Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Resonance of Fate is a really good tactics heavy RPG. The way the game is built you can't grind through tough encounters and have to use the game mechanics to your advantage to make it past the first few hours. Sadly though, the rate of combat is pretty high so towards the end it can be a bit samey, though the difficulty curve does push you to keep improving.
Also the three main characters are all pretty good and the voice acting it stellar throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

edit: link updated

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 3, 2010

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

i am not zach posted:

That kind of poo poo just really turns me off of video games, JRPGs in particular. Call it petty if you will, but it just breaks my enjoyment of the game and kind of jars me out of getting into the story, if that makes sense.

The game has a few sketchy points after that as well; the kids are annoying whenever they turn up, Gongora continues to get zero character development and the ending is ridiculously sarachine and ignores all the themes built up through the thousand dream stories. Shame, because I generally enjoyed the battle system, broken as it was, and the art direction and music.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DA2 release thread. Never forget.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ugh you trolls haven't even played the game yet, how can be so sure it'll be bad agh you're just determined to hate it ... ... ... oh.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

And another thing: I bought a PS2 specifically to play Dragon Quest VIII, and I picked up Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter really cheap too. Now I'm wondering if the best way to play these games isn't actually to run them on an emulator on my PC?
Anyone got any insights on the pros and cons of doing it on an emulator vs doing it 'pure'?

It depends, do you like upscaling to 1080p, anti-aliasing and texture filtering? (Yes, if your PC can handle it, emulation is totally the way to go.)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Am I the only person who got beaten by the gold plains in BoF4? I know this sounds really stupid but as a kid I spent literal hours trying to find the Cray's Camp in that and I never could. I double and triple checked the directions, I tried following the route in ordinal directions and sub-ordinal directions, I tried finding it broad sweeps of the general directed area, I tried going in the opposite directions in case I'd been reading the compass wrong, I tried turning the game off and on again and cleaning the disc, nothing worked. I've never been able to figure out why I couldn't find what was apparently a very simple location after hours of scrutiny, to this day that experience has baffled me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, in the year of our Lord two thousand and fourteen I've finally gotten round to playing Chrono Trigger and drat I can't believe this game was made in 1995, it's like a response to every criticism of the jRPG genre up to and including the current gen, how the hell did its own developers manage to ignore nearly every cool thing they did in every subsequent game they made? For example:

- Not only are there no random battles but there's not a needlessly large amount of scripted battles either either, allowing the game to move at a brisk pace.

- All encounters take place on the explorable field cutting down on loading times and keeping a stronger sense of continuity between modes of gameplay.

- Positioning being relevant in combat allows for a greater variety of special moves with less redundancies and smarter hand-crafted encounter design without bogging the game down with slow-paced SRPG mechanics.

- Side quests are heavily telegraphed and I'm fairly sure are not missable, or at least have really obvious fail conditions, I don't think there's a single instance of 'in between events N and M, go back to area B and talk to the dog twice' bullshit you still see in jRPGs today.

I get the underlying reasoning for the first three points is almost certainly prioritisation of graphics over gameplay systems, which is depressing, but it still baffles me that if this game were to released for the first time today it would almost certainly be held up as a paragon of progressive game design when it's been sitting there for nearly twenty years, held up as a great game but basically ignored from a design perspective.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And then six years later the same director would make you dodge 200 lightning bolts in a row and dodge suicidal birds to finish a race in zero seconds. I just don't understand what went wrong :confused:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dross posted:

There are also a lot of people who actually like random battles, discrete battlefield screens, etc and will complain mightily if their pet series eschews them for a game or two (see how much people other than me hated FFXII for example). So exploring new mechanics in new IPs with comparatively lower development costs (say, developing for a handheld) is a thing these days. Taking risks on AAA titles is seen as ill-advised.

Well Chrono Trigger is one of the most highly regarded games of all time and alot of things it did are things people always complain jRPGs don't do, it's hardly some crazy niche RPG like the SaGa series with wildly left-field mechanics. Anyway, that's all I came here to say; it's an absolutely phenomenal game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

Yeah, I agree. Honestly I think the whole Soul Blazer Trilogy has aged well. No surprise that they got better as the series grew, but even Soul Blazer still feels pretty good mechanically. It'll always be really satisfying to rebuild a town by exploring a dungeon imo.

