Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

InnercityGriot posted:

It's just very charming. One of the few video games I've ever played that ever felt like it had a legitimately original vision in terms of its world and inhabitants. There are fairies, but even they are not very fairy-ish, and they get totally overwhelmed by all the strange original stuff like the ducks wearing military hard hats and throwing egg grenades.

I was just about to post that its about the only game I can say really has a ton of pure charm to it. Its a real shame they tanked the Mana series, they had a lot of really cool stuff in them.

I love cactus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Legend of Mana is like playing through a Fairy tale story book. Fun characters and gorgeous backdrops. Music was drat good too.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

Dr_Amazing posted:

Behamuts Lagoon, mentioned above, might have what you want.

Bahamut Lagoon is missing the real time movement that Ogre Battle has. It feels more like an FF Tactics or Ogre Tactics than Ogre Battle.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 30, 2014

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I'm going to stop gushing over Legend of Mana in the general RPG thread, but before I leave, I'll let this get stuck in your head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGOW-cP6b0&feature=related

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Xythar posted:

I liked SD3 a lot (beat it 3 times in fact) but I'm not going to call the combat deep. I got through most of the battles by just holding down whatever button made you auto-attack.

The character selection and class trees are pretty cool though.

When I say "deep" I'm usually referring to the plot, characters, setting, etc.

And by that criteria, I'm of the opinion that it's hard to top Legend of Mana for reasons already covered. And Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3 is nothing to sneeze at, either.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

InnercityGriot posted:

I'm going to stop gushing over Legend of Mana in the general RPG thread, but before I leave, I'll let this get stuck in your head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGOW-cP6b0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdNGePnnxoo

Dub

Baba Dubababa Dub.

Duba Dubba Duda, Dub?

Dud

:3:

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 5, 2010

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
LOM is so painfully underrated, like many of Square's greatest games in my opinion. I enjoyed LOM more than SOM and SD3, two games I spent hours on and loved to death as well.

The crafting system is a bit silly and highly unintuitive, but the game is just so beautiful, has excellent music and is relaxing to play. A shame we'll never see it on PSN since people hate it so much :rolleyes:.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Miketopus posted:

When I say "deep" I'm usually referring to the plot, characters, setting, etc.

I'd say those are SD3's weakest points. You can boil each of the characters down to a specific personality which very minimally changes over the course of the game, and the actual plot doesn't really innovate much aside from the three-way villain gangbang that goes on right up until the midpoint of the game (where the two other villain groups are disposed of with barely a word). Each villain's motivation rings hollow: the Lich wants to become a god (because he's crazy), the Dark Prince wants to become a god (so he can merge the Underworld with the main world), and the Dragon Emperor is, I dunno, just a huge dick and wants to rule over everyone. It just isn't a very good story. I still enjoyed the actual game itself, assuming you don't spam Angela's spells nonstop.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Sorry if I posted twice, centurylink is loving up and keeps taking away access to SA.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been playing Atelier Totori some more, and it really does stand apart from other JRPGs. The biggest difference is that story stuff only happens in RESPONSE to your actions, the game doesn't give you very much guidance other than that you have three years to complete your adventurer's license, working one day at a time. I guess Resonance of Fate was like that to to some extent, but this has a much more conventional combat system.

Rorona (this game's direct prequel, taking place in the same world and with most of the same characters) comes out in the US soon, right?

edit: goddamn is it ever girly though. Looking at Rorona, it looks like they took a step even further in that direction with Totori. Even the big burly blacksmith guy is secretly obsessed with frilly dresses.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 5, 2010

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Rorona (this game's direct prequel, taking place in the same world and with most of the same characters) comes out in the US soon, right?

It just came out, yeah. It's #1 in my gamefly queue. It's getting a lot of bad ratings. Only at a 6.4 :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JammyLammy posted:

Legend of Mana is like playing through a Fairy tale story book. Fun characters and gorgeous backdrops. Music was drat good too.

I played LoM to death and battled my friends almost every day as we tried to outdo each others magic instruments and see who could construct the most ridiculous golem. With that said, LoM suffered from this huge lack of direction. This is the difficulty with writing a sandbox game because you can literally beat LoM without coming to the conclusion of any storyline and I'm fairly certain some of them can be closed off forever if you do them wrong. I never did get a conclusion to that ruby hunter, the underworld quests, the centaur, the pirates, the dog who had the terrible lisp, and basically the only thing I finished were those two monks or something (a catgirl and some blonde guy without a shirt) that end up fighting and then THE END.

The game didn't provide any other guidance for possible storylines, gave me the sword of mana, and for some reason a goddess is evil and now I have to fight her. Okay, I went from stoned (er, petrified) pirates to killing god.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ankle-biter posted:

It just came out, yeah. It's #1 in my gamefly queue. It's getting a lot of bad ratings. Only at a 6.4 :(

It's really the kind of game that lives or dies on its characters. It's kinda hard to say if you'll really enjoy it, but I just know that man did I dislike most of the cast.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ImpAtom posted:

It's really the kind of game that lives or dies on its characters. It's kinda hard to say if you'll really enjoy it, but I just know that man did I dislike most of the cast.

Wow i cannot play this game. First off I have no idea what I'm doing, second off I can't even read anything in the menu, the font is too drat small.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Ryokashi posted:

Elona. Surprised I didn't see it mentioned yet (unless I missed it). The game is pretty detailed considering it having such a simplistic look. Nice karma system that lets you be evil if you want to, and run around slaughtering people for fun until you get hunted down by hordes of guards.

Awesome game that is almost ruined by Korean MMO levels of grinding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

casual poster posted:

Wow i cannot play this game. First off I have no idea what I'm doing, second off I can't even read anything in the menu, the font is too drat small.

What's giving you trouble?

Sadly, the font is indeed a gigantic and epic pile of poo poo, so nothing I can answer will help you there.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ImpAtom posted:

What's giving you trouble?

Sadly, the font is indeed a gigantic and epic pile of poo poo, so nothing I can answer will help you there.

Really whats giving me trouble is where I get my ingredients. I know I have to get them in the woods somewhere, but my party consists of two people who suck at giving damage. Should I level them up a little bit? Also the whole synthesis thing is still a mystery to me. If I squint really hard I can kind of make out the abilities of each item, but I'm still not sure how exactly it works. I just got my first assignment from the castle and they want me to make them some coal or something, but I have no idea where to get the recipe for that at.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ryokashi posted:

Elona
Elona has some pretty interesting mechanics, but surprise surprise, the Japanese take on roguelikes is really grindy and pretty impenetrable. I prefer the spinoff, Elona Shooter. which is a kind of RPG/tower defense hybrid that draws heavily from Elona.

e: well I guess that's not fair, Shiren and Izuna are pretty reasonable roguelikes. Elona is very JRPG though.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

casual poster posted:

Really whats giving me trouble is where I get my ingredients. I know I have to get them in the woods somewhere, but my party consists of two people who suck at giving damage. Should I level them up a little bit? Also the whole synthesis thing is still a mystery to me. If I squint really hard I can kind of make out the abilities of each item, but I'm still not sure how exactly it works. I just got my first assignment from the castle and they want me to make them some coal or something, but I have no idea where to get the recipe for that at.

If you go to the restaurant, you can recruit the dude with red hair to your party. Amongst other things, he gets a healing spell which makes your life a lot easier and you should be able to deal with enemies much quicker. Also, you should have an overabundance of Uni. Have Rorona throw them for massive damage. You can get more pretty easy, so don't be afraid to use items.

The synthesis stuff will be explained more in tutorials later. For now, just worry about making the base item, not the effects

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Dolphin Fetus posted:

LOM is so painfully underrated, like many of Square's greatest games in my opinion. I enjoyed LOM more than SOM and SD3, two games I spent hours on and loved to death as well.

The crafting system is a bit silly and highly unintuitive, but the game is just so beautiful, has excellent music and is relaxing to play. A shame we'll never see it on PSN since people hate it so much :rolleyes:.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/21/legend-of-mana-lands-on-playstation-network-next-week/

Like most of square's great games its out on the Japanese PSN with no indication of ever coming out anywhere else :smith:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I will never stop plugging tales games. So here, have a recommendation for Tales of the Abyss: Good plot Better plot than Tales of Symphonia! If there's something annoying all the Tales games fall for, it's the terminology. Just count the things that work with Fonons in this game, or Mana in Symphonia, or Blastia in Vesperia. Otherwise it's pretty cliched but enjoyable. Interesting characters Less idiotic characters than Tales of Symphonia! Some say the main character is annoying, but I find him pretty good. Although at least two of the big reveals would be avoided if some party members didn't keep their mouths shut. Legimately good battle system! It's basically a combination of fighter and RPG, though really light on the fighter part, as you don't really need skills to pull the moves off. The battles are mostly 2D, and you assign skills to a button + different directions.

