Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ChuckDHead posted:

You can't go wrong with the basic warrior, mage, and healer archetypes. I have never found much use for the thief type, but those three are essential.

For an opposing viewpoint, I tend to go for the Thief classes first. They tend to have to ability to get the most loot and unlock the most dialogue options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Genpei Turtle posted:

I guess Japanese consumers expect their mammoth game-guide bibles to contain every last conceivable piece of data in them, which is why they end up so huge.

You're god damned right I expect a strategy guide have everything listed. Thats its entire reason for existence. It's not necessary to know the exact hit points/mana of every single monster in the entire bestiary but by god it better be there.

Besides, even if you're trying to preserve some 'mystery' by doing something like putting a high weapon stat as ????? somebody already figured it out and posted it online somewhere.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

That loving Sned posted:

Play it on the PC, with this mod:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8915.0

It automatically installs dozens of mods, like higher quality character models, fmvs and music, as well as bug fixes and translation corrections.

Whoa, I had no idea this existed. My inner teenager is intrigued by this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nate RFB posted:

Why does one assume you will discard the PSP once you get the Vita? I'm getting a 3DS soon but I'll still probably play most of my DS games on my Lite.

Seriously, once the Vita comes out regular PSPs are going to be dirt cheap too. Just get both.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Paperhouse posted:

the first Diablo game came out on Playstation. There's also Darkstone, which as far as I'm aware is just a not-as-good Diablo rip off but I've never actually played it

Imagine Diablo but with cartoony, early era 3D graphics, and worse in basically every way.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This is the most hate for Baldur's Gate 2 I've seen in one place. Ya'lls crazy, and this argument is crazy. The games are so drastically different. Have you guys played Neverwinter Nights 2? That game plays exactly like an early version of Dragon Age, and was much more the predecessor than Baldur's Gate.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Daler Mehndi posted:

I also thought the game was pretty by SNES standards.

Those screenshots remind me of an NES game. They look almost straight out of Final Fantasy 1. Not that a Super Nintendo game should be judged on graphics but still

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MockingQuantum posted:

The writing is not exactly amazing in the NWN2 OC. I didn't have any major issues with bugs, personally. It's a fairly well constructed game, as could be expected from that-era Bioware, and if you don't have issues with D&D ports in general, the system is pretty good. If you can, get the expansions, too. They open up a lot of character options that add some flair to the game.

My major gripe is, if you plan to craft your own items, look up a crafting faq and plan from the start who your crafting characters will be (they hand you one NPC that's basically built for it, another one or two that could easily be adapted to be crafters). DO NOT build your own character to do this, as it's a massive waste of feats for a character that is constantly in the party. Your party NPCs gain experience even when not in the active party, so it's easy to use one of your less-favorite spellcasters for this.

NWN2 is basically Dragon Age before Dragon Age. Nobody seems to agree with me, but I felt the two games were remarkably similar. The biggest problems I had with NWN2:

1) Slow beginning
2) Having a very small selection of classes if you are at all worried about dialogue options (though Dragon Age kinda did this too)
3) I was a rogue (for the dialogue options, although I would have probably picked a rogue anyway) and the last portions of the game feature monsters immune to your roguey abilities.

Other than that I don't really have many complaints. I'm pretty bad about finishing games but I finished NWN2 OC. I didn't finish Mask of the Betrayer because my character was a walking God by that point and there was absolutely nothing in it that was particularly better than the OC. I have no idea why people love Mask of the Betrayer so much. My guess is the thinly veiled references to Planescape, maybe Torment specifically? And going from being able to rest all the time to not being able to rest all the time was a terrible idea. (edit: I got about 3/4 through MotB for the record)

Can't comment on the crafting because my game was bugged in such a way that I couldn't craft anything at all. I did however read that crafting basically broke the game due to the gear being so powerful. I felt I broke the game pretty well with my own loot though.

Also if you are a Swashbuckler you get a really badass hat.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 15, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Makepeace posted:

I've just been playing through the original fallout and have been loving it but I am looking for something else to play alongside it just for variety. After looking through several threads on here I have taken an interest in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, I was just wondering if I should jump straight into it or play through the first game Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption.

I have heard less favourable reviews of Redemption and that it is quite buggy so could anybody who has played through both provide me with some input as to whether i should bother with the first game?

I played Redemption only briefly, but I'm pretty sure the games aren't related in any way, not even the gameplay really. Just play Bloodlines.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Diogines posted:

I missed out on the entire era of first person party dungeon crawlers ala legends of Grimrock. The only ones I ever played were Legends of Arkania and Wizardry 8. What games in the style of Legends of Grimrock should I try out? I want more games like this, though more story would be nice.

For a slightly different suggestion, I'd say the spirit of the genre is in King's Field for PSX. You're only one guy though, not a party. It's light on story, heavy on dungeon-crawling. However you're still scouring walls for secrets, avoiding deadly traps, and fighting a large variety of increasingly freakish monsters. Circle strafing is the strategy of choice in this game, though it's not tile-based. You even fight giant snails! I think anybody with an interest in Legend of Grimrock would find a lot to love in King's Field.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

iastudent posted:

So this weekend was the new planned date for the new copies of Pier Solar to ship out. I wonder how that's going.

"Iast's Inbox posted:

We have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is the OST, Reprint & Reprint EP are delayed yet again for various reasons. As mentioned before, we want the releases to happen simultaneously, so our shipping schedule can be more efficient.

:argh:

What was the good news?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TehGherkin posted:

Firstly, are there any mods that are worth bothering with or content restoration patches like there are for the second?

I'm not sure what it's like now, but when I played a modded KOTOR on PC a few years ago, I became trapped forever on some stupid new area. There wasn't an exit and I already saved several times down there. Lost my 4/5ths of a playthrough thanks to mods :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

swoollacott posted:

Just finished looking through my RPG collection and it seems like 99.9% of them are either fantasy or sci-fi. The only one's I've played that are set in modern times are Alpha Protocol and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Can anyone recommend a good RPG that has a modern setting?

Parasite Eve takes place in 90's New York. I haven't played The World Ends With You but that took place in modern day I believe. This setting is vastly underutilized.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've been playing Persona 3 FES lately and I've been wondering if there are any newer more 'classic' JRPGs in existence. By this I basically mean one with a turn-based battle system. This trend of MMO combat in JRPG games isn't really doing it for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

A Sometimes Food posted:

Someone mentioned it another thread, and got me thinking. Is the PS2 version of Deus Ex any good as a port? It's on the PSN and I have some funbux left over and was just wondering.

I think it's a pretty good port all things considered. Though the PC version is still way better.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The first thing I thought of when I looked at screenshots of Inquisitor was that it looked a lot like an updated Baldur's Gate 2 engine. Then I remembered the Baldur's Gate "Enhanced" edition and I got sad :smith:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MockingQuantum posted:

Why sad? Have I missed some news about the "Enhanced" edition? I was pretty excited about it when I first heard.

Baldur's Gate graphics aren't bad at all, it's just that the Enhanced edition doesn't do anything that hasn't already been done by mods, and better. Those screenshots that Typhus posted are great but my game already looks like that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So it looks like that Inquisitor game just came out yesterday. Anyone check it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Crystal Project was completely off my radar but now I am very, very intrigued.