Illusion of Gaia had some pacing issues but I feel like the cool locations and goofy pig/poison scenes made up for a lot of that.

e:

See you later goat. :)

I've just downloaded this and given it a go, maybe I'm missing something but the combat seems really aggressively difficult? The basic attack has no hitstun or knockback so if I don't time my swings and step back perfectly I end up exchanging a hit for hit with the goblin monsters every time, I used my healing herb and still died twice just in the first dungeon. Is there something I'm missing to this or does it pick up soon? Because these are things Zelda 1 got right on the NES ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

IIRC you can also hold the attack button to do a goofy 'poke' attack which in a bunch of cases is actually a lot easier to get hits in with without taking damage yourself.

Edit: I'm wrong, you actually hold L or R to do it apparently.

BloodWulfe posted:

The hero's poke attack has a fixed damage rate. I never found it to be very useful, especially later on when health bars explode in size, but you can take advantage of it by walking backwards while enemies (slowly) impale themselves on your sword. You can use it to quickly strafe too.

Mostly you'll want to use White Dragon's advice and smack enemies diagonally from or next to you with your sword arc. You'll always have access to free healing herbs (one at a time max though) so don't worry about gobbling them up, and warp checkpoints are placed pretty reasonably.

Also the first dungeon has an incredibly catchy tune.

Okay this has helped alot, thanks for the advice. I still think it's some pretty anachronistic game design but it's work-aroundable and the rest of the game is pretty charming, and it doesn't look half bad for a 1992 game either.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dmboogie posted:

Vesperia has its flaws, but man did they get the protagonist right. Yuri's probably one of my all-time favorite JRPG heroes, mostly because he's so refreshingly competent (and has a really nice voice).

Yuri Lowell is the best gay androgynous anarchist protagonist jRPGs have ever had.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FFXII would be twice as good if there were a [if target has item] gambit, that's one thing that was a huge pain and even IZJS didn't fix

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Please change the thread title to RPG Thread: The demand for moe is quite high overseas.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm not gonna lie I really couldn't get on with Trails in the Sky. The gameplay was pretty workman-like and mediocre and really missing some QoL features, like not having to go through every unavoidable trash encounter twice as you enter and exit each area but I really couldn't get over the incredibly goofy worldbuilding the game seems so proud so and makes the central focus of the plot. It's like this weirdly airbrushed version of enlightenment era Europe where social problems only occur because of evil mind control magic and everyone accepts their all allotted role in life with an unbelievable degree of earnesty and humility, I honestly lol'd out loud when it got to that scene at the outpost in the mountains where the veteran elite mercenary said with a completely straight face that they shouldn't help the guards fight off the wolf monsters because it is their responsibility to guard the outpost and it would shame them to receive assistance.

I mean fair enough there's no dating sim/moe/whatever elements and that's a plus but 'not made for literal paedophiles' is a pretty low bar to cross.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

Wait, what the hell? That's not what happened in that scene at all. I just went back and checked.

He thinks very little of Estelle and Joshua, and doesn't want them to get in the guard's way. And when it gets too much for the guards to handle, he does step in. There's no mention of shame or whatever.

My mistake, though I thought it still comes off as pretty stupid what with the soldiers fighting for their lives and two up and coming bracers sitting around with their thumbs in their asses because it's 'not their job'. Generally the game rubbed me the wrong way with how it tried to have this big detailed, political world which it wanted to be taken seriously whilst at the same time making it a ridiculously wholesome and more or less idyllic feudal monarchy. I mean fair enough it's not really fair to compare it to 'mature' titles like Morrowind or New Vegas, but it probably shows as much nuance in its worldbuilding as Chrono Trigger or Grandia whilst making it a focal point of the game rather than a loose backdrop for the adventure

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

Wild Arms 3 is really good but is really long. It's basically like they made 3 games with the same cast and basically no plot connection except the development of said cast and then crammed them all into one game.

Yeah this is basically the long and the short of it, it's a pretty cool game but it just never ends. I got to the final arc and just gave up when another completely new villain was introduced. Approaching it as a long-form anime type thing and adjusting your expectations accordingly is probably the best shout.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The two things I look for in an RPG are a) deep/engaging mechanics and b) quick, straight to the point gameplay. I don't end up playing many rpgs :(

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

What do you like then because those two requirements seem to conflict each other.

Been playing alot of Dungeon of the Endless recently which is a pretty great RTwP strategy rpg you can clear in a few hours and Dragonfall DC was also pretty good for avoiding trash encounters and busywork gameplay too. But yeah I can't be doing with alot of goon acclaimed rpgs, feels like I can play for a few hours and not even make a scratch on them and for some games, especially turn based rpgs, that can account for a couple of wipes and not much else. Got a life these days you know.

corn in the bible posted:

you should play lightning returns

I'd be meaning to ask around about this one actually. Is it genuinely good and fun game on its own terms or is it just less than a giant fuckup than the previous titles and the best by default? Alot of people gushing over it seem love it because :allears: :allears: you can dress Lightning up in a wacky costume and that guy does some hammy voiceacting :allears: :allears: which always seemed a bit of a flimsy reason to play a 40 hour game imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought the tighter and more focused design in Origins was a huge improvement, I chucked in the towel on Oath in Felghana fairly early between the nigh-mandatory FAQ checking and overtuned bosses but Origins was a good an arpg as I've ever played (though some of secret character's bosses are still nuts)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It's a good fantasy action movie that is also unfortunately a video game.