Once again I find it difficult to explain why I love these games, because they're really quite mediocre. Maybe it's the battle system. Maybe it's nostalgia, as Symphonia was my first RPG. I still say everyone should try this out given the possibility. Also, heavy-handed suspension of disbelief is required.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tales of the Abyss is just an all-around good JRPG experience. I even kind of liked the plot and characters, despite both being kind of dumb at times as expected. The music was good, the battle system a HUGE step-up from Symphonia (and would later be made even better for Vesperia), a huge world to explore, lots of hidden extras, a very challenging optional boss, etc.

My only big complaints are that the load times are quite obnoxious for a PS2 game, the skits weren't voiced in the English release, and there is no sure-fire method to get enough Grade to buy everything like in Vesperia. Hopefully the load times will be fixed in the 3DS remake.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The sure-fire method is to play the game four times :downs:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I'm pretty sure tales of the abyss may be my next game, I might even start it when I get home if atelier doesn't start working out for me.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Oh RPG thread, what perfect timing you have. Been on a binge lately. Currently am working my way through Planescape Torment, and Arcanum is queued up after that. I've also nabbed Nehrim, The Spirit Engine 2, and Barkley:SUAJ

I'm kinda in the mood for heavy story/light grinding style RPGs. I have access to retro systems up to ps2/gamecube (via emulation) the PC, a DS & PSP. Any ideas of what I should be looking at next? (I'm also a bit of a gfx whore)

VVV Chrono is probably my all time favourite old school RPG. I've honestly have yet to beat it, but I keep playing it over and over, and something always happens just before or when I get to the final hour (lose a save, someone starts over my game, upgrade the psp and it breaks saves etc etc) I have it on the DS now tho! I'm going to replay it yet again at some point =E (And to think that once I beat it, there's still several other endings to explore). This game sorely needs a sequel. (Chrono Cross never existed)

Bats fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 5, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I assume you've played Chrono Trigger?

casual poster posted:

I'm pretty sure tales of the abyss may be my next game, I might even start it when I get home if atelier doesn't start working out for me.
The only thing is that the main character is really awful at the start, though it was mostly intentional and the other characters probably disliked him more than you the player would. It wound up being a fairly decent character development arc as a result though which is the important thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SD3 is a great game and everyone should play it. You've got six characters to choose from for a three-man party, and each character has four different classes to develop them into. Each party plays differently.

The best party is Hawk/Lise/Angela, not because it's particularly useful (no healing urgh), but because Hawk is a fuckin pimp.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I'm liking The Spirit Engine 2 a lot, but I just got to the Seabunker area and am having a lot of trouble with some of the encounters on normal difficulty, as in I can't get past the second group of enemies at all. Am I supposed to have done a bunch of level grinding (I'm currently at 41), or am I just playing poorly?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bats posted:

I'm kinda in the mood for heavy story/light grinding style RPGs.

Pick a PS1 JRPG, any PS1 JRPG. FFIX for example, I don't ever recall having to grind.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tales of the Abyss' load times are infuriating. There's really no excuse for them.

Also, the story is comprised entirely of random garbage techno babble. If you should find yourself having forgotten a single imaginary term you will become entirely lost in the sea of jargon and be unable to follow the conversations and story.

It also has a forced stealth section that made me quit forever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wendell posted:

Tales of the Abyss' load times are infuriating. There's really no excuse for them.

Also, the story is comprised entirely of random garbage techno babble. If you should find yourself having forgotten a single imaginary term you will become entirely lost in the sea of jargon and be unable to follow the conversations and story.

It also has a forced stealth section that made me quit forever.

Although you're right about the plot, if you fail the stealth section three or so times, the game lets you fight your way through it instead. (Assuming we're thinking about the same place.)

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Pick a PS1 JRPG, any PS1 JRPG. FFIX for example, I don't ever recall having to grind.

Yeah I totally need to go back and actually beat FFIX. FFVIII can go gently caress itself, and well FFVII was my first rpg/favourite ps1 rpg ever ever etc. Also loved the poo poo out of Brave Fencer Musashiden.

