Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Growing up, I somehow managed to never own a PSX, though I did frequently borrow one from my best friend, who was a gigantic RPG geek for the time. So that, combined with my fantastic inability to ever finish games, means that there's a ton of PSX-era games I've started but never gotten past the first third or half of the game. Now that I actually have some time on my hands I want to go back and finish some of them. Here's the list of what I'm looking at:

FFVIII
FFIX
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Tactics Ogre
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Xenogears
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Lunar SSSC
Star Ocean 2
Brave Fencer Musashi
FF XII (I know, not PSX, but I got it in college and never managed to finish it either)

Incidentally I also haven't actually finished FFVII but at this point I might just wait for the remake.

So looking at that list, what should I absolutely start with, especially if I were to only finish one game off the list? I have a lot of time now, but chances are good I will never in my lifetime actually finish all those games, so I want to kind of frontload it a bit. If it matters, my tolerance for games from that era is really pretty high and I can take a lot of weird JRPG jankiness without complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
legend of dragoon

or ffix I guess

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

theshim posted:

legend of dragoon

I can tolerate a lot of jankiness, but nothing about Legend of Dragoon felt that fun at the time I played it. Is it actually worth going back to or was that a joke?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

Growing up, I somehow managed to never own a PSX, though I did frequently borrow one from my best friend, who was a gigantic RPG geek for the time. So that, combined with my fantastic inability to ever finish games, means that there's a ton of PSX-era games I've started but never gotten past the first third or half of the game. Now that I actually have some time on my hands I want to go back and finish some of them. Here's the list of what I'm looking at:

FFVIII
FFIX
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Tactics Ogre
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Xenogears
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Lunar SSSC
Star Ocean 2
Brave Fencer Musashi
FF XII (I know, not PSX, but I got it in college and never managed to finish it either)

Incidentally I also haven't actually finished FFVII but at this point I might just wait for the remake.

So looking at that list, what should I absolutely start with, especially if I were to only finish one game off the list? I have a lot of time now, but chances are good I will never in my lifetime actually finish all those games, so I want to kind of frontload it a bit. If it matters, my tolerance for games from that era is really pretty high and I can take a lot of weird JRPG jankiness without complaint.

Valkyrie Profile.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MockingQuantum posted:

FFVIII
FFIX
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Tactics Ogre
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Xenogears
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Lunar SSSC
Star Ocean 2
Brave Fencer Musashi

SUikoden 2

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

I can tolerate a lot of jankiness, but nothing about Legend of Dragoon felt that fun at the time I played it. Is it actually worth going back to or was that a joke?
FWIW I actually enjoyed Legend of Dragoon, though it's a little heavy on grinding and stuff even for a PSX era game. I liked the timing for attacks in battle and I felt it made the game more enjoyable than turn-based RPG #975081.

It may not be for you, but I still like it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Valkyrie Profile.

I never played this back in the day, so I'm sure I'll get to it at some point... I just really want to cross some games off of my list of poo poo I've never finished. I hate having seen the first half of so many games, but never actually having experienced some of the big games in their entirety.

That is actually one of a small handful that I have finished. Multiple times. Because I have some sense.

theshim posted:

FWIW I actually enjoyed Legend of Dragoon, though it's a little heavy on grinding and stuff even for a PSX era game. I liked the timing for attacks in battle and I felt it made the game more enjoyable than turn-based RPG #975081.

It may not be for you, but I still like it.

Hmm... good to know. I'll add it to the list, but it won't be at the top for a while.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

MockingQuantum posted:

FFVIII
FFIX
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Tactics Ogre
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Xenogears
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Lunar SSSC
Star Ocean 2
Brave Fencer Musashi

FFIX or Tactics Ogre. Saga Frontier 2 if you like a cool game mixed with heavy obfuscation.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

FFIX or Tactics Ogre. Saga Frontier 2 if you like a cool game mixed with heavy obfuscation.

Those are the two I'm leaning towards the most, personally. I recently finished FFT WotL and I was kind of blown away with how much I liked it once I could actually follow the plot, so Tactics Ogre is particularly appealing to me.

Saga Frontier 1 & 2 I honestly kind of included on the list because if I could finish both I could lord it over my friend that lent them to me all those years ago. He took it as a personal affront that they were too "hard" for him to finish. That being said I don't mind obfuscation, from what I can tell the Saga games wouldn't offend me too much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MockingQuantum posted:

FFVIII
FFIX
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Tactics Ogre
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Xenogears
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Lunar SSSC
Star Ocean 2
Brave Fencer Musashi

The two Persona 2 games are great PS1 JRPGs that are only looked down upon now because they "show their age" or whatever dumb bullshit people in the Megaten thread say; since you're already in the mindset of playing PS1 JRPGs I can't imagine that part would really be a problem and honestly they are probably my favorite games from that system.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SaGa Frontier, totally

(Also Legend of Legaia :colbert:)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My favorites on that list are Breath of Fire 3 and Chrono Cross.

