Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

TheOriginalEd posted:

Jeanne d'arc was a great little strategy title for the psp that was underacclaimed.

I can agree with that--it's a game I picked up on a whim and found myself drawn into, at least until FFXIII came out and I focused on beating that during some time off from work.

It's an admittedly different look at the Joan of Arc legend, and I think they didn't do too badly in converting it over. I'd love to go back and work some more on it, but my PSP has decided to go missing on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Jadz posted:

My favorite Final Fantasy game still is, and will likely always be, FF3 on the SNES. A huge world with tons of optional side stuff waiting to be explored, some of the deepest and most interesting characters in any game, a fantastic storyline, a genuinely interesting setting and a bunch of cool optional (and some hidden) characters.

When I first played it, I probably dumped more than twenty hours into that game, thinking I'd finally gotten to the end and was about to beat it. Then the world ends, and you play a whole new game for at least another good twenty hours!

It really is a fantastic game. The only other game that still holds a candle to it is Chrono Trigger. A fun story with likeable characters, time-travelling mechanics that actually make meaningful changes in different eras depending on what you do and can give you any one of about a dozen different endings, some of the best music of any 16-bit era RPG, and lots of side stuff to be found through exploration.

I still play through both of these games like once every couple years :allears:

With the exception of the first paragraph (I actually liked the change of pace that XII's combat system brought, especially since you could set up your own gambits), I agree with the poster above. FF3/FF6 gets a playthrough a year, Chrono Trigger about every eighteen months (though with the DS remake, that might become a yearly thing until/if FF6DS is released).

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hrm...I did like 10 of these sidequests (there's 60 of them? not loving bothering till I get a chocobo to roam around that's for sure) in FF13's chapter 11 but I think I'm ready to move on.

Can I complete them after beating the game? (if I even care that much)

Since no one else picked up on this....

Yes, after you beat the final boss you can resume the game from Pulse, and finish side-quests/leveling in the Crystarium/achievement hunting/etc.

On my copy I've put in about 15 hours since beating the game working on powering up my weapons to take out a Long Gui without spamming Death with Vanille. No luck yet (also haven't played it in a few months), but it's on my backlog of things to do with it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

SpaceDrake posted:

The Dogi shirt is incredible and I own it already.

More importantly, though, loving RUNE FACTORY FRONTIER. And money that'll go STRAIGHT to the devs and publisher! GET ON THAT poo poo, GOONS. I have a suspicion that'll sell out really fast at that price.

Oh, poo poo, I'm going to have to seriously consider donating a kidney to science or something to get money for this. (Given that I've played all three RF games on the DS, anyway....)

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

The Black Stones posted:

That's pretty much all you needed to say.

Having played both games, I prefer FF13 far more to Star Ocean: TLH. Yeah, 13 was too linear, but I actually preferred the combat to TLH. Perhaps that's just me, though.

Though the list of things wrong with TLH is something I can agree with (especially Lymle), and the plot seems a bit "meh" in my opinion.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

DeathBySpoon posted:

I know I'm late to the game here, but I just got a PSP the other day and as such have a huge backlog of games to play now. I got FFT and Jeanne D'Arc and played each for about an hour or so- FFT feels really clunky but I like the plot, and Jeanne D'Arc is just fantastic in every aspect so far. FFT is also kind of hard to look at because the text is really blurry and it looks like it doesn't run at the PSP's native res, but I'm not sure. What's everyone's thoughts on these two games and what other RPGs should I look for? Not specifically SRPGs, I'm up for pretty much everything. A western RPG or two would be nice as well.

Cannot recommend Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together enough. Both are quite good and should work well for you.

While I am a fan of FF4, I'm not sure I can recommend the PSP port. The original game is ported over rather well, but I'm not entirely sold on the After Years content. If it's something you wanted to try, though, you could certainly do worse.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

pw pw pw posted:

I did see a used Revenant Wings... Was that game any good? Would it be lost on me without having played through ffXII?

Do yourself a favor and skip it. I'll cop to being a huge fan of just about anything Final Fantasy and I just could not get into this game for anything. If it played fore like a FFT game I'd be more lenient on it, but as it stands, it's not really worth your time or money.

Just my opinion.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (port of the original Valkyrie Profile on PS1) would be good to pick up.

The aforementioned Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is also worth it. In the same vein, I'd also recommend Jeanne D'Arc and Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (ported and retranslated FF Tactics). Note that load times may become a problem.

May also consider the first two Star Ocean games as well, though I'm basing that off of the console version of Star Ocean: The Second Story.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I just got ROF and can confirm you can set your difficulty at the start of the game.

Only on Chapter 3 but still getting the hang of the combat system.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

BadAstronaut posted:

Thank you. Seeing as I won't have the time to play both, which would you recommend I go with: the GBC release or a translated SNES ROM hack?

SNES, hands down. This coming from someone who owned the GBC version.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey, my memory is a little fuzzy here, but what games had the main enemy as your brother or childhood best friend, and this was the big reveal at the end? I know Baldur's Gate played on this, but for some reason I'm thinking Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic did too. Were there any Dungeons and Dragons games where this was the case, or anything in the Final Fantasy series?

