Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I am an absolutely huge fan of the Elderscrolls series. For me, Morrowind is pretty much the gold standard for RPGs (and, to be honest, games) and I'd love to find something that has the same sense of "holy poo poo this is a loving world".

Problem is, I'm not really sure where to find that. What I loved about it was how wide the range of experience you could have in it was -- one person could spend their whole time playing the global alchemy component market and leading the Mage's guild, and another could spend all their time creeping around rooftops stealing wine bottles and beating the poo poo out of villagers. That was, for me, the best thing.

I know this is kind of an intangible thing to be asking for, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for games that might offer a similar sense of possibility and adventure.

Thanks a million!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

Skyrim/Oblivion (obviously), Fallout 1/2/3/New Vegas, Sacred (in the sense of magnitude of the world, even though it's one of the buggiest games I've ever played), Ultima VII, Arcanum, Xenoblade Chronicles if you like JRPGs, STALKER, the Gothic games, Shenmue (your best bet for pure immersion in a game, though you have to deal with everything in the game outside of the amazing little touches that continually blow your mind)

Honestly you probably won't find a game to really replicate playing Morrowind for the first time, but maybe try out some MMPORPGs? I don't know a whole lot about them, but there are probably some ones out there that are huge on crafting/lore/immersion and less on the WoW-style grind.

Thanks a lot! I got the third Gothic and Shenmue, and will try them out in whatever order feels right.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Man, as someone who also liked Oblivion when it came out, Skyrim is pretty much exactly better. If you played Oblivion and liked it you really need to go check out Skyrim. I promise you will have fun. Also, it's surprisingly well suited for super short play sessions, though I spent most of my time with it in 4+ hour marathons around the time it came out.

Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game but it's different enough where I wouldn't just recommend it with zero qualifications just because you liked Oblivion.

I would recommend at least trying Morrowind if you liked Oblivion -- I think you'll probably like it a lot more or a lot less, but it's worth finding out. I, for one, absolutely loved it.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Comstar posted:

What's the current state of playing Baldur's gate? After 10+ years I finally have time to actually finish it - my last attempt stalled after the maze dungeon in BG II. Is it worth getting the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition I and II now? I can't find the gently caress, Baldur's Gate thread, so I guess it's in the archives now.

I didn't think there was a huge difference in the experience. However, being able to play it on a tablet while commuting can mean the difference between having time to finish it and not, so there's that.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I have all three Gothics in my backlog, which one is best to try first? Is it important to go chronologically?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Ok, cool. Guess I'll start in with 1 then, fps unlocked and whatnot. Don't have a gamepad, but I've been looking for an excuse to get one so if I end up liking it I might look for one on sale tomorrow or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Does anyone have opinions on Risen (probably just the first, unless the others are actually good despite being panned a bit)?

I read a review that said it's "the closest thing to Morrowind" since, well, Morrowind, and that the worldbuilding is incredible, but that it was pretty uneven. I can put up with awkward combat as long as the story/exploring etc. is good.