Any other recommends on that system? Stuff I may have missed that were not worth missing?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lemur Crisis posted:

I'm liking The Spirit Engine 2 a lot, but I just got to the Seabunker area and am having a lot of trouble with some of the encounters on normal difficulty, as in I can't get past the second group of enemies at all. Am I supposed to have done a bunch of level grinding (I'm currently at 41), or am I just playing poorly?

Are you using the smokescreen ability? your gunner in the front spamming smokescreen constantly can withstand a lot of pain. If you are really stuck on an encounter switching your gunner and your knight around so the one in the front spams defensive abilities and the one in the back spams aoe while the priest heals can take more normal encounters at that point.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Does anyone have any recommendations as to what type of character to play in Arcanum? Or what to avoid?

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Bats posted:

Also loved the poo poo out of Brave Fencer Musashiden.

Any other recommends on that system? Stuff I may have missed that were not worth missing?

I know you said PS1 but the ps2 remake of Bravefencer (yeah its not really a sequel) was worth it. Sure it's anime cranked to 11 but it got the feel of the original brave fencer down pretty well I felt. I mean the original one was a campy mess itself so if you can appreciate that one you can probably take the ps2 one.

Give Wild Arms a try if you haven't. Fantastic game that had the misfortune of coming out right around the same time as ff7 and being followed up by some very lackluster sequels.

Some love for SD3.. Personally I cant bring myself to REALLY like Sieken Densetsu 3 anymore. Its a fun pretty game but the endgame degenerates into cast buff, wait, cast buff wait, cast buff, wait, cast spell or special technique. then if at this point you havent insta killed everything on screen the enemy starts casting their own spells and locking down all the action. Ive had fights in the final areas that were no making GBS threads 5 minutes of spell casting where no one moved because EVERYTHING freezes while spell and special animations from characters and enemies alike play out. at that point its no longer intresting, just frustrating.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

niggapolis posted:

Are you using the smokescreen ability? your gunner in the front spamming smokescreen constantly can withstand a lot of pain. If you are really stuck on an encounter switching your gunner and your knight around so the one in the front spams defensive abilities and the one in the back spams aoe while the priest heals can take more normal encounters at that point.

For some reason I hadn't thought to use that or the immobilizing one. Making progress now!

Also everyone should try out The Spirit Engine 2.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

TheOriginalEd posted:

I know you said PS1 but the ps2 remake of Bravefencer (yeah its not really a sequel) was worth it. Sure it's anime cranked to 11 but it got the feel of the original brave fencer down pretty well I felt. I mean the original one was a campy mess itself so if you can appreciate that one you can probably take the ps2 one.

Give Wild Arms a try if you haven't. Fantastic game that had the misfortune of coming out right around the same time as ff7 and being followed up by some very lackluster sequels.

Some love for SD3.. Personally I cant bring myself to REALLY like Sieken Densetsu 3 anymore. Its a fun pretty game but the endgame degenerates into cast buff, wait, cast buff wait, cast buff, wait, cast spell or special technique. then if at this point you havent insta killed everything on screen the enemy starts casting their own spells and locking down all the action. Ive had fights in the final areas that were no making GBS threads 5 minutes of spell casting where no one moved because EVERYTHING freezes while spell and special animations from characters and enemies alike play out. at that point its no longer intresting, just frustrating.

Yanno, I was always curious about the PS2 Brave Fencer game, never did get a chance to play it. Will see if I can track it down and then see how well the emulation works for that specific game.

Wild Arms I recall starting but never finishing for some odd reason, but I did like the world/charm of that game... Should give that one a whirl too I suppose.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Speaking of Wild Arms, anyone have tips for me about to start out in Wild Arms 3? I bought it when it first came out and played it a bit but I remember having a lot of trouble/not getting far/giving up. I don't have anything to play at the moment and figure I'll start a new save after work today.

Not sure why I had trouble with it. I do remember really liking the wild west setting and atmosphere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ehhhhhh, Musashi Legends or whatever it's called is really easy and boring. I beat it in three days a few years ago and I completely forgot everything about the experience. All I remember is running around empty worlds, tons of backtracking, simple bosses, stupid puzzles, and a really boring story that had none of the charm of the original.

Pretty graphics, though.