Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Crap, I was gonna make this thread whenever YCS inevitably gets deleted because jrpg talk is basically half that forum.

Anyone play Atelier Rorona? I was gonna pick it up but watching videos the overly long attack animations sorta killed it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Well, the closest I can think of then is Alpha Protocol. It's probably not really what you're thinking of, but I seriously can't think of another RPG/RPG-like game set in modern day that doesn't have sci-fi, fantasy or horror elements to it.

Parasite Eve still works but it has that awful PSX era Bad Feeling to it, the early 3d games are really hard to go back to and play.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Recently Wizardry-type RPGs have been the ones interesting me the most. I'm almost finished with Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and I also just discovered Doom 2 RPG on my iphone. And of course, Etrian Odyssey 3 just came out if those two run out of stuff for me.

The latest wizardry game (8? or 7?) got on my nerves so hardcore due to the constant random encounters

I was so happy to pull into town after the tutorial dungeon + stroll to a safe haven and what do i see? Gigantic groups of bandits and raiders roaming around as I go from place to place.

The game scales with level and repopulates monsters immediately so you cant even clear out a town and enjoy yourself, after dispatching the raiders you have to start slogging through androids and poo poo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I mentioned it once already but nobody bit, has anyone played Atelier Rorona? I was considering starting a megathread for it but I really know nothing about the game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive tried to get into games like Clouds of Xeen and Wiz 5 and 6 but I dunno, I dont have enough of a Nostalgic Link to those games to be able to power through.

I really wanted to like Wiz 8 but the nonstop combat killed that game for me.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CommissarMega posted:

poo poo, where's SCF when you need him/her?

SCF's being a Grade A FuckShit and not making a sweet rear end RPG for his next game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BadAstronaut posted:

Just a quick question from someone who doesn't have a clue: are those RPG Maker games completely free, legal to install as executables without requiring anything else to be on the system first? (ie, you don't need RPG Maker or anything else to be installed already?)

You gotta do a decent amount of finagaling to get the wierd font he uses to work, but aside from that its completly free.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

SaGa Frontier 2 didnt really do it for me, you barely got to use Gustave, his parts of the game were all story. The visuals were pretty as hell but the game itself was pretty bland and I never even finished it.

A total disappointment, especially since SaGa Frontier blew me away.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

jerkstore77 posted:

Earthbound is the best rpg.

Behhhhhhh it had a lot of good ideas but I didnt like the game it was packaged up in.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is Ar Tonelcio Qoga as crappy as it looks?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Zereth posted:

Is that the one where the girls taking off clothes mid-battle is a game mechanic?

Isnt that The Third Birthday?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ar Tonelico 3 wasnt as awful as yall said it would be. I mean, it was bad, but it could have been a lot worse (Note: I have a high tolerance for japanese bullshit)

Anyway, whats good on the PSP? I picked one up a few months ago and with the store on the verge of coming back I might download a few games. Not really looking for a strategy rpg, more looking for jrpg kinda games.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The fact that the characters wouldnt take items out of my inventory to upgrade thier weapons bothered the hell out of me. I was enjoying the game until I realized that too, but the weight of all the other design decisions in TLR that I didnt like just came to a head when I couldnt give anyone all the Bear Asses they needed out of my huge stockpile of useless monster parts.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I dont get the point of making everything so esoteric and silly, then. I realize that they might want to limit your options in battle to mimic what being a commander is like, your units make thier own decisions outside of your own general orders and do thier best to fulfill them. Ok, even though I dont agree with it (why take gameplay options away from the player?) at least it makes sense within the framework of what theyre trying to achive, Rush is the only character you fully control.

But then out of battle, why the gently caress cant I assign poo poo to my soldiers. Youre telling me I cant order people to requisition stuff out of the army stockpile. Take those loving bear asses you idiots.

People in Square Enix literally sat around a big office table and conciously made the design descision to strip as much decision making and player agency out of thier game as possible. Its infuriating.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is Unlimited SaGa worth playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

credburn posted:

I just got Grand Kingdom. It's not really my thing...it's really, really, really anime and it hurts my gai-jin eyes to stare at it too long. Or listen to it. Fortunately, you can switch it to the Japanese tracks. It's weird how the same annoying vacillations in voice work aren't quite as annoying when in a language you don't know.

Anyway, I bring it up because it's bizarrely similar to Darkest Dungeon. So much so that I want to say one copied the other but it looks like they were both released around the same time (at least, close enough to each other that there's no room to start production on a new game and have it ready.)

1. Both games feature a unique sort of side-scrolling perspective in which the units have to move around between one another to effectively attack the enemy, and one's position in the team adds or subtracts a lot of bonuses.

2. Both games have a sort of recruitment office after every dungeon run.

3. In both games, the "characters" are just classes. You have the Fighter, the Knight, the Vestal, the Plague Doctor. Uh, Grand Kingdom does have a few named characters, but not many.

4. In both games, travel is done via squares visible on a map whilst on the bottom part of the screen you see the party walking like in a sidescroller. It looks identical but for graphics.

Anyway, I haven't played much of it, but maybe I'll get into it. I just wanted to ask if I'm alone in seeing the similarities. Am I reaching?

Youre totally reaching. 2 and 3 are super common and any class based game with generic party units would tick those boxes.

4 is just a stylistic choice, gridding off rooms and side scrolling characters have been staples of videogames for decades.