Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Xenix posted:

I ought to try playing it again and see if I can actually get through it. I was surprised to learn there is a second out for PS2 and a third coming out for PS3.

The second Ar tonelico game has a pretty good battle system that's more than just choosing things from a menu. It's probably the best thing about the game. The third tries to be like Tales with an action-type battle system. I didn't like it much since your physical attackers do 10 damage per hit and there's no variety in the magic to justify having to sit through it every battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

casual poster posted:

I think I may also be interested in the Ar tonelico series.
My adventure into the Atelier series didn't go so well, mostly because I had no clue what I was doing. I bet if I started with a easier one I would do better and get into it more.

The Atelier Iris and Mana Khemia games keep the item crafting as part of the plot, but are more "traditional" sorts of RPGs with more focus on battle and adventure. Ar tonelico's a different series by the same company, so there's some item crafting but it's not plot-important stuff.

Really the major problem with any of Gust's games, but especially Ar tonelico, is the amount of Japan in them.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm a guide addict to the point where I can't play stuff like Super Mario Bros. or Harvest Moon without a guide. At least the internet has saved me a lot of money, the only paper guides I get now are the free ones they send you when you resubscribe to Nintendo Power or something.

quote:

I'm actually going to have to make a Suikoden III decision soon. I've beaten S1 and got pretty far in S2 (I need to start over so I can get all 108 stars), but I've heard enough musings of mediocrity regarding S3 that I'm wondering if I can just stop after S2. I have enough JRPGs in my queue as it is anyway. Then it's a matter of whether I should give S5 a try I guess.

S3 was my first Suikoden game and I nearly quit it after three chapters of doing the same thing over and over. I hated the characters and the plot seemed to be going nowhere. A friend told me to keep going, and I finally started liking it about 30 hours later. It's a drat long game, my playthrough was around 75 hours. I'd say play S5 first, it's also long (about 60 hours) but it's worth it. Just get past the 10 hour intro.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
NISA had one of their press events today, announcing Atelier Totori (which was a no-brainer for them to release, it was just a question of when) and Cladun 2. Cladun was a fun little roguelike dungeon crawler, if a bit tough at times. At only $20 I'd say to give the first Cladun a shot, but it's PSN only and...yeah. They're also releasing a Bleach game, which got some of their fanboys a bit miffed that their precious company is releasing such a mainstream title.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Ice Blue posted:

Speaking of DS RPGs, anyone know if the Sonic RPG was any good? What about the Valkyrie Profile game?

The Valkyrie Profile game is a strategy RPG, unlike the console games in the series. However, there's little to no grinding since the maps you do for the story are pretty much the only maps in the game. There's maybe one side map per chapter that's optional if you want levels. The standard series battle system is still there and awesome, and it's still tough to get the best ending. I recommend it, I had a ton of fun playing it.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

member001 posted:

I'm stuck looking at my backlog of Eternal Sonata/ToVesperia and FF13!
I can't even begin to calculate how long they will all take. :negative:

I've got Eternal Sonata unstarted, got it as a gift. And four Tales games to finish. Final Fantasies 3, 5, 7, 12, and 13. A ton of Nippon Ichi SRPGs. Every Shin Megami Tensei game on PS2 except P3 and P4. That's just the tip of the list.

I've got an RPG backlog problem.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

what's wrong with you :colbert:

Nothing. I've just already finished Persona 3 (FES edition) and Persona 4.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

The Machine posted:

Any other RPG fans hate that the games in their preferred genre take a minimum of 20-some hours?

I have so many RPGs to play. :gonk:

Same. I've started really liking those 20 to 30 hour games instead of the 50-hour epics. Mostly because I get about 10 hours in and get bored and move on to another game.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Suikoden 4 is awful, easily the worst in the series. I wouldn't ever recommend someone play it once, much less again. I highly doubt there's anything you'll miss if you go straight into Tactics (which, by the way, I haven't heard anything good about either, but you're really into the story, which I totally understand).

Tactics does have a save bonus if you have a clear save of 4 on the memory card. It's a pretty good carryover, too: you DO get to recruit the main character of 4, and he's one of the most powerful units. If you got 108 stars in 4, you can also recruit Snowe, but he's useless.

Suikoden Tactics was the first SRPG that I liked and was able to finish, after utterly sucking at FFT. It exists to fill in plot holes left by 4, but if you haven't played 4 it does fill in the basics of that story, I believe. It certainly redeems the poor good characters who were stuck in Suikoden 4.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Tae posted:

The mechanics in Suikoden Tactics is...interesting, at least.

