Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i am 100% serious when i say that you should play demonicon instead of dragon age 2

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/killer-bundle/

get it for five bucks and go kill some zombie hookers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

by the way, don't forget to take screenshots of your lightning to post on twitter and facebook

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I picked up Temple of Elemental Evil during GOG's recent sale and I thought there was a mod that I always saw mentioned in the same breath. I'm guessing it was Circle of Eight. Is it an essential, or should I play through vanilla first?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Antares posted:

I picked up Temple of Elemental Evil during GOG's recent sale and I thought there was a mod that I always saw mentioned in the same breath. I'm guessing it was Circle of Eight. Is it an essential, or should I play through vanilla first?

CoE has a version which stays as close to vanilla as possible, if that's your intent. But the bugfixes it adds are pretty much essential to actually playing the game, so you should at least install that part of it. On the other hand, The extra content version makes some questionable decisions, but most of the added content can be skipped or avoided -- it's mostly new quests and areas, rather than loving with the base dungeon design.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Antares posted:

It's loving essential. Temple of Elemental Evil was shipped broken.

e:f;b

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Temple of Elemental Evil is a Troika game, meaning it's absolutely excellent once you've installed a fan patch to remove the dozens of game-breaking bugs and add cut content.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

CoE has a version which stays as close to vanilla as possible, if that's your intent. But the bugfixes it adds are pretty much essential to actually playing the game, so you should at least install that part of it. On the other hand, The extra content version makes some questionable decisions, but most of the added content can be skipped or avoided -- it's mostly new quests and areas, rather than loving with the base dungeon design.

Thanks for the replies. Don't really care about authenticity as long as the extra stuff isn't stupid time wasting grognard mechanical changes so I'll probably just start with the full version.

RIP Troika. I wish they were still here to make games where I'm a vampire who argues with stop signs.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Lightning Returns has two good things as far as I'm aware:

:colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyshall posted:

Just read about the ending which is the most obvious/lol choice ever. I guess that is the plot for DAI? Templars vs Mages?
They get so far away from DA2 as fast as possible. They bring back the okay characters from DA2 and just shelve the rest as lore fillers. Although the Hawke stuff (the main PC from DA2) is pretty lame, but thankfully short.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Antares posted:

Thanks for the replies. Don't really care about authenticity as long as the extra stuff isn't stupid time wasting grognard mechanical changes so I'll probably just start with the full version.

RIP Troika. I wish they were still here to make games where I'm a vampire who argues with stop signs.

They saved the grognard poo poo for the Keep on the Borderlands Fan Campaign, which is so poorly designed that it allows you to create a party which is incapable of beating it because you didn't take climbing at creation

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

They saved the grognard poo poo for the Keep on the Borderlands Fan Campaign, which is so poorly designed that it allows you to create a party which is incapable of beating it because you didn't take climbing at creation

Is it just too low level for the mage or codzilla to fix that?

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Prism posted:

I'm just glad you didn't want me to list exactly where it is because it's been so long that the more detailed spoiler there was the best I could do.

Not really a spoiler, but I blocked it out just in case: IIRC the game lets you sell the Orb of Truth, like it does with pretty much anything. Don't.

Found it using your second clue also. What took me so long? The Minister in the Castle 'inform's you that the 'demonic' wall is located North East. Well, it is not :)
Entering combat..

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Spider Climb is only a 2nd level spell but I doubt it's in the game despite being in the SRD.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dis astranagant posted:

D&D games tend to not put in any of the utility stuff.

Partially because its a bitch to implement, partially because without a DM you can't tailor poo poo to the party and having a 'climb poo poo' spell that is literally never used is stupid.

Also no one ever lets players fly. Because, surprise surprise, it breaks so many thinga.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Morrowind let me fly. It also let me cast "1pt levitate for 120 secs" on enemies who would fly after me very very slowly.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nellistos posted:

Found it using your second clue also. What took me so long? The Minister in the Castle 'inform's you that the 'demonic' wall is located North East. Well, it is not :)
Entering combat..

It sure isn't. I forgot that he was inaccurate or I would have mentioned it as one of the clues.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished suikoden, what a good game all-around. I played a little of Tales of Symphonia and Breath of Fire IV but they both have some issues (Not a fan of Symphonia's slash-slash-slash, wait, slash-slash-slash, wait, slash-slash-slash, heal, etc. combat). Breath of Fire IV might have the worst isometric camera I've ever seen. Getting around the first town in the game is a loving nightmare. Why did they design walls so high everywhere? Is this what the entire game is going to be like?

Also I bought Grandia and Devil Summoner, which I expect will be slightly smoother experiences.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished suikoden, what a good game all-around. I played a little of Tales of Symphonia and Breath of Fire IV but they both have some issues (Not a fan of Symphonia's slash-slash-slash, wait, slash-slash-slash, wait, slash-slash-slash, heal, etc. combat). Breath of Fire IV might have the worst isometric camera I've ever seen. Getting around the first town in the game is a loving nightmare. Why did they design walls so high everywhere? Is this what the entire game is going to be like?

It's to make the flying member of your party feel relevant out of combat. They also use it to hide poo poo all the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Also I bought Grandia and Devil Summoner, which I expect will be slightly smoother experiences.

