Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bean posted:

Is any one else tired of the super super generic RPG? You can usually identify these by the fact that they're sitting in piles at Gamestop. They always have the plucky adventurer on the cover, backed by his pink haired girlfriend healer, and somewhere between three and five other cookie cutter adventurers behind him. I'm not horrifically picky when it comes to my RPGs -- I dug the Xenoseries and FF13 just fine -- but I'm bored of the generic ones taking up shelf space.

Some of these can be rather endearing, while others are complete and utter piles of poo poo. I think a lot of it has to do with conforming to tropes out of laziness instead of owning them in a self-aware fashion. Sorta like that fat kid with a hell of a swagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nathilus posted:

I remember playing Daggerfall and not having a mark spell outside of any given dungeon you were playing in was a death sentence and made it almost impossible to find your way back out. Good times.

Daggerfall is great fun if only to explore the ridiculous number of glitches. It's actually a pretty good game in itself, but the glitches make it hours of ceaseless entertainment.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Well...there are some things out there banging along that include:

http://www.darklightdungeon.com/ Solo though, but the dev appears to be putting forth effort. Beta version currently out there that got a big update recently.
http://www.decklinsdemise.com/news.php Incredibly long in the making, but almost done as far as "expansions that essentially redo the source and then some with much content". Probably one of the things I'm most looking forward to in this regard assuming it can make the October release date.

Man, I wish there were more games in the style of Mordor/Demise. Despite the absolutely terrible art and UI in both there was something intensely addictive about them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Badvertising posted:

I just read a few pages, but there is a good indie company called Spiderweb Software - the guy has made a ton of games, and they're all old school turn-based RPGs.

I loved the Exile series when I was younger, and probably put in 80+ hours to Exile 3 (the Avernum series is a remake).

For anyone jonesing for the days when games were hard and the world was huge and you had to plan things out - these games are the answer.

Also, there is a game called Realmz that is now free as well - very solid multi-scenario old-school RPG game.

They're both worth checking out if you used to play any of the old, tough classic games as kid.

Something to note: Blades of Exile has been open sourced to add in compatibility for modern systems, and is now free.

http://code.google.com/p/openexile/

I've had a great nostalgic time with it, although I wish they'd add in a feature to increase the number of tiles displayed, it feels a bit claustrophobic on modern resolutions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Wendell posted:

I'm almost sure they come with RPG Maker.

Naw, but they're so common in RPG Maker games they might as well be. They're facesets by a dude(s?) named Mack & Blue, who contributed some of the most popular resources used in RPG Maker projects. Some might be edited, but for the most part it seems like they used pure Mack & Blue where face portraits are concerned.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

I beat Blue Dragon recently, it was pretty cool. Easy as hell aside from a handful of super-powerful enemies I didn't feel like grinding up to gently caress with, though (even the regular optional bosses were easy as hell, aside from the stone dinosaur and that loving poison ghost tree)...

And who doesn't love a game with a boss theme so ridiculous it loops back around to being loving awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Didn't the guy from Deep Purple sing this?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ice Blue posted:

Xenosaga makes me sad that we never got more Xenogears.

Likewise, Xenogears Disc 2 makes me sad that we never got more Xenogears.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Taeke posted:

I would like to thank you guys for putting Divinity 2 on my radar. It is a lot of fun, with just enough customisation (could be more though, although the creature is an awesome extra) and roleplay. The story seems to be kind of meh but okay so far (level 13 now, didn't play the first game) but it doesn't need to be better. It's a good intro that really explains the whole 'hero'-role you're in, and although some things are a bit illogical that's easily excused.

Fun-wise it's definitely one of the better RPGs I've played, so thanks again. :)

It's also got some hilarious references scattered here and there. First I noticed was one of the drunken guards in the first town with whom you could claim to be Merlin the Happy Pig.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

You could always play Grandia XTreme and Lunar Legend :ironicat:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Also personally I can't really see the rationale in playing just Eternal Punishment. It's kind of stand-alone but I can't imagine appreciating it nearly as much without experiencing Innocent Sin. I mean I know that's all US players had to play, but when I played both IS and EP back-to-back a couple of years ago it truly did feel like one continuous experience where the first game smoothly led into the other. I'm very gladly I waited until the IS fan-translation patch came out.

