Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh wow. I had zero idea there was a sequel to Stonekeep.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Selenephos posted:

Oh wow. I had zero idea there was a sequel to Stonekeep.

Why?

Interplay was a husk of its former self at that point. They had a catalog of aging IPs and little else and this is the sort of shovelware they released to keep the lights on. They were hoping the Fallout MMO would be their Hail Mary (they kept the right to make one in the sale to Bethesda) but nothing came out of it, and eventually Bethesda forced them to shut it down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Interplay was a husk of its former self at that point. They had a catalog of aging IPs and little else and this is the sort of shovelware they released to keep the lights on. They were hoping the Fallout MMO would be their Hail Mary (they kept the right to make one in the sale to Bethesda) but nothing came out of it, and eventually Bethesda forced them to shut it down.

That is disappointing, Interplay was awesome in the early 90s.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.rpgfan.com/2024/03/28/visions-of-mana-hands-on-preview/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knowing NetEase is doing VoM absolutely turfed my interest in it sadly.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Context?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NetEase isn't credited for working on Visions of Mana? I don't see anywhere that they are involved with this game. Are you sure you're not thinking of something else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

NetEase isn't credited for working on Visions of Mana? I don't see anywhere that they are involved with this game. Are you sure you're not thinking of something else?

Gyoru posted:

Tidbit from the preview interviews is this is developed by NetEase instead of the Trials of Mana team

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202403/28338051.html

https://twitter.com/YoshidaBeer/status/1773336749864874074

Almost exclusively terrible mobile games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a studio owned by netease, not netease themselves. its a studio established by netease specifically to develop console games, ie, not mobile games. ryosuke yoshida there was a designer on dmc5 and monster hunter generations. idk why youd care. a company used its mobile money to toss together a studio to make good games instead

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not that I have a ton of examples of this but if miHoYo and Shift Up can go from mobile to console then I'm sure anyone can do it.

Kinda worried about Sandland after trying the demo, maybe I just didn't give it enough time but I feel like the combat's really rough. Like, imagine you're in a circle labeled like a clock. If I throw a two-hit combo towards 12 I can't change mid combo to 5 or 8 or 3, you're just locked into attacking linearly. Getting combat like that after playing through Like a Dragon: Gaiden and while playing Issin! feels absolutely terrible, I hope that isn't in the final product.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah i'm not really seeing a reason to be concerned about Visions of Mana. It's still primarily a Square-Enix developed title.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the... the previous mana remakes were made by a mobile team... why would you care that the new one is made by a mobile team...

they eventually released even the Trials remake on phones

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The two knocks I've heard against Trials is that it's incredibly easy, and one of the leads has a cutesy speech impediment. But should the game get a discount on sale, what is there to recommend it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Trials has multiple difficulty modes and the highest ones are of the calibur that you basically die in one hit and can only revive 3 times a fight. I think there's a good chance you could choose a difficulty that works for you.

If you don't want to hear Charlotte you can just not include her on your team. Or just play in Japanese.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm running out of Chawotte screenshots I haven't posted before. I might have to resort to some oldies the next time she is brought up!

I remember people not liking the English dub for Riesz either, but I don't know if that has to do with the character just not being very exciting, in remake of a game that probably wasn't loved because of the storytelling to begin with.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 28, 2024

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do all if her folks talk like that, or is it just her a la Donald Duck.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Just her.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The two knocks I've heard against Trials is that it's incredibly easy, and one of the leads has a cutesy speech impediment. But should the game get a discount on sale, what is there to recommend it?

The Mana series overall is a good blend of Square-Enix RPG mechanics with colorful, cartoony - but well-done - aesthetics. And Trials of Mana is a particularly good instance of the series.

It also has a unique approach to party building which affects both the story and gameplay!

You will make a custom party by choosing 3 out of 6 candidates. The first character you choose will have the most focus in the story, and it will be their final boss you face. The second and third characters contribute somewhat to the story too, and will have unique interactions with the main, but you will mostly choose them for gameplay or aesthetics.

Then, as the game gets into its later stages, you can have your characters change classes on a "light" or "dark" path. This affects their in-game abilities and their appearance too, but doesn't affect the story. You get another light/dark choice later, creating 4 possible end game classes for each character. (You can change your mind in the modern version; in the SFC version your choices get locked in.)

So, if you want an action-RPG with selectable difficulty and cute-but-still-good graphics, with interesting party-building, Trials of Mana is a good choice.

Charlotte's voice is an annoyance, though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I can't believe there are people who didn't start up the game hoping to hear Twials of Mana at the title screen

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.rpgfan.com/feature/visions-of-mana-interviews-masaru-oyamada/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
charlotte's speech is mostly just one of those weird localization choices where you can see where the idea comes from but they decided to also apply it to the text and, reading a child character talking purely in hiragana is different from seeing them put on a thick baby affectation in english

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah pure hiragana is more like talking in extremely simplistic language not tawking wike dis

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Riesz

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Colonel posted:

charlotte's speech is mostly just one of those weird localization choices where you can see where the idea comes from but they decided to also apply it to the text and, reading a child character talking purely in hiragana is different from seeing them put on a thick baby affectation in english
She also has a non-standard spin on a "young speaker" sentence ender (dechu is already the baby-talk version of desu, but Charlotte says dechi instead), but those kinds of verbal tics don't translate perfectly from Japanese, believe it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This is why I don't like most Stephen King books. 200 pages devoted to the monster, and 500 pages go to the depressed author stand-in and the twee baby-talking kid.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Uh..Right on, man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

This is why I don't like most Stephen King books. 200 pages devoted to the monster, and 500 pages go to the depressed author stand-in and the twee baby-talking kid.

Why do you post like this?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i don't like stephen king. because i can't read.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

go away

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Uh..Right on, man.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well you can avoid the first complaint by playing the original SNES version

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't have posted a semi-serious response if I'd scrolled down a bit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what stephen king book is 700 pages

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

charlotte's english voice is hilarious, you hate fun if you dislike it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the stand, those dark tower books get pretty long, IT is like a 1000 something pages

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

what are you loving talking about

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Endorph posted:

what stephen king book is 700 pages

the stand and it, apparently

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wed Wed Bwue posted:

chawwotte's engwish vwoice is hiwawiwous, wyou hwate fwun wif youwu dwiswike iwt

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Anybody taken the jump on Terra Memoria? Only one mention in this thread from back when the limited demo was out, and trying to watch some of a stream did not enlighten me too much as to whether it was just dull for me to watch (as many RPGs are) or would actually also be dull for me to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I played the demo and thought it had a nice cozy feel to it, but that also does mean it could be very sleepy for people. probably on the same level as something like Earthlock or Trulon the Shadow Engine (am I the only one who ever played that?) rather than on the level of Sea of Stars or Crystal Project

e: i'm not going out of my way to play it though when Eiyuden Chronicles and SaGa are both a month away

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 29, 2024