Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

So, for whatever reason, I want to try playing Ni No Kuni again. What do I have to do to make this less painful on myself?

I stalled out last time on the Alchemy pot boss because my partner kept dying by wandering into his attacks. Also, it felt like I was doing no damage, is the solution to grind more, or are there some really good monsters I should be focusing on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I finally have a PS3 and I'm in the mood for some decent to bad RPGs. How is Fairy Fencer F?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Decent, i hear, but probably not where i'd start. its more of a not quite at the bottom of the barrel, but getting there kinda rpg

I actually had access to a PS3 for a while, so I am getting close to running out of non poo poo/gross RPGs to play.

SelenicMartian posted:

Ni No Kuni looks pretty and is decent to bad thanks to the dense party AI, grindy sidequests, horrible interface and, you know, Level 5 only making good games by accident. Oh, that reminds me, don't touch either of their White Knight Chronicles ever, there's an almost done LP thread of it, and WKC wishes it could be merely bad.

I think I've asked about Ni No Kuni in this thread before. I tried to play it twice, and both times the slow pace and AI killed it for me. I wanted to like it SO much, but it just wasn't happening.

alcharagia posted:

play Eternal Sonata instead

I forgot about the weird Chopin game. Are the fights fun? I'm willing to put up with a lot of dumb poo poo for a good battle system (Tales of Graces f)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Resonance of Fate is a really loving weird game, you guys. The gameplay gets stale, but I'd say it's worth picking up for the bizarre humor and huge amounts of pretty princess dressup with your characters. Aviators on everyone, always.

This looks stupid in the best possible way, and playing dressup is one of my favorite parts of the Tales series. Sold.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just started the third year of Meruru and I'm at 35 for alchemy and adventure levels. When I try going into Ent forest I can kill the griffin without dying horribly, but the Ent keeps pushing my poo poo in.

The only letter I've gotten for this year is about the Ent forest, and I've cleared out everything prior to this. Please tell me there's some content that I've missed that's supposed to bridge this gap.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Oblivion590 posted:

The Ent is a major challenge when it first appears, and you aren't supposed to be able to beat it right away. The forest will move around every once in a while until you kill the Ent, and some of its new destinations will not be accessible yet. A lot of content starts showing up around the start of year 4, but I don't remember how much shows up in year 3.

It turned out I needed to return to the upper right and lower right corners of the map to get tasks to pop up for them. I wasted about 6 months, but the fact there's 4 years instead of 3 makes me think finishing everything out is just going to be a challenge instead of impossible. Thanks!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'm enjoying FF13 so far :shobon: though I'm only up to chapter... 6 ish. But then I've never been much for exploring or complicated mechanics, and frankly would rather just be told a story and have fights in RPGs nowadays, so hey yo.

Speaking of being told a story, I've mostly finished reading/watching all the LPs Sylphid did for the Atelier series of games, and I'm wondering if anything similar/more modern has come out (even a new Atelier?) that I could have a gander at on PC or PS4. More character-story oriented games, like. Only thing I can think of off hand is Trails in the Sky, but the sluggish combat drove me away from that one before I even got a third party member :(

can't stop listening to the ayesha OST send help

If you thought Escha & Logy's battle system looked good, you can try emulating Mana Khemia 1 and 2 for the PS2. That's where the battle system originally came from, and it's a blast. The story isn't nearly as great, and all the characters in 2 are either idiots or assholes. I personally enjoyed that, but it can turn some people off.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just started Shadow Hearts 3 and am about to enter the Grand Canyon. Are there any permanently missable things, or can I just do whatever until I feel like looking at a guide to pick things up later? Also, the boss that you face right after getting Frank (who is great by the way) was a a bit of a slog for me. Is that normal, or is he supposed to be pretty quick? I'm guessing it's because I'm still getting used to the ring timings and dropped my combo a few times.

Something that was bothering me, did they have to give Shania that pervy magical girl transformation? I'm pretty sure what I saw of 1 and 2 didn't involve Yuri having his clothes come off every time he transformed. At least you can turn it off.

