Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The ironic thing is that Sonic games are usually the best example of "but at least the soundtrack's good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Looper posted:

i think this is kind of a dumb thing to say. i like a lot of games that are bad or flawed, and also that it's okay to like them

I like flawed games. Flawed games can be good. Resident Evil had poo poo script, acting, and story, and it had awkward controls. Not only was it good, it was fantastic. None of those flaws matter if it's an enjoyable experience. I wouldn't call any game I enjoyed bad. Unless the enjoyment came from making fun of it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Speaking of liking bad games, I love Wild Arms 4 to bits but I couldn't stand WA5 for more than ten hours or so. I'm poo poo!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The only game I really enjoy that I've ever been told is generally considered bad is Silent Hill 4, and while I agree it might not be a good Silent Hill game it is a very good supernatural ghost game.

Edit: I did really like the anime Gundam Seed though so I don't have to feel too left out in having apparently poo poo taste.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 11, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yo what did the GBA release of FF6 fix? This is news to me!!

Getsuya posted:

The only game I really enjoy that I've ever been told is generally considered bad is
Mine is Ni no Kuni. I'm pretty happy they're making a second one!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Off the top of my head I know they fixed things like Blind, elemental resistances/weaknesses and the evade stat. So shields do things besides absorb elements now.

The music got poo poo on though so if you're playing an actual cartridge expect bad sound quality. There are fixes for the rom though.

Edit: I also liked Ni no Kuni a lot. Was that considered bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Mine is Ni no Kuni. I'm pretty happy they're making a second one!

It fixed a bunch of bugs. The most fundamental one though is that Evade literally didn't work, your M.Evade was used for both. This meant, among other things, that Blind was literally a meaningless status effect. (And also hilariously that the item Goggles did nothing at all.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Getsuya posted:

Edit: I also liked Ni no Kuni a lot. Was that considered bad?
Yeah the battle AI made everyone's lives miserable and the tacked on extra content is of dubious quality.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lots of people liked Ni no Kuni, making themselves the only people ever to have an objectively incorrect opinion

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Yeah the battle AI made everyone's lives miserable and the tacked on extra content is of dubious quality.

Oh. I never really experienced the bad parts of the AI I guess because I played as the healer girl and the AI seemed to be pretty good at whacking things mindlessly until they died while I focused on keeping them alive with magic.

Edit:

Cake Attack posted:

Lots of people liked Ni no Kuni, making themselves the only people ever to have an objectively incorrect opinion

Sweet. Feels good to be a part of something.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

It fixed a bunch of bugs. The most fundamental one though is that Evade literally didn't work, your M.Evade was used for both. This meant, among other things, that Blind was literally a meaningless status effect. (And also hilariously that the item Goggles did nothing at all.)

Technically it wasn't quite meaningless.

Being blinded stopped Strago from learning Lores.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Verranicus posted:

The Thames was a good and cool JRPG location.

captain :woof: owns

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
He was a ... man... OF THE SEA! :colbert:

Also, a Walrus.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The worst part about Xenogears is the text box speed. I think that alone adds 10 or more hours to the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

And FF7 went on to have a glitch that didn't give you the magic defense boosts from armor or something. Which makes me wonder how easy it was supposed to be if no one caught that.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

WrightOfWay posted:

The worst part about Xenogears is the text box speed. I think that alone adds 10 or more hours to the game.

I can agree that despite being a good game, this was a major problem I had with Xenogears.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Last Celebration posted:

And FF7 went on to have a glitch that didn't give you the magic defense boosts from armor or something. Which makes me wonder how easy it was supposed to be if no one caught that.
Yeah, magic damage is pathetic in FF7 and only by Magic Defense on armor not working do things like the Jenova fights have any chance of killing you (and then only if you don't equip elemental blocking gear). If it had worked the enemies would be even less dangerous than they are.

Arguably the Evade bug in FF6 was the same issue, the game was easy enough that you never needed Evade so you had no real way of noticing it wasn't working right, especially since everybody still had some MBlock and thus would appear to be blocking things. And players don't complain when all their attacks are hitting. And almost every special attack had a perfect hit rate. They did catch one enormous bug from the Japanese 1.0 to the US release (the equip-anything-anywhere bug, leading to the "Drill Hat" meme in the JP community), but never caught the Sketch glitch or Evade until FF6A.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

Yeah, magic damage is pathetic in FF7 and only by Magic Defense on armor not working do things like the Jenova fights have any chance of killing you (and then only if you don't equip elemental blocking gear). If it had worked the enemies would be even less dangerous than they are.

Arguably the Evade bug in FF6 was the same issue, the game was easy enough that you never needed Evade so you had no real way of noticing it wasn't working right, especially since everybody still had some MBlock and thus would appear to be blocking things. And players don't complain when all their attacks are hitting. And almost every special attack had a perfect hit rate. They did catch one enormous bug from the Japanese 1.0 to the US release (the equip-anything-anywhere bug, leading to the "Drill Hat" meme in the JP community), but never caught the Sketch glitch or Evade until FF6A.

They did in fact catch the Sketch glitch, sort of; there's a 1.1 version of the US cart that doesn't have it (though the 1.0 is more common), and as a result it's not in Anthologies either.