Also, I'm a huge LoD apologist, but if you don't like rhythm games I'd go ahead and skip it. If you don't mind them it's worth a look.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The two Persona 2 games are great PS1 JRPGs that are only looked down upon now because they "show their age" or whatever dumb bullshit people in the Megaten thread say; since you're already in the mindset of playing PS1 JRPGs I can't imagine that part would really be a problem and honestly they are probably my favorite games from that system.

Oh poo poo yeah I forgot to include Persona 2. I only have Eternal Punishment, but haven't ever finished (or played more than about 10 minutes of) that one. Adding it to my list. And agreed, I think saying a game "shows its age" is a dumb criticism, of course anything on the PSX will show its age now. I'm hoping I'll enjoy Persona, because honestly despite my best efforts, I could never get into the SMT series.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

SaGa Frontier, totally

(Also Legend of Legaia :colbert:)

Ugghh no, I don't think I can bring myself to add Legend of Legaia. Unless it's much better than I remember it being.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

You can't go wrong with any of those games! But my pick for first game would be Chrono Cross... probably. Musashi is super fun and fairly short IIRC.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
go with saga frontier 2, then, it's the best

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Play Brave Fencer Musashi or ya'll gonna get a lickin'.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh poo poo yeah I forgot to include Persona 2. I only have Eternal Punishment, but haven't ever finished (or played more than about 10 minutes of) that one. Adding it to my list. And agreed, I think saying a game "shows its age" is a dumb criticism, of course anything on the PSX will show its age now. I'm hoping I'll enjoy Persona, because honestly despite my best efforts, I could never get into the SMT series.

Well, to be honest, it's worth knowing whether a game "shows its age" or not, since not everyone's willing to put up with it, and not all games do it to the same degree. I can't speak for the PS1 Persona games since I've haven't played them, but something like the PS1 Spyro games still control really well, and only "show their age" in fairly minor ways, like bad voice acting and not having checkpoint saves, whereas many others can be really frustrating to get into nowadays, even if you're willing to deal with the age of the game. A pretty valid complaint, I think.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

go with saga frontier 2, then, it's the best

SaGa Frontier 2 doesn't let you transform into a sentai hero with your own theme music.

(On that note, I forgot about Wild Arms 2, which is also solid, translation aside.)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Play Brave Fencer Musashi or ya'll gonna get a lickin'.

Well maybe I'll start with this since it's the only suggestion that's carried the threat of bodily harm.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

SaGa Frontier 2 doesn't let you transform into a sentai hero with your own theme music.

(On that note, I forgot about Wild Arms 2, which is also solid, translation aside.)

Wild Arms is my wife's second favorite RPG series, after Dark Cloud. I will be only too happy if I never have to sit through another WA game in my lifetime. She plays through WA3 every year or so. I'm guessing even she couldn't tolerate another playthrough of 2 at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Musashi is pretty drat good barring a couple of annoying sequences (Steam Woods :argh: ) and has a cool soundtrack.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MockingQuantum posted:

Well maybe I'll start with this since it's the only suggestion that's carried the threat of bodily harm.

Yeah, I did it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8JUfABu58E

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

smenj posted:

Well, to be honest, it's worth knowing whether a game "shows its age" or not, since not everyone's willing to put up with it, and not all games do it to the same degree. I can't speak for the PS1 Persona games since I've haven't played them, but something like the PS1 Spyro games still control really well, and only "show their age" in fairly minor ways, like bad voice acting and not having checkpoint saves, whereas many others can be really frustrating to get into nowadays, even if you're willing to deal with the age of the game. A pretty valid complaint, I think.

The combat in the PS1 Persona games (especially 1, but also the 2's to a lesser extent) is a complete slog even for PS1-era games, and the encounter rate was way too high from what I remember. The story and characters are still fantastic, though, so I'd say they're still worth a try if you can stomach the gameplay.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Saga Frontier 2 is pretty much a straight JRPG with some twists, don't let it scare you. SF1 is definitely the oddball of those two.

If you have a PSP or access to a PSP emulator, then don't play PSX Tactics Ogre. Get the PSP Remake, even if it's not perfect it's still a way better play experience than PSX Tactics Ogre. However if you never played SNES Ogre Battle, then I'd add the PSX's version Ogre Battle. Although I'd still probably pull out an SNES Emulator for that one just for frame skip and avoiding load times.

Other random PSX titles that I think haven't been mentioned but should be played: Parasite Eve, Front Mission 3, Vandal Hearts, and Kartia.

[e] Oh yeah if I had your list in front of me and only had to choose from that list, I'd probably def start with Saga Frontier 2. Been a long time since I played it and it's enjoyable. I'd probably play ummm BoF3 after that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Compile Heart time

Fairy Fencer F on Steam today, $30 MSRP, $15 this week only

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dmboogie posted:

The combat in the PS1 Persona games (especially 1, but also the 2's to a lesser extent) is a complete slog even for PS1-era games, and the encounter rate was way too high from what I remember. The story and characters are still fantastic, though, so I'd say they're still worth a try if you can stomach the gameplay.

