Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Aight, just making sure we don't go further without seeing Skies of Arcadia

Stop right there.

I wanted to love this game again after not playing it for several years. It's got a great storyline, excellent characters, and a setting that is simply outstanding. I'll definitely give you all of those points.

But the game is so balls-on-a-cheese-grater impossible when it comes to battles. I don't see how I didn't go (more) insane as a result. You have random encounters every five seconds no matter where you go, big actions take way too long to charge up and use unless you're high level, and bosses are always the same level as you. This was okay in Lunar, because your characters were simply stronger through leveling than without anyway, but in Skies of Arcadia it doesn't matter what you do. 85% of bosses after the first third of the game will decimate you, over and over again, until you tear out your hair. Oh, and 50% revival chance with basic revive items and spells? ARGGGGGGH. Prepare to spend eight turns trying to revive the same character who got insta-killed because there's only one item in the whole game that protects against it!

Ship battles were pretty sweet, though. That's what the entire game should've been.

Oh, and whoever is recommending Soul Blazer, Terranigma, and Illusion of Gaia is absolutely right. Play those games.

^^^ Edit: Sheesh, man. Use some [/spoiler] tags for Terranigma. You just gave away the whole plot like it was nothing.

Miketopus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Roasted Donut posted:

If you're getting wrecked by normal bosses in Skies of Arcadia you are doing something horribly wrong. It's one of my favorite, if not my favorite game ever, but it isn't exactly very challenging. And there are spells and items later in the game that are guaranteed revives and jesus your post reads like you really just have no idea how to play the game

I probably just meant the bounty bosses. It's been a while since I picked it back up because of them, so my memory is a mite fuzzy. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime. But you have to admit, they are a pain. And Risan is a spell destined to make you hate yourself and the world until Riselem is accessible.

Mid-post edit: Also, RANDOM ENCOUNTERS. I would have enjoyed this game much more if I didn't fight literally fifty encounters between Sailors Island and Horteka.

Also, Terranigma is pretty much the best of the trio, yeah. Love the soundtrack more than the others, too.

Miketopus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 2, 2010

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

I started playing Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden because of this thread. It is amazing. I think what makes it so drat funny is it takes a ridiculous and stupid premise and just plays it completely straight the whole time and takes itself over-the-top levels of seriously.

Me too. Thinking of doing an LP of it.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Good someone needs to. This game is pure awesome. If you've ever enjoyed any jrpg get your grubby mits on this game now.

Someone started back in Feb, it looks like, but it's abandoned. I just have to beat Bard's Tale before I start another LP.

By the way don't play Bard's Tale.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anyone ever play "Bahamut's Lagoon" on the SNES?

Oh yeah, I played that! It took forever to get translated, but it was a good game. What was the deal with the old guy wearing the purple cocktail dress, though?

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Bean posted:

Is any one else tired of the super super generic RPG? You can usually identify these by the fact that they're sitting in piles at Gamestop. They always have the plucky adventurer on the cover, backed by his pink haired girlfriend healer, and somewhere between three and five other cookie cutter adventurers behind him.

Also: Zelda. RPG or action game?

Action game.

Anyway, it depends. Certain games, like Tales of Phantasia, are traditional SNES RPGs with something about them that's just compelling. I don't even like the other Tales games that much, but Phantasia was fantastic. Maybe because you can tell they were pioneer games. They did what they did, but they also did it first. Terranigma is the same way. I mean, what the hell kind of awesome games involves fighting the goddamn queen of Spain?

Take note, that's how you spoiler something awesome from Terranigma.

But I'm not all into old games. I loved Dragon Quest VIII, for example. It's one of like two Dragon Quest games I've beat legitimately.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

No, Secret of Mana is a lot less deep than any Zelda or Castlevania. It's basically a beat em up with stats.

Correction, my friend. Secret of Mana 1 (Seiken Densetsu 2) for the SNES is less deep. Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3) is easily on equal footing with either Zelda or Castlevania. Legend of Mana, I daresay, is even moreso, although the combat needed work in that one. Everything else about it was fantastic.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Xythar posted:

I liked SD3 a lot (beat it 3 times in fact) but I'm not going to call the combat deep. I got through most of the battles by just holding down whatever button made you auto-attack.

The character selection and class trees are pretty cool though.

When I say "deep" I'm usually referring to the plot, characters, setting, etc.

And by that criteria, I'm of the opinion that it's hard to top Legend of Mana for reasons already covered. And Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3 is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

DO IT TO IT posted:

Speaking of Wild Arms, anyone have tips for me about to start out in Wild Arms 3?

I have three bits of advice for you that may serve you well:

1. Clive is a powerhouse. Give him most of your raw attack boosting stuff. Virginia is pretty good too, but she's more balanced. Jet's quick, but lacks the punch of the other two.

2. Gallows is your best magic user. He's also slower than anything else on the planet. Try to solve this issue.

3. Rename the spells by hand. They sound stupid.

I beat the game, but it was years ago when I did. Sorry I don't remember many specifics beyond that. The GameFAQs docs were fairly spot on, at least.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

al-azad posted:

Any of the Mother games but GRANDIA GRANDIA GRANDIA.

Oh god yes. Grandia original is the best in the series. Don't worry, I played it last year and it was still a blast. Give it another go.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Ankle-biter posted:

I would really like to know if any RPG fans love the obscure SNES game Paladin's Quest. This game was one of the first "one-handed" rpg's. All the battle commands could be done with the D-pad. I loved the game so much because it was in a completely unique world, the entire game was in pastel colors, and magic spells take HP to cast, so HP takes on a whole new meaning. You also have mercs as partners and they never gain exp. You switch partners when they are not useful to you anymore. Such a good game!

Oh yeah, Paladin's Quest. I think it was also called Lennus in Japan. Awesome game. It felt like I was playing some really old but cool 80's anime. Although, mercs do gain experience and level up with your two main characters. It's just that they're usually not as good as the right-away hires in the next town over by the time you get there.

Except the Rav brothers, I think they were called. One of them was consistently fairly good, and the other one sucked until like level 30 or something and then became a powerhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Ideologue posted:

Play Suikoden II. You don't need to play the first one to enjoy it, and it has a story a bit more grounded in reality than most JRPG's that really hooked me.

That is incorrect. Suikoden 2 is much, much better when you played through the first game. True, it's great by itself, but 1 through 3 are really meant to be played consecutively.

After that, it's a crapshoot.