Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

that lady really loving loves lain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Grandia 2, good game. Since she came up earlier in the thread today, I didn't know that Jennifer Hale played Elena :v:

The epilogue doesn't hold a candle to Grandia 1, though. The first game got it right, the second game, I dunno, they seem to have missed what made the epilogue in Grandia 1 good. You don't pose a question ("where's Ryudo?") in the last ten minutes and then give a half-assed answer in the last thirty seconds. C'mon, guys.

Oh and the Eye of Valmar spell is just so drat overpowered. It works on everything, you can chain-stun bosses, and lock down the multi-part enemies because they need to move but the core can't. I love it!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 5, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I really wish I could play Adventures of Mana with buttons. This convoluted "use my phone as a controller on an android emulator on pc" setup I've got going isn't that great.

The new music is flipping fantastic though.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Huh, the VA change for Vert is a little more jarring than I thought. Least I'm now into the second story, about 8 hours in.

Loving all the new music, 60 FPS, dungeons, and monster models! Still not going to stop laughing at the Fenrir/dog-wolves that keep popping up, though.

EDIT: Oh gently caress, I can BUY IDEA CHIPS in the shop now!

Ozdhaka fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 5, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't think I've ever once attempted to play an RPG character as if he or she were myself. Named or blank slate. If it's a blank slate protagonist I invent one but they're never intended to be "me." I thought this was what everyone did.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nakar posted:

I don't think I've ever once attempted to play an RPG character as if he or she were myself. Named or blank slate. If it's a blank slate protagonist I invent one but they're never intended to be "me." I thought this was what everyone did.

Well, I mean, it's a roleplaying game. In a game like Mass Effect where a big selling point is making decisions, aren't you generally making those decisions based on your personal feelings on whatever the subject is?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, I mean, it's a roleplaying game. In a game like Mass Effect where a big selling point is making decisions, aren't you generally making those decisions based on your personal feelings on whatever the subject is?

Not necessarily. Roleplaying is also about the opportunity to craft a character that might be far different from yourself. Making decisions based on humor, entertainment, or completionism are just as valid, for what little choice matters in videogames.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

roleplaying is also something of a legacy term and describes something different than a game where you literally role play.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

roleplaying is also something of a legacy term and describes something different than a game where you literally role play.

also this. Not many videogames really let you "roleplay" in the traditional sense, and those that do are either straining against the limitations of the medium, or just leaving you to fill in swaths of the story with your imagination.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

NikkolasKing posted:

For many people the fun is in asking yourself "what would this character do in this situation," not necessarily "what would I do."

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Motto posted:

Not necessarily. Roleplaying is also about the opportunity to craft a character that might be far different from yourself. Making decisions based on humor, entertainment, or completionism are just as valid, for what little choice matters in videogames.

Pretty much this. I don't speak like single-digit-IQ-man irl, but boy, did that make playing through the original Neverwinter Nights alot of fun.

Also since it was mentioned., in say, Mass Effect, I would never do any of the poo poo a Renegade woul do, but boy was alot of that just fun. However, the best Mass Effect playthrough for me was in the first game, where I chose none of the Paragon or Renegade options and boy, does that Shepard gently caress up hard.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 5, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Motto posted:

Erebus posted:

For many people the fun is in asking yourself "what would this character do in this situation," not necessarily "what would I do."

I see what you guys mean. I played my first WRPGs a year ago and I tried to find a middleground. Like, Shepard is not me, and neither is the Warden, but I tried to imagine how I'd react if I was in their shoes and had their life experiences. ForShep was especially tricky because I had to imagine what being a soldier is like. I basically just imagined my FemShep as being like The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3. That was the best I could do at imagining a soldier's mindset/characterization. I thought it worked out well.

Motto posted:

also this. Not many videogames really let you "roleplay" in the traditional sense, and those that do are either straining against the limitations of the medium, or just leaving you to fill in swaths of the story with your imagination.

My first WRPG's were BioWare and I guess Obsidian since I played KOTOR II. Then I played Morrowind and Skyrim. Bethesda's philosophy is so different from BW's. Basically you just have to imagine everything in their games. You can do so much more in a Bethesda game but you have to just make believe the reasons why you are doing everything.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I do a little of column A, a little of column B. Generally I do what I think the "right" thing is but sometimes I do a thing where I think the result might be more fun or make for funnier dialog.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 5, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Sometimes I try to make decisions based on a character in mind but this always falls through because I'm too much of a wuss to do the "mean" choices. :( And this doesn't just happen with games everyone thinks are cruel like Planescape, I just get easily attached to fiction pixel people I guess.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 5, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
edit != quote

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mycot posted:

Sometimes I try to make decisions based on a character in mind but this always falls through because I'm too much of a wuss to do the "mean" choices. :( And this doesn't just happen with games everyone thinks are cruel like Planescape, I just get easily attached to fiction pixel people I guess.

