Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Getsuya posted:

Anyone know why we didn't get PSO2?

SOA wanted to bring it over, SOJ told them to get hosed but were totally happy to let some lovely South East Asian mob put out a version with terrible terrible changes (giving outfits stats and making them bind on character instead of non-binding, which in turn fucks the game's economy because 80% of it is dressup, using old PA/tech stats on updated formulas so you have a normally bad Zonde-type tech hitting for 20k*8 and dwarfing everything else when it should be hitting maybe 2000*8, etc).

Then again, given how PSU got with the content disparity between JP/NA-EU and how SOJ treated other things (such as PSO1&2 Xbox's "endless Christmas")..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anybody fawning over the what-could-have-been promise of Suikoden and Xenosaga' sprawling multigame narratives owes it to themselves to play the Trails games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
and anybody who wants a new Brave Fencer Musashi or Threads of Fate should play Nayuta: Endless Trails cause it's not really actually related to the other Trails games at all, instead it is that game and it owns

or, if you played gurumin, it's like that but without all of the glaring design flaws and control issues

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 10, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mill Village posted:

There was supposed to be six Xenosaga games, so that might have actually happened had 2 been successful. That failed enough for them to just cram everything into the 3rd game apparently. Its too bad because its pretty clear where part 3 should have ended.

Weren't there supposed be six Xenogears games too or something?

Or maybe it was nine things, and I believe the game Xenogears and some book is all that happened.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Honestly I just want the guys who wrote the stories for these series to go 'you know what, maybe we don't need to make them games' and just write some original novel series based in the worlds they created. I hate how JRPGs force you to deal with gameplay to see their stories. I just want the stories, honestly. Why can't the next Suikoden or Wild Arms or whatever be a cool long novel series where they don't have to try to balance gameplay with plot and just have 100% plot.

Is what I think until I remember that 99% of Japanese novels aimed at teens are paint-by-numbers wish-fulfilment harem comedy BS.

But at the very least it seems kind of odd that no Japanese author (or person at Squeenix) has said 'Hey let's have a Final Fantasy novel series that is an original story with Final Fantasy series trademarks in it rather than a novelization of one of the games'. I mean they made that weird rear end CG movie that was its own thing, why not roll the dice on light novels, which are crazy popular right now?

what meaningful differences would the final fantasy trademarks such as chocobos and a man named cid make on your run of the mill fantasy novel

i'm not even trying to be snarky, if you just want silly fantasy or western or fantasy western stories without a battle system there's a wide world of stuff out there waiting for you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

anyway, has there ever been an rpg where the hero, when confronted by an obvious backstabbing advisor or another of the slimy and shady sort has just killed them and got the whole thing over with? same goes for all those drat scenes where a bad guy invites you to their place to taunt you
yggdra union

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

yggdra union

wait really?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zaggitz posted:

Anybody fawning over the what-could-have-been promise of Suikoden and Xenosaga' sprawling multigame narratives owes it to themselves to play the Trails games.

That just shifts the agony from "will never be made" to "will never be translated".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i remember the sequence with the evil church as yggdra going 'those guys seemed kind of...' and milanor going 'holy poo poo those dudes are so evil' and then that one templar guy going 'yeah, they're incredibly evil' and then you kill them and their assassin henchman who has 2 lines but is in the op for some reason

it's been a bit though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

That just shifts the agony from "will never be made" to "will never be translated".
not really, a good chunk of the series is translated. we're missing the crossbell arc and skies 3rd but everything new that comes out will probably get translated now that they've got the cold steel train rolling.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
even if xseed for some reason never translates the crossbell arc, there at least seem to be fans translating 3rd and crossbell so you'll probably be able to experience them in some form with time

and really, as long as ao gets a pc port, there's no reason xseed couldn't come back to it some day since 3rd and zero are already covered, and zero's port was an official job released by falcom in 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Weren't there supposed be six Xenogears games too or something?

Or maybe it was nine things, and I believe the game Xenogears and some book is all that happened.

