Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The plot is completely awful, especially once you reach the end of disc 1 (360 version, IIRC it's the third planet you visit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html and http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10343547508.html

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

If you double attack has something to do with your Speed stat, it needs to be a certain amount higher than the enemy you're fighting from what I remember.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Amazing.

That's an official image, right? Not a joke you made?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I have one simple question: Why? I can't believe that those are the only games you have that you haven't finished yet.

And even if they are, go out and get some others.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Rascyc pretty much got it. Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are the ones to check out first.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Tales does have pretty good and fun battle systems though, especially the CC-based ones (Destiny PS2 and Graces, which is coming out this March!).

The posted video is... well it's not wrong, you can do that stuff, but he edited out opening the menu every couple Artes to switch his Arte set and equipment. But don't expect every battle to go like that, a lot of the required skills for such combos are gotten fairly late.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

bsnes has the advantage of being completely hardware-accurate though. Here, just look at the comparasion shots: http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy

If your hardware's good enough, bsnes is the way to go for replicating the original hardware experience.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Just ignore the completely nonsensical plot and you'll be fine.

That said, just throwing out random JRPG suggestions here, but Tales of Vesperia is a really good and fun game with a bright, clean and colorful visual style. To add to that, next month, Tales of Graces F (PS3) comes out in America, which also looks quite nice for essentially just being a Wii game.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 23, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I bet you were pissed once she pulled out the spell that insta-kills everyone that's NOT a zombie.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I'd argue that Cross Edge is even worse. Although, to be fair, I haven't played Neptunia.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Volitaire posted:

Maybe I'll just get Valkyria Chronicles instead. Never did get around to checking it out.

FF13-2 is a good game, but this is by far the better choice.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Should have waited until next week anyway, there's supposedly going to be a Final Fantasy series sale.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/12/psn-spring-fever-2012-new-games-discounts-call-of-duty-sale-this-week/

quote:

[...] The other featured franchises will be Final Fantasy and Tom Clancy. We’ll be offering up to 50% off various games, map packs, add-ons and bundled content, with up to 75% discounts awarded to our PS Plus subscribers. Each week, we’ll be revealing the full list of Spring Fever franchise deals in the Store Update blog post every Tuesday, so check back to see what content from your favorite franchises will be discounted.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You're doing it wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RQTB77EMG8Y#t=657s

That is, you probably missed the first Ruby. I did the same thing when I played the game for the first time on the PSP and felt really dumb afterwards.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 20, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I must have missed the updates on the homebrew scene, I thought they figured out how to bypass the version checks now for enabling homebrew.

Yeah, the PS3 homebrew scene is sadly a terrible mess. If we can find a possibility of running the patch/modified game on a firmware past 3.55, we'll be sure to post it along the release of the patch, but don't count on it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Oh come on, how can you go into a battle in P4 and not just sing along? "I reach out to the truth of my life seeking to seize on the whole moment, yeah!"

That said, yeah, more RPGs seriously need more than one regular battle theme. I also love it when there's some area(s) where the area music just keeps on playing throughout the battles.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Well alright.

Since you mentioned Abyss, Tales games usually do a pretty decent job at mixing it up, either changing the battle (and world map!) music through story progress or having different songs for different areas. In Graces, for example, each country gets a separate regular battle theme, which is really appreciated. They also like to have a couple different boss battle themes, like one or two regular ones and then another per significant antagonist or faction. It's nice.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nickoten posted:

I assume it's not a big problem but that's kind of hilarious.

It actually is, because the battle system is unlike anything else and you'll have no loving clue what to do without the tutorials.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

NyaoMyao posted:

Riveria: The Promised Land was good when I played it on the game boy but I don't know how the PSP port holds up.

It's the same thing with better graphics/music quality, voice acting (I liked it but if it really bothers you you can also turn it off), and more save slots.

Though if you're looking into Sting games you might also want to check out Yggdra Union, a really neat twist on the Strategy RPG genre.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

If you spend 15 minutes on a boss battle in FF13(-2) you're doing something wrong, sorry to say.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I only played 1 and half of 2. I mostly played these games for the music but started opting for the soundtracks themselves since the gameplay seem to mostly recycle itself. I hear 3 was a fairly decent departure (was it the action oriented one? Not sure).

Did they hit new creepy heights in 3? I thought the "power up by bathing together!" gimmick in 2 was pretty up there in weirdest things I've seen.

Oh it was a departure alright, but not a good one. They tried to copy the battle system from Tales and failed miserably at it.

And yeah, 3 is definitely the most creepy out of the three.

For the rest of the series, in my opinion, 1 is alright and 2 is legitimately awesome except for one part in chapter 3 or 4.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Not in FFX, nope! Although I hope they add one for the HD remake/port/whatever.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I decided I'm gonna play a standard JRPG on the vita.

Trails in the Sky!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Well maybe if they'd give you the option to actually buy and play the game when you don't have a working twenty year old console still sitting around we'd have less of a reason to attempt to dump it!

Not to mention it would look so much better rendered on a PC directly instead of transferred over lovely analog video signal cables.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

As far as I know no way to skip it, but it does get far less after the start, yes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been playing Persona 3 FES lately and I've been wondering if there are any newer more 'classic' JRPGs in existence. By this I basically mean one with a turn-based battle system. This trend of MMO combat in JRPG games isn't really doing it for me.

You might want to give Radiant Historia on the DS a shot.

There's a lot of PS2 games that probably fit that bill, too, such as the two Mana-Khemias, any of the Atelier Iris games, the first Ar tonelico (though the second one is much much better!), the Shadow Hearts games, the Suikoden games, or the Wild Arms games.

