Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Stelas posted:

I'm pretty sure you could get away with leaving SH3 out without much in the way of complaints.

I would complain. Robbing us out of the best battle system in a rpg of that era? No thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
there are lots of times you go hop timelines in order to grab information or specific items, generally to the confusion of the people you use them on.

I would swear that the game explained it somewhere in that it involves your magic macguffin having a sort of "autocorrect feature" but it involved some really late game spoilers so....

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
10 also has a more tactical battle system that drops ATB for a turn order list that you can manipulate variously, as well as being able to tag in party members at any time during battle. 12 has the whole gambit thing which you will probably either love or hate utterly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Live-A-Live is good if you have ADHD because it's several tinier campaigns with varying levels of complexity so you can do one and then drop out really easily.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
IGN gave Godhand a 2.5, so I bought Game Of Thrones on the strength of that alone. It's not as good as Godhand, but it's certainly not bad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you absolutely cannot bring yourself to play the first Shadow Hearts all the way through, which is perfectly fine because it can be pretty janky, there's a let's play of it in the archive that will get you caught up to the plot pretty quick.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Birds and Wind and other freedom motifs all the goddamn time. Freedom was the Anime Theme Of The Game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Endorph posted:

It is kind of fantastic how the entire game descends into nonsense every time they're on screen.

The bold absurdity that comes from directly translating Japanese puns is enlightening, really.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bobo the Red posted:

FFx's story had a lot of flaws, but comparing it to the wreck that is FF8 is just wrong. FFX was a better game than FF8 in almost every way (the one way it's not is that you don't get to fly a sweet ship around). neither is as good as 9

X-2 was fun, but would have been better if it wasn't a weird light-hearted follow up to the serious ending of FFX.

X-2 only works because it's a light hearted follow up to FFX. It asks the question "What do people do when their death-cult is a lie and the flying death whale is gone?" and says "They're going to loving party, dude." Which, like FFX, says that it's better to reach out in optimism instead of giving in to fatalism.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Tae posted:

I liked FF-X2 at first but that requirement to get the true ending is just loving bullshit.

So is the true ending, just chill out and shoot monsters.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Shadow Hearts. All of them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Direct translating Manzai, by accident or purpose, is an act of genius.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, saying Wild Arms 2 is less western is sort of odd. But WA3 is peak Western, despite the presence of Fish Christ.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a game that punishes you for changing classes, nerfed the capstone classes of the game in an attempt to get you to play as other shittier classes, hosed up enemy balance and turned every encounter into multi-attacking slabs of HP, and didn't bother to fix the actual problems inherent to being an RPG from the NES.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
FF3 on the NES is alright, so long as you remember it's one of the first RPGs to try out a job system and it's still an NES RPG. It's just the remake fumbled so hard it somehow managed to make an already tedious game into a horrible morass.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
SoM's real biggest flaw is that Secret of Evermore is ten thousand times better.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Mark Waid's Insufferable, it's one of the free formerly free Thrillbent digital comics.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 2, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Void and Pandemic, which don't so much have weak gameplay as purposefully un-fun gameplay.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Morpheus posted:

Pathologic.

I'd say Amnesia: Machine for Pigs. Again, not an RPG, but it seems that despite being a story-heavy genre, their stories are rarely as good as the mechanics present.

Don't post distracted, folks!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've always been of the opinion that Shadow Hearts 2 kind of goes overboard with the silly (not as bad as 3 though) but drat if it aint head and shoulders better mechanically than 1.

Shadow Hearts directly tied the solidarity of its mechanics to the goofy world building on like a 1 to 1 basis. SH 3 is super tight mechanically but you end up going to the second to last dungeon or so before whacky poo poo stops coming up.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Morpheus posted:

Guys I've been playing Fantasy Life for over fifty hours now and I can't stop. There is just something about this game that is like crack to me, and I can't put my finger on it.

It's great to start as a Carpenter or Blacksmith or whatever and then realize if you just level up Mining for a bit you can stop buying ore but then you'll also need to get some Woodcutting and oh god cloth costs way too much better become a Tailor so you can save up and buy a luxury beach house but if you level up one of the fighting classes you can save even more by harvesting raw materials from murdering monsters but you spend so much on healing items better learn how to be an Alchemist too. Then you just say gently caress it and be a chef and a fisherman because you gotta round things out.

poo poo is insidious except it's also fun as hell.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Operation Darkness was my favorite anime videogame adaption of the hit DC property Creature Commandos. Also Liam O'Brien was Herbert West The Re-Animator and that poo poo was amazing.

