Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
I've run into a bit of a problem.

Since I learned to read, RPGs have been my favorite genre of game. I love the choices you can make with your characters as well as a good plot to keep you playing. The issue, is that I'm becoming disillusioned with my favorite genre. Time and time again, I will start an RPG and then abruptly quit. Usually, I find myself losing interest because of one of two things. The first is that the character customization isn't there. I've tried playing several of the FF games but find that I often run into the problem of "here's your character, this is his class, level him up to 100." During that time, the player really has no influence on the direction their character is developing, just mindlessly leveling them up. The second, and the biggest problem, is that the story just sucks. When I was little, collecting crystals to send the devil back to hell was cool but I can't sit through that poo poo anymore.

Some of my early favorites were The Illusion Of Gaia (part of what kept me playing was wondering what that second dude I was gonna eventually transform into would be), Super Mario RPG, Shin Megami Tensei and other greats.

It's been years between RPGs I've actually been able to finish now that I'm older. Persona 3 was amazing and, even though it took me 70 plus hours, I came back time and time again for the intrigue of the story, and the awesome persona fusing. For whatever reason, Persona 4 didn't hold my attention.

The World Ends With You surprised the poo poo out of me and gave me enough variety in playstyle both via the unique combat system and the pin collecting to keep me playing. As far as DS games go, DQIX had an awesome skill/armor system, but just fell into a big grind.

I'm generally a sucker for monster raising RPGs but only the most recent Pokemon kept my attention through the credits. Can't bring myself to play the endgame stuff. Maybe I've just done the same thing too many times at this point.

So, basically, I'm just wondering if anyone has something to recommend. I love the class system in EO3 but don't feel there's enough of a story to keep me playing it. The story in Tactics Ogre for the PSP is fascinating but the gameplay drags way too slow for my tastes.

All I'm looking for is a game that allows me some control over my main character, be it through choices in plot or skills/class branching stuff (preferably both). And a story I haven't seen a thousand times. I have a DS, PSP, PS2, Wii and a (broken) 360 available if that narrows things down. I know this all sounds finicky and dumb, but I just want to enjoy my favorite type of game again. I'll try pretty much anything once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.

Kersch posted:

Try a translated rom of Der Langrisser for the SNES. It has branching classes for all of your playable characters and branching story paths that go in 3 or 4 different directions. Its a strategy RPG where you control strong generals that are surrounded by lumps of soldiers that are buffed if they stay near you. If you ever played Warsong on the Genesis, this is actually Warsong 2.

I've never played Warsong, but this sounds really interesting. I'll start looking into it asap. Thanks!

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Any chance you can fix your 360 to play Dragon Age: Origins? I'm in the same boat, can't finish RPGs anymore, they don't hold my attention, but DAO was so well presented and paced that I got lost in it. The plot isn't as silly as most jPRGs, there's a fair amount of class customization that's possible too.

I've actually really wanted to try Dragon Age. In the next week or two I'm planning on getting the 360 up and running again so I'll pick up a copy then.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys!