Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ExiledTinkerer posted:

http://www.decklinsdemise.com/news.php Incredibly long in the making, but almost done as far as "expansions that essentially redo the source and then some with much content". Probably one of the things I'm most looking forward to in this regard assuming it can make the October release date.
The original release of Demise was fun, but a hilariously buggy pile of VB. One of the few Wizardry ripoffs with online MP too.

If they iron out the bugs and make the MP slightly less retarded, it could be the best RPG ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The devs behind Odin Sphere made a much more action-y 2D RPG for Wii called Muramasa: The Demon Blade which might be more to your liking. I think a XBLA/PSN port just got announced?
There's also Princess Crown on the Saturn by the same dudes, but Muramasa is definitely the best game they've done. Odin Sphere is pretty overrated imo, beautiful graphics but the combat is so unappealing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Miketopus posted:

Anyway, it depends. Certain games, like Tales of Phantasia, are traditional SNES RPGs with something about them that's just compelling. I don't even like the other Tales games that much, but Phantasia was fantastic.
Its probably because Namco pissed off most of the people responsible for Phantasia, so they left and formed tri-Ace. Spiritually, Star Ocean is way closer to Phantasia than any of the other Tales games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

^ :hf:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been out of PC RPGs for about seven years now, and am just getting back in. I'm busy witching right now, but what should I do after that? Gothic 3? Something else?

edit: among PC exclusives, I mean.
Recettear is pretty good if you like the Atelier games, Kings Bounty is a pretty awesome series of SRPGs, and then there's Torchlight and all the other Diabloesques. But the last really big PC RPG I remember enjoying was Morrowind, everything since has kinda sucked (Oblivion, Fallout, Gothic).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're happy with singleplayer, Torchlight is the absolute best mechanically, Titan Quest is a close runner up and has co-op, but with less interesting loot and no randomly generated dungeons.

Of course, all that is until Diablo 3 reclaims the throne in a couple of months.

casual poster posted:

Is DOA like oblivion? I really hate wrpg's but people have been pressuring me to play it.
its baulders gate 2010

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 4, 2010

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

^ Unless you mean like totally formulaic turn based JRPGs, King's Bounty.

Speaking of RPGs that should not be RPGs...

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 4, 2010

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Man I am shocked at all the love Legend of Mana is getting, I remember when it came out it was completely torn apart because it didn't have a big angsty JRPG story or huge world map. Personally I think its the best game in the series, I love the ridiculous degree of customization and the short, mostly unrelated quests. A loving blast in coop, too.

InnercityGriot posted:

When I made my not deep comment, I was referring more to the combat, but you're right that the story system can be really deep and hard to figure out.

I still maintain that despite having a complex system of skills and learnable abilities, that does not a deep game make if the core combat is so lacking in balance you have to beat the game once for it to become even remotely a challenge.

It's still a cool, underrated game though. The theme song from whenever the juggling monkey and his one-man-band friend show up is still really cool.
They definitely made it way too easy, but I don't think an easy game can't also be really deep mechanically. Sure, those mechanics are pretty much completely unnecessary to beat the game, but they're fun to gently caress around with.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ryokashi posted:

Elona
Elona has some pretty interesting mechanics, but surprise surprise, the Japanese take on roguelikes is really grindy and pretty impenetrable. I prefer the spinoff, Elona Shooter. which is a kind of RPG/tower defense hybrid that draws heavily from Elona.

e: well I guess that's not fair, Shiren and Izuna are pretty reasonable roguelikes. Elona is very JRPG though.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 5, 2010

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

I know I'll get poo poo for it. But I like Atelier Rorona. I think it shouldn't have been a 60$ (Canadian) game, but it's nice looking, has vibrant colours, and I loving LOVE trying to find as much random poo poo as I can so I can make other random poo poo. I'll sit around and find as many jobs as I can and then see which ones will all be doable just by going to certain places.

