Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I was thinking about KOTOR 2 and wondering how the restoration project was going, and to my surprise it was completed nearly 2 years ago.

Has anyone played it? How much do the restored bits really add to the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

A friend of mine is joining the army so he's selling all of his old ps2 games off, and among them are the Xenosaga games. I always hear pretty...odd things about them to say the least, but he'll sell em all to me for about 10 dollars. They worth it?

Sure why not. They can be fun as long as you realize that they're made by people who probably saw Neon Genesis Evangelion and thought, "This is great, but it's not nearly convoluted enough, and it doesn't have enough random Christian imagery." I found their ridiculousness enjoyable but I can see how most people would be put off by them.

Just don't play 2. Even if end up liking the first one, for the love of god don't play Xenosaga 2. It has some of the worst gameplay I've ever experienced in a JRPG and the story has little to no bearing on the main plot of the series. It's basically a 20 hour side quest. If you end up liking 1, go straight to 3, which in my opinion isn't just the best of the 3 but a pretty decent if not good game in its own right.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The best part of BG's party system was being able to solo and get 6x the experience so you level up crazy fast.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Do you get any lightsabers before you build your original one in KOTOR 2? I'm playing a DS sentinel/future assassin on difficult, so my only options at the moment for weapons are using melee weapons that I can't hit with or use ranged weapons which suck.

Maybe I'll just set it to normal difficulty for now so I can hit with melee weapons. Difficult doesn't seem that difficult anyway, just more annoying.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Another KOTOR 2 question: do you have to stay full light/dark side to keep the mastery once you get it or can you suck up a few points of the opposite side without losing it?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Are most of those games really long? I haven't played any of them, but I did buy the P3P for PSP, and a couple for the DS. (I'm really bad at playing my handheld games) But I know there's a good number for PS1/2. My only experience has been watching the Giant Bomb Endurance Run.

P3/4 are ~80 hour games. I can't think of any other SMT games that are that long except Strange Journey. I'm playing through Persona 2 at the moment, and I'm little over halfway through at 15 hours in.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Pretty much this. Hell, the series started out as a love letter to Go Nagai's horror manga--in other words lots of pointless pulpy, brutal violence and gore. It's not meant to be a pinnacle of story and never has been. They're great because running around killing gods with a party of other gods is both absurd and awesome at the same time.

Some hardcore fans of the series will debate this but by and large they are not sane. (Seriously, check out the cesspits that are the SMT LPs here if you want to gaze into that abyss)

I dunno, I think Persona 2-4 had pretty good stories, and DDS1/2 seemed pretty decent from what little I played of them (a few hours of the former and ~10 of the latter), but I didn't enjoy them as much as the aforementioned Persona games. The mainline SMT games are definitely not about the story though.

I was underwhelmed by Devil Survivor almost instantly. I never made it past the first mission, I don't think.

e: by "pretty good stories", I don't mean they give A la recherche du temps perdu a run for its money, just that they were about as enjoyable and interesting as video games not called Planescape: Torment get.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 7, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I don't know why anyone would play Persona 2 if not for the story/characters/setting. The battle system is by far the most boring of all the SMT games I've played.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Did Marle and Crono get married at the end of SNES CT or did they just decide they needed to add a DBZ episode that reinforces gender stereotypes to the PSX release?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Blitzball owns, gently caress yall.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Really the only thing wrong with Chrono Cross is its connection to Chrono Trigger. If it had been completely unrelated, it would be remembered as one of the best JRPGs of the generation.

Personally, I couldn't give a poo poo less about its connection to CT, so I love it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Corrosion posted:

It's really not a good game even if you remove that connection. Its relationship to CT just exacerbates/muddles due criticism. Will have to elaborate later, but I've heard that statement before and it just puts a huge hole in the game's plot. Chrono Cross can only occur if Trigger does.

You're right, it's not a good game. It's an awesome game.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Wendell posted:

Noted (at the time) RPG guy Andrew Vestal

RIP GIA

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I posted a lot on RPGamer back then, and from what I remember, most people on there liked CC. Jeremy Parish posted there and he loved it. I could be wrong though, my memory sucks.

I still find it strange that anybody would call Chrono Cross a bad game. It has flaws, sure, but anybody who thinks it's a bad game is seeing the game in a much different light than I am.