I don't think 1.1 fixes anything else, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Nakar posted:

It sounds like they didn't catch it, but did notice magic damage against PCs was high and lowered it in general.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's hard to say because FFs often lowball how much damage enemies do to you in the SNES and PSX eras. They're not really made to be tremendously difficult games, and even in FF8 you only get screwed over because enemies level with you and tend to out-stat you unless you use the stat-boost junctions. So it's possible they thought enemy magic damage was high without realizing magic defense didn't work and lowered it, but it's equally possible they set enemy magic attack exactly where they wanted it and didn't notice it was too low because the player couldn't lower it.

FF games started somewhat difficult (possibly by accident) but dropped off pretty hard between FF4 and FFX. The PS2 era and on seem to have at least some notion of challenge, even if you could break X and XII in some respects. But at least those games had some enemies that were genuinely threatening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Steam (and perhaps the PS4, I haven't checked) ports of FF7 actually fix the MD bug.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
FFX was less challenging and more that it sprung frustrating as poo poo bosses on you a couple times throughout the game when all the others were cakewalks. (Seymour, Yunalesca)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Playing as a kid, I found the last boss and crystal dungeon of FF4 to be so damned hard. Even as an adult, the last time I played through I had a tough time with some of the endgame, though maybe it was because I was playing the "hard" version... Which isn't actually that much harder than the US and Easy Type versions, so I don't know.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

After replaying it, I think FFXIII is the hardest FF I've played. Orphan still kicks my rear end. I know I can chump it with Poison but that's how I won first time so I wanted to win more "fairly" this time. I understand the battle system now better than I did my first time and am much stronger to boot. But Poison + that sword attack just does me in every time. Oh sure it's all simple until about half its health is gone then it can do the sword move any time plus some otehr attack so while I'm desperately trying to build the stagger gauge it busts outa move that kills me.

And I can't just pack two Poison resistance accessories on people because I also need Death resistance. Bleh. Eventaully I just gave up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Any word on if Odin Sphere Leifthrasir will have dual audio?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Any word on if Odin Sphere Leifthrasir will have dual audio?

I believe it does, i'll search for where that was confirmed.

Bravely Default Question: My crew has Free Lunch & Amped Strike and I've got somebody working as a BP battery. Is there anything stopping me from trouncing the rest of the game?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Golden Goat posted:

I believe it does, i'll search for where that was confirmed.

Bravely Default Question: My crew has Free Lunch & Amped Strike and I've got somebody working as a BP battery. Is there anything stopping me from trouncing the rest of the game?
Try your luck against some bonus bosses in chapters 5, 6, and especially 7 and find out!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Has this thread given time to talk about Star Ocean 3. It is one of my favorite jrpgs if only, because you're allowed to completely wreck the game crafting/synth system and thus voiding the need to grind levels. I never cared about the plot twist and I distinctly remember the monumental shitstorm it created.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Has this thread given time to talk about Star Ocean 3. It is one of my favorite jrpgs if only, because you're allowed to completely wreck the game crafting/synth system and thus voiding the need to grind levels. I never cared about the plot twist and I distinctly remember the monumental shitstorm it created.

i've never played it but i'd like to hear more of what you have to say about it :)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Try your luck against some bonus bosses in chapters 5, 6, and especially 7 and find out!

I have already murdered the poo poo outta the first crystal set on chapter 5. Turns out doing 9999x9 damage murders the gently caress outta everything.

I suppose I should have a tank with me though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Star Ocean 3 is one of my favorite lovely games, upon replaying it recently I forgot just how soulcrushing the grind to 100% map areas could be because there were a million little nooks and crannies you had to walk into if you wanted to get that missing .15%

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Personally I think that calling the people who like a game weird even though you've never played it, to be a weird action.

Yeah that would be horrible. Luckily we here are too nice for that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Looper posted:

i've never played it but i'd like to hear more of what you have to say about it :)

You go around as mr. anime main character with your friends from backwater worlds (that you cannot reveal your true identity at first because PRIME DIRECTIVE) and there's some war going on, and then your childhood friend shows up and she uses magic, but that's irrelevant because you get a badass girl with a gun whom you can engineer and synth rare minerals onto (the gun, not the chick) and dispose of boss characters in 1 or 2 shots thanks to the battle gauge bonuses and base damage stats. There's about a million endings and other alternate boss fights.

e: also saying the right thing at the right moment to a character helps unlock some of those alternate endings but I've never bothered and don't think I ever will.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I tried playing Star Ocean 3 a month ago and near the start while the main character and his childhood friend are talking about what to do at the resort and this ridiculous love song starts playing with vocals being a little too high. The scene is actually pretty funny because of it.

If the pacing was a bit faster then I think it would totally be worth a playthough to see all the crazy poo poo. Like the twist is really loving dumb but it's funny and makes you want to keep playing to see how much of a train wreck it becomes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I like the star ocean games but I also loving hate them because they all promise an intergalactic space adventure that never gets off the ground. You end up crashing on some under-developed planet and then it's a typical jrpg.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of which:

quote:

It's called the Charles D. Goale.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SO5 posted:

Here we see Miki telling Fidel that she wants to try all the sweets in the world, and that the road of sweets never comes to an end

Starting to like this game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

I tried playing Star Ocean 3 a month ago and near the start while the main character and his childhood friend are talking about what to do at the resort and this ridiculous love song starts playing with vocals being a little too high. The scene is actually pretty funny because of it.

If the pacing was a bit faster then I think it would totally be worth a playthough to see all the crazy poo poo. Like the twist is really loving dumb but it's funny and makes you want to keep playing to see how much of a train wreck it becomes.

Oh dear, if this is your first playthrough you have no idea how much of a disappointment you're in for. :allears:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

This game wants to be the Japanese Mass Effect so bad.