I played a bit of EP before IS, and I kept feeling like there were references I was missing. It was a good game, but that was always in the back of my mind and lessened my enjoyment of it significantly.

Now that the english patch for the PSX version of IS is out and there's an imminent PSP remake that's likely to be localized (last I checked), there's really no reason not to start with IS.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Nice! The only one I didn't pull the trigger on was Front Mission because I only had a few bucks on me at the time...Also worth 50 cents? Garage sale is over, but dude lives across the street for me.

Front Mission isn't bad, but the DS remake is better in pretty much every way, being based on the PSX remake that had a bonus campaign.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

casual poster posted:

Valkyria Chronicles has characters that aren't expendable. It's not a "true srpg" though because it doesn't take place on a grid, but there still is alot of strategy needed in it. For instance you have a set amount of steps you can take, how many shots, etc. The first one has a really great storyline also, however it can be very anime at times. Battle takes place on a field where you control the character from a 3rd person view and position them on the battlefield. The 1st one is definitely worth a playthrough.

There were missions that pretty much required some bullshit strategies, though. I think there was one I literally could not complete unless I parked my tank right in an anime girl's face.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 is an objectively bad game, though. :colbert: I will not be persuaded otherwise. It was Bioware's first RPG, and it showed in so many ways. BG2 is infinitely better and I will not tell anyone who played BG2 to go back to BG1.

The Tutu mod really makes the game playable again, though. It's mostly my preference, but I rather like the "explore every nook and cranny" feel of the first, even if it does tend to be underdeveloped, especially before reaching baldur's gate. Once you get there, it does begin to pick up steam right up to the end, which is an appropriately intense final battle.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Centipeed posted:

Also, are those more powerful summons story-based or purely levelling-based?

both, really. You can fuse some through sheer grinding, but for a lot of the more powerful ones you have to max out a social link through the various sub-plots.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Escher posted:

So, the evidently super old-school Eschalon RPGs went on sale on Steam. I've been curious about them for a while now. Anyone care to offer a recommendation for or against?

If you like the Exile/Avernum style of deep character customization and exploring the nooks and crannies of a world it's not a bad choice.

It should be noted that book II makes I a bit redundant; I guess you could play it for the plot but that's not exactly these games' strong suites.

If it's one of those sales where buying both costs you less than buying one, by all means get both.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

FFVIII would've been the best RPG of all time if Laguna et al were the main cast

I did like Quistis and Selphie though. Actually, I liked everyone except Squall and Rinoa.

I hated FF8 but would play a spinoff with Laguna & co. in a heartbeat.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kathandrion posted:

Are there ANY wrpgs for playstation or super nintendo?

I want to be able to pick the main character's class and I'm looking for something very numbers based, like a dnd game.

I've played pretty much all the classic jrpgs (final fantasies 6-9 and tactics, chrono trigger and cross, etc), and I'm really jonesing for more customization.

This is for me to play on my phone, if that matters.

Shin Megami Tensei I-II are heavily inspired by Wizardry, and are most similar to Wizardry III in that you have a small cast of human characters supported by a huge variety of summoned demons you can manage and fuse. They are technically jrpgs as they come from Japan, but they're about as western as a jrpg gets.

No classes as such, though, so if that's a deal-breaker you may not enjoy them. The main character can't cast any spells so you're pretty much stuck with building him as a generic fighter or gunman.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You know, ever since it was proposed years ago, I've always hoped that someone would make an LP thread where they play the worst RPGMaker games in existence.

That wouldn't be hard to do, just run through MR BIG T's catalog.

