Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jesto posted:

Everlong: Exactly what it says on the tin, the game probably takes 100 hours to see everything in it. Game is the project of someone who has been working on it on and off as a hobby for the past decade, occasionally making small tweaks to make the gameplay more enjoyable. Has a cast of 10 characters each with their own role and a unique skill system. The dungeons are actually interesting to crawl due to their vibrant designs, the game prevents you from grinding if you hit a too-high level for where you are in the story, the many puzzles can be skipped, you can even disable battles and boss fights outright if you just want to go through the game experiencing the plot. I think there's even an option that will set your levels appropriate to where they should be routinely in the story if you don't want to bother with random encounters but still want to fight bosses. Has a ton of sidequests, clever puzzles and even more content that gets unlocked on NewGame+.

Thank you for posting this - this game is truly incredible. Anyone who enjoys old school SNES RPG's like Final Fantasy VI (III) and Breath Of Fire 2 really needs to check this out. I can't say enough good things about it. I'd been looking for a game just like this after being a huge fan of the long epic stories of the 16 bit RPG era. This one has everything I could have wanted and a hell of a lot more.

All the things you mentioned are simply great and I'd have to add that things like gigantic scripted battles, intensely detailed world map with waypoints and all the towns listed, your own ship that you can populate with characters that will provide different services, tons of interesting towns that are all pretty different looking, excellent music, blinking guide arrows on the tougher to navigate castles that keep you from getting helplessly lost, a battle arena with prizes, a forge system, completely different (and inventive) puzzles in nearly every area (the previously mentioned skip feature is great for some of the tougher ones if you get fed up) and much more. I've put in about 40 hours so far and I'm only halfway through. Story mode is a godsend for those boss battles that you'd rather skip than sit and grind your way through in a war of attrition for a half hour on the same boss.

It's simply astounding that one person completed this game in their spare time and it was released complete and this epic in scope. 2D sprite based RPG greatness at it's peak, honestly.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jesto posted:

All kinds of awesome stuff

Yeah, I'm gonna lose another 100 hours of my life to this game when I replay it, I can already tell. :(

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Really enjoying chained echoes - being that I have been hyped about hundred heroes and sea of stars coming out next year this one kinda came out of nowhere for me and is right in my wheelhouse. If there was one thing I don't like about it so far it's the illusion of being open world but being told 'I shouldn't go this way' for most of the first 6 or so hours of story with so many invisible walls that just turn you back. I assume it all opens up later though so it's no big deal.

Otherwise I'm having a good time with it and I have no doubt I'll finish it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After putting many more hours into Chained Echoes I'm still really enjoying it and it's fun as hell. It's making references outright on purpose and I love that I can recognize the games that it took inspiration from. You can tell that it was made by a true fan of the genre and I look forward to finishing it.