I'm the same way, although I am not afraid to be a dick if it makes sense for my character. It's why I left David in Project Overlord. Hardest thing I've ever done in an RPG but my Shepard was loyal to Cerberus.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

I do a little of column A, a little of column B. Generally I do what I think the "right" thing is but sometimes I do a thing where I think the result might be more fun or make for funnier dialog.

I default to "bad guy who does good things." I'll happily do lots of "right" things but the definition of a bad guy is someone who's more than happy to kill someone over a lovely reason, and if an NPC is pissing me off or giving me the runaround and I get the dialog option for it, I'm taking it.

<mass_effect_2_party_emptying_clip.gif>

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ozdhaka posted:

Huh, the VA change for Vert is a little more jarring than I thought. Least I'm now into the second story, about 8 hours in.

Loving all the new music, 60 FPS, dungeons, and monster models! Still not going to stop laughing at the Fenrir/dog-wolves that keep popping up, though.

EDIT: Oh gently caress, I can BUY IDEA CHIPS in the shop now!
Apparently Tara Platt was outta town and couldn't do it so they got Carrie Keranen to replace her.
She tries her best to emulate her but all I hear is her Satsuki voice. She's still good though.

It's great to finally have a stable framerate off PC. Except in like the very first dungeon ironically. And there's one Nintendo themed dungeon that should really be the standard for designing the rest of them.
There was an unintentionally funny moment where one character goes "Oh no the city's gonna be destroyed by these feral monsters" and instead of using one of the new more serious looking designs it was... 4 chocobos in Santa hats and two wolves.
All the new battle themes are pretty great. I think one of my favourites plays for random field Bosses because it starts off with some ok electronic parts but then turns into something straight out of a Falcom game.

And yeah I think if you invest in commerce the shops expand their range of them? Haven't really checked.

EDIT: Looks like NIS are making another ClaDun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mj8k3aCrCY

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 5, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For the other neptunia players who actually paid attention to guides to get the true ending, how likely is it that I missed some of the necessary zero dimension scenes? The tasks you need to do in the hyper dimension chapter are involved enough that if I probably missed one I'll just wait for NG+ to get the true ending.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Honestly save yourself the trouble and keep it for NG+. The True ending does not change enough to be worth the trouble on the first go around, and NG+ gives you options like super running speed and super jumps. Skipping cutscenes, you can go from start to finish on NG+ in like 4 hours.
But really as long as you kept checking the Converse events after every major event you'll likely have seen them all. They're hard to miss. You're most likely to mess up in the G-dimension requirements cause of the timeframe necessary for some quests really.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tbh, skipping cutscenes and OHKOing monsters for four hours sounds pretty boring so I'll at least attempt True Ending the first time, and probably not bother with NG+ even if I fail if the ending isn't very different, as you say.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well it kinda is rather different, but gameplay wise there's not much of an extension.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm currently running through two import rpgs on older handhelds for my youtube channel, and am loving one and loathing the other.

Summon Night X on the DS has been surprisingly fun and competent if a bit heavy on dialogue, and it's making me want to try the other entries in the series. I adore traditional JRPG battle systems and this feels perfect, no action based combat but a little bit more than just attack, defend, item, etc. The difficulty also seems to be in a pretty perfect spot as while the random encounters and bosses can be a bit challenging the game is really generous with save points that restore you to full health you don't feel like you lost a ton of progress if you get stomped. It is -very- anime.

Rezel Cross on the PSP has been the complete opposite in terms of enjoyment and the only reason I'm sticking with it is because I'm stubborn and people have complained that there's little to no media/guides out there for the game. The combat so far (I'm admittedly only 5 chapters into the 19 chapter game) is bland and slow, and the 3D graphics on ugly 2D art just looks even worse after playing Summon Night with all of the great pixel art characters and such. The sound production is terrible for the most part, with the main battle music up til now being just.. mind numbing. I think I've come to expect better from PSP RPGs after playing gems like Sol Trigger and Last Ranker so this is probably not as bad as I'm making it out to be but I'm just not feeling it.