EDIT: And the pseudo-legendary DONALD gently caress RPG

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iastudent posted:

What's my best bet these days for a grid-based first person dungeon crawler? I don't think I can hold out until Legend of Grimrock comes out next year. :ohdear:

Frayed Knights is Wiz 8-style free move, but it's very much a (satirical) first-person dungeon crawler. It's a bit rough around the edges, though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ninjaturtle posted:

AKA if anyone can get a hold of it please send to me :)

I've been looking for it too, but apparently the author asked for people to stop distributing it or something. Maybe cause of a C&D? Had no luck myself so if someone finds it send it this way too!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Most non unique and non high level enemies weren't worth looting either in BG2. I think some of you may have nostalgia glasses on regarding BG2. It's not BG1 since you will find your first +1 and even +2 items in the first tutorial dungeon and it's not very exciting regardless. What BG2 DID have were tons of unique named items from named enemies and quests. Also while loot on your average yuan-ti or kobold or imps are dull and not very exciting at all, what was exciting was all those tinkets and toys you see in the bazaars of the first town so you would pick up all loot regardless just so you could sell them all and one day hope to buy those sweet rear end robes.

Or use a Potion of Master Thievery to nick everything from under their nose. :smug:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

casual poster posted:

Wow, not sure how I feel about these. Radiant Historia and Bastion definitely deserve their place there, but they left out some good games. Like, say, Dark Souls? I see they added it to "best battle system" category, but, 3rd place? What the hell. Also, why would they give Fate/Extra a 2nd place spot in the "Most Original" category when they gave it a 2.5 rating?! Eh, gently caress RPGamer.
Where do you all go for rpg news?

If you can ignore the lovely community, RPG Codex has good info on western RPGs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Chrono/Magus/Frog is the only party what are you on about :colbert:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Miijhal posted:

I recommend browsing RPGmaker.net, and searching for the lowest rated games. It's great for finding terrible poo poo, like Escape From Middle School, Cod: Nazi Zombies, and the barely started, but "grafikally" intense Suteki. I've personally played the latter two, and I can vouch for their terribleness.

Look for Donald gently caress RPG, it's one of the most terrible games ever. It's really, really rare because of a C&D I think but I have it if you really need it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I think we all need this game.

Ask and ye shall receive

http://www.mediafire.com/?vk6e07jln0bn1kh

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a good turn-based RPG that is non-tolkien-fantasy, not a Final Fantasy, JRPG style, and generally darker/more serious? I'm not talking terribly dark and depressing, but something reminiscent of FF6 World of Ruin, a lot of FF7, the 12000 BC & 2300 AD sections of Chrono Trigger, and the Shadow Hearts series. In other words, not as artistically dark as thematically dark/foreboding.

Anything fit that mold? I'm just a little burnt out on RPGs that are either a bit dopey/cutesy or focused on politics and military maneuvers.

Have you tried Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Makepeace posted:

I've just been playing through the original fallout and have been loving it but I am looking for something else to play alongside it just for variety. After looking through several threads on here I have taken an interest in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, I was just wondering if I should jump straight into it or play through the first game Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption.

I have heard less favourable reviews of Redemption and that it is quite buggy so could anybody who has played through both provide me with some input as to whether i should bother with the first game?

Redemption and Bloodlines are completely unrelated besides drawing from the same source material (the tabletop game). You will lose nothing by skipping out on Redemption.

Both of them are very buggy, but overall Bloodlines is far more of a net positive. Some people do like Redemption so have a close look at it and see if it would float your boat.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

So I just rebought the complete Might&Magic franchise on gog.com

Now back then we did our mapping on graph paper, but I really don't want to go that route anymore. Is there a recommended software tool that helps with the mapping process?

As said all save 1 have automap features. I'd use graph paper for that myself though, tabbing in and out of the game would start to annoy me after a while.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Wendell posted:

So you haven't played the others since you were 13, right? Because long, dry conversations are not new to the series. Also, it doesn't have offensive characters because it barely has characters.