Although they rank you in battle with secret items hanging as a carrot and characters can die.

Welp. Time to splurge/reset

You eventually get enough characters to use that can't permanently die, and I recommend just sticking with them unless you REALLY like someone. Though permadeath is a Suikoden series staple anyway.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Tae posted:

Goddamn it Rita, why did you loving die to one hit from a bow skeleton? That brought out my twitch reset response. Suikoden Tactics doesn't need 108, right?

edit: Also, the biggest complaint right now is that some retard decided to keep Kyril's voice actress when he's a kid to do his voice as a young man.

...in the same tone.

why

There's less than 108 characters to get, around 60. One of them can only be recruited on NG+. I don't think there's any ending changes if you get all the characters or do all the missions, I know I missed some in my run.

And Kyril's VA can only do one voice anyway.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

MelvinTheJerk posted:

So if you've played this game before you probably remember how great the combat was. Go play it again. It's even better than you remember.

If you haven't played this game before, get it. Just get it.

I got to right before chapter 3 back when the game came out, and learned that there were still new mechanics to learn, and stopped playing. Plus the guide I was using was rewritten and changed a lot of strategies for parts I had already been through, like with what characters to pick from those dead bodies. I never really liked the battle system, it was such a bitch to get the correct item drops. Loved the first and the DS SRPG, though.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Is it just me or did GameStop push Atelier Totori's release date back until Friday during the day today? The heck?

There was a kerfluffle with the manufacturer and distribution warehouse that's making it ship late. I know the NISA store is supposed to ship them out at the end of this week or so.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I have not played an Atelier game since the first Atelier Iris. Now, it was a lovely game as a whole, but the most fun part was working in the item shops and messing around with item creation in general. The reason I never bothered with the sequels was because I heard that they decided to emphasize the combat over the item creation.

So, yeah, if I liked the item creation of that game, will I like Totori?

The Iris subseries (and to an extent, Mana Khemia as well) was Gust's attempt at making a more traditional RPG style of Atelier game, since the other PS2 games preceding them didn't sell very well. Plus I believe they wanted to get someone releasing their games in the Western market and what American in their right mind would like a game where you play as a girl who makes items?! Iris 2 is the best out of the three Iris games, it's the best balanced.

Also it's interesting to see similarities between their different PS2 games. Iris 1 is a prototype of Iris 2, which had some elements moved into Ar tonelico. Likewise, Mana Khemia took a lot from Iris 3.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
My issue with Totori is how drat hard it is compared to Rorona to get a normal ending. You should just be able to play through a game normally (like in Rorona, passing all the assignments) to get a decent ending, instead of doing all this "rank up by this date", "trigger this", "make this item" bullshit.

I'm at Year 4 Month 8 and am starting to feel really crunched for time to finish making the ship. I need to rank to Cobalt to get all the items, but my adventuring level is too low to finish the harder areas. I can't get better equipment because I can't go to areas to get better materials. I wished I had waited until walkthroughs were out to start playing.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
From a couple pages back, but I ended up locking the normal ending for Atelier Totori with about 8 months to spare. Thought I wouldn't be able to when I encountered the (boss spoiler) Flauschtraut but got lucky on my second try. Also, lots of the second level lightning bomb. Spending the rest of the game synthing the best equipment I can since that carries over into NG+, and I'll probably go through it again someday.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Can someone recommend me some good DS RPGs?

Agreeing with OneDeadman about Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume if you haven't played that one. I also enjoyed Magical Starsign a good deal, though it's a bit standard in mechanics and not a strategy RPG.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

If somebody doesn't mind spoilering it. What IS the requirements for the normal ending for Atelier Totori? I'm pretty far into the game (Year 5) now and I just want to know if I possibly already blew past it.

Basically, find out what happened to Totori's mother before Year 6 Month 6: Get Diamond Rank before Year 4 Month 6 to keep the game going two more years (you did this). After a bunch of scenes in Alanya, Totori's father will ask you to build a ship. Build it (you need Cobalt rank to get a couple of the ingredients), and then sail out east. When you reach the snowy village, there's a bunch of scenes, you get a gold trophy. Go back to Alanya for some more scenes, and you'll have normal ending locked.

The trophy guide goes into more detail, with trophy names that spoil some events of course.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also do you need cobalt for the boat? I could swear I got it ready at diamond rank. What ingredients need cobalt?

