Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The Penny Arcade Adventures is a great couple RPGs that clock in at about 10 hours each, max, but they stopped making them after the second :(.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Woah now, they each took 6 hours for me. 15 hours might be a little much.

It's been a long, long time since I played them. You're probably right.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

TooManyUzukis posted:

I'm hesitant to mention it since you specifically listed AP and ME2 (guns!), but The Witcher 2 recently came out and it's fantastic. If you have a decent PC and don't mind playing a very difficult game, I highly recommend it.

I second this. It's really good, with a shitload of stuff to do.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

Hey all, quick question. I was at a garage sale over the weekend and noticed the guy had some classic Playstation RPGs, so I picked up Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy 9, and Suikoden 2 for 50 cents apiece. I figured that even if they sucked...50 cents. Good purchases? Any of them really good? I know that there were some amazing RPG's in the old Playstation days and some really lovely ones, and I never played any of these, and can't remember if they were supposed to be any good.

All of them are very good, you're drat lucky.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

VDay posted:

Man, this sounds exactly like a game I'd really enjoy. Stupid console exclusivity bullshit, just let me play your god drat game :argh:

We're talking about Resonance of Fate? It's not console-exclusive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I tend to hate WRPGs but I've come to really love ME. Especially the dialogue wheel, which allows you to shape Shepherd's character (and I do mean he/she has an actual character as a result), rather than the usual approach of having the main just serve as a lifeless avatar of the player who doesn't actually feel like a person in the story.

I find the dialogue wheel is one of the worst parts of the games. It's cements the worst part of Bioware games - the incredibly polar dialogue choices - into an actual gameplay element, and for some reason, calls it innovative. Simply because you're choosing from a wheel instead of a list.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hey here's a question. Are there any more RTS-RPG games out there like Warcraft III? I always thought it was awesome to build an army around one buff unit and level him up. I remember there was that Dragonshards game but I heard it wasn't great so I never played it. Is it worth checking out and is there anything else like that?

If you want an somewhat old game that's heavy on the RPG elements, there's Spellforce, and it's sequel. It's so RPG that there are times that you'll feel like you're playing a third-person RPG, until you start commanding units. The sequel is much better, if I remember right.

Also, I had a lot of fun with Warlords: Battlecry (I think there are three in the series), which is based around levelling up a single hero in a variety of ways between missions. The RTS elements aren't particularly strong, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

!amicable posted:

The Witcher 2 will ease those feelings of predictability. And it's actually challenging.

Yes, everybody needs to play The Witcher 2, an actual good RPG with grey choices and a shitload of customization, plus challenge, exploration, tons of sidequests, interesting characters, and some actually fun combat.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

casual poster posted:

When you start 5, on the ship, you need to talk to EVERYBODY before the story progresses. I would of been on that drat boat forever if I hadn't read a few tips first.

That's pretty much standard fare in almost any RPG, though. If you're one a boat, step 1 is talk to everybody.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

casual poster posted:

Anyone looking forward to Dungeon Siege 3?

Yes and no. I want to pick it up for the co-op fun with a friend, but I can't imagine getting it at full price, unless some really good reviews come in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I dunno, I found Radiant Historia...flat? I don't know how to explain it. The story was pretty cool, but the time travel mechanics were dumb. Every choice was the 'right' choice or instant game over. I was expecting a branching storyline, not a single branch at the beginning of the game and then nothing else. The time travel didn't add anything to the game, and it didn't seem like the main character learned anything except for very specific plot points. In Chrono Trigger, they got away with this by having time travel points separated by hundreds of years, so they couldn't do much to affect things, but when Stocke sees a guy who he knows will cause the death of hundreds and does nothing about it because it isn't far enough in the game's timeline yet, it feels silly.

I also didn't like the lack of any secondary RPG stuff. There were sidequests, but they were fairly lackluster and the rewards weren't worth the time spent. And beyond progressing the story, there just wasn't anything to do. No hidden dungeons, no secret paths, no incentive to do anything except hunt down the next guy to talk to.

I liked the story and the characters, and the combat was kind of neat. Hell, I 100%-ed the game (the secret boss was a giant pain in the rear end). But I just wasn't very impressed with the package as a whole.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 23, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I tried Radiant Historia and got maybe three hours in. I don't know what it is, but it didn't grab me, at all. I couldn't even have been bored with JRPGs, since soon after I picked up DQV and Chrono Trigger and am well over 30 hours combined into them. I just... the premise was interesting, but they didn't seem to do anything really interesting with it right at the start, and the battle system felt like busywork rather than strategy. I just don't know.

Phew, I'm not crazy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Cross-posting this with the GOG thread.

I'm doing a story on the making of Planescape Torment for Retro Gamer magazine. I'm interviewing a number of the leads on the project, and given this awesome opportunity, I'm extending an offer out there to the goons to suggest some questions I should ask the crew.

Anyone?

