Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
xenogears
chrono trigger
earthbound
ff6
suikoden 5
wildARMS 2
Smt 2
Smt 4
persona 4g
Valkyrie profile 2

nocturne should be really high on that list but I've actually never beat it. been working through it between new releases for a year now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The protagonist of 4 had horrible dead eyes. It was incredibly unsettling, as though he knew what sort of game he was in. Why wouldn't he be happy after escaping?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think he had dead eyes because he had the sins of every past user of his rune weighing down on his mind, their deaths constantly haunting his dreams, unable to escape the eternal grudges of those they'd wronged, his mind an endless hellscape of heinous crimes and brutal punishment

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

or because of all that loving sailing, could go either way really

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, he had them before he got the rune. He did have to put up with Snowe's poo poo for years, so maybe that was it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure it was because he constantly had poo poo in his pants from the way he walked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty sure it was because he constantly had poo poo in his pants from the way he walked.
thats called dysentery and it's a very real risk for sailors

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I know the one and only time I played Suikoden IV, I recruited Viki ASAP just so I could minimize the amount of goddamn sailing I had to do. People bitch about Wind Waker's sailing but it was like driving a high speed car in comparison and you usually didn't get interrupted with random battles and long load times every few seconds in Wind Waker either.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Viki will never be in another videogame ever again, and that's pretty sad.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

thats called dysentery and it's a very real risk for sailors

the loud and stinky killer

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
alternatively just imagine zoolander saying 'I got the black drawers, pa'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

Viki will never be in another videogame ever again, and that's pretty sad.

She was cool, also her name reminds me of Viki the Viking.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Viki sneezed herself out of our lives without warning.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been playing Age of Decadence lately and I gotta say, it is very sweet. Are there any other games that are early access/indie that are worthwhile to check out/keep and eye on like AoD?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Age of Decadence is probably the brownest game of all time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gyshall posted:

I've been playing Age of Decadence lately and I gotta say, it is very sweet. Are there any other games that are early access/indie that are worthwhile to check out/keep and eye on like AoD?

BLOODLUST SHADOWHUNTER

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

corn in the bible posted:

BLOODLUST SHADOWHUNTER

serious or nah? Just looking for a game with hella stats and whatnot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deus Ex
Way of the Samurai 3
Alpha Protocol
Drakensang River of Time
The Last Remnant
Silent Storm
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Planet Alcatraz
Nier
Lightning Returns

you know, the obvious choices

Deus Ex owns, I just didn't want to get into the "is it REALLY an RPG" argument. :colbert:

(Also owns: Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Wizardry, Ultima.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gyshall posted:

serious or nah? Just looking for a game with hella stats and whatnot

i think it has three negative reviews on steam, i am not the only person who likes it

but its an arpg so you maybe don't want it for this purpose.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I didn't expect making this list to take so long :ohdear:

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Radiant Historia
4. The Last Story
5. Etrian Odyssey IV
6. Final Fantasy VI
7. Fire Emblem (7)
8. Persona 4 Golden
9. The World Ends With You
10. Barkley, Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Honorable Mentions: Mother 3, FFX, FFIV, the odd-numbered Mario and Luigi games, Pokemon Platinum and Black/White

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
1. Persona 4 Golden
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Xenogears
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Final Fantasy VI
7. South Park: Stick of Truth
8. Final Fantasy IV
9. Secret of Mana
10. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

i think it has three negative reviews on steam, i am not the only person who likes it

but its an arpg so you maybe don't want it for this purpose.

You seem to play A Lot Of Video Games, so I'll take your word on it - looks pretty sweet.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Summoner 2 is awesome :stonk:
It's got the magical island theme of FFX and Suiko 4, only your main character is both an important reincarnated goddess queen and a wisecracking adventurer.
So, one day you're looking for invisible monkeys in a chill port city built on top of an unspeakable alien temple, and another day you sit in your throne room where peasants suggest erecting a statue in your honour... and hire a wizard to do it... and a few days later they come back saying the statue is alive now... and then the wizards you send to fix this poo poo accidentally raze the village too. It's like a slightly less insane Saints Row at times.
Of course, now Volition and Summoner are owned by different companies.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Vagrant Story
3. Sweet Home
4. Ys Book 1 and 2
5. Final Fantasy IV
6. Final Fantasy V
7. Chrono Trigger
8. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
9. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
10. Super Mario RPG

