Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
By all reports, FF15 didn't have much until Tabata took over so it wasn't really a money pit outside of a few cg trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

By all reports, FF15 didn't have much until Tabata took over so it wasn't really a money pit outside of a few cg trailers.

I'm pretty sure it had a playable build shown off as FF Versus at one stage, looking pretty Kingdom Hearts-ish gameplay-wise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Still no takers on Gex
Figure out how to make it a mobile game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Endorph posted:

FF14 is an mmo based on a hugely popular brand. Remaking it was not only a good will gesture, but it allowed them to A) reuse a lot of things they'd already made and B) will make them tons of money in the long run.
FF14 was basically a New Coke scenario too. The original was so bad and the new producer so honest about it that ARR seems like it got more goodwill than if it'd have come out good in the first place.

14 also has really good localization work. Like way better than I'd expect from an MMO. They must've run the numbers and determined the expected bank was huge.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I heard it's because they let the English division work on the script first, because Asian players don't give a poo poo about dialogue.
EDIT: The head of English localization is the setting writer and the English team creates content that's then localized back into Japanese apparently.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 12, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HGH posted:

I heard it's because they let the English division work on the script first, because Asian players don't give a poo poo about dialogue.

This isn't quite true, but the English localization lead is actively involved in the entire process from beginning to end, and does personally write some of the words which then get translated back into Japanese.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Gaijinworks did the same for Class of Heroes so it's a working model and I'm surprised it hasn't been more common.

Class of Heroes? I have that game on my PSP, charming little dungeon crawler. I just wish someone could localize the other games in the series. I think last time I checked they were already up to Class of Heroes 4 in Japan. We're in the West are all stuck with the first part. :sigh:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Libluini posted:

Class of Heroes? I have that game on my PSP, charming little dungeon crawler. I just wish someone could localize the other games in the series. I think last time I checked they were already up to Class of Heroes 4 in Japan. We're in the West are all stuck with the first part. :sigh:

No yeah 2 got crowdfunded and had a limited physical print run.

It's available on PSN right now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Class of Heroes sucks so good riddance

The real crime is not bringing Wizardry over AUGH

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Erg posted:

No yeah 2 got crowdfunded and had a limited physical print run.

It's available on PSN right now.

Wait what gently caress? The US-PSN? CoH2 is on the US-PSN? I have to go look immediately

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Libluini posted:

Wait what gently caress? The US-PSN? CoH2 is on the US-PSN? I have to go look immediately

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/class-of-heroes-2/cid=UP2039-NPUH10127_00-CLASSOFHEROES2PS

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I thought the Class of Heroes series was Vireland's latest crazy project he's willing to sink a company for. 2 did well enough that they did the PS3 remake and are advertising the third PSP game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's great news! For some reason I thought everyone in the West had just forgotten about Class of Heroes. I've put the CoH2-Remake down on my budget for fun purchases next month.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Wow, there are people who enjoy Class of Heroes? I got so excited for the first one and it was just...not fun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Wow, there are people who enjoy Class of Heroes? I got so excited for the first one and it was just...not fun.

For me, it's a mixture of nostalgia and a love of cute and adorable poo poo. It also helps that I have bad taste

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

What's bad about the Class of Heroes series? And what alternatives can you recommend on PC or Handheld?

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm pretty sure it had a playable build shown off as FF Versus at one stage, looking pretty Kingdom Hearts-ish gameplay-wise.

To be fair, it still is pretty Kingdom Hearts, however, a lot of people suspect the "playable build" shown prior to Tabata's work was mostly prototype, or possibly prerendered entirely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dackel posted:

What's bad about the Class of Heroes series? And what alternatives can you recommend on PC or Handheld?

The Class of Heroes series is just kind of boring low-quality dungeon crawlers. If you're looking for alternatives, Etrian Odyssey on the DS/3DS is usually considered the right blend of accessible and well-made.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kingdom Hearts is a very agile character action game that's all about mobility and spamming abilities. Unless I missed some new update in 2.0, FF15 is not that and more like combo-oriented Dragon Age Inquisition.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Dackel posted:

Probably half of the Vita's library is anime tiddy dungeon crawlers with better gameplay than Class of Heroes

As mentioned above though, the EO series is a Real Good take on Wizardry. See also: the actual Wizardry games, which got insanely popular in Japan and spawned a billion spinoffs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dackel posted:

Class of Heroes was Might & Magic to Etrian Odyssey's Wizardry and just like the early M&M games they went for a kitchen sink approach that's not at all balanced. I think Class of Heroes is for anyone who likes exploring every single avenue of character creation and as new things trickle out the optimal party layout changes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Obligatory dammit why isn't Bushin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo in English? post.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Zereth posted:

Did somebody mention liking bad music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsGaJ39dfs

http://youtubedoubler.com/gEmN

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Probably half of the Vita's library is anime tiddy dungeon crawlers with better gameplay than Class of Heroes

As mentioned above though, the EO series is a Real Good take on Wizardry. See also: the actual Wizardry games, which got insanely popular in Japan and spawned a billion spinoffs.