Yeah the characterization in general is incredibly weak, and it doesn't help that once you get some Djinn everyone can do pretty much the same stuff in battle.

Some of the "secret" classes were pretty cool though. Getting a Samurai by accident was really awesome to my 13-year-old self.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Can anyone recommend a horror/paranormal themed RPG that is NOT SMT/Persona or overtly anime-styled? Something with a good atmosphere to it would be great. Something with awesome music would be even better.

And a tag-on question: The reason I ask is, myself and a group of friends want to try our hand at game development, and our initial discussion determined that our best choice for a first project may be an old-school turn-based RPG, as that would present the fewest hurdles in actual development and execution, and the idea of a horror-themed, maybe lovecraft-styled RPG was floated. I know we'd be trading development difficulties for stylistic/storyline writing difficulties, but does that idea sound interesting to anyone on this board at all?

How about Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines?

RPGs are a fairly complex first project. Many of the individual parts that go into it are simple but time-consuming and tedious, especially writing up the various databases full of monster and player statistics, damage algorithms, experience tables, etc. In the end, it can be hard to prevent the user interface from feeling sterile and dull (Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves the World both suffer from this).

I'd suggest starting with something simpler that at the same time isn't braindead and uninteresting. Maybe a graphical adventure game or a platformer?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

So the next game in the Divinity series has been announced..... and it's an isometric turn based RPG that takes place before Divine Divinity with some pretty advanced co-op designed for it

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=192&ref=0&id=499

I just hope it's not Beyond Divinity all over again.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fitret posted:

Edit: How does Persona 4 compared to 3? 3 felt very repetitive to me - I really enjoyed the first 20 - 30 hours, but then the dungeons just felt waaaaaaaaay too long.

The mechanics are better in 4 and rather than one dungeon you have several with different themes. That said I felt the plot didn't have as much of a momentum; it's very heavily backloaded.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Why is everyone so excited about that game, anyway? From all I've seen it's a pretty generic console RPG.

because RETRO MAN :downs:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Levantine posted:

I haven't played The World Ends With You. I didn't like the aesthetic at a glance - what's cool about it?

The gameplay can be frustrating and overly frantic at times but it's very unique and getting into the rythm and flow can be highly addictive. The story is pretty bad anime stuff but never nauseatingly so.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'd just play 1 & 2, maybe D3 and call it a day.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Unfortunately the quality of 7 is very much frontloaded. As you see, Midgar is fantastic, detailed, and immersive. Once you leave, the game is never the same again. :smith:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Gonna air out a few more complaints Re: Vagrant Story.

I think it's super dumb how far apart save points are, only to encounter multiple ones in rapid succession and then not encounter any more for a long time. Especially when you have none at all in between bosses. Speaking of bosses, what are you supposed to do when your Risk gets high? Seems like the only solution is to use items, because you aren't going to survive long if you try to run around and avoid attacks. I've quickly grown sick of the timing system for chain/defense attacks; I can rarely link them together and more often than not I fire off the defense ones by accident in the middle of an enemy's attack because I'll be mashing O trying to start a new chain. Trying to get the timing down for that dragon's fire attacks was a nightmare. I'm at the second workshop and it still seems like combining weapons is a waste of time; I've cycled through every possible combination and they all seem to be worse than what I already have.

Is the whole game basically a giant dungeon? That one isn't really a complaint, it's just kind of unusual.

If you're still having trouble with that dragon I remember cheesing it with the damage reflection skill thingy. Not sure if that's how it's intended to be fought but I thought I was pretty smart at the time! (I was like 13-14 :allears:)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I thought FF9 was great because it had legitimate arcs for most of the characters. They did drop the ball on Quino and Amarant though, those guys just felt like they had no place.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

trikker posted:

While on the subject of recommendations...

I'm looking for games that satisfy the following conditions.

