Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Lufia II was pretty good. It ended pretty suddenly though, I was expecting a much more involved final dungeon. I couldn't muster up the energy to play the first one so I just read a synopsis, and while I still don't think I'll play it that sounds like a pretty fun two-game punch in terms of simple SNES JRPG plot. Wish I had played them both back in the day rather than in 2015.

They are definitely "you had to be there" type games. I can replay and nostalgia will sandpaper over some of the rough edges for me but they aren't really polished games. I remember renting Lufia 1 from the local video store for like 2 weeks til I beat it. I can still hear the battle theme in my head :v:

These days unless you have tons of patience for SNES era rpgs, reading the synopsis is the best thing you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By far the thing that irritated me the most was when party members would suddenly leave and yank all of the equipment I had on them at the time. Especially one time where it was literally after a boss fight with no interruption to restart and un-equip them. Also instant death and confusion were exceedingly annoying when there was no way to seemingly protect against them.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

By far the thing that irritated me the most was when party members would suddenly leave and yank all of the equipment I had on them at the time. Especially one time where it was literally after a boss fight with no interruption to restart and un-equip them. Also instant death and confusion were exceedingly annoying when there was no way to seemingly protect against them.

At the very least, Lufia 1 does not have that first problem because you only have the party you have once you obtain everyone. I think the way I dealt with status effects is I mostly just stocked up on healing items, and in the case of Lufia 2, used IPs that cured status.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Was Tales of Zestiria any good? I haven't played any of the series since Vesperia so seeing a new-ish mainline title coming to Steam really caught my eye

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Was Tales of Zestiria any good? I haven't played any of the series since Vesperia so seeing a new-ish mainline title coming to Steam really caught my eye

There's some argument over it. The plot apparently does a bait-and-switch with one of the female leads which really upset people and so it's hard to get clear info not tainted by that. Generally it sounds like the flaws are that it has a bad camera system that people genuinely dislike, a fairly limited set of playable characters, and the plot is apparently a bit odd. (Something that may play differently in translation.)

It's going to probably take until it comes out here to get any clear info on it because the response from Tales fans to almost any new game is "it's terrible."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Lloyd's voice in symphonia is really distracting after years of hearing that same voice as robin from teen titans

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Lloyd's voice in symphonia is really distracting after years of hearing that same voice as robin from teen titans

I could never hear him as anything but "please ma'am, no meat touching."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There's some argument over it. The plot apparently does a bait-and-switch with one of the female leads which really upset people and so it's hard to get clear info not tainted by that. Generally it sounds like the flaws are that it has a bad camera system that people genuinely dislike, a fairly limited set of playable characters, and the plot is apparently a bit odd. (Something that may play differently in translation.)

It's going to probably take until it comes out here to get any clear info on it because the response from Tales fans to almost any new game is "it's terrible."

Oh, I didn't realise it hasn't even had a western console release yet, that's pretty cool. I guess Japanese publishers are finally starting to appreciate Steam is a credible platform

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

YOU GOT ME THE EXPANSION PACK! THE EXPANSION PACK, ANDY! I NEED THE GAME! IF I DON'T HAVE THE GAME, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO EXPAND UPON?

And now I am sad about that show again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FirstAidKite posted:

Aghhh I knew I'd heard it somewhere before. :cripes:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nate RFB posted:

Lufia II was pretty good. It ended pretty suddenly though, I was expecting a much more involved final dungeon. I couldn't muster up the energy to play the first one so I just read a synopsis, and while I still don't think I'll play it that sounds like a pretty fun two-game punch in terms of simple SNES JRPG plot. Wish I had played them both back in the day rather than in 2015.

now play lufia 3

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
luffia 2 has infinite replayability for me because of gift mode and the 99 level dungeon. i'm glad someone patched the rom to fix it, and now i can always go back and enjoy it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

remember lufia 4

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
no, don't

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

At least that voice is slightly different.

bloodychill posted:

YOU GOT ME THE EXPANSION PACK! THE EXPANSION PACK, ANDY! I NEED THE GAME! IF I DON'T HAVE THE GAME, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO EXPAND UPON?

And now I am sad about that show again.

Maybe one day it'll get renewed and they'll bring all the people back to work on it and it won't be as good as we'd hoped it'd have been had it not been cancelled in the first place

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lufia 5 will just be a sheet of paper with the words "gently caress you" on it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

That was the Lufia 2 remake actually.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ImpAtom posted:

Was it that bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Was it that bad?

I really disliked it.

It turned the game into an action-RPG but not a very good one. it had pretty crap redesigns for all the characters. It got very 'fanfictiony' in a way which felt like it devalued interesting beats of the story in favor of making sure everyone had a happy ending. (Tia gets over her Maxim thing super-quick and ends up dating Dekar.) It has legitimately bad dungeon design, the ancient cave is the opposite of fun, the combat is boring and easy, and the 'new' ending sucks hard and sets up for a sequel which thankfully will never come.

It also weirdly reuses the *exact* original script in places which leads to bizarre inconsistent writing because they were pounding harder on nostalgia than making a good game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I liked the Gameboy Color Lufia, if only for playing jigsaw puzzles with my party to maximize power.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lunar dragon song

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

At least the new gameplay additions are easy to judge. The enemy composition is much more caster heavy (like Graces F arc heavy) and there are mechanics in play where incorrect ougi usage will cause the enemies to cast faster.