I don't see much talk about import games in here aside from people talking about potential NA releases, does anyone else play stuff like this? Obscure RPGs and strategy games from Japan, China or Korea that most people haven't even heard of?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Unfortunately, Summon Night X (which you left out the hilarious subtitle for, ~*~Tears Crown~*~) is pretty unlike everything else in the Summon Night series; they're SRPGs in the mainline games, and ARPGs in most of the spinoffs. I enjoyed it, though, even with some of the battle weirdness with the sky/ground stuff.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Verranicus posted:

I'm currently running through two import rpgs on older handhelds for my youtube channel, and am loving one and loathing the other.

Summon Night X on the DS has been surprisingly fun and competent if a bit heavy on dialogue, and it's making me want to try the other entries in the series. I adore traditional JRPG battle systems and this feels perfect, no action based combat but a little bit more than just attack, defend, item, etc. The difficulty also seems to be in a pretty perfect spot as while the random encounters and bosses can be a bit challenging the game is really generous with save points that restore you to full health you don't feel like you lost a ton of progress if you get stomped. It is -very- anime.

Rezel Cross on the PSP has been the complete opposite in terms of enjoyment and the only reason I'm sticking with it is because I'm stubborn and people have complained that there's little to no media/guides out there for the game. The combat so far (I'm admittedly only 5 chapters into the 19 chapter game) is bland and slow, and the 3D graphics on ugly 2D art just looks even worse after playing Summon Night with all of the great pixel art characters and such. The sound production is terrible for the most part, with the main battle music up til now being just.. mind numbing. I think I've come to expect better from PSP RPGs after playing gems like Sol Trigger and Last Ranker so this is probably not as bad as I'm making it out to be but I'm just not feeling it.

I don't see much talk about import games in here aside from people talking about potential NA releases, does anyone else play stuff like this? Obscure RPGs and strategy games from Japan, China or Korea that most people haven't even heard of?

Sure talk to me any time. A good company to check out is Flight Plan. They're the folks behind Summon Night and they did a ton of other tactical games, almost none of which made it Stateside. Try out their Black/Matrix series. The mechanics are clunky and old as hell (this was pre-FFT tactical gaming after all) but it has an interesting story (in fact it's the only game I've ever seen made by Japan where the angels are the good guys and the devils are the bad guys) and some fun stuff (creating and blowing up zombies is fun and broken as hell). Their other stuff is all worth checking out as well, including the rest of the Summon Night series.

Another crazy obscure TRPG you might have fun (???) with is Ningyo no Rakuin. It's a horror survival TRPG based around a lot of Lovecraftian lore. It's hard as all hell and hates you and plays exactly like what you'd expect a survival horror game to play like (extremely limited supplies, running is better than fighting etc) but the story, with all its references to Lovecraft, is pretty unique.

Finally there's also the Tokyo Majin Gakuen series, which is spread out across a bunch of platforms. It's about a school of kids who fight demons, though honestly I only know it by reputation. It's usually held in high esteem as a niche popular TRPG series in Japan (though be warned a few of the spinoffs are not TRPGs, including one first-person dungeon crawler on the PSP that I think is the latest game in the series).

Also don't miss Utawarerumono and Tears to Tiara. Both great TRPG series though they're very, very text heavy due to being hybrid visual novel/TRPGs.

Edit: Oh yeah and try out the sequels to Rhapsody as well. Rhapsody was kind of a cult classic in the US, being generally too easy and cutesy to be taken seriously, but it actually took off in Japan and got 2 sequels, both of which were quite a bit more solid than the original game. The series is called Marl Oukoku no Ningyou Hime in Japanese. The first sequel is called Little Princess and the PS2 3rd sequel is called Tenshi no Present.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 6, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

black/matrix 00 is notable for being released for the ps1 in 2004. I liked the way you could freely distribute exp after battles, wish more tactics games did that.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Getsuya posted:

Sure talk to me any time. A good company to check out is Flight Plan. They're the folks behind Summon Night and they did a ton of other tactical games, almost none of which made it Stateside. Try out their Black/Matrix series. The mechanics are clunky and old as hell (this was pre-FFT tactical gaming after all) but it has an interesting story (in fact it's the only game I've ever seen made by Japan where the angels are the good guys and the devils are the bad guys) and some fun stuff (creating and blowing up zombies is fun and broken as hell). Their other stuff is all worth checking out as well, including the rest of the Summon Night series.

Another crazy obscure TRPG you might have fun (???) with is Ningyo no Rakuin. It's a horror survival TRPG based around a lot of Lovecraftian lore. It's hard as all hell and hates you and plays exactly like what you'd expect a survival horror game to play like (extremely limited supplies, running is better than fighting etc) but the story, with all its references to Lovecraft, is pretty unique.