I tried replaying Vagrant Story recently and it holds up terribly. Practically every single boss has a single gimmick you need to use do any real damage which strongly discourages any experimentation or character building and the equipment system is both horribly obtuse and time consuming. The visual style holds up fantastically and the plot is a pretty cool fantasy Metal Gear Solid but actually playing the drat thing is a tremendous drag.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Clive's damage output is hilariously absurd.

Although later in the game going for no-weapon fighting is actually very valid and hilarious.

I really liked the spell that gave you a attack increase for every hitpoint you were missing, that poo poo was insanely broken and fun to use and completely outclassed the conventional damage buff you got much later and seemed like it was meant to be an upgrade.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

The final boss is pretty trash with his 1-hit-kill-unless-you-block-it-within-a-1-second-window.

Protip: right before he launches his ultimate attack, switch to shield built for magic and dark resist, that cuts the damage it does in half and you can switch right back to your standard weapon immediately afterwards.

But genereally, Vagrant Story wasn't that hard once you figured what to do but it was still just really boring and unfun. The boss fights being reduced to 'this is the one where I use piercing + frost damage' 'this is the one where I use blunt + fire damage' isn't great design, especially in a single character rpg where that's the entirety of the fight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also Vayne is actually a pretty cool villain with a decent motive which contrasts well with Ashe and fab hair. Shame FFXII was basically Fetch Quest: The Game and he barely got any time to shine. I mean I guess they really wanted their epic treks through the game's incredibly impressive environments but there had to be a happy middle ground.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Toal's playthrough is actually pretty different with a mostly new set of bosses and the True Final Boss Fight, Huge is just more of Yunica's with his gimpy moveset.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Whoops yeah that one

I stopped playing when the game made me hunt down leftist guerrillas in space south america and then invade a pacifist nation to seize their national defence forces to fight a war they wanted no part in, but assuming anything like that doesn't bother you it's a pretty fun game which crams a hell of alot into a DS cartridge, there's extensive ship customisation, fleet building, tactical space battles and a really long campaign with tons of locations and characters. It does just change a pretty weird turn in the latter section of the game ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Final Fantasy IX barely has enough for one player to do

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Chrono Trigger definitely has my favorite 16-bit pixel art. When I first played the game I thought it looked like a painting. The courtroom scene is unforgettable, I can't ever remember a game that made me want to restart from the beginning so I could change the verdict (even though you can't change the verdict).

Yeah you can, the Chancellor just gets extra-judicial on you afterwards

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Like Square wouldn't farm out a remake/sequel to the universally beloved Matrix Software

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

All Else Failed posted:

I just read through like the last 50 pages of this thread because it was genuinely interesting and friendly chat, and now I'm wondering if the thread can help me. Though I suspect you can't -- not because of you, because I don't think there's really anything to help me with.

For the past, I dunno, 5 years or so, I haven't really gamed. I have, but not for realsies. The pas 2.5-3 years have been a lot of League of Legends, and I've played Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden which is maybe the most important thing to ever happen to humanity, and I did a nice stint of iphone gaming a couple of years ago. Just lots of dabbling because at one point I had a life and other hobbies (not anymore, I'm back to being a loving loser).

Anyway, I've been growing tired of online gaming and have slowly taken to emulating again (I can emulate PS2 now which is a new development, finally got to check out God Hand which I heard about on the forums many years ago but I lost interest after fighting the loving Leblanc poo poo with her stupid hearts) because as far as I can tell, video games are pretty trash nowadays, especially if you like JRPGs. Also as far as I can tell, I am a mere pedestrian in this world compared to you folks.

I emulated Chrono Trigger and didn't get very far before my computer crashed last year. Probably close to ten years ago I played FFTA and loving loved it. I think I squeezed in like 1/3 of Mario RPG too (I know, I was the kid with Sega and not SNES). When I was younger and had a PS2/GC, I absolutely loving loved FFX and FFX-2 (and obviously FF7 when I got around to playing it -- and FF12 bored the gently caress out of me mostly) and even though I don't replay games much, have been considering just revisiting those. And even though I don't replay games much, I have beat Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door like 3 times because it's honestly a loving great game.