The guide I followed said Shining Saucers were only found in Cobalt areas, but they're actually not. You can get them in a Diamond area. Though if you were like me and horribly underleveled and underequipped, nearly every area was a pain to get materials from. I got lucky fighting the normal end boss and squeaked by with everyone in single digit HP at the end.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

GreatRedSpirit posted:

On this note iirc you shouldn't send up Lorenta: You can send her but she won't rejoin in any of the ending paths or in the bonus dungeon. She'll just be gone permanently. Not that she's a big loss :v:

Actually, that's Lyseria, not Lorenta.

I kind of wish the mages in VP were separated more, instead of them all being pretty much alike other than what skills they start with.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

nene. posted:

Googling is useless for this as far as I've tried, but what rpgs out there have big huge epic towers? Like the ones in FFXII and Skyrim, or even as the setting of the entire game. I love towers.

The Ar tonelico series takes place on various giant towers/tower-like structures in its world, though that in itself doesn't make them really worth playing.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Rascyc posted:

What's the challenge level on this game? I've never tried an Atelier game but the graphic style and characters have me interested. A handful of generic reviews on metascore basically just have an "Extremely Easy" label on it with no elaboration.

If you do get it, be careful about ranking up too fast, since then the quests you get to kill enemies will be nearly impossible and you're stuck doing alchemy to get money, which further skews your levels. It's very easy to become a thin glass cannon.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

e: Anything about the quality of Altier Totori would be nice as well.

Totori is a very good. The basis of the Atelier series is to craft items to reach various goals throughout the story. So you would go adventuring to get ingredients and fight monsters, come back to your workshop and make items, and then hand in those items for quests (or use them in adventuring).

Someone else could probably explain it better since it's a game where I typically turn my brain off and just do things.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I know the swimsuit contest is entirely skippable if you're not bothering with the True ending/getting all events. I forget if the tentacle thing is part of the Normal ending (which is a bitch to get in Totori, it requires a lot of time and probably a guide).

This is why I've mashed through most of the random scenes in Atelier Meruru. Doesn't help that they de-aged Rorona in that, which was a company decision of not wanting to see their precious heroine be over 30. Though there's a good number of older characters, except the one lady keeps complaining about how old she is. It's also hard to ignore some of the...animation details they've put into certain characters (drat Pamela, you used to be kind of cool)

Overall, at least it's not like Ar tonelico 3 :v:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

softcorps posted:

Speaking of Growlanser -- Damnit, why does Remus look like such a drat girl. "Oh hey she's kinda cu... poo poo." I mean, what the hell is he even wearing? And on top of that, he's an archer, and I really liked having Charlone with a range mod in Growlanser 2 (so exploitable!). She may have been a bit annoying at times but I didn't mind her otherwise. Remus is a wimp AND he's wearing stockings.

The character designs after Growlanser III went off the rails and never got back on. Remus and Regina really annoy me design-wise.

And I always preferred breaking Hans in GL2 over Charlone. He's faster and with some strength up gems can deal just as much damage per hit.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

WYA posted:

I'm also trying to get into Lunar: Dragon Song. It won't let me get both exp and gold at the same time? Another bug?

I call this game Dragon poo poo for a reason, and that's one of them. Also enemies don't actually drop gold, they just drop items. You have to do those delivery quest things (remember you're actually a delivery boy) to get money. Over and over and over, because the one thing it did take from other Lunar games is that poo poo's really expensive. The "running drains your HP" thing is really only an issue at the start of the game, but it's still a horrible decision.

If you're going to trudge through it, I can give you some tips to make it 1% less painful.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I knew it was happening but I never kept up with it because I knew it was happening a decade ago with little and less being said about it.

I will also get to it... one day. I prefer Melody of Elemia over it even if 2 is the better game.

It didn’t help that dev updates etc. jumped from one message board to another and the dev blog wasn’t really updated until release, I think? I worked on the darn thing at the very beginning (did some image editing) and I’m only getting around to trying it out now.
I’m nostalgic for AT1 even though AT2 outclasses it ten times over in terms of both story and gameplay. AT3 wraps up the overall story nicely but itself is pretty meh, especially that battle system.

I recently finished Ar nosurge and thought that plot got super interesting and good about halfway through, and then it trundled along to the conclusion, with a final boss fight that included a stupid mechanic.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I made the mistake(?) of playing Suikoden 3 first so all the good plot points that connected to other games made no sense to me, and it’s a real long slog to get to the meat of the story (probably 30 hours out of the 75 total it took me). Luckily the other games, except 4 of course, are good.