The combat isn't complex, it's incredibly straightforward and it's very anime inspired, but at the same time it's not like a lot of other RPG's and I like that. I hope NISA brings over Totori.
No one is going to give you poo poo for liking Atelier, they're solid JRPGs. Now if you said you liked the art style and characters, well...

Samurai Sanders posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Is there such a thing as a rpg with menu driven combat but without random encounters or grind? I can't really think of any.
Off the top of my head, Riviera on the GBA and PSP, its almost like an adventure game with JRPG elements. It is a Dept. Heaven game though, so it has the downside of being weird as poo poo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

iastudent posted:

While it isn't in itself a RPG, I've heard people say Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has a lot of RPG aspects to it. Anyone able to elaborate?
The only real RPG aspects I can think of is the way your weapons level up as you use them, but its pretty inconsequential. Structurally, Peace Walker plays out a lot like Monster Hunter, but mechanically its just like every other MGS.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its not just anime cutscenes, its also missing the in-engine polygonal stuff. All plot development was replaced with talking heads. Pretty big mark against it imo, because that stuff is half the reason I like Persona. Its a much better game mechanically though, adopting a bunch of Persona 4's pleasant improvements like direct party control.

I haven't played Trails in the Sky yet, but Tactics Ogre and Persona are both some of the best SRPGs and JRPGs respectively, and the PSP versions are the definitive way to play those games. You can't go wrong either way, get whichever has the kind of gameplay that appeals to you more.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

softcorps posted:

Yeah, not all PSP games are available for Vita, but there are still quite a few of them:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/09/how-to-download-psp-titles-to-ps-vita/

There are a lot of good titles available that make me reconsider my unwillingness to buy it at launch, since I don't have a PSP anymore and missed outon a lot of titles. There are actually a dangerous number of attractive titles...
I understand the appeal of buying new technology, but if the old games are all you're interested in, why not get a PSP? They go for less than $100 these days, and you can buy UMDs for a hell of a lot cheaper than the PSN sells games for. There's enough stuff out there to last you until the inevitable Vita price drop.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It doesn't even get that anime-philosophical until like the 3rd act, I remember being really impressed with how mundane the first 2 parts were. When the game is all about a tariff dispute with the baron of Animeland or whatever.

Battle system in Eternal Sonata owns though, one of tri-*'s finest.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

I don't know why but I've been itching for some Disgaea . . . I'm trying to decide if I should pick up the PSP port of 2 over PSN, or if I should wait for the Vita port of 3 which is coming in April. Normally I'd just wait for the shiny newer game but it seems like people have been lukewarm about 3, especially in comparison to 2. What do you guys think?
Get 2. Disgaea 3 makes some interesting mechanical changes, but it feels like sort of a lateral move rather than a straight-up upgrade, and the writing is god awful. Sure, Disgaea 2's story goes for a dramatic angle and ends up falling kind of flat compared to the first game, but the improvements make Disgaea 1 feel positively primitive. Particularly in the way exp is distributed and the amount of post-game content.

Pretty sure popular opinion goes 4 > 2 > 1 > 3 these days. Haven't played 4 yet though, I only just got a PS3.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I like games that treat random encounters like a war of attrition, requiring you to conserve resources because you know there's gonna be a major boss smackdown at the end. I can't think of any games like this, but I know they exist, and I remember dungeons being tense and enjoyable because of it.
That's pretty much the entire design philosophy of Wizardry and all its ripoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Has anyone played SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked? I really want to play the first Devil Survivor, and I have a 3DS, so I feel like I should take advantage of the extra content, but I'm pretty sure there were 12 copies of the game ever made. New ones are going on Amazon for $58 minimum, and the nearest copy I can find in any chains is 60 miles away.

Should I even worry about it that much, or just try to find a regular DS copy of the game?
The new content and the voice acting are great, but its not nearly substantial enough to be worth paying twice as much for. Don't worry about it.