Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Thuryl posted:

Have you tried Anachronox? The gameplay is a bit clunky, but if you could tolerate Septerra Core...

This is one of my favorite RPGs. There's actually a mod out there that allows you to speed up battle so it's plenty bearable. I wouldn't recommend trying to play it without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

al-azad posted:

Ehhhhhh, Musashi Legends or whatever it's called is really easy and boring. I beat it in three days a few years ago and I completely forgot everything about the experience. All I remember is running around empty worlds, tons of backtracking, simple bosses, stupid puzzles, and a really boring story that had none of the charm of the original.

Pretty graphics, though.

Yup. Was disappointing because I was pretty excited when I heard they were making it because I loved the first one. But yeah, it sucked.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's way action-y, of course, but tough fights require planning in the form of what potions to chug down before you go at it. Potions are a HUGE part of the game. They offer absolutely massive stat bonuses, or other abilities like being able to see enemies through walls and stuff, but they fill your toxicity gauge, too high and you start seeing red flecks and stuff (which is also pretty awesome). I haven't seen what happens when you max it out though.

Depends on the difficulty. Potions are only necessary if you play on the hardest (which you should, in my opinion). Otherwise combat is rather trivial as long as you don't let yourself get surrounded.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

They won't always miss, but you'll be building from zero damage and relying entirely on the small damage bonus you get ever step in the chain. Chainspam also rapidly raises risk, which will further lower your hit rate. The manual tries to spin risk as a double edged sword, but it has basically no practical value. Your hit rate plummets and you take more damage.

Risk is a great way to increase damage especially against the special bosses. If you're good enough at chaining you can also beat bosses in one attack which is how I killed the Asura New Game+ bonus boss. You could also do the reflect defensive chain for bigger damage than you might be able to do otherwise. I also remember one occasion where I didn't have a good weapon for one of the dragons so I could only do 1dmg even on his weak point... but it goes up by 1 every time you chain so I just infinity chained him to death.

I played this game as a kid though so it's likely I didn't do everything optimally.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I actually found Drakensang pretty fun but I also liked both NWN/NWN2. But like most of my games, I haven't finished it so I don't know if it drags on after a while or anything.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Coolio posted:

The identity of the killer is 100% obvious anyway if you aren't a big loving idiot. Gee who could it be, it's definitely not this guy who keeps showing up randomly to "accidentally" feed the kids info and has no point otherwise in the story.

As you say, the reason I knew who it was very early was entirely because he didn't seem to serve any purpose as a character but had a portrait and voice-over. Too bad, because I really like how they handled you having to pick him out.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

PlasticPaddy posted:

I got wasted the other night and ordered a few PS2 RPGs:

Dragon Quest VIII
Radiata Stories
Final Fantasy XII
Suikoden 3
Wild Arms 3
Dark Cloud
Rogue Galaxy

How'd I do?

Not bad in my opinion. I think Dark Cloud is the best game in there though. I imagine you got them reasonably cheap so I think all of those games are certainly worth $10-20. Even if you end up only liking several of them those are all pretty long games so you'll be occupied for a while at least. Only one I've not played is WA3.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

RotationSurgeon posted:

Can someone explain to me why everyone hates Dragon Age 2 so much? I played through that whole game in like 3 sittings and had a blast. I even did like 95% of the sidequests and crap.

To begin: 3 environments, waves of enemies mechanic is the stupidest thing ever and completely negates any type of strategic positioning or any strategy at all really because you have no idea how many waves you are going to fight, character development is done in time skips offscreen etc etc. I don't mind them bringing the camera closer and most of the other skill/general battle system changes but everything else is loving terrible.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Barudak posted:

By far the best mission in the game is right around the half-way point when you're setting up an ambush for a gigantic gently caress off tank. To start off with, this thing enters the field and will without hesitation absolutely tear any exposed person to shreds. Mix in that the only way to hurt it is to destroy its smaller guns and run a guy up its sides (it will 1hit KO anyone it runs over) to destroy an annoyingly tough core three times and you have a dragged out fight.

That, of course, doesn't take into account that the Tank will reach the game-over target unless you are constantly moving people out of safety to dump rubble in its way. All the while it advances on foot support spawns in and runs to harass you. Did I mention the game doesn't bring up the "knock rubble into its way" until the tank is far enough up that moving people will be suicide? Its okay though, because once you get that down pat the level gets bad.

You see at a certain point an enemy leader arrives on the map and brings a huge wave of infinitely spawning reinforcements. The enemy leader is invincible and she can one shot most characters from sniper distance. The second she appears if you are not mopping up the last bit of the tank, you are going to lose people. Hell, even if you're mopping up the tank you're probably going to lose people. Did I mention none of this is foreshadowed so you are probably 100% going to fail or at best, lose tons of your guys on the first try?

