Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

SpaceDrake posted:

They still need to MAKE a proper PSP version of EP, though. I highly suspect that'll be Atlus' swan song for the PSP and their last title for the system.

I dunno, they tend to hang onto systems a little longer than their main lives. Persona 4 for the PS2 and now Devil Survivor 2 for the DS (rather than 3DS). I could see an EP game coming out for the PSP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That's what he said: "I suspect Eternal Punishment will be their final PSP game."

Hurf I'm retarded and can't read words. I read this'll instead of that'll.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

TheIllestVillain posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Tactics Ogre seeing as it has so many glowing reviews, is it worth my hard earned $19.99?

The only SRPG-ish type of game i've played is Devil Survivor so i'm not very familiar with tactic based RPGs.

Its my favorite SRPG of all time and I really think the retranslation does wonders for it. The difficulty is also lessened from the original game, so if you're new to SRPGs its not overwhelmingly difficult.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I don't know anywhere else to ask this but I am about to play Last Remnant for the first time (have had it sitting on steam since it released on there) and I know the game has a bunch of Bullshit Unintuitive Mechanics where you can permanently gimp yourself by killing too many enemies or leveling too fast, or using too many guys or some silly things before a certain point in the game. I know some things changed between the XBOX -> PC port, but if anyone can give me a basic spoiler free rundown of what to do to not gently caress myself over horribly I would be most appreciative.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

If you're not out to min-max your units from day 1 then you don't need to know anything up front and can play comfortably however you want. You can sleep peacefully knowing that they dialed back the enemy scaling in relation to your BR, and that linking enemies doesn't gently caress you as hard in the PC version. Linking can still gently caress you IN EGREGIOUSLY MASSIVE QUANTITIES though so don't grind like a madman unless you need to (enemies scale at certain BR levels so grinding can end up blowing up in your face unless you min-max the way you grind).

You don't need to grind for most of the game's content on a first playthrough. Most people actually don't even hit the magic BR numbers for upscaling effect on the PC version).

I am mostly worried that if I get to too high a level I won't be able to effectively use Cool Dudes I get later on in the game. If I just play normally and do the sidequests as they appear, I won't mess up future additions to my force, will I?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Xenix posted:

I'd be more worried about character planning than being too high of a level. I found it really obnoxious that I wanted my characters to go one direction, but through poor planning watched them go another without a means to correct it easily.

Could you give me some suggestions about how to be proactive about it? I tried looking at wikis and stuff but it throws so much information at you and terminology I have no idea what it means.

I did start it up and am enjoying it so far despite the game trying to turn you off to it almost immediately.

So far Pros are:

Emma :allears:
Music owns
Battles look awesome as all get out

Cons:
Johnny Yong Bosch
Rush is retarded (On the upside his model looks as dumb as he acts and sounds)
Help what do I do I understand nothing
That intro Jesus Christ
Seriously how does Johnny Yong Bosch keep getting work with only one available voice

As long as the battles look as cool as they do on the first few fights and the music continues to be great I am fine with just hitting buttons and hoping for the best

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Thank you very much for that post, the battle stuff was slowly clicking but the skill stuff wasn't; It took me a bit to realize that nope, you can't check any skill ranks or anything because The Last Remnant kind of hates you

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Playing through Last Remnant it really feels as though if they didn't make the decision to hide so many details from the player and punish you (on the XBOX) when playing it like a normal RPG this could have been a huge hit. From what I've seen it seems like it was pretty heavily panned, at least by players.

Not being able to equip your dudes or choose what classes they evolve into feels neat, as though I am just directing the troops and they make their own decisions. While I would like more info about them upgrading their weapons and stuff (Pagus I have like 40 Chimera Husks please take one) and how many of each item they request they actually need, the overall feel of the game is really engrossing.

Hard battles feel *hard* and when you beat them it is a moment of relief and actually feeling like you accomplished something in a game.

The story is loving atrocious though and while I love me some bad voice acting (Dynasty Warriors comes to mind) it really feels like the English cast outside of a few characters had absolutely no direction at all.