But I hadn't beaten Chrono Trigger when I first played CC. I'm not sure I had even played more than a few hours.

e: wow, FFX is #1 on that list of Famitsu readers' favorite games, above FFVII. That's pretty cool; I think FFX is my favorite FF game as well. Also, FFVI is the lowest ranked FF game of FFIII-FFX. I wonder why it's so much more beloved here in the US.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 12, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Chrono Cross has an average user rating of 8.5, and a user review average of 7.5, so it's not as hated by the fans as you guys seem to think it is.

Anyway, does anyone know what Machi is? It's the Famitsu readers' #5 favorite game of all time, and I've never heard of it.

e: I like FF8 as well, if only forLionheart. Lionheart owned. Also I kinda like that Square attempted to make an RPG that's essentially a love story, even if it wasn't the most believable love story.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

FFVIII would've been the best RPG of all time if Laguna et al were the main cast

I did like Quistis and Selphie though. Actually, I liked everyone except Squall and Rinoa.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Were there any good RPGs for the Gamecube besides Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Obviously I'm ignoring the MMO's that are bad, even by MMO standard.

FFXI is not a bad MMO at all; it's really the last great "hardcore" MMO. I think it and EQ are the only ones still going fairly strong.

I have hopes for FFXIV because the team that worked on Abyssea - which was the best addition to FFXI the game has ever seen - is in charge of the development now. It already looks like it's getting much better, but I probably won't bother with it for another year or two.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are Archer/Caster the same Archer/Caster from F/SN?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

When did you play FFXI?

e: I realize arguing about this is pretty pointless, but while FFXI started out pretty awful, it has turned into a pretty darn good MMO in the past couple years. Someone who only really likes the modern super casual MMOs like WoW still probably isn't going to like it, but it's nowhere near a bad game. FFXIV is a bad game.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 13, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Jesto posted:

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

This has a 3.83% average on Gamerankings. :lol:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

TheOriginalEd posted:

Looks like the EU is going to get Last Story and Pandora's Tower early next year if anyone cares about Operation Rainfall games. :toot:

I don't think there was any question of EU getting them; it's NA that probably won't.

I'd say they have a better chance of being localized than Xenoblade did though. Hopefully NOA realizes not localizing Xenoblade was a mistake, seeing as Xenoblade sold really well (I think). Then again, NOA is dumb as hell.

But since we can import them, NOA can just suck my dick! I'll gladly give NOE my money.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Jesto posted:

If they realized that not localizing it was a mistake, why wouldn't they localize it?

Unless that would be tantamount to them admitting a mistake and NOA never admits to mistakes? :confused:

I just figured it'd be too late at this point. Although, they wouldn't have to do much since they could just get the script from NOE and get some American voice actors.

Troffen posted:

The general opinion I've heard on Last Story is "pretty good but not as good as Xenoblade."

Yeah but there are very few games as good as Xenoblade, so that's not saying much.

I'll get it when it comes out either way; it's not like we have much of a selection of JRPGs to choose from this generation.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Kathandrion posted:

Are there ANY wrpgs for playstation or super nintendo?

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are there any upcoming JRPGs that look promising other than Last Story/Pandora's Tower and Tales of Graces F?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm the one person who actually liked FFXIII so I'll probably at least rent FFXIII-2 from Gamefly.

I've never played an Atelier game, but the new one is for the PS3 so I can't play it. Although I do have to get one so I can play Tales of Graces F... :negative:

drat you Bamco for convincing me to get a 360 so I could play Tales of Vesperia and then releasing the next Tales game on PS3. :argh:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Has anyone who hated Oblivion tried Skyrim? If so, how did you like it?

I hate Bethesda and everything they stand for, but I'm still thinking of renting Skyrim. This happens every time they release a game. I'm just too optimistic I guess; I don't want to hate any game.

I know there's the whole subforum devoted to Skyrim, but I don't think anyone there will be very receptive to my question.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Also, get Xenoblade as practice

And because it owns.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

Ugh, that sounds complicated as hell. Couldn't I just buy a European Wii?

It isn't at all. There's a program called ModMii that's incredibly easy to use and will put everything you need on your SD card. All you have to do is put the SD card in your Wii and run the program.

Calaveron posted:

No joke, it takes five minutes. You just need a 2 gig SD Card and the programs you need to softmod it are all self-explanatory and very user-friendly (unless you also want USB Loader to play games off a harddrive to save wear and tear, but even then that would only add an additional 10 minutes assuming you have a USB stick or harddrive that's already partitioned for FAT32).

ModMii will install CFG USB Loader too.

e: also you can format your USB drive as anything you want if you're just using it to run games off of. It only needs to be FAT32 if you want to run apps off of it (which isn't necessary at all, and it doesn't even work for me)

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 18, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Were Trails in the Sky and Oath in Felghana made with the same engine? They look awfully similar.