I skipped importing this one for once but I hang with the opposite end of the spectrum where my friends had the usual complaints but are sad that amazon.jp crushed ToZ so hard that there won't be a remastered editon or any more DLC.

Probably the biggest complaint I heard was the AI is worse than usual. I couldn't quite tell just by watching streams. My tolerance for bad Tales AI is quite high these days.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Mr. Maltose posted:

I liked the Gameboy Color Lufia, if only for playing jigsaw puzzles with my party to maximize power.

This is also probably why I like Arc Rise Phantasia

well aside from the fact that the dub is real good in a bad way

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've come to accept that all of the jRPG series I love are completely hosed.

Lunar is nearly dead. Dragon Song murdered any sort of chance for new sequels in the series and the only thing that's left are the occasional SSSC pity ports instead of putting Lunar 2 on a modern system.

Phatansy Star is doomed to be an otaku-focused build-a-waifu series now because of PSO2. More otaku have cummed to their 4'10'' moe elf girl waifu in the last year than the amount of people that would play a PSIII remake total.

Chrono Trigger will forever float around in IP purgatory.

We're never getting things like a modern Lunar 2 remake, PSIII remake, PSIV retranslation + remake , and anything new in the Chrono Trigger series. :sigh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cross-posted from Steam thread:

Is there any modern-ish RPG that's like Solar Winds? As in, you just fly around in your spaceship talking to aliens and solving problems while chill music plays in the background and you look at the pretty space graphics? I've already played the entire Mass Effect trilogy -- I'm thinking something more dialogue heavy, with less focus on combat.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i haven't played it but i heard that's basically what 'out there' is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Out There looks kind of involved, like an FTL. I'm thinking something much more chill and exploration-based, less so on punishing resource management.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

closeted republican posted:

Don't forget Breath of Fire becoming a mobile game!

exquisite tea posted:

Is there any modern-ish RPG that's like Solar Winds? As in, you just fly around in your spaceship talking to aliens and solving problems while chill music plays in the background and you look at the pretty space graphics? I've already played the entire Mass Effect trilogy -- I'm thinking something more dialogue heavy, with less focus on combat.

It's not modern (although it has yet to be surpassed in what it does, which is kind of astonishing in its own way), but I think what you're looking for is Star Control 2.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

dmboogie posted:

Now if only Vesperia could get on pc...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lunar is nearly dead. Dragon Song murdered any sort of chance for new sequels in the series and the only thing that's left are the occasional SSSC pity ports instead of putting Lunar 2 on a modern system.

Phatansy Star is doomed to be an otaku-focused build-a-waifu series now because of PSO2. More otaku have cummed to their 4'10'' moe elf girl waifu in the last year than the amount of people that would play a PSIII remake total.

Chrono Trigger will forever float around in IP purgatory.

We're never getting things like a modern Lunar 2 remake, PSIII remake, PSIV retranslation + remake , and anything new in the Chrono Trigger series. :sigh:

I don't get people that are sad about there not being more games in the Chrono series. Trigger was good because of all the good talent that came together to make it, and you wouldn't be able to get all those guys back again. And it's not like Trigger had amazingly unique mechanics that are missing from newer games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

Out There looks kind of involved, like an FTL. I'm thinking something much more chill and exploration-based, less so on punishing resource management.

Escape Velocity is a pretty good space trader that is relatively chill. Weird Worlds is also pretty decent at it. Both are far lower stress than FTL, which is more of an emergency management rogue-like.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Motto posted:

I don't get people that are sad about there not being more games in the Chrono series. Trigger was good because of all the good talent that came together to make it, and you wouldn't be able to get all those guys back again.

I'd like a Chrono Cross remake that makes sense without having to read 1000 fan theories. :smith:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

One of my dumb little impossible hopes is that Sega will eventually hand Phantasy Star off to Atlus and let them mess with it for a while. Who knows what would happen after that, but it couldn't any worse than Sega's own handling of the franchise or all those lovely Tri-Ace portable versions built on the lifeless husk of PSU.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I would never be satisfied with a Chrono Cross remake because the music would be remade and I know Yasunori Mitsuda could never make such an awesome soundtrack again. :colbert:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mill Village posted:

I would never be satisfied with a Chrono Cross remake because the music would be remade and I know Yasunori Mitsuda could never make such an awesome soundtrack again. :colbert:

Didn't he almost die making that one?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mill Village posted:

Mitsuda's track record is good enough that I would totally want him to take another swing. Xenogears Creid <3

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure there are any ongoing JRPG franchises I feel invested in anymore, I'll just play whatever is getting talked up these days. Maaaaybe kinda sorta whatever Atlus is doing on a given day?

Levantine posted:

Didn't he almost die making that one?
That was Trigger. He developed ulcers from overwork and Uematsu had in step in for a few tracks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not modern (although it has yet to be surpassed in what it does, which is kind of astonishing in its own way), but I think what you're looking for is Star Control 2.

Yeah, I kind of missed the boat on Star Control 2 and I regret it because it's a little hard to look at nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, I kind of missed the boat on Star Control 2 and I regret it because it's a little hard to look at nowadays.

There is at least an HD version now, but that's maybe not a huge help since it's just remastering a lot of really old assets.