The early Wizardry-parts, you mean. For some reason Japan copied the earlier games. Which I consider incredibly boring. (I've started with Wizardry 8 and could never stand the older parts. Kind of weird how this nostalgia-thing works, considering I never had any problems with the older Might and Magic games. They're neat.)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Might and Magic is simply more accessible and less :black101: than Wizardry. I love basically every M&M game from 3 on (and I even love 2 in a kind of stupid way). I even played through IX (although I couldn't stomach it when I tried playing it a year or two ago). I've only ever played Wizardry 1 (the NES version at that) 7&8. I managed to beat 8, which while being the least brutal in the series took me 3 separate attempts over about 10 years. 7 seemed like it should have been right up my alley, but I just hit a wall and got frustrated and gave up on it.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

lol

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

that youtube doubler is gonna give someone a nervous breakdown

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doesn't really sound any worse than the normal one. I listened all the way through.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Atlus US said they changed new game+ for Legend of Legacy

quote:

So here’s the deal about the adjustments we made in bringing the game to the west. By and large, they mostly affect NG+.
In NG+, all the money and formations you designed now carry over. Any special weapons you created will also be available to purchase in the shop.

Drop rates for items and materials was increased across the board. Drop rate for rare items goes up in subsequent NG+. FICTITIOUS EXAMPLE TO ILLUSTRATE THIS POINT: The made-up drop rates for a rare item could be in the first 1st Game – 1%, in NG+ 5%, NG++ 8%, NG+++ 10% etc. Let me stress that these numbers are made up and I have no idea what they are for actual items.

Finally, the time it takes the trade ship to return is decreased substantially. The ship uses real-world time, and we’ve decreased the amount of time it takes to return.

Basically, the adjustments were to cut down on the amount of grinding in subsequent playthroughs, making NG+ a little more palatable for western audiences.

I'm not sure what the game is beyond being made by a bunch of ex-saga guys. Is it a rogue-like or something?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Cross-posting from the Steam thread but if you pre-order Tales of Zestiria on Steam right now you will get a free copy of Tales of Symphonia when it comes out on Steam next year. This offer has always been talked about but before it was still needing a bunch of pre-orders to unlock, now it is unlocked and any and all pre-orders are eligible for the free Symphonia.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

:regd08: http://youtubedoubler.com/gEs9 For best results, turn down the volume on the left one a tad.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 13, 2015

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0Qn4F5JtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO2N3TGDyk4

For some reason Gust is uploading Atelier Meruru trailers. The earliest Atelier game on their Youtube channel is Escha & Logy however so it might not mean anything other than an official upload.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Arland Atelier Trilogy out today on PS3. From how the box art looks, it has the original version of Rorona rather than Plus.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

iastudent posted:

Arland Atelier Trilogy out today on PS3. From how the box art looks, it has the original version of Rorona rather than Plus.

its been out for a while in europe and it does

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, all of NISA's collection releases are just the base, least upgraded versions of those games on PS3. They're a good bargain if you're late to the party, but you might be better off waiting for sales and just buying complete/updated versions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one should bother with the base version of Roronoa

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tae posted:

Atlus US said they changed new game+ for Legend of Legacy

I'm not sure what the game is beyond being made by a bunch of ex-saga guys. Is it a rogue-like or something?

nah, pretty standard saga-like rpg from what i've seen. there's a demo in the e-shop if you're in north america.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inflammatory posted:

nah, pretty standard saga-like rpg from what i've seen. there's a demo in the e-shop if you're in north america.

Be warned that Japanese reviews claim the game falls apart terribly in the second half where it becomes little more than grinding for hours between bosses.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

Be warned that Japanese reviews claim the game falls apart terribly in the second half where it becomes little more than grinding for hours between bosses.

It already starts feeling kind of annoying by the end of the demo, sadly. Not grinding so much as just too many pointless junk encounters getting in your way constantly. Seems like they tried to make a SaGa game but forgot about the good lessons learned along the way with that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I deleted the demo pretty quickly when I realized the enemy icons on the field don't represent the type of enemies you encounter. I kept getting wiped out by a group of dragonflies.