- If you could do the game over with today's modern tech, would you change anything? Do you think it would do better, sales-wise?
- What were some of the challenges with working with the Infinity Engine in such a story-driven game?
- Why did you decide to set the story centered in the city of Sigil, and do you think the setting should be explored more?
- Was there anything that you wish you could've added that you didn't have the time or funds for?
- Why do you think the game didn't succeed as well as it could've?
- What was your favourite line of dialogue or quote from the game?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Having 'no plans' to bring the games does not mean they won't, it simply means that either they don't want to confirm the fact or that they haven't even started planning for it. Atlus, for example, said the same thing about localizing their game Catherine, I think less than a weeks before they announced that they'd be localizing it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Levantine posted:

Problem with this is the lifespan of the Wii has a hard limit on it now thanks to the Wii-U. To have no plans at this stage doesn't really bode well this late in the lifespan. Yeah, they could make plans but I'm not sure they feel it's cost effective.

They basically made two announcements on this after the clamor for the games: "Thanks for the interest, look forward to our next announcement" and then "Thanks for the interest but no plans to bring it out". I figure if they were interested they would have announced plans as their second announcement rather than "Don't hold your breath".

At the same time, the Wii U is almost definitely going to be backwards compatible (have they announced anything like that yet? I don't remember).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A shrubbery! posted:

What does electronically signed mean?

I assume this means he hasn't put pen to the poster. It might mean they just print his signature, onto them.

Edit: Dang it now I want this game and its Collector's Edition. Curse you all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Homebrewing a Wii is pretty easy these days, look for the megathread here on the forums.

The Dolphin emulator is probably a viable alternative as well.

It doesn't really make much sense to me either. Of all the systems to do that with, they decide to do this with the system that's incredibly susceptible to importing/piracy. I can't believe I just said susceptible and importing in the same sentence; region locking is some incredibly dumb stuff.

Region-locking is grade-A retarded. Though that does remind me, would I be able to play a Japanese DS game (not 3DS, regular DS) on my region-locked-to-the-west 3DS? Did the regular DS cartridges have any region info on them at all?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Polite Tim posted:

Resonance of Fate was pretty good about not throwing out permanently missable quests, everything's done on a chapter by chapter basis and it tells you if there is anything unfinished before you complete a chapter. (SEGA published too)

It also has no plot, but that's neither here not there

Oh there's a plot. It's just nigh incomprehensible and your characters are only actually part of it for the final couple chapters of the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah, did Gothic 3 / Forsaken Gods ever get fixed to the point of playability? I remember trying it when it first came out and there were...problems.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

I was never a big fan of DQ but Dragon Quest V is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I'm playing through that right now, only about 15 minutes in, so I'm looking forward to that. It's mostly to get to the class system of VI, though.

I am gay for class systems, apparently.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Troffen posted:

Yeah, if you can look past the goofy-rear end presentation, X-2 is honestly one of the more entertaining FFs. The job system is fun as hell.

And the battles are so much goddamn fun. It's the best battle system in any FF game, in my opinion. Possibly in any JRPG that I've played. It's just so...fast and smooth.

Eternal Sonata is great because I haven't played it, but watched briefly as the girl said "Well I don't want to, but I guess I better finish you off!" before bludgeoning a forest creature to death.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jesto posted:

Given that so many people say this, I wonder how many of them even realize that it wasn't Yuna at the beginning and was instead some horrible woman dressing up as her to ruin her image?

The real Yuna only gives one 'concert' in the game. It isn't to be a Pop Star Princess like Leblanc was trying to make her out to be in the beginning of the game, either. It's a sad little song sang in the Thunder Plains when the people of the world are turning against each other as I recall, that she sings to try and reunite them all.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlQ9_7A-Hc

That doesn't make the gay jpop stuff any better. Whether it's Yuna or that rival or a super demon from across the cosmos, it's still a five-minute intro scene where you watch some sort of jpop concert in a jrpg.

Also the concert she does put on is even worse.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jesto posted:

Care to explain why you think that? Fake concert has no plot relevance and is generic bouncy jpop. Real concert directly ties up a few plot threads, is actually kind of sad and manages to be coherent with it's lyrics and is one of the most serious moments in the entire game.

I think it's the fact that they're trying to be serious with that stuff that makes it worse. The intro concert is just some silly thing that has the characters swing in like Charlie's Angels and beat the poo poo out of some goons while the unifying concert is the writers thinking that what they're doing is Serious Stuff with characterization. All the goofy stuff in that game was so much better than the actual plot where they tried to make an FF story out of three girls looking for a guy who's dead/vanished/nodreamy.

Everything related to combat in that game was so much fun, I don't know why they had to throw in such a chintzy girl power storyline.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's the Extreme Volleyball of the Final Fantasy series.

Yes, if the Extreme Volleyball games had really excellent beach volleyball which, judging by about half an hour of playtime, they do not.