Finally there's also the Tokyo Majin Gakuen series, which is spread out across a bunch of platforms. It's about a school of kids who fight demons, though honestly I only know it by reputation. It's usually held in high esteem as a niche popular TRPG series in Japan (though be warned a few of the spinoffs are not TRPGs, including one first-person dungeon crawler on the PSP that I think is the latest game in the series).

Also don't miss Utawarerumono and Tears to Tiara. Both great TRPG series though they're very, very text heavy due to being hybrid visual novel/TRPGs.

Edit: Oh yeah and try out the sequels to Rhapsody as well. Rhapsody was kind of a cult classic in the US, being generally too easy and cutesy to be taken seriously, but it actually took off in Japan and got 2 sequels, both of which were quite a bit more solid than the original game. The series is called Marl Oukoku no Ningyou Hime in Japanese. The first sequel is called Little Princess and the PS2 3rd sequel is called Tenshi no Present.

Nice, thanks! I got into import gaming playing the Super Robot Taisen series so any more strategy stuff is always cool. I'd heard good things about Tears to Tiara and Utawarerumono years back but was never especially into PC games at the time, have either of them been fan translated yet?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

black/matrix 00 is notable for being released for the ps1 in 2004. I liked the way you could freely distribute exp after battles, wish more tactics games did that.
they did that in fe9/fe10 too, it was cool

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Nice, thanks! I got into import gaming playing the Super Robot Taisen series so any more strategy stuff is always cool. I'd heard good things about Tears to Tiara and Utawarerumono years back but was never especially into PC games at the time, have either of them been fan translated yet?

Tears to tiara II got an official ps3 release

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Verranicus posted:

There are fan translations for the PC games but they're also pornos and the gameplay isn't as refined as the console versions. I'd say go for the console versions instead.

Also the PS2 version of Utawarerumono has an awesome theme, which the PC version did not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzMCnHFIHdc

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Endorph posted:

they did that in fe9/fe10 too, it was cool
Bonus Exp was a really good idea and helped a lot and I hope it comes back at some point. I especially liked getting more for completing certain objectives and I wish they'd done more with that than they did. The big one was the jailbreak mission if you did it with actual stealth, which was quite unusual for a FE objective. Given the better map design and such in Fates maybe we'll see more stuff like that in the future.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

part of the problem with bonus exp though is that while you can do it like you're supposed to (catching up underleveled units, using it carefully) you can just dump it on a couple of units and totally break the game's curve

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Endorph posted:

part of the problem with bonus exp though is that while you can do it like you're supposed to (catching up underleveled units, using it carefully) you can just dump it on a couple of units and totally break the game's curve
They can probably figure out a solution to that, although I don't know what the most elegant one would be. It was clearly designed around what you said and also bumping units up a level while in base to give them a little boost before the next map, but people exploited it pretty ruthlessly with the Marcia (or whoever) stacking in 9 and cap-ramming to get off-stats in 10. If they can address that somehow it'd be fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, what, making it so you can only put a certain amount of exp into units between chapters? That'd kind of just ruin the point.

Not to mention increasing staff EXP so much like they did in awakening and fates kind of solves the main issue BEXP fixed. Side objectives are cool but you can have them without BEXP, just spit out some item reward or a character for completing them instead, like what FE5 does.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You could make it so you can't give BEXP to your highest level unit, I guess.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

WrightOfWay posted:

You could make it so you can't give BEXP to your highest level unit, I guess.
It isn't really a huge problem to give somebody like 8 experience to bump them up a level when they failed to fully level up in the last one, which is a good and non-exploitative way of using it. And if you start dragging in weird averaging or something the system becomes a lot less transparent and comprehensible. It's still very useful, but it isn't exactly the same thing if you start restricting it according to levels. You could just give it severe diminishing returns if you use too much of it past a certain character level though, so it remains mostly useful for small payouts and character catchup. You just want to avoid making it super exploitable and I don't know how best to do so.

With weapons being infinite use as of Fates you could do what Endorph said and just reward stuff like unique weapons for objectives instead, though I'm not sure I quite agree that the staff exp change fixed attackless healers (it did help a lot, though).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of bonus exp I wish Soul Nomad had it because it's becoming harder and harder to raise new troops the further in I get. I want to raise up a bunch of Redflanks to make a party for my new character but I can't make a party of level 1s and splitting them up between everyone else's parties to level until they're ready is a pain. Guess I'll just grind on low-level inspections.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can raise a character's level when you're making them, you know. It makes them cost more but HL is in abundance.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
... what

... WHAT!??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah you can do it up to revya's level.