I do feel like I may be too high a BR though, because wherever I look people are at a place called Eagle's Nest (not there yet, at Heroic Ramparts or something) and they have BRs of like 15 where as I am already at 21. (I am doing all subquests though)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Don't get me wrong, I am loving The Last Remnant so far and have no issues with the mechanics, I just feel that nothing is really *gained* from hiding those numbers in some cases.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

e: While we're on bad games, right now I'm kind of feeling like FF13-2's way up there. Serah's simpering, the super Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe of the plot, the completely nonsensical decisions the characters frequently make or their total lack of short term memory, Square's inability to track a non-linear plot, and the fact I've spent twelve loving hours total on this goddamn slot machine are really putting it up there. I might start liking it again once I sort out that last part, though.

So far I love Last Remnant but goddamn is the plot up to now atrocious and it just feels like everything is shown through the eyes of an ADD Child (Rush). It goes from "I gotta find my sister!" to "I gotta find my parents!" to "Who is that guy in a Red Sarong let's stop looking for my parents and find him!" The only saying grace is that Torgal is basically :stare: "Yeah okay." everytime.

It just feels really ping-pongy and honestly if I wasn't doing the sidequests I'd feel it would be more ridiculous seeming in how fast it goes from one to another.

Also another thing that bothers me is that people start using villains' names before we are told them, what with Rush being all like "We gotta go get Wagram!" and I don't figure out who the hell that is til like 3 scenes later since his name is not mentioned prior to that

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Murodese posted:

After Eagle's Nest is also one of my favourite scenes in a videogame :allears:

Wow you were completely on the mark with this. I usually don't like cutscene fights in games but the music really made it work.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It's significantly easier.

I wouldn't say that at all. There are less bullshit "protect NPC" missions, but bosses do a lot more damage and some of them can be very difficult if you go in with a not-optimized setup. The last boss in DS2 is harder that any of the ending paths in DS1, in my opinion.

Fights end up being very front loaded by the end of the 5th day, where either you will 1 round KO the opposing group or it will do the same to you, depending on luck/initiative.

That being said I only had to reset maybe 3 times in all, but the last boss made me spend a decent amount of time forming a perfect "gently caress you" team and if I didn't do that I probably would have had a ton more resets.

Also a tip for the final days: Reflect Phys is pretty much a must have on all your demons you can get it on. A ton of enemies use multi-hit attacks and a lot of them have Pierce. Fortunately Rangda comes with it innate and is usable in a ton of fusions so you can sprad it around. If you get a Phys Set Add-on, I would recommend saving it as well in case you want to stick a good Physical Skill on a Str Demon as well as Reflect Phys on a demon that it is annoying to get it on.

MotU fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 4, 2012

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

By the time I got to the last boss, I had a character who was invincible to everything but one element and he was strong to that, so I admit I didn't really have much trouble with it. In general, I felt like it was much easier to build your character's defenses to the point where enemies doing more damage didn't matter because they couldn't damage me. I had a Titania, Purple Mirror, Oberon and various other demons who all resisted or reflected everything aside from Almighty. I just carried along defensive spells and used my Add-Ons occasionally and the end result was an unkillable demon army.

Yeah I had all the same as well when I beat him, but I lacked an Avian/Wilder/Genma so the path up to him was a death zone pretty much due to the map attack. The first time I had a Genma but no Reflect Physical on the team, so it was pretty much instant death in another way.

The fact that you pretty much need partial or full invincibility I think shows that DS2 is harder than DS1 where strategy in DS1 involved "man, Holy Dance is a great skill to have"

DS2's balance I feel is a lot more in line with what I want to see in a strategy game, but I wouldn't recommend it to people who had issues or troubles with DS1. There's less bullshit, but more difficulty and I feel DS1's bullshit took a lot less effort to overcome than DS2's difficulty, but both are surmountable with a bit of planning and forethought.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Brainbread posted:

Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a Harvest Moon-esque RPG where I don't have to spend all of my time worrying about what everyone else thinks of me?