Tierkreis is a bad Suikoden but a decent RPG, at least it was at launch - there’s enough other stuff out now that it probably loses that distinction too.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I found the giant maps in Firis interesting and a nice change from the usual small maps that Atelier games have...until I had to backtrack places and then it got annoying. Also the goals in postgame can be hard to trigger or figure out how to start. I rushed the one to get the airship and finished the game with the plotline about your older sister

Haven’t heard much on how the following game is but I preordered it for Switch.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

i cant believe it had been more than 10 years and there havent been a game that was as fun of a battle system as mana khemia

I guess that one was okay, but I preferred Ar tonelico 2's system. It needs a current gen port so all the lag is removed and it becomes even better, though.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I already got the LE of the Switch version preordered, and Atelier is my Ganon chocolate, so the lack of dub is just a disappointment.

It only recently came out in Japan so maybe the turnaround time is why there’s no dub, usually there’s a longer time between the region releases.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Plus didn't both of those get delayed? They may never happen at all.

I think Marie Plus just came out on the Android/iOS stores. If not, it’ll be soon since Atelier Quest Board (the giant crossover mobile game) is doing an event for the release right now.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

4 is bad. Real bad. Travel on the ocean is loving torture and I'm pretty sure Viki (and fast travel) is completely out of the way and also late in the game.

She’s not as late as she is in 3, I’d say it’s about halfway through? And 4 is only about 35 hours.

Not that I’m defending 4 as a good game here, it’s definitely the weakest of the main six (counting Tactics in here) and the only reason to play it is to get a save file with all 108 stars recruited to transfer to Tactics.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
JRPG allergy to ages makes things like Atelier Meruru de-aging Rorona into a child because she would've been over 30 otherwise happen

Of course they had two other characters who were around 40 in that, and one that was in his 60s I think. But one was a running joke of "woman who never got married" and the others were basically grizzled old man warriors.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Libluini posted:

I remember a game called Rhapsody. Something about puppets and music? I think they remade it for the DS, because the PSX-version is apparently hard to get. It's easy and charming.

Rhapsody is an SRPG only in the sense that it has a grid-based battle system, and only in the PS1 version. The DS is straight turn-based. Definitely easy and charming, though.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
At least by the time Growlanser Generations came out, they weren't upping the difficulty or making other arbitrary changes. Plus those localizations aren't too bad in terms of dumb lines. Of course, that was also their last release...

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Verranicus posted:

EDIT: Unrelated, but how easy are the Sakura Taisen games to get into?

There’s translation guides on GFAQS for at least the first two games, I used them when going through the PSP port. Got me the ending I wanted both times. So unless you want to guess at answers, you either need to read Japanese decently or use a guide.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Linca's thing is explained between Eschalogy and Shallie, though it's in Shallie where the subplot is resolved.

I never really realized the first Linca was written differently due to translation between Ayesha and Eschalogy, maybe because she was still hanging on to Marion and had all the personality quirks that I knew it was the same one. I remember being disappointed the Shallie one is different (and just an NPC).

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm approaching the end of Atelier Shallie and I'm not Atelier-ed out yet, so, after as a suitable break to avoid burnout I'm gonna play another one. Arland is coming to Switch in December so those are off the table, no reason to play them early. So my options are:

Escha & Logy is one of the best games so if you feel like replaying, it is a strong choice.

Mana Khemia is like the Iris games where it is a more standard JRPG with a crafting/gathering system tacked on.

Pre-Iris, there is nothing officially translated, but I know there’s a fan translation of Atelier Marie + Elie (PS2 remaster of the first two PS1 games). Quality is probably good, I have not played it. It was translated by one of the people who worked on the Ar tonelico 2 retranslation.

Firis is not horrible but by the end I was definitely just gunning for the easiest character ending to end the game, I did not really care about any of the new cast.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I've found them to be standard for JRPGs, same cast of VAs heard in every other game, not super emotive but enough to get things across, maybe some bad direction choices here and there. I skip through most voices dialogue because I read faster than they talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
For some reason the first Digimon World game is rated T, and that almost made my mom not get it for me because I was 11. She gave in when I reminded her that we watched the tv show together a couple times. I think the worst thing they do in that game is poop. Best Digimon World game out of the PS1 set.