost at all.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does DA Origins stuff import into Dragon Age Inquisition or is it just like a "new game" thing that asks you about your choices from the first games through dialog?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Gyshall posted:

Does DA Origins stuff import into Dragon Age Inquisition or is it just like a "new game" thing that asks you about your choices from the first games through dialog?

There's the Keep, which will let you save and alter the worldstate from the first two games for every conceivable decision point. Otherwise it will just stick you with a default world state if you don't want to bother loading your previous saves or altering anything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hubris.height posted:

you can, yeah. fights give you back EP, and fights in the chaos always give at least 1, so if you seek those out you can chronostasis forever. each main quest you complete increases your maximum EP, too.

pro tip, though: when you kill a boss (any fight that gives you a star rating counts as a boss) be sure to check around where the fight happened, because they always drop a unique red item reward on the ground, and if you leave you'll miss it.

e: chronostasis is also good for any side quest that gives you a short time limit to do something, because time limits are always based on the ingame clock. so if you have to kill X enemies or reach a certain spot in an hour, you can just freeze time for as long as you like.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 18, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The issue with Dragon Age 2 is that, on top of the infamous writing and obvious rush job, it's just boring. The combat in general -- including enemy types, patterns and abilities -- never meaningfully evolves throughout the game, and once you've seen the first encounter against a horde of enemies who die instantly led by one or two sturdier warrior or rogue types as well as the first encounter against a mage type, you've seen nearly everything the game has to offer save for the few bosses. The dialogue is Telltale Games-esque Choices for Choice's Sake coated in horrible humor, and the ending is just straight-up moronic.

I didn't like it, not one bit.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Its not meaningfully worse written than every other bioware game but the lack of polish and poor execution makes it way funnier than their other games. If you can enjoy bad things it is worth a play.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just read about the ending which is the most obvious/lol choice ever. I guess that is the plot for DAI? Templars vs Mages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Just read about the ending which is the most obvious/lol choice ever. I guess that is the plot for DAI? Templars vs Mages?

That's the backdrop, but then it quickly moves in a different direction following the first act.