I found that mechanic to be obnoxious.

Alternatively, a non-Final fantasy RPG with a satisfying job system, or strong customization of what your party members can be specialized into.

Rune Factory 3 is literally Harvest Moon with combat and done pretty well. You don't have to spend *all* of your time worry about what people think of you, and a lot of it is woven into the main gameplay via quests and stuff. You do have to give gifts and things like Harvest Moon games, but I never felt the pressure like I did in the GBA/DS Harvest Moon games of having to keep up an entire town's happiness. I also don't think people's opinion of you drops in RF3 if you ignore them for a bit, but I could be misremembering

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

iastudent posted:

Pier Solar is still a thing? :stare:

Though, I'll be honest, now that I have suitable income and a Genesis on hand I'm kinda tempted to order a copy. It'll easily be the most money I've ever spent on a 16-bit game.

Did you not buy 16-bit games when they first came out? I remember spending 70$ for Sword of Vermillion and 85$ for Earthbound. And those were precious 1990s dollars.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Hoshigami is probably the worst game I ever fell in love with, but it is just because the magic creating and combo-chain system finally clicked with me at some point and I just started wrecking everything.

Also the fact that I probably grinded for 15 hours at some point but those memories are vague and may or may not be imagined.

Kartia was legitmately good though, it was pretty engaging throughout despite the apparently shallow gameplay. I think it got slightly deeper later on, I can't fully remember, but I know my interest or enjoyment never waned with it

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Doesn't the PSP version let you go back and visit other paths? I'm not sure but that's what I heard.

Yeah anything that is optional and tedious I'll always skip. I guess I'll actually use archers! They were my least favorite FFT class

Yeah you don't need 2 saves anymore. Crafting is tedious but it can be save scummed (Recipes sometimes have a not-insignificant change to fail). I just made the component materials while mashing confirm on the PSP and reading the forums. It isn't necessary to do but it does change some iffy fights into ones that are more managable.

Read the Warren Report often for new news, as if you do not you may miss some sidequests or characters.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You don't actually need a guide for the sidequests unless you are deliberately going for the 100% sidequest thing, which you almost certainly don't want to do on your first playthrough.

Otherwise, you can just talk to the bartenders in towns and they will lead you to almost any sidequests you haven't done yet. It's very helpful.

Just quoting this and explaining a little bit why you don't want to do 100% Sidequests. Semi-nonspecific-spoilers for game mechanics on the last boss: The more sidequests you do, the stronger he becomes, up to bullshit levels.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
For Fortune Summoners, if you have a controller try playing Arche. If you don't, I can see how she'd be kind of a pain to get to do what you want. Once you understand that the enemy AI input reads like a bitch and you have to bait them out sometimes and how to counteract flying enemies (hint: its a combination of downward jumping slash and reckless abandon) it becomes ridiculously fun.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
The thread specifically for the game seems pretty dead, so if anyone has played Elminage: Original for the PSP, can they give me some tips what I should be doing in regards to crafting and equipment early on? I don't really feel like I am upgrading my party all that much and it is starting to get rough (cleared Mirror Marsh and 2nd Floor of Kraida Cave, as well as most of the Forest)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

MockingQuantum posted:

Is Suikoden Tierkreis a) any good and b) anything like any of the main Suikoden games?

No and No

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Suikoden sucks a pretty crazy amount of rear end compared to Suikoden 2. Not even worth playing really. Skip to 2, play three, ignore the rest of the series.

BoF 1-3 are arguably good games depending on your taste (I loved all three), but 4 is a boring, stupid mess.

Tactics is okay if you can get over the awful goddamn translation.