Xenogears is part 5 of the "Xeno Saga" or whatever in the credits.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think it was Xenosaga that was supposed to be 6 parts, which is why the pace is glacial to start and then speeds the gently caress up, because they started compressing what was supposed to be multiple games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the way i hear it is that xenosaga episode 1 is exactly as planned, then for xenosaga episode 2 the lead guy on development and story stuff got kicked off and it focused on a random side character, and by the time they got back on for episode 3 poo poo was all hosed and they had no real hope of ever finishing things the way they set out to

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're two different series with shared themes though because Square owns all the Gears stuff.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

The Colonel posted:

and anybody who wants a new Brave Fencer Musashi or Threads of Fate should play Nayuta: Endless Trails cause it's not really actually related to the other Trails games at all, instead it is that game and it owns

or, if you played gurumin, it's like that but without all of the glaring design flaws and control issues

Isn't that the one with the terrible fan translation?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaggitz posted:

Depends. Part of the Suikoden charm is that your personal lore carried over. They talk about your named castle from Suikoden 1 and you even meet the hero with whatever name you gave him (well, these were glitched, but still). In the third game, it turns that you named an entire country in S2, how awesome is that? It kinda peaked in Suikoden 2 where you could recruit the hero from the first game and he was as overpowered as you would imagine, but just getting a couple middling weapons is so :geno: in comparison.

Suikoden 3 was pretty guilty of that, really, but the lead left halfway in, so it kinda makes sense that they maybe lost sight of what made the data import so cool.

It's the small details that made the data export and ongoing history fun because it felt like you were kinda making your own world. Mass Effect discarded your choices and Dage was even worse and you never felt like you actually did anything permanent. You'd think more games would do this because preserving minor persistent details and giving you some earth-shatteringly cool rewards is much easier to implement than a long-play branching storyline that changes hugely depending on what you did in the first game or whenever, but they never did.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 10, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eopia posted:

Isn't that the one with the terrible fan translation?

the fan translation is awkward and bad, but it's comprehensible enough to understand what's going on and the strength of the game isn't really in the writing, it's in the gameplay and atmosphere and level design and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8upj1kflB74

in short, it's worth dealing with to play A Really Good Game

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

In some messed up way I kinda miss the times when some developers would have the gumption to think "Yes, this new series will get at least half a dozen entries so our first game is gonna be somewhere in the middle of the story" and then they never get to fully finish it the way they want to

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Srice posted:

In some messed up way I kinda miss the times when some developers would have the gumption to think "Yes, this new series will get at least half a dozen entries so our first game is gonna be somewhere in the middle of the story" and then they never get to fully finish it the way they want to

It's endearing, if nothing else.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

x

The Colonel posted:

the way i hear it is that xenosaga episode 1 is exactly as planned, then for xenosaga episode 2 the lead guy on development and story stuff got kicked off and it focused on a random side character, and by the time they got back on for episode 3 poo poo was all hosed and they had no real hope of ever finishing things the way they set out to

the first game was SUPPOSED to have all the stuff in episode 1+2. turns out fitting all that in one game was more complicated than first thought. his story was basically ripped away from him and turned into garbage halfway through 2.

i hear the thing about xenogears being 'episode 5' of the six-part series a lot but I'm not sure where that info comes from.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It calls itself 'episode 5' after the credits when you finish the game and I think there's a book with some info about it (Perfect Works?).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

i hear the thing about xenogears being 'episode 5' of the six-part series a lot but I'm not sure where that info comes from.

And the Perfect Works artbook goes into what the other episodes would be. IIRC 1 ends with the crash of the Eldridge, 2 all that Kain and Abel in the desert stuff you see in some flashbacks, 3 is Zeboim, 4 is Lacan's misadventures, and 6 is the aftermath.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ah I forgot about that. it's understandable that people would see a "xeno" game with episode 1 in the title and then assume xenogears fit in somehow. zeboim and the lacan game would be neat.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The White Dragon posted:

Depends. Part of the Suikoden charm is that your personal lore carried over. They talk about your named castle from Suikoden 1 and you even meet the hero with whatever name you gave him (well, these were glitched, but still). In the third game, it turns that you named an entire country in S2, how awesome is that? It kinda peaked in Suikoden 2 where you could recruit the hero from the first game and he was as overpowered as you would imagine, but just getting a couple middling weapons is so :geno: in comparison.

Suikoden 3 was pretty guilty of that, really, but the lead left halfway in, so it kinda makes sense that they maybe lost sight of what made the data import so cool.

It's the small details that made the data export and ongoing history fun because it felt like you were kinda making your own world. Mass Effect discarded your choices and Dage was even worse and you never felt like you actually did anything permanent. You'd think more games would do this because preserving minor persistent details and giving you some earth-shatteringly cool rewards is much easier to implement than a long-play branching storyline that changes hugely depending on what you did in the first game or whenever, but they never did.