More games should, instead of being plucky Allies faced with the hellspawned abominations of the Third Reich, let you play as b movie monsters in world war 2 because even Dracula Hates Hitler.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ImpAtom posted:

Hey now, be fair. Dracula was on Hitler's side in OD.

Now Jack the Ripper? He totally was anti-Hitler.

Exactly, which is why Operation Darkness didn't go quite far enough. I want the newest Wolfenstein style of Third Reich full of wunderwaffen techno gizmos except the good old US of A lets the boys from Miskatonic summon up being from beyond the stars to join Baba Yaga and The Mummy on D-Day.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Phantasy Star IV was extremely good. Other than that, not so much.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
SH3 frontloads way too much goofy poo poo and then tries to course correct by pulling the wheel HARD and it really doesn't work. But gently caress it, HP Lovecraft runs an arena powered by writing pulp horror and you can fight Bruce Lee As A Cat. SH3 is a fun game and everyone should play it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
WA4 still stands out for having a boss who's gimmick is making sure one of your dudes dies on the right hex or they bust out a full field instant death attack. With an anti-tank chainsaw because gently caress it, anime.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm sure that there's other ways to counter it, but the dude has a chainsaw that is INSTANT DEATH. WA4 has a battlefield of 7 hexes, and he can hit various parts of the hex field. If he enters the center hex he unleashes the FULL MOON attack that hits all six hexes around him. So if you just park one of your dudes on the mid hex and let them die, they can never enter the center hex and wipe out the entire team.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah for every dude with an anti-tank chainsaw or Not-Vampire with Secret Vampire Girlfriend there are hours of stupid and stupidly bland JRPG.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

FirstAidKite posted:

The other big issue I had with Citizens of Earth is how it handles its shopkeeper characters. There are characters who join you whose skills are "is a shopkeeper" so you can go into the menu and buy stuff from them. You can level up their skill and in doing so you unlock more items in their shop. However, you can only buy stuff from them when you are in their shop because that's where they keep their supplies, so it'd pretty annoying when you're halfway across the world and you want to buy something and the only way to do so, despite having them in your party, is to go all the way back to their store and then use their skill. There is only one character whose store you can buy from at any time and that's your brother who works as a worker for "FedUps" and the problem there is that when you buy something through him, you have to wait real time for it to arrive. There are a lot of weird "real time" waits in the game for some reason but that's probably the worst one.

There's also a character that can fast forward time to day or night, but no one mentions that works on the actual real-time countdowns as well apparently.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

FirstAidKite posted:

Wait really?

Wouldn't this really really break the game since you can obtain teacher fairly early on and just give loads of exp to characters?

Apparently the mad scientist works that way, I dropped the game before I could test it after the third or fourth time I got irrevocably stuck in a wall.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Byde posted:

As in a literal wall?

Yuuup. Game got bugs, that's for sure.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You need to sidequest for character abilities in Covenant, just not anywhere near as aggressively. Covenant is a more solid game storyline, and technically sets up the plot of New World in an really tenuous way, so at least consider picking it up after finishing up SH3.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Infinity Gaia posted:

I might be misremembering but I'm pretty sure you need to sidequests exactly as aggressively in both games. No character in either game ever learns any new skills without doing sidequests, barring a tiny amount of plot-gained ones.

The side quests in Covenant are generally less involved and more convenient because you don't have to return to specific locations to speak with the relevant NPCs near as much.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Shin Megami Tensei taking up where Shadow Hearts left off would be pretty great, yeah.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I liked the Gameboy Color Lufia, if only for playing jigsaw puzzles with my party to maximize power.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Levantine posted:

Cielo is a super liability in DDS1 if I recall. Isn't he weak to ailments or something?

He is and it is just as bad as it sounds. Dude's a character in a SMT game, the one series where status effects ruining poo poo is always the case.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
FF9 is a Shakespeare play and Amarant is the guy who doesn't speak in Blank Verse and exists to shoot out as many jokes and burns as possible to keep the cheap seats entertained.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't there a way to spoof 'alien' mingle hits using your modem or something?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The first three Ultima games are from basically prehistoric RPG times, so there's not much going for any of them. 4-7 are where the actual innovation and interesting design begin, and even then the earlier ones are pretty rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Something like Grandia 3 but instead of the kids you follow the adventures of Single Mom and Toy Boy.