Recently I played through about 2/3 of FFVI before my save file got corrupted (I was kind of bored anyway, lots of turbo-ing and pressing A because random encounters are easy and boooooring) and just today I decided, gently caress it, I'm going to make up for lost time and grab Pokemon Ruby because I barely touched Pokemon as a kid. I played Dragon Quest VIII for about 20 minutes on recommendation and honestly have no desire to touch it again, I hated the menu/equip setup and the control scheme (though that part could be remedied easily I guess).

(I'd also like to thank the thread for reminding me of Shadow Hearts: Covenant and to a lesser extent Lost Odyssey, and a lesser extent Tales of Vesperia as I had a 360 instead of a PS3, those were probably my last forays into RPGs until recently)

My question is, given that like with all things, I tend to like to skim off the top and only spend time on the cream of the crop (at least as I consider them) and don't really have an interest in grinding out some lovely JRPG just because, are there any games you guys can truly recommend to me that won't make me want to pee on your head after an hour? I have heard of a bunch of the games mentioned here but I am just skeptical all around, I kinda feel like you have to be a die-hard enthusiast to enjoy it anymore. Would I be better off just running through FF X-2 or FFTA again after all these years or maybe sticking with Ruby? I think I've just realized that like with all things, the classics are cool but they don't really totally do it for me. I'd also like to mention that I don't mind things being somewhat on the rails, I never got into games like Skyrim because I feel like there is no goddamned point to them and the options are too overwhelming, it's a life simulator almost.

Does any of this make sense? Sorry for the rambling but just trying to give some context into the kind of pleb rear end in a top hat I am here so you know not to tell me to play an obscure lovely game that barely anyone itt likes. I've considered Grandia II as well but I honestly don't like pointless grinding, I like a good challenge but not having to sperg out about a game or force myself to stay interested for 100 hours in order to play it properly. Mostly, I just like games that feel unique and well-crafted.

Anyone?

:stare:

After skimming through that I think what you really need is not a jrpg but therapy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

But yeah if you want a jrpg you could do far far worse than giving Chrono Trigger another spin, it's probably one of the most bullshit free and constantly enjoyable jrpgs ever made

But seriously a videogame isn't going to fix the cause of that incredibly depressing post seek therapy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

actually, the 12-year-old posing owns

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Humor and dark setting can definitely be combined in a satisfactory manner! But Valkyria Chronicles is not that. It's trying to have the cake and eat it too. If you left the war in the background and focused on the ~anime~ it would totally work, just look at Advance Wars. But the combination of realistic warfare, rumination on the nature of war, and 12-year old shocktroopers making poses after every kill just loses you somewhere around the part with the 12-year old.

Like, Fire Emblem also gets away with it somehow. A lot of it has to be the fantasy setting, instead of WW2 in all but name.

Valkyria Chronicles was never going to have a good story about WW2, it's probably best they just ran with it and piled on the goofiness

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol from start to finish and I never got why people hated the gameplay, it wasn't terribly balanced but it was actually pretty fun and punching everyone in the throat has hilarious.

The only thing which really stuck out for me was the frequent mood changes between missions and subplots which never went anywhere, you have this super grim and bleak conversation in a frosty Moscow park with an enigmatic spymaster at midnight about 'it's not going to end well for anyone' than a few hours later you're helping a comically insane 'secret agent' torture a guy to find his car keys. I mean all those scenes are great by themselves but I didn't think it all gelled terribly well together in the end

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Hey, we got it eventually. Digital only two years later but, uh.....

... it's still a big improvement over the PS1 era!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Final Fantasy ... Tactics? What's that?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

the witcher 1 is an incredibly boring single player mmo

the witcher 2 gives you an invincibility spell at the start of the game

the author of the novels has said the writing of the games is really dumb and I would have to agree

Being such a purveyor of it I guess he'd know

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Does anyone remember Summoner? Is it worth grabbing if it's extra cheap on Steam?
And what about that PS2 sequel? Is that one worth a drat?

There's some weird-rear end cosmology poo poo in them if that's your thing, especially in the second one but they're generally nothing special and dated pretty badly in their own generation. Also 2 had broken as gently caress crafting and combat mechanics and it was pretty easy to OHKO to penultimate boss, which was kinda funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Wow, Tales of Symphonia started off dark in the stock "burn the home village" section. :stare: It's like I'm playing DDS2 again. Will I have to trick some guard by mixing poison into his favourite cans of human flesh eventually?

No, but you will learn a Very Important Lesson about racism