1)
You are rewarded for understanding the mechanics of the game, and utilizing that understanding. The mechanics should enable challenge, and this challenge should exist in the game, optional or otherwise. I hesitate to say that the mechanics should be complex since you can probably imagine, or have experienced, complex mechanics that give rise to a few obvious overpowered strategies. The slope of the learning curve doesn't matter, but its global maximum should be high. Grinding should not be a viable option, though I realize this is kind of a staple of the genre (often a fallback for the design not allowing the player to "reset" poorly made choices that have gotten them stuck in a difficulty rut). Real-time is kind of annoying, but I liked Chrono Trigger in Active mode so I guess I don't know who I am anymore. A good example is FFT 1.3.

2)
Lots of exploration. I don't like what amounts to a list of puzzles to check off (Advance Wars). There should be a world I can walk around in, people/things to talk to, branching paths, weird optional stuff, etc. I have fonder memories of exploring Treno than of killing Lord Gizmaluke. Even better if the exploration integrates well with the mechanics, e.g. a more-challenging-than-average enemy is blocking an optional, but useful, shortcut. A good example is Dark Souls.

3)
Unique and interesting, but well thought out setting and plot. You know, like someone sat down and said "hmm, what if the world worked this way? Well then I guess this would happen, then this would happen..." However, a well-developed lore shouldn't be at the expense of character development, nor should it smother you with loads of unsatisfying and flavorless gruel. I can't say Dark Souls again so um...FFIX...because...Hawaii? Honestly my bar is pretty low here, I just want it to be fun. Think 'Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind' and not 'Star Wars'.

4)
3DS, PC, 360, smart phone, or emu preferred, but honestly if it's good I'll get whatever console.

So far I've kind of looked at Radiant Historia and the Shin Megami Tensei series. Unfortunately gameplay videos are awful to judge by, when 90% of the interesting stuff is under the hood. And though it isn't saying much, I value the opinion of random people in a paywalled RPG thread a hell of a lot more than whatever reviewer.

I realize these conditions are kind of vague, in that they amount to 'I want a good game', but any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Completely off-topic from this post, but something I found while wiking Chrono Trigger's active mode. One of the original story ideas that was scrapped for Chrono Trigger was that After Crono is killed by Lavos, they go back in time and bring Crono from the past back into the future to finish their journey. I'm not so much surprised (though disappointed) at the decision to scrap this for the doll solution, since children can't watch the Sopranos or whatever, but man would it have made for a more interesting final act. Suddenly, assuming the party informs him of his fate (or maybe they hide it from him, but he finds out in a great WTFGUYS moment), Crono has to come to terms with his premature death and, depending on the direction writing takes, try to circumvent it or accept it (or both?). Potentially a bunch of weird time-travel issues here as well (as if the game didn't have enough) Source

I've played Shadow Tower: Abyss with the english translation patch and rather liked it, it seems to fulfill a lot of your wants. It's basically King's Field mixed with Hunger Games in that the equipment you find tends to be worn down and breaks quite fast relative to similar games, so you're constantly subbing in weapons that you've found lying around just to make sure you have good stuff when you need it. There are lots of very aesthetically cool areas to explore and you have to be aware while doing so; this is King's Field in spirit and will insta-kill you mercilessly if you aren't paying attention.

From the get-go, you're exploring this forest that is dark and menacing and yet at the same time colorful and serene. The atmosphere is pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I dunno, while I liked Shadow Tower Abyss I actually thought it was one of the easier FROM Software games, next to Eternal Ring. It's hard going early on but the game didn't seem balanced for guns at all and made around 2/3 of the game a joke.

The original Shadow Tower is pretty fiendish though and still has much of the same mechanics though again, if you're using ranged weapons like crossbows then you kind of remove any difficulty the game has.

Yeah the ranged weapons are rather disproportionately strong, and a big part of that is how awkward the KF-style controls are. If you go in for melee attacks you're just so much more likely to be punished for it.

One of the cool things, though, is that you can hack limbs off of a lot of enemies to cripple them in different ways.