Much as I love Breath of Fire IV (and it largely improves, the first city's pretty much the only one cluttered like that so stick with it), let me tell you about the hide-and-seek minigame that sends you round a city trying to find some kids hiding everywhere. Some of whom are specifically hidden so you need the camera looking from a specific angle to spot the little shits :shepface:.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Much as I love Breath of Fire IV (and it largely improves, the first city's pretty much the only one cluttered like that so stick with it), let me tell you about the hide-and-seek minigame that sends you round a city trying to find some kids hiding everywhere.
Worse than the start of Grandia?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its over as quick as it starts but its really dumb

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

GloomMouse posted:

Morrowind let me fly. It also let me cast "1pt levitate for 120 secs" on enemies who would fly after me very very slowly.

Morrowind is also the best Bethesda game. It's not generic and has excellent design and quite powerful (and broken) spell system. Throw a few hundred mods and it becomes one of the best RPGs of all time for me.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Morrowind had a bunch of mechanics that were straight up fun but were removed from the sequels, like running at roadrunner speeds or jumping from one side of the continent to the middle of the sea on the other side.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Much as I love Breath of Fire IV (and it largely improves, the first city's pretty much the only one cluttered like that so stick with it), let me tell you about the hide-and-seek minigame that sends you round a city trying to find some kids hiding everywhere. Some of whom are specifically hidden so you need the camera looking from a specific angle to spot the little shits :shepface:.

BoF4 is a favorite of mine but it's really got some of the most polarizingly good and bad segments of any RPG I've played. The good parts are absurdly good, but then there are the unbelievably stupid parts like that minigame. And there's a chunk of about 5-10 hours of the most pure, unimaginably boring padding, right before the end game, which is just loving amazing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

BoF4 is a favorite of mine but it's really got some of the most polarizingly good and bad segments of any RPG I've played. The good parts are absurdly good, but then there are the unbelievably stupid parts like that minigame. And there's a chunk of about 5-10 hours of the most pure, unimaginably boring padding, right before the end game, which is just loving amazing.

I think every BoF has that problem, honestly. My biggest complaint is that they replaced the cool rear end sprites of larger enemies with awful looking polygonal models. Bosses kind of look like poo poo compared to BoF3. Scias kind of makes up for any problems the game has in my mind, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ToS's combat gets a little better once you get more artes/get Regal, who's the only character who can really combo, but yeah, compared to later Tales games it's clunky as hell.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Heavy neutrino posted:

Morrowind had a bunch of mechanics that were straight up fun but were removed from the sequels, like running at roadrunner speeds or jumping from one side of the continent to the middle of the sea on the other side.

Got to streamline for the consoles! Yes, I am bitter. Bought all their subsequent games and even with mods none were as good.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

oblomov posted:

Got to streamline for the consoles! Yes, I am bitter. Bought all their subsequent games and even with mods none were as good.

Morrowind is on consoles. Oblivion and Skyrim being streamlined doesn't seem to be because of consoles, it's just because that's what Bethesda wants to do.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Morrowind on the Xbox was some epic poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hell you could even load BSPs on the Xbox version so long as you had it installed on the HDD and could fit them into whatever was left of the 64MB RAM.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Levantine posted:

I think every BoF has that problem, honestly. My biggest complaint is that they replaced the cool rear end sprites of larger enemies with awful looking polygonal models. Bosses kind of look like poo poo compared to BoF3. Scias kind of makes up for any problems the game has in my mind, though.

And if Scias isn't enough, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSAqplG8Jg the music better be.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I really enjoyed the story in Persona 4. How is the story in Persona 3?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yaws posted:

Not as well paced. It's still worth playing though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

And if Scias isn't enough, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSAqplG8Jg the music better be.

BoF4 had a really interesting soundtrack. It's kind of low key and laid back but dramatic (for lack of a better word) at the same time. I think my favorite track is the general boss music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdibZ37hdw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yaws posted:

The pacing's a little more off and the party dynamic is... well, a lot less present, but it's still a good story when it gets going. Get Persona 3 Portable and play the female protag route if you're okay with talking head style cutscenes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yaws posted:

It's good.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Endorph posted:

The pacing's a little more off and the party dynamic is... well, a lot less present, but it's still a good story when it gets going. Get Persona 3 Portable and play the female protag route if you're okay with talking head style cutscenes.

FMC has quite a bit better social links (well, there is Ken as an awful, awful exception), so it's worth a playthrough. Depending on the time available, IMO, the better path is to do regular MC on P3 FES playthrough and then follow up on FMC.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

I don't like portable gaming. Which is unfortunate because most jrpgs are in that format nowadays.

Thanks for the replies :)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ken's link is perfectly fine if you're not a weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yaws posted:

I don't like portable gaming. Which is unfortunate because most jrpgs are in that format nowadays.

Thanks for the replies :)

Get yourself the PS2 version. So long as you don't mind only being in direct control of the protagonist, it's perfectly fine. Thankfully the party AI's generally smart enough to remember elemental weaknesses. Plus if you're playing it mainly for the story, a couple places really do benefit from the emoting 3D models over visual novel faces. The Portable version does have a long host of gameplay improvements though.

Levantine posted:

BoF4 had a really interesting soundtrack. It's kind of low key and laid back but dramatic (for lack of a better word) at the same time. I think my favorite track is the general boss music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdibZ37hdw

Y'all forgot one of the best tracks (though A Warring God's a personal favourite).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf9wP-XEKo4