Yeah there are games that show their age by having random encounters or something, and then there's persona 2 which is actively unpleasant to play

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Compile Heart time

Fairy Fencer F on Steam today, $30 MSRP, $15 this week only

That's a good price point tbh (the sale price). It's a competent game but nothing that will blow socks off. Soundtrack is pretty good though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah there are games that show their age by having random encounters or something, and then there's persona 2 which is actively unpleasant to play

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah there are games that show their age by having random encounters or something

*shakes head*

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MockingQuantum posted:

Just a heads-up about FF8, it's an extremely divisive title. About half my friends who played Final Fantasy games when we were kids refused to even play 9 because they felt so burned on 8, and one of my bros from college played through 7 and loved it, tried 8 and stopped playing a couple hours in, and then didn't want to even bother with 9 because what if it was more of FF8.

Everything else on that list is straight classic poo poo (maybe skip Chrono Cross, that one's also divisive and, at times, mechanically obtuse and unforgiving). Vagrant Story and both SaGa games can be punishingly difficult, so just keep that in mind when you approach them and don't feel bad to use a walkthrough.

Star Ocean 2 has a bunch of different characters to recruit and you might wanna use a walkthrough so you can get the characters you think look cool, they're all pretty good (though Chisato, Bowman, and Ashton are better than others) but a couple of them are extremely :psyduck: to get to join your party.

quote:

It's on Steam and optimized for modern PCs, just pick it up when it's on sale. It's a good game that people misremember. Hopefully you can ignore the bad parts of that graphical era. Just pretend it's a stylistic choice.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 4, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hey guys in atelier rorona, where is lionela? she offered to come on an adventure but i can't find her in town

also in the interface, what do the stars with the blue ribbons next to them mean. sometimes there's 2, sometimes there are 3

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
"Shows its age" to me are usually those early 3d games that are horrifically painful on the eyes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

*shakes head*

Random encounters are bad outside of dungeon crawlers like EO, sorry to tell you

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Having played Tales of the Forsaken Land I'm of the opinion that random encounters are bad design even inside of dungeon crawlers like EO.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Davincie posted:

hey guys in atelier rorona, where is lionela? she offered to come on an adventure but i can't find her in town
I think she hangs out in an alley somewhere. Check around the main square.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Just a heads-up about FF8, it's an extremely divisive title. About half my friends who played Final Fantasy games when we were kids refused to even play 9 because they felt so burned on 8, and one of my bros from college played through 7 and loved it, tried 8 and stopped playing a couple hours in, and then didn't want to even bother with 9 because what if it was more of FF8.

Everything else on that list is straight classic poo poo (maybe skip Chrono Cross, that one's also divisive and, at times, mechanically obtuse and unforgiving). Vagrant Story and both SaGa games can be punishingly difficult, so just keep that in mind when you approach them and don't feel bad to use a walkthrough.

Star Ocean 2 has a bunch of different characters to recruit and you might wanna use a walkthrough so you can get the characters you think look cool, they're all pretty good (though Chisato, Bowman, and Ashton are better than others) but a couple of them are extremely :psyduck: to get to join your party.

It's on Steam and optimized for modern PCs, just pick it up when it's on sale. It's a good game that people misremember. Hopefully you can ignore the bad parts of that graphical era. Just pretend it's a stylistic choice.

Honestly of all the games on my original list, FF8 was the one I was most tempted to leave off entirely. I'm one of the bigger SE fanboys I've known of, and I couldn't stomach more than an hour or so of it. Chrono Cross I nearly played to completion, so I know what I'm getting into there, and I frankly had no issues whatsoever with the game.

I was mostly thinking of waiting for the FF7 remake because I'm curious enough to play through it, but probably not curious enough to play it if I finished the original game in the meantime. I'll just push FF7 into the second half of the list, and if I make it to it before the remake is released I'll give it a spin.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cake Attack posted:

Random encounters are bad outside of dungeon crawlers like EO, sorry to tell you

Even then you should probably try to think of something else

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nah at least for EO I'll defend random encounters as the better system, at least next to the usual alternatives like visible enemies you bump into

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If you want to hear more of my real smart opinions on game design, please subscribe to my podcast

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The only game I consider truly great on that list is Xenogears. FF9 would be great except I think the gameplay is really bad and not fun. Lunar's battles and dungeons are also repetitive and tedious. I think Grandia does the same type of thing (light hearted humorous kids going on an adventure story) as Lunar but does it better. Chrono Cross only has visuals and music going for it. Vagrant Story was a chore for me, best summed up by this review. http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/vagrant-story-psx/1/

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The first thing I do in any new EO game is find the class with the 'Reduce/Remove random battles' skill and max that poo poo out ASAP. In many EO games this is actually the optimal way to play because random battles are literally just a waste of your time.