When I did this mission there was no infinite spawning infantry or anything. Just a handful in both phases that I quickly killed. And I did it like 2-3 weeks ago. The leader is annoying but she can't damage your tank so I just set it up so my infantry could use it as cover. She actually just chills with the large tank and only attacks anyone too close so what you do is when the cores come up you use your scouts to multi-move and hit the core and get away all in the same turn. She'll ignore all your infantry this way... as long as you get them out of the way when she is first getting to the tank.

Seemed pretty simple to me. 'annoying tough cores'... yeah, lob a grenade into them. Instant kill. Don't shoot them.

There's a wall/ramp type thing that is pretty ideal cover for your lancers to take out the little guns as well as an ideal path to get a lancer up top where he can destroy all the rubble points.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 9, 2011

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

PlasticPaddy posted:

So what's the consensus on Blue Dragon? I've been playing nothing but old PSX/PS2 RPGs and I need something current gen and cheap.

You should play it just so you can fight a boss to this.

(Disclaimer: That song is the only thing I know about the game.)

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I started playing Xenoblade yesterday. It is pretty awesome. Major peeve is that they have a day/night cycle that affects active NPCs/quests. Ughhhhh, I hate this in games. Sends a huge 'use a guide if you want to see everything' message.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

thark posted:

I find it mildly amusing how "this game has more optional stuff in it than you're likely to actually discover" has somehow become a BAD thing.

(In general, not commenting on the specific game which I have no knowledge of.)

Never said it was bad. But if it's so arbitrary you're not likely to discover it who is it there for? But no, FFXII had great hidden content. <- Sarcasm... and, actually, I guess I am saying it's bad in the case of that game.

(In general. Xenoblade is pretty low on the scale for this type of stuff, as far as I know. And I wasn't yet aware of the ability to change the time of day when I wrote the other post.)

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

That is loving inexcusable and I wish I hadn't paid even the small amount of money I did now. Plus I think I looked at every menu option once I figured out how to switch tabs (defaulting to 360 control labels: also loving inexcusable) and didn't see anything.

Clearly you should uninstall and take a magnet to the HDD. It is the only way to right this loving inexcusable atrocity.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I couldn't play vanilla Oblivion for more than 5 hours before quitting but Skyrim is pretty great.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Improved Mantle? Fireshield? Blade Barrier? Invisibility? Mislead? Time Stop?

BG2 is the game of wizard combat, there's no two ways about it.

Yeah. People seem kind of surprised by this assessment but being "wizard combat" has pretty much been a staple of every edition of D&D before 4e. Nostalgia is really, really strong with this game though.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Dunbar posted:

I have always been horrible at SRPGs, but I'd like to learn how to play them. I bought Tactics Ogre and FFT for my PSP and I'm going to start one of them. Is either one a better start for an SRPG neophyte? Are there any sort of general tips I can look up or is there a general guide for getting better at SRPGs anywhere?

Probably FFT. People will say it's really complex and it is if you actually care about bravery/faith/signs but you can still break the game over your knee by ignoring all that stuff. I always did, anyway.

Tactics Ogre is more complex both in storyline (diverging paths, if I remember right) and mechanics.

Vandal Hearts is another game you could try which is simpler than both but still a lot of fun.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Douche Bag posted:

Is the battle system in Vagrant Story as mystifying as everyone says? I love PS1 RPGSs but I'm not very patient or intelligent.

Kind of like FFT around here, it has complexity to it sure but most posters neglect to mention that you can ignore almost all of it. As a dumb kid I got through Vagrant Story by just having a few different weapons of different weapon types. Then I played through it with different weapons for each monster affinity and this was enough to get through all the bonus stuff too (there are some rather resilient bonus bosses). I never really paid much attention to elements except against incredibly obviously elementally attuned enemies.

Even if you ended up against a boss where you're doing like 1 damage you can completely overcome this by being good at chains.

Great game though. drat shame they never did anything like it again.

quote:

This page reminded me, everyone play Der Langrisser right now. It's amazing.

Looks like I may have to!

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 28, 2012

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I have fond memories of that game. It's... different. Not amazing and a little grindy though.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Yeah, looks really cool to me too except for the weird slowdown that seems to be somewhat prevalent. Also I think the small pause whenever he hits something is intentional but I don't like it much.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Heh, knowlege of a subject could lead to better writing on a subject? What planet are we on, DUMB ILLOGIC WORLD?!

You are a simpleton.

Jesus christ, step away from your keyboard and breathe.

Ed:

Amethyst posted:

Insults on a web forum? Well I never.
:rolleyes: Yes, a perfect excuse to act like a petulant child.