Now you've got in my head a deep volleyball game with role-playing elements and over-the-top moves, levelling up, skill points, etc.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

rodbeard posted:

I don't know why everyone is so mad at FFX-2. Square was pretty honest about what the game was when they advertised it. They even used the opening cutscene as the trailer for the game. I don't think anyone accidentally bought it expecting it to be something else.

I wouldn't say I'm mad or anything, I borrowed it from a friend years after it came out. I'm just disappointed because they've got some really excellent mechanics in there, buried under a pile of very unappealing crap. I'll play through it, but a lot of people will dismiss it and think I'm weird when I say it's actually a very fun game.

rodbeard posted:

I'm a sucker for RPG's with job systems though.

:hfive:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pretty sure the game just handwaves it away with something like "It creates waves through all of time when something is changed." I was pretty disappointed with it as a whole.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

But then out of battle, why the gently caress cant I assign poo poo to my soldiers. Youre telling me I cant order people to requisition stuff out of the army stockpile. Take those loving bear asses you idiots.

Taking a bear rear end should be a decision that a soldier makes, not his commander. Those bear asses will change your life.

(It is dumb.)

Is this the game where you play a flute to reveal hidden areas, or is the Infinite Undiscovery? I remember playing one of them at a media event.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Vrikkian posted:

Speaking of great games, and I know it's been spoken about before (and is subsequently pretty well known by goons), but Terranigma is seriously one of the greatest RGPs ever made. Because the US never got it I will always hate Europe and petition that we don't help out when World War III starts.

Is it? I played it a while back and got pretty bored with it. I assume that it gets better after the series of dungeons where you're...I don't quite remember...returning the continents to the Earth?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Allarion posted:

Terranigma has a pretty unique plot with some interesting twists and turns. Also a pretty solid action rpg. But yeah, you start out restoring the continents, but then you end up evolving life and developing the human race, helping out Columbus, and Edison, and other events. I also enjoyed the main character's plot as well, so yeah, opens up once you get out of reverse Earth.

Welp. Looks like I'm going back to play a game from 16 years ago.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

Status effects that actually work on almost everything and are worthwhile (and even necessary sometimes!) I always hated playing Final Fantasy games and having a bunch of status effects that never worked on bosses, and the regular trash enemies they DID work on could be killed easily enough to not have to bother doing anything but mashing normal attacks.

The only status effect I remember is disease. gently caress disease. Stupid goddamn affliction.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, it's hard to believe that came out in 97. Way ahead of its time and on the wrong system.

I'm playing it now and it's...okay? I'm not sure what blew people away.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

casual poster posted:

Holy crap, amazon is offering some awesome deals on portable RPGs this week:

Y'all need to buy The World Ends With You. I can't believe that's even available for purchase.

Also, Amazon.ca, why don't you ever have cool deals like this?

:sigh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hey, so anyone looking forward to the new Rune Factory game: it's got a September 27th release date, for the Wii and PS3. I'm sort of looking forward to it, though I've got such a backlog of games that it's questionable when I'll actually be able to pick it up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

casual poster posted:

So I've been ignoring news on Grand Knights History, but these two trailers sold me: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/26/a-much-meatier-pair-of-trailers-for-grand-knights-history/

Battle system looks awesome, graphics look amazing.

Too bad there's no news of a english translation :(

Aw nuts, PSP.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

When I first played FFT, I loved the art, the story, and the numbers-go-up aspects of it. For some reason I really like the job system at the beginning of the game more than at the end, perhaps because it's more simple and you're not dealing with a bunch of extra story characters in your party.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ulio posted:

Framerate drops in the 360 but I heard the same about the PS3 version, sad to see this since DS never had that issue.

What? Yeah it did, all the time. It's more prevalent in Dark Souls because the areas are larger, but framerate was definitely an irritant in Demon's Souls.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I beat the entirety of FFXII, and I don't remember the plot at all. Something about magic ghosts controlling things? Eschewing destiny? No idea.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So far I've only seen the Dragon Quest series pull the fact that extra party members may not be able to all fight at once, but if the main party goes down, they can jump in and fight. Saved my rear end on the final boss fight in DQ5.

Oh, and Final Fantasy XII.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kathandrion posted:

Are there ANY wrpgs for playstation or super nintendo?

I want to be able to pick the main character's class and I'm looking for something very numbers based, like a dnd game.

I've played pretty much all the classic jrpgs (final fantasies 6-9 and tactics, chrono trigger and cross, etc), and I'm really jonesing for more customization.

This is for me to play on my phone, if that matters.

Well, there's the Eye of the Beholder series on the SNES. Shadowrun, too. Front Mission might qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

Ugh, that sounds complicated as hell. Couldn't I just buy a European Wii?

Well, yes, if you're willing to overlook the fact that your paying an extra couple hundred dollars for convenience. Plus I'm not sure how power works (would you need a transformer, or could you just use an american power cord and be just fine?)