If you want to have a bit more unique but still turn based thing, the PC version of The Last Remnant is fantastic, if a bit obtuse in terms of mechanics.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Levantine posted:

As far as RPGs, Crimson Gem Saga was an interesting entry - it's super pretty but gets a little grindy towards the halfway point.

Everything I heard about it indicates that it's a bad game despite the high production values, so read up on that before actually getting it.

Anyway, recommendations from me:
The Disgaea games are worth a look if you haven't played any of them yet, SRPGs with gameplay mechanics that basically encourage you to break the game. If you like that kinda stuff also look into Phantom Brave.
In the same vein, Zettai Hero Project is a rougelike with Disgaea mechanics.
Half-Minute Hero is a fantastic parody of regular RPGs that cuts everything down to the core mechanics. Really fun, really fast, great tounge-in-cheek dialogue, get this!
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep is, well, a Kingdom Hearts game, but one of the better ones. Action-RPG. Ignore the plot and you'll have fun, since the gameplay mechanics are good.
Trails in the Sky is a incredibly charming "PS1 era" RPG. Takes a bit to get going and is only part 1 of a longer series, but pick it up, it's good.
All STiNG games are worth a look (Riviera, Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare, Gungnir), they're all very unique and usually pretty cool.

Additonally, the Ys games, well Oath in Felghana and Seven anyway. They're more on the action side though.

Other games I haven't played yet that might fit: Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, Fate/Exta, Wild Arms XF.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Pick up Seven, the Chronicles remake still has the "bump into enemies to attack" system so if you didn't like the TG16 version you'll probably not like this one either.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Depending on what model of PSP you grabbed you should get custom firmware.

Incorrect, you should get it regardless of what model your PSP is.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Do not get the FF6 or Chrono Trigger PSX classics, they have terribly long loading times.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Props to S-Alpha for sending me Cross Edge for the cost of shipping, and also throwing in The Last Rebellion for the delay.

Are you sure he doesn't want you dead or something like that?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

...Is it just me or do some of the HD assets look worse than the original ones?

Also, am I seeing/reading this right, they're gonna intentionally leave some assets in low-res? That's gonna clash against eachother!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Zereth posted:

... oh god all of the full shots look horrible. Low-rez pixely dudes standing on high-res painted-looking backgrounds. Maybe they haven't gotten all the HD assets done yet? But if so why would they make mockups like THESE? :barf:

They apparently seem to think it's a good idea, read the blurb under Art Direction on the Kickstarter:

quote:

When we first sat down to conceptualize Pier Solar HD, one of our initial goals was to adapt the new HD art direction with our preexisting 16-bit gameplay. We did this by merging the rich charm of retro sprites with crisp HD backgrounds. The sharp blend of each art style unites to provide an enchanting, aesthetic atmosphere never before seen. Sure, other developers have made "modernized" retro, pixel based games - but as far as we know, never before has a game been developed entirely with a mixture of both art styles, from beginning to end. This is one of the most exciting aspects of Pier Solar HD and we think it is going to send every player straight to retro heaven.

It looks terrible if you ask me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

casual poster posted:

Hmmmm, I wonder why I thought otherwise? Anyways, I'd want the book anyways. Deluxe edition it is!

No you're right, all DS copies came with the spellbook and it was required to look up info in it. The PS3 version solves this by having a digital copy of the spellbook in it, as far as I know.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Release date order.

But honestly it doesn't matter story-wise because the story is a clusterfuck either way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Dross posted:

I love the poo poo out of the weapon customization. Yes I can totally see down these four sights one in front of the other, why do you ask?

It's even sillier than that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

PureRok posted:

There's also Star Ocean: THE LAST HOPE -International-

Don't even mention that game, it's awful.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

A lot of people, as you can see here, always say that Disgaea 1 is the best plotwise, but I totally disagree with that. The plot is very cluttered, only four or so of the chapters actually have anything to do with the actual plot, the rest just being filler. Not bad filler for the most part, but still filler that doesn't really move the story along in any way. This is noticeably better in later games, not completely gone mind, but a much better ratio of total chapters to relevant chapters.

In terms of characters, yeah, D1 has a pretty good cast (especially compared to D3!), but D2's honestly isn't bad either and in my opinion D4's even wins over D1 because Valvatorez is fantastic, thanks in part to Troy Baker's performance.

And gameplay wise each game just improves upon the previous game (or release, rather; D3Vita gets improvements from D4, D2PSP gets improvements from D3, etc.), there shouldn't even be any questions there. *

D1 PS2 has aged really badly too, especially once you're used to the improvements from later games/releases. No ability to fast-forward or skip animations, no ability to skip cutscenes except for those that explicitly occur at the start of a map (and not even those if you start the map without hitting the "skip scene" button before you even know if there's a scene!), the dark assembly is a slog due to the demon rank system or whatever it's called, stuff like that.

* D4's post-postgame (that is, once you're done with the postgame "plot") is worse than D3 in terms of how long it takes to get poo poo done, but before you reach that point D4 is better than D3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ni No Kuni is already out, Pandora's Tower too if you live in Europe. I'm not sure that Neptunia belongs on a list of great games, and someone else earlier said that Time and Eternity (Toki to wa) isn't good either.
You're missing Disgaea D2.
e: Oh and I think FF13-3 is supposed to be out this year too, dunno if you want to count that.

And a few of these aren't even RPGs (Muramasa and Deadly Premonition).

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 7, 2013