Suikoden 5 is a great game and I feel better than 3, but 4 can be skipped with no regrets (though Suikoden Tactics is pretty fun). The first Suikoden is an alright game but really kind of aged at this point, thought not to unplayable-ness or anything. Play the first one then play Suikoden 2 about 3 years later, so you can get the full impact of 2. :v:

BoF4 is a great game if you can get past the parts that plod along and the eh dragon form design. The story is really good but it is marred by poo poo pacing

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Paperhouse posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for the PSP? Just happened upon it looking around for PSP games, I've vaguely heard of Growlanser before and I think it looks really interesting. I'm not bothered about it being dated or whatever, I like the look of it, but some reviews really complain about elements of the combat, specifically that you get unfairly demolished in tons of fights due to AI bullshit. I can't tell if these people are maybe just bad at the game though

It has some difficult fights that are hard to get *perfect* without pre-planning or foreknowledge of the fight, but it is a very solid game and probably my favorite PSP game besides the Tactics Ogre remake

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

BloodWulfe posted:

This is probably the best way to play Tactics Ogre. I nearly lost my mind crafting stuff in my first playthrough. One. Single. Item. At a time.

Skipping repair backpacks in Front Mission is another good way to artificially inflate the difficulty of a game.

I remember loaning my Vita to a friend so he could try Tactics Ogre and when I explained crafting to him I said "Nah man it ain't that tedious, just put on a show or a movie and hit confirm over and over to make ores". Took me a second to realize how ridiculous that is.

I still craft everything :v:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
If you like SRPGs play Hoshigami. As the sole fan of that game, I can say it is very good.

The Tactics Ogre: LUCT remake is the best SRPG forever, though

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

I will loving fight you

I legit don't know why people hate it, I only see it come up in conversations as being bad. I beat it on PSX and DS I had no issues with it

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

I liked Hoshigami so much that I LP'd it. Kinda. It's a bad game. I love it. I love that bad game.

All I know is what when I mentioned it with a group of friends when we were talking about obscure games we liked, they all acted like I poo poo in the middle of the floor when I said that I liked it

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Roobanguy posted:

brb clicking the craft button 1000+ times to make a single weapon

Don't forget to save/reload when you go to make the expensive components.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I have no issues with the crafting system in TO:LuCT and now I suspect that I have brain problems.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

It's just sooooooo much button pressing and time wasting.

I honestly would just mash the button while doing something else if I had to do poo poo like craft 100 silver bars or some poo poo for Baldur gear

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Serious Frolicking posted:

What's more, the crafting success rate isn't fixed. Instead, it is based on something incredibly esoteric like average total stats or some poo poo so you might be able to raise it by a percentage or two if you do absolutely everything in the game.

Just by progressing though the game normally a lot of my bars/ores went up from 90ish % to 100% so it at least has a more significant impact on the basic materials

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

is it any good?

Very anime so yes, definitely.

Also there is a semi-dating sim element to it and I am pretty sure one of the topics you can discuss is farts

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

Are any women impressed by this? Can i be a scoundrel with a fart of gold?

too bad

I think the blonde water element(?) girl gets upset at it but you gain points, it has been like 14 or 15 years and, tragically, my mind can only hold so much anime in it

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

forget your own name to make more room for anime

I need to refer to myself in the third person to be as anime as possible so this is not efficient!!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Azure Dreams?

Yes and it was probably one of my favorite PSX games, it was basically a mystery-dungeon type game but you could build up your town and buy furniture for your house

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I've heard nothing but praise for LISA, for both the gameplay and the plot so I am not sure where you are getting those negative reviews from. The thread in Games gives a decent overview of it, just avoid spoilers

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
The control mapping is the same as any other RPG Maker game and maybe I am just a human Enigma machine but there aren't that hard to discern

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

oblomov posted:

Not porting Persona and Yakuza is leaving money on the table for Sega. Especially Persona could be a huge seller and Yakuza could do pretty well too. Question is if Sega is going to even try any of this and who knows at this point with VC coming out of nowhere and doing very well for them.

I would murder a person for Yakuza for PC but only if they get Mark Hamill for Majima for the sequels. The rest doesn't have to be dubbed, just get Mark Hamill back please

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

hubris.height posted:

my advice is to ignore this huge retard because sharla owns

Sharla actively makes fights more difficult + less fun and she is also garbage + bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bring on that Idol JRPG for the ps4.

can you date the idols