Also, speaking of Oath in Felghana, are all the bosses as stupid as the first two? I quit playing after beating the 2nd one because I don't think I can take a whole game of that.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah I just mean doing the same thing over and over again for 10 minutes like the 2nd boss.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Coolio posted:

So while I would say in some ways it was an improvement from Oblivion (a very low bench mark) in a lot of ways it's more of the same and adds some annoying new problems

Yeah everything in your post is basically what I was expecting/afraid of. I guess I'll have to exert some willpower and try not to rent it. I just bought New Vegas cuz it was $10 and it's pissing me off so much that I'm thinking of throwing it away/giving it away/declaring western RPGs dead and becoming an RPGCodex poster so I don't need another Bethesda game pissing me off (yes I know Obsidian made NV but the core game was made by Bethesda).

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I most definitely thought Dragon Age was a "traditional" WRPG. It was a bit disheartening all the same, because it felt to me like a step backwards from BG2 in almost every way. However, I understand that BG2's depth of character customization and battle system was due in no small part to being based on an already existing system. So I was looking forward to DA2 expanding on DA's system and adding some complexity to it, and, well...

The Witcher, well... I don't know. The main reason I play RPGs is for the combat and character customization, and The Witcher's was pretty bad. However, I realize that there's more to RPGs than just what I like about them, and most people feel The Witcher did those things really well. I never got far enough to see those elements though, because I only played 2 acts and apparently that's the worst part of the game. I'd like to get to the "good part" some day, but I find it really hard to get past such horrible combat.

I'm not trying to be flippant or troll or anything; I understand that a lot of people love the games that I hate (and vice versa). I just get bummed out that I'm never going to play a game like BG2 or Planescape: Torment or Fallout 2 or even KOTOR again. Even Spiderweb Software, who made some really good traditional WRPGs, is going in a more "modern" and "streamlined" (ie less complex) direction. I guess I can't really blame them though; the kind of games I want to play just don't sell as well as the games other people want to play.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is that like an RPG Maker clone of Highschool of the Dead or something?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've only played a bit of the SW:TOR beta but I think anyone looking for the next KOTOR or a straight up Star Wars themed MMO are going to be disappointed, because the actual game is somewhere in the middle.

If you just want another KOTOR like me, reinstall KOTOR II and grab the TSL Restored Content Mod, because that's about as good as it's going to get.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Every single thing you said was wrong. Hope this helps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Saying DA was a step backwards from BG2 was an exaggeration, but as far as I'm concerned, it was a step backwards in character customization and combat. Everything about those that people in this thread are bemoaning are things that I love. I like that they require understanding of the system, I like that they really require me to think about my build before making it, and I like that I can gently caress up if I'm dumb about my builds (but this isn't nearly as easy to do as people are making it out to be). Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the game is building characters. There's just so much more class variety in BG2, even if you eliminate the downright bad classes/kits. The classes in DA:O were streamlined to the point of being boring, although the advanced classes or whatever they were called alleviated that a bit.

Honestly I just found nearly every part of DA:O past the origins (which were pretty great) to be boring. DA:O's writing was better, but the plot was as generic as it gets (not that BG2's was incredibly unique, but the awesomeness of Irenicus made up for it), and the only character that I really found interesting was Sten. I thought BG2 had some pretty great sidequests, but I can't think of any in DA:O that stood out (not including DLC, which I never played).

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Sounds like someone has never played a kensai/thief.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Kensais are pretty awesome, unless by pure fighter you mean kit-less. But then, every kit-less class in BG2 sucks.

I think the problem with discussion of BG2 on the internet is people talk about how awesome classes like mages and kensais are so much that people newer to the game get the impression that those are the only useful classes, when that isn't true at all. Yes, kensai/mages may be loving insane, but you can still have just as much fun, if not more so, as a blade, or a swashbuckler, or archer, or monk. There are 11 classes and 21 kits and only a couple of them are downright bad. But with a well balanced party you can kick rear end as every single one of them, even the ones that are downright bad.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

That recommend me a JRPG thread got me thinking about Lunar, and I'm curious, which of the 2 good Lunar games do you guys like better?

I think I like Lunar 2 better. I liked the characters better, the story better, I think it's even a longer game. But it's been so long since I played them I barely remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are there any JRPGs out there that have good puzzles? Most of them seem to be "move block into hole" and that's about it.