Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Variant_Eris posted:

I liked 5, but I couldn't get behind 3.
3 should have revolved entirely around Thomas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Coughing Hobo posted:

Countercounterpoint: Suikoden IV sucks and not even he could redeem that game.

Suikoden IV is loving awful and honestly just straight up a bad JRPG.

But I played it anyway because I obviously hate myself and I'm totally masochistic. That being said, Schtolteheim Reinbach III and his father made me smile. :3: So that's one tiny victory for Suikoden IV amid a sea (ha ha :() of failure.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
BONUS ROUND 4 VS TIERKREIS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

4 is a better Suikoden game than Tierkries but a worse game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tierkreis is mediocre, 4 is actively agonizing to play.

4 has more good ideas buried midst its sea of failure, which is either a plus or a minus since those ideas are never expanded on.

4 has more personality than Tierkreis even with how blundered every single part of it is. Just that one cutscene of the chancellor guy mooning the entire enemy army is way more likable than any character in Tierkreis managed to be.

Overall Tierkreis > 4 but I wouldn't really play either of them. It's not like anyone should be that hard up for DS or PS2 RPGs.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

i liked tactics a lot, whatever the hell you think

:colbert:

tbqh I tried to love it but it got really boring quick

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
breath of fire peaked at 3

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Tierkries in a nutshell: there's a fight near the end of the game where one of your characters specifically requests to come alone to get revenge on a certain boss enemy. If you actually honor his request prepare to be annoyed. Because of his elemental affiliation he cannot damage that enemy and is completely useless in the fight.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is that Pier Solar game? You know the one that is a new Sega Genesis game that recently got ported to PC and Dreamcast? Is it good? How does it compare to more modern RPGs like Trails in the Sky?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

hubris.height posted:

breath of fire peaked at 3

Absolutely. Yes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is that Pier Solar game? You know the one that is a new Sega Genesis game that recently got ported to PC and Dreamcast? Is it good? How does it compare to more modern RPGs like Trails in the Sky?

its pretty bad I hear

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Cake Attack posted:

its pretty bad I hear

This. I've heard that the game's like Radiant Historia, in the sense that the battles are tedious and boring. The soundtrack is supposed to be good, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Variant_Eris posted:

This. I've heard that the game's like Radiant Historia, in the sense that the battles are tedious and boring. The soundtrack is supposed to be good, though.

Man, you can say a lot of things about RH's battles but you can finish most of them in 1-2 turns if you know what you're doing and get an ability to 'turn off' battles partway through the game otherwise.

PS's combat is legitimately tedious and boring though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I hear that, at least the Genesis version, is pretty much literally an okay Genesis-era RPG. Weird annoying design decisions of the era included.

EDIT: By which I mean it would've been "okay" when the Genesis was current. So, I'm gonna guess "very badly" when compared to modern games like Trails.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I played the demo of Pier Solar for a few minutes and found the sound effect it made when advancing dialogue too annoying to continue. I should try again, but that sound effect really grated on me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a bad genesis rpg

if you really want one of those, go for it

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Here's an analogy for you: Barkley 1 is a game making fun of the community of people that obsess over SNES/Genesis RPGs. Despite looking the part, it has some great dialogue, a fairly original story and incorporates some pretty modern design decisions.

Pier Solar is the community of people they're making fun of making a game in earnest that wishes it was Lunar (graphics and combat), with mid 90s Working Design dialogue and slavishly recreates most of the era's bad design.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mid 90s working design dialogue is too high praise

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

3 should have revolved entirely around ThomasGeddoe.

ftfy

in fact, they should of just made a spin off game focusing on Geddoe and his merry band of mercenaries, since they are the best part of the game.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

It's more like lines that Seth MacFarlane would have rejected from Family Guy and the like for being too stupid.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pier Solar would have been better with 50% more Clinton jokes.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Breath of Fire V is pretty rad breath of fire game in a weird "hey we made a linear RPG rougelike of your beloved series" kind of way.

Also it is basically the Gurren Lagann Prequel. So it has that going for it.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pier Solar would have been better with 50% more Clinton jokes.

Nah but it would be better off without that Zero Punctuation joke in the early game, taken from a guy who hates JRPGs.

By the way it's eventually shown that the book is encoded in ROT-13, which is stupid for a lot of reasons, for instance that you encypt, not encode, with ROT-13.