Final Fantasy II comes to mind. FF IV to a limited scope (Cecil/Golbez) as well.

Edit: vv Fair point. Then again, I've tried to forget a lot of FFIV because of The After Years. vv

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 11, 2013

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I’m waiting somewhat impatiently for Tactics Ogre: Reborn. I got all achievements earlier this year for Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark, which is the closest to Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics I’ve come across in years, and it gets a nod of approval from me for anyone looking for a FFT would-be in the lead up to TO:R. The DLC expansion for Fell Seal allows for monsters to have different variants/classes as well, with a main and sub-job like human units can have which really sat well with me when I played through.

I’m hesitant to get deep into a honest attempt to beat FFT—my last one on original hardware got lost in early chapter 4 due to memory card issues—or even to hook up my Vita TV for Let Us Cling Together or Jeanne d’Arc with the aforementioned TO:R being under a month away. I intend to put a large number of hours into Reborn given my relative lack of disposable income for gaming, and I don’t want to burn myself out on the genre knowing how much content is coming in four weeks in a single game.

In non-SRPG news, I’m slightly disappointed in Valkyrie Elysium, as it’s not nearly as RPG as I’d have hoped given the other three games in the series. Personal opinion, it feels like the writing isn’t as decent in this as in Lenneth/Silmeria, or even Covenant of the Plume (though that could be debated). Maybe I should give the second Voice of Cards game a go; if it’s similar to the first one that will be a nice filler before I lose far too much time to Denam and the Walister struggles.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Thank you for this. I’d seen the RPS article but not the other videos. I now know what I’m watching after work!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

that's why you always give the protagonist an awkward title like Champion of Turdland or Fleshy One

Commander Shepard would like a word.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Zurai posted:

Fell Seal is on sale on Steam for $7.50 right now. It's gotten reasonable reviews and gets compared to Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre, so it seems like a decent pickup for the price. Of course, the Tactics Ogre remake is coming in a couple of weeks, which is probably why they're putting it on sale now.

This is a drat good price for this game, in my opinion (see also a few pages back where I suggested it for anyone wanting to get ready for Tactics Ogre: Reborn).

Delsaber posted:

I will say that I found the combat kinda oddly sluggish until I fiddled with the dozen+ speed and difficulty sliders, which thankfully you can do at any time. On the defaults every motion felt twice as long as it should be and every enemy is a damage sponge.

The speed part of this quote is also accurate. I played at 1.5x speed the majority of the time so that’s one thing to also consider.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

WaltherFeng posted:

Dropped Valkyrie Elysium around chapter 6 because the game is pretty much a whole lot of nothing and the combat itself isn't quite good enough to carry the whole game.

Apparently they are making a story dlc where you can play as the other Valkyrie which does seem interesting, since it's probably short enough so I can actually finish it.

That’s pretty much where I dropped it, too.

First I’ve heard about any potential DLC though.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

So I guess the fortune teller's right...

You don’t have to sound so torn about it. :cheeky:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Welp, I’ve added Troubleshooter to the wishlist, thanks y’all for discussing it here and bringing my attention to it. Need to see if my low-end rig at home can run it given it’s an i5-2400, and it needs an i3-33xx or something. And also that whole pesky “this requires money” thing.

This may be what follows Tactics Ogre when I’m done with that, if the machine can run it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Stop, game devs, my wallet is already empty and you’re putting more stuff I want into the world! :cry:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Srice posted:

If you're a coach then football is basically a SRPG

You’ve just described Football, Tactics, and Glory.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Tactics Ogre Reborn infinite money: At the start of ch3, you can buy the Ranged Weapons 2 recipe from the shop. This let's you craft the Baldur Blow Gun. It takes 2450 goth to craft. It sells for 6400 goth. :homebrew:

There’s a slightly slower method but it can be done in Chapter 2 after getting Ways of the Gerges, if you wanted it earlier.

Mutedart Blowgun: 2270 to craft, sells for 4100. A full stack of 999 nets you about 1.8 million goth in profit.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

MechaX posted:

oh yeah hold on, why isn't there a binary domain 2 anyway

Probably because “2” isn’t a thing in binary.

You’d want Binary Domain 10 instead.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Arzaac posted:

God I'm not thinking about the games coming out next year, I'm still dealing with all the games released this year

Squeenix really dumped a whole truckload of remakes and remasters and I'm intent on playing so many of them. Front Mission, Live a Live, Tactics Ogre, Minstrel Song, just so much goddamn game and I've barely started

I feel this. Tactics Ogre is going to take me until the New Year to platinum (thanks to work killing my brain and ruining my time to play in evenings), then I want to go back to actually get Live a Live and Front Mission 1 remake, and somewhere in there I need to play noted non-RPG God of War Ragnarok…and then RPG-related Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line to tide me over until actual RPG FFXVI.

That basically covers through July and I’m not even sure what else will catch my eye in the interim!

Edit: gently caress, forgot Octopath II was next year! Add that to the list…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

bentacos posted:

Give me Final Fantasy Builders set after 6 where you rebuild the world.

I didn’t know how badly I’d want an idea to come to fruition until I read this.