Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Uh oh, just how bad does Totori get? I'm slowly playing through it right now and aside from Mel (who is terrible in every way) I haven't really seen much in the way of fan service. I thought the game was supposed to just be cutesy, not "sexy". :smith:

There's two scenes near the end which are particularly ugh but they're optional thankfully. It's not that bad outside of Mel's design and Mimi's weird short shorts. I'm not very far into Meruru but I haven't seen anything as bad as those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it worth going for all the endings past the normal one in Atlier Totori? I wanted to polish it off before I got to the next game.

Also, while I normally would write off the discussion about the previously discussed scenes as goons being goons over ~anime~...the scenes with Mel and Mimi...:cripes:

I got through about half of them when I had an "oh god what am I doing" moment. Some of the endings are pretty easy to get, others not so much. The "rich" ending is loving awful to try and grind out if you haven't been saving up throughout the game, and Mimi's ending has about 20 different flags you need to hit, many of which are time-sensitive. I say play the game until you start getting tired of it then youtube the rest if you're curious.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Stelas posted:

How many quests actively time out completely? That's the bit that's got my OCD side mildly terrified.

There's a pretty good number of them. There are entire quest hubs that become permanently unavailable at certain jumping-off points. It can be a tough game to play OCD-style because while all the missable stuff is clearly marked as such, there's just so much poo poo to do that you might end up getting burnt out before you finish the main plot. That's why the #1 advice you can give for the game is to just try to take it nice and easy.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 19, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Levantine posted:

I've been watching the Steam sale too and I'm waiting to see if Y's drops in price again. Any other suggestions to keep an eye out for?

aaagh there's no apostrophe in Ys, where does this apostrophe keep coming from

(The Carpe Fulgur games are pretty cool if you haven't tried them)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The Dept. Heaven games (Yggdra Union, Riviera, Knights in the Nightmare, Gungnir) are great if you're interested in something that's a little more out-there, mechanically speaking. Suffice it to say KitN is a strategy/RPG/bullet hell game.

And yeah Growlanser 4 just came out and is supposedly pretty darn good. I haven't got it myself yet because seriously I have like a half dozen PSP RPGs sitting on the back burner already. Why does this thing have so many awesome RPGs? :argh:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...able-on-ps-vita

I guess Sony finally realized making their new games actually playable on their new poo poo is a good idea! (I'd like too see some goon words on it too)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

One other thing is how the game throws treasure hands at you constantly, and they give you metric craptons of experience. They make it pretty easy to get overleveled, but they're also probably the only thing that makes Very Hard mode bearable.

I think the changes are good ones for the most part since they cut out a lot of the more tedious stuff, but they also serve to highlight how rear end-backwards the difficulty curves are in these games.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Nah that's RoF. It loves being super vague about everything, and even after you start piecing some things together, it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Those shadowy NPC conversations won't make any amount of sense until certain revelations that happen much, much later and by then you'll probably have forgotten them completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

Calling any game great before it comes out its pretty odd. Oh yes, I have been told to believe that AAA title will be good, because so many people are talking about it and saying that it is going to be good, which they could not do if that was not true.

The game's been out in EU for a while now and it is indeed not that great. Not completely terrible or anything, but the kind of mediocre hack n' slash that's hard to give a much of a drat about either way.