And yet the developers called the SNES an 8-bit console because of its data bus, yeah these people are obviously Genesis fanboys who can't get over that Sega has been one of many laughingstocks of a industry for a long long time. Not that Nintendo is really much better any more, but I digress.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Were there ever any good RPGs on the Genesis? I never owned one and everyone always talks about SNES games when they talk about 16-bit RPGs.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Phantasy Star IV was extremely good. Other than that, not so much.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i remember liking warsong, but its been a while.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wow I guess I dodged a bullet. Never got the nostalgia from 16 bit JRPGS. Only Chrono Trigger stood the test of time. The genre didn't start to age well until the late 90s.

I may pick it up if its on sale for like $2 on GOG one day, just for curiosity sake.

Are there any good indie JRPGs out there?

Endorph posted:

I played Lunar Eternal Blue and couldn't believe how bad it was. It was like watching a 4Kids cartoon with some adult "humor" thrown in.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I played Lunar Blue Moon and couldn't believe how bad it was. It was like watching a 4Kids cartoon with some adult "humor" thrown in.
the dialogue of a game that doesnt exist is probably pretty bad yeah

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Exit Fate, Barkley: SHUT UP AND JAM Gaiden and Recettear are the ones people talk about most often here.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Endorph posted:

the dialogue of a game that doesnt exist is probably pretty bad yeah

Serves me right for trusting Google recommendations instead of putting in the extra effort to actually fulfilling the search to confirm the game's name.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

OneDeadman posted:

Breath of Fire V is pretty rad breath of fire game in a weird "hey we made a linear RPG rougelike of your beloved series" kind of way.

Also it is basically the Gurren Lagann Prequel. So it has that going for it.

i remember getting infuriated with it and quitting it because it was not the breath of fire game i desired. to be honest, even if it was the game i wanted the series was going to die, at least here in the west.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in case youre curious, lunar: blue moon is a fanfic

anyway working designs dialogue hasn't exactly aged gracefully but at the time it was really good, considering 90% of other JRPGs were stiff as hell at best and completely incomprehensible at worst. The jokes were mostly lame, but the characters at least had recognizable personalities and everything actually flowed. It had life to it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Were there ever any good RPGs on the Genesis? I never owned one and everyone always talks about SNES games when they talk about 16-bit RPGs.

Shining Force 1/2, Shining in the Darkness, Phantasy Star II (if you can stomach the age-dness), Phantasy Star IV is the best 16-bit RPG bar none, Warsong, Shadowrun.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wow I guess I dodged a bullet. Never got the nostalgia from 16 bit JRPGS. Only Chrono Trigger stood the test of time. The genre didn't start to age well until the late 90s.

I may pick it up if its on sale for like $2 on GOG one day, just for curiosity sake.

I played Lunar Eternal Blue and couldn't believe how bad it was. It was like watching a 4Kids cartoon with some adult "humor" thrown in.

I'd say working designs dialogue is the loathsome combination of a 4Kids cartoon and a bad Adult Swim cartoon filled with lines that Seth Macfarlane would call too hackish.

EDIT: Good luck with Pier Solar being $2, the developers, being Genesis fanboys, have egos the size of the sun and will never ever reduce it beyond $15 because "just be glad it's not $60".

Byde fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 22, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Byde posted:

I'd say working designs dialogue is the loathsome combination of a 4Kids cartoon and a bad Adult Swim cartoon filled with lines that Seth Macfarlane would call too hackish.

They aren't even remotely that bad you dumb goon.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Speaking of PC indie JRPG's, anyone else ever played Space Funeral?

http://gamejolt.com/games/rpg/space-funeral/3492/?

It is very unique (and short).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Working Designs, I think, became victims of their own success. With Lunar they were clearly trying to spice up a really dry JRPG. What they took away from the response wasn't "people want JRPGs to have lively and interesting dialogue" but "man, people really like pop culture references and jokey dialogue." So each successive game got more the latter instead of the former and it never really worked out for them.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of PC indie JRPG's, anyone else ever played Space Funeral?

http://gamejolt.com/games/rpg/space-funeral/3492/?

It is very unique (and short).
Yeah, that's the one that uses Les Rallizes Denudes and a bunch of primitive electronic drones as its soundtrack. A game with that sort of soundtrack can't not be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Working Designs, I think, became victims of their own success. With Lunar they were clearly trying to spice up a really dry JRPG. What they took away from the response wasn't "people want JRPGs to have lively and interesting dialogue" but "man, people really like pop culture references and jokey dialogue." So each successive game got more the latter instead of the former and it never really worked out for them.
on the other hand