If Symphony of the Night doesn't count for some reason, I guess move everything under it up one make, I dunno, Secret of Mana #10.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

arisu posted:

1. Persona 4 Golden
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Xenogears
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Final Fantasy VI
7. South Park: Stick of Truth
8. Final Fantasy IV
9. Secret of Mana
10. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

All 7 of the 10 games I played on this list are awesome. So I should try Persona 4? What's so good about it? All I know is high school, which isn't appealing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

All 7 of the 10 games I played on this list are awesome. So I should try Persona 4? What's so good about it? All I know is high school, which isn't appealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEvRM5amL4

e: Persona 5's out this year so maybe just wait for that.

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 22, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAefGu7EIOk

Terper posted:

be the master of your fate and play persona 4, persona 3, persona 2, nocturne, smt4, digital devil saga 1 and 2, devil survivor 1 and 2, devil summoner 1 and 2, and all of the persona 4 spin-offs

oh and demi-kids

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 22, 2015

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Persona 4 has a decent story, not nearly as saving-the-world epic as some of the other games on the list, but it has some of the best written characters in an RPG that I've played. A good share of well written comedy and drama as well. Yeah it's high school but it's got such good characters that I just didn't care.

Terper posted:

Play both Persona 4 and Persona 5.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 22, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

what's so good about chie?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

nothing

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
1. Fallout 2
2. Uplink
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Baldur's Gate
5. Koudelka
6. Legend of Legaia
7. Laser Lords
8. Persona 4
9. Phantom Brave
10. Pokemon Gold/Silver

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i hope you've made peace with your god

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Chie is a Meme Waifu, and must be destroyed.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

stage 36 in tears to tiara 2 is bullshit. who was it here that already beat the game? how did you do this stage? i don't even care about the s rank i just want the stupid bonus

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not nearly that far but I really do appreciate how willing ToT2 is to kick me right in the teeth repeatedly.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If I remember right, the protagonist was no longer silent in Tactics and he looked much happier and less pissed off all the time than he did in Suikoden IV. Which is kind of strange since McDohl still didn't speak in Suikoden II despite being the protagonist of the previous game.

McDohl speaks, but only in a circumstance so specific that 99% of players will miss it entirely. I think you have to take him with you to Tinto, make sure he stays in your party despite all the resets, then take Nanami's story branch as far as it can go without prematurely ending the game.

IV's protagonist being happy and chill and casually chatting with everyone in the middle of battle was one of my favourite things about Tactics.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

He also speaks if you take him to the regular ending. Anyone in that party slot will speak so it's not really anything special, but at least it's something

1a. "Let's go..."

1b. "Don't be a fool... Your life is very important..."

2. "Let's hurry..."

3. "Is it... collapsing?"

4. "Nobody's... here..."

5. "The throne room..."

Sp. "This castle won't hold.. Let's go... Riou..."

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 22, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Use this after initially recruiting McDohl (and keep it on):

3006AE62 0007
D010E8C8 0052
3010E8C8 0054

This will allow you to add him to your party via the castle bar.

He actually would show up in the bar, except the game deliberately reads the availability of only 82 characters (including main).

King Jowy is number 82, but he's never set as available. McDohl just so happens to be character 83.

He doesn't have a "join party" message, it's gibberish, but he works perfectly fine otherwise.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 22, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Okay this is my real list going off memory and soul searching a bit. It's complete nostalgia but these were the RPGs that were good enough for replays at various points in life.

Final Fantasy 4 & 6
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy Tactics
Phantasy Star 4
Lufia 2
Illusion of Gaia
Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines
Dragon Quest 4
Seiken Densetsu 2
Shining Force 2

Surprisingly I rarely replay WRPGs. Not sure why. I keep meaning to replay ME3 ever since they added those new expanded endings and stuff but I've never brought myself to play more than the intro. Which is weird because I love sci-fi RPGs and there just aren't many. I think it's probably Bioware fatigue following DAI.

Stelas posted:

I'm not nearly that far but I really do appreciate how willing ToT2 is to kick me right in the teeth repeatedly.
I think it's time I finally took the plunge on this game. Witcher 3 is not turning out to be a very enjoyable experience and I think I'm ready to pull the plug and switch to something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

baram. posted:

what's so good about chie?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Chie is a Meme Waifu, and must be destroyed.