Erg fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 13, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Codiekitty posted:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but either the elf girl is wearing a pair of cereal bowls for a bra or the closest thing to a woman the artist has ever seen is the Profound Darkness.

Jarring isn't generally a positive way to describe something.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Okay, the bug sucks, but from just reading this it sounds like you only freeze up if you open the menu immediately after the tutorial? Or is it if you open it at any point after unlocking it? Any point at all?

If so, that's retarded.

But then, this is the company where 'L' meant low, 'M' meant medium, and 'S' meant really big? And where there were half a dozen quests that had incorrect descriptions for items to get.

I started playing this last night, but I think it's ANY time you open that menu. Something that bothers me every time I see it is that in the UI they have advancing dialogue listed as "Send" instead of "Next" or anything else that would make sense.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

pichupal posted:

Apparently there's a glitch involving Miruca's 3rd Support Attack that was never fixed in the Japanese version either. I think it triggers on the third Time Card if there was nothing in between?

Yeah, someone posted it on the last page for the Japanese version. No idea if it's still in the English version, but signs point to yes.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

you wouldn't happen to have kept the op/have a link still would you

i was planning on stealing most of your op if i could find it

Bored at work and found it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3491280

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Wendell posted:

I want to like Baten Kaitos, but it is really very slow.

You should try the second one. It streamlined a lot of stuff. You get all three party members within the first hour or so, everyone shares one deck, battles move faster, and combos are pretty cool.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

How are Gungnir and Knights in the Nightmare on the Vita, are they easy enough to stumble through and finish even if I don't understand the systems all the way? I know KitN was originally on the DS, does the control scheme transfer over okay?

I think Sting games always look interesting and make me want to try them, but I usually get tripped up in figuring out how they work.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In Gungnir, do I need to worry about hiring some generic units and keeping them up to date, or will I get enough unique characters to cover everything the generics could do?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope the new Atelier game comes out soon and is good so I can only get halfway through before stopping for no reason.

This, but for Disgaea

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

There should be a JRPG where your party of four is a male gay couple and a lesbian couple, going on wacky gay adventures. I would play that game.

I will pretend to do this when playing the third route of Fates

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm kind of pissed about the implementation of that. Pairing Zero up with a dude means you miss out on his kid, forever. :sigh:

That's fine, looking at a parent child-chart and Hisame looks boring enough to pass on.

But ideally you get both children yeah

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The only dude Zero can marry is you (the main character). Doing so deprive you of two children, Kanna and Eponine.

aw what the poo poo

I saw some chart that said Eponine was adopted and believed it

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

HGH posted:

It's too bad they managed to somehow make everyone sound bad.
But yes everything is universally improved. Except maybe the character world, I'm not sure about that yet, but it's still interesting.

from the demo, the only character in the dub I haven't liked so far is the MC

he just sounds so bored and low key

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Does the demo go into his secret? Because I can see that being something the voice actor can let loose on.

No, but it's promising that it will probably change once we get through the intro

The demo only went through the map where you fight buff dude and get introduced to Overload

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Nakar posted:

I read somewhere that equipment keeps showing up for her in later stores for some reason? Vaguely recall that being a talking point for somebody.

That one guy who hadn't actually played it was trying to use it as evidence that Zesteria had gone through a massive rewrite in the end stages of production.

I think Caphi stepped in and said that's just kind of how the item shops worked, and it would've just been extra work to take out weapon sets for her once she left?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

This is probably true, but it's also very obviously true of most recent Tales games, so.

I mean, Xillia 2 is pretty much pieced together from ideas left on the cutting room floor of Xillia 1. And even that managed to have massive rewrites, the artbook talks about how the original concept of Xillia 2 was this bizarre gambling story. Like the Nova Wolf of Wall Street or something.

I wanna play that game now.