Trails in the Sky First Chapter carries over knowledge of basically every single quest you do in it to Second Chapter, where you can interact with the npcs you helped last time around and see how helping them affected them. In trails to Zero/Ao and Trails of Cold Steel the event of the Sky games are spoken of, since they happened literally across the border from the countries those two arcs take place in. Hell in Trails to Zero you can have the Main characters of Sky FC and SC join your party for the final dungeon.

There's also the fact that each game has a full blown novel you can find chapters of and read which often foreshadow upcoming event and characters in muuuuuuuuuch later arcs. For example, the protagonist of the book your read in FC doesn't even make a physical appearance until Cold Steel 1, which is a whole 4 games later.

Granted this isn't exactly the same as what you are describing, because Falcom aren't insane and would never try to do carry over save stuff between generations of consoles, but it does do it per arc which is really satisfying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The main thing I liked about Suikoden is the going around collecting people to build up your base and I wish more games would do that.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Looper posted:

what meaningful differences would the final fantasy trademarks such as chocobos and a man named cid make on your run of the mill fantasy novel

i'm not even trying to be snarky, if you just want silly fantasy or western or fantasy western stories without a battle system there's a wide world of stuff out there waiting for you

While I agree that the specific FF trappings might not make a mediocre fantasy novel any better, are there really that many fantasy novels out there that are about a misfit group of angsty teens/young adults throwing around cool magic, summoning huge monsters and punching God or the Incarnation of Death or whatever until it leaves the world alone?

I mean yeah there's the Wheel of Time but I've already read that one (though it is arguably The Most JRPG Novel Series in America if anyone hasn't tried it yet)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dis astranagant posted:

And the Perfect Works artbook goes into what the other episodes would be. IIRC 1 ends with the crash of the Eldridge, 2 all that Kain and Abel in the desert stuff you see in some flashbacks, 3 is Zeboim, 4 is Lacan's misadventures, and 6 is the aftermath.

It's for the best really, save for maybe the first one ending with the crash of the Eldridge and 6, because all those other events fundamentally wrap up in Xenogears anyway so they'd all just be 30-50 hours of prequelitis.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's for the best really, save for maybe the first one ending with the crash of the Eldridge and 6, because all those other events fundamentally wrap up in Xenogears anyway so they'd all just be 30-50 hours of prequelitis.

Pretty much. 2-5 are very cyclical, so you'd get pretty sick of the same plot beats fast.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure Episodes I-IV were ever really billed as campaigns you'd eventually play in future Xenogaers games, rather just a quirk of how they decided to divvy up the lore for Xenogears/Perfect Works. The only one I think that might not have have been the case for is Episode VI because they bothered to include it in PW but there's so little actual information about it in the book, as if they were expecting there to be a game to flesh out those details.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So I picked up episode 3 in a trade. Is it a worth a playthrough?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think it's bad. not even in an entertaining way. i think most people in this thread who've played it have enjoyed it though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The combat is super simple as a reaction to 2 and I don't know how much you'd get out of the story if you haven't played the first two but other than that it's not too bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RadicalR posted:

So I picked up episode 3 in a trade. Is it a worth a playthrough?
Xenosaga? Yeah, sure. It probably has the best gameplay in the series mostly because it simplifies everything and since they had to wrap up the whole series in one game things actually happen for a change.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

a lot happens in 1+2 though.

xenosaga 1 probably had the best combat. the event reel was a good idea.

this was rad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq-FY4wLUr4

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 10, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah I wouldn't completely skip 1&2 before playing 3. Maybe watch the cutscenes on youtube if they are there or watch a LP or something I guess.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just hope they keep porting older console games to PC like they have been in the last few years. I have a PS3 buy mainly use it for playing a few import games and for Netflix and would adore seeing some of the heap of JRPGs I never got the chance to play brought over to PC.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Xenosaga 3 contains a decent recap of the first two games anyway, never play 2 if you can avoid it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Xenosaga 3 contains a decent recap of the first two games anyway, never play 2 if you can avoid it.

Yeah, 1 is a pretty fun game, but just watch 2's cutscenes or read a synopsis or something because it is painfully bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Not a day goes by that I don't regret playing Xenosaga. Thrice as bad the Golden Sun games with how much it had no respect for your time.