Amethyst posted:

The fact that you are a poster on a video game forum and need this poo poo explained to you demonstrates why people look down on gamers.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 18, 2012

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Last Remnant (PC Version)

Who thought it was a good idea to have one of Violet's item requests be a Pink quality item? It's a rare split from an enemy you have to capture - and capturing is pretty rare as well! Will she eventually get over it and start asking for something else, or is she going to be stuck asking for that until I grind out who knows how many?

You're talking about purple Divain rawhide aren't you? Have you actually tried to get it yet or just looking at the drop rates on the wiki? I'm around the same point you are playing it again and this material is actually insanely easy to get. Go to the Great Sand Sea, tons of em. Capturing is like a 15% drop there. And with the way drops work it's significantly more common than you would think for 15%. Check the wiki if you want more info on how drops work and poo poo but basically the more monsters you kill in a battle the better and there are tons of them here. As far as 3% split, I don't know, seems like it's wrong to me. I don't really split Divains anymore but it seems like it's always in there. Maybe I'm just really lucky.

Another thing I've noticed with that is with Rares that have a 5% split for a really rare component. I almost always get them, I can't imagine it is really 5%.

Ed; If you get frustrated with that you can go hunt this down instead: http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Skoll (respawnable) or http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Fatal_Fang (not respawnable, but you are guaranteed a capture). Both have the rawhide at 20% for the split. And the list for splits is actually determined over 10 rolls.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 2, 2013

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

No, I tried it, I spent like 10-15 minutes fighting those Divains in the Great Sand Sea, even trying to get huge chains of like 6 groups. Getting a capture at all was uncommon and of all the captures, I split only a single purple Divain rawhide dropped (and I still don't know how many she needed). So I decided to postpone the hunt and go look for some of the other, more common things my party members were whining about.

I'll go try again later now that I've got the hang of the technique to get huge chains. (Is there a difference between the Divans in the Great Sand Sea and the ones in Dillmoor? I just spent another bunch of time trying to get big chains in Dillmoor, there were only a half-dozen captures, none would split into the rawhide.)

You'll probably be happy to know that she only needs one of those, then. And yes the same monster's drops/percentages can change depending on where they are. However, the split table will always be the same. In this case, Dillmoor apparently has two types of Divain spawns. One has the same 15% capture chance and the other is only 3%. There's no specific information on how to tell between them though so I'd stick to the sea if you continue with that.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Thanks, that's all really helpful information, especially the "more monsters = better drops, regardless of monster type" and "kill what you want to drop last".

Oh, I think I now know what the "more powerful version of existing formation" thing is, it must give higher ATK/DEF/MAG/MDEF numbers, and the upgrades are applied automatically, thanks.

The thing that bothers me about the limited formulas is that you apparently can't make more of another item. This could be a problem if I'd made the mistake of listening to one of Pagus's insistent requests to borrow my "Charm of Gliding" because I wasn't wearing it. I've seen that bandit once in that castle and he dropped 14K gold, so I've been looking for him for a while. It's still not as irritating as being told a party member needs an item that only appears from disassembling items I have no idea where to even find (Imperium). I've had to print off a list of what disassembles into it because even alt-tabbing back and forth is too annoying.

(For fun, I tried to see what would happen if I tried to link a ton of landworms in the "Wisdom's Echo" quest in Aveclyff. I learned that if you ended up fighting more than 26 unions in one battle, it wraps back around to "A", instead of going "AA", "AB"... I probably should have reloaded to before taking the quest, selling all the components they drop beforehand, do the quest and filling back up to 100 again.)

Imperium isn't really that bad because everyone that needs one will clone the item when you disassemble something to get it and the quantity you need is generally just 1-2. So just make sure that everyone is at that step before you start doing it. If nothing else, eventually you can just buy certain equipment in Athlum that you can disassemble for 2 at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Troffen posted:

The game's been out in EU for a while now and it is indeed not that great. Not completely terrible or anything, but the kind of mediocre hack n' slash that's hard to give a much of a drat about either way.

I thought it was pretty great, at least. The chain is actually pretty cool from a gameplay perspective and I liked the story. The tower puzzles generally aren't very difficult but at least interesting and I also enjoyed the boss fights. The bosses from the second set of towers are way better though. It's definitely true that there isn't a ton of depth to the killing monsters part unless you just gently caress around with the chain a lot... which is probably the best part. I definitely wouldn't describe it as a hack n slash either but I dunno.

I've decided that the proper answer to my much earlier question about "should I split or sell unique monsters" is "always sell". You can get the components from the normal versions, but uniques sell for a ton more money than normal monsters.

Eh, maybe. Really you should look up these monsters because almost all of the non-respawnable uniques have a 5% split into a very rare component. So I'd suggest you check and see if it's in the table or not + what it is used for then decide. Most likely you'll be fine just selling them but on the off chance you end up needing one of these you're going to be kicking yourself. And I just can't imagine you ever running out of money.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 8, 2013