And yeah, there was totally a rewrite, I just thought that one guy was overstating it. I've also kept out of too many story spoilers though, so I might just be missing some context.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm sad that Alicia doesn't stay in your party because she has a spear and those are cool.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Libluini posted:

Class of Heroes? I have that game on my PSP, charming little dungeon crawler. I just wish someone could localize the other games in the series. I think last time I checked they were already up to Class of Heroes 4 in Japan. We're in the West are all stuck with the first part. :sigh:

No yeah 2 got crowdfunded and had a limited physical print run.

It's available on PSN right now.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Counterpoint: Disgaea is severely lacking in anime titty, which seems to be a requirement for Japanese Steam ports.

The generic unit designs are full of anime titty.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cathair posted:

As someone else who had never gotten to play a Tales game for myself before, Zestiria's convoluted systems are fairly disappointing because the whole button-mashy brawler-rpg hybrid gameplay is basically what I was here for. It always looked fun, and it is fun, just not as much as it could be.

On the other hand, I can say that having watched (part of) an LP of Graces, the gameplay of that one would have to be truly amazing to make its characters tolerable. I don't like any of them even a little. Zestiria's characters are quite alright, I had low expectations on this front but found them surprisingly enjoyable once the game had some time for them to interact with each other.

The gameplay in Graces is actually that amazing though.

Graces really suffers from having a story that isn't nearly as good as the rest of its parts (besides the awful puzzle dungeons)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I thought the most hilarious part of Graces F was that they thought anyone would be invested enough in those characters and story to want to play through an epilogue story as bonus content. I could barely motivate myself to play through the 2nd half of the game, much less anything after the ending. I thought Xillia was a decent marriage between a lot of the good combat ideas from Graces and a plot that wasn't horrible. Xillia 2 was pretty fun too but the decision to make the protagonist silent, only not really?? was one of the dumbest they've ever made.

The epilogue was when the party was at its best though because you had actual Richard hanging out with everyone instead of watching him be possessed.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

HGH posted:

The approximately 40$ price tag seems to indicate it'll be a budget release even for PS4.
Is there really that much in February? I see Star Ocean 5. Other major releases before that are DQ Builders, Odin Sphere remake, Yakuza remake and there's Exist Archive next month. They seem all pretty well spaced really.

Woah, Star Ocean 5 is due out that soon? I figured it'd be next Summer.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

yeah i kinda hope the game flops just so they don't decide to just make this their thing now.

I mean imageepoch's out of business now so they can't do it with this specific company again at least :v:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

What's the deal with that anyway? I heart they did it for SMT4 to cover the costs of localizing a relatively niche text-heavy game and releasing it like two months after the JP release, but the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake didn't get that treatment, right? Or their other titles since.

And I think we got some free DLC for EOU2 in the opening weeks that Japan did not.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The new Tales game has a pretty good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQV-NkWGOk

Too bad it was brutally struck down by licensing stuff for the English version

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I quite like the instrumental version tbh

I think it's okay, but wish we had gotten the version with vocals

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

ugh Gust's 3d models always look so weird

they own though?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

hubris.height posted:

gently caress i would've liked those dq games i can't believe i missed that sale

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I love this series

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They are very good but they're not roguelikes. They're straight dungeon crawlers. No permadeath, you travel into dungeons and then escape and go further.

I think they're asking specifically about the mystery dungeon crossover?

That's the only one I could see calling a roguelike

E: oh there you go then

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Disgaea 2 is the best Disgaea game story-wise.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I thought everyone hated Disgaea 2.

You're thinking of 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

I just picked up Trails of Cold Steel. The reviews for the PS3 version are pretty solid and the combat is the love child of Suikoden and Grandia. Enjoying it so far, anyone else grab it yet?

It is v good. Grandia is pretty apt because you've got master Quartz that level up for spells and bonuses, but then you can also add other random Quartz to get more spells/stat bonuses/passives.

You also got cool stuff like being able to cancel enemies out of spells with skills and delaying their turns.

Voice acting is also good, and the writing is pretty nice. If you care about collectibles, you'll want to find a guide because there's a lot of stuff you'll miss unless you talk to every NPC after every event that happens.