Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Brasseye posted:

drat there are 5 of those games already? To be honest half the appeal to GFP for me is dressing up my character like an idiot. Anyway at least there are some decent RPGs coming out for ps3 next year.

It's just a fancy title, there's only 3 of them so far. Although if I'm not mistaken, there's something like 3 or 4 more games being made right now. I guess they found their target audience of weirdos and they goble up everything they make for some sweet profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
PE2 improves on the formula while making a few changes I hear. Just don't talk about The 3rd Birthday (because this is an RPG thread but also a host of awful reasons).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Catalina posted:

It's not IV, but the 3DS shop has a demo of Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, which is a remake of EO1. You can try it to see how it plays.

How'd the transition to 3D and change from FM music go? Some people seemed bitter about messing around with the formula when that first got announced.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

I say this with love; you are a dumb motherfucker.

Honestly I'm kinda in the same boat. Seeing all these RPGs on consoles and portables I can't own is driving me nuts and I need something turn-based no matter how bad to get my fix (although Agarest does seem bad even in that regard).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

That's actually been an accelerating trend for years now (and I'm going to :smug: out and claim a little bit of the credit, here), but it's still pretty much a "let's do that for titles we export" thing. There is no incentive, currently, for Japanese developers to produce PC versions of their games for their domestic market. The consumer base has demonstrated a marked lack of interest in such products. Unless there's a further sea change in how the Japanese play their videogames, it simply isn't going to happen by default because Japanese developers have no incentive to take on the extra cost.

Here's a dumb question: how does situation vary between big AAA companies, smaller ones, and the independent producers? From what I understand, it seems the latter two pretty much have nothing to lose by having PC versions while the bigger companies are making too big of an investment for too little pay-off. Does that sound about right or do I have a wrong/oversimplified impression?

HGH fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 3, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since Atelier is being brought up a bunch, I suppose I should mention that Koei Tecmo are conducting big feedback surveys on Rorona+ and the series right now (first link is NA, second is EU).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of Atelier again, I hear Gust is done for for real this time? As in, it's fully merged with TK and they've dissolved the brand name? Mostly getting this from a rough look at this file.
Supposedly this doesn't actually mean anything for actual game development though.

evilalien posted:

This game was translated by a different group and there are a lot of annoyances like this. They inverted the order and now S is bigger. There are also inconsistent translations like "falling stars" and "meteor" used to refer to the same thing, and a number of effects have totally wrong descriptions.
Yeah, it was basically TK's first time doing this I think? On the plus side, no more Esty Dee.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 29, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

How long has it been since this was really true?

That said, a reminder that SNK called the cops on Squeenix not two weeks ago.
http://kotaku.com/square-enix-in-trouble-with-snk-and-the-cops-1616800740

straight jerkers posted:

That's dumb as hell on SNK's part. I guess Capcom didn't mind all of the references to Street Fighter 2 because, you know, it's obviously not detrimental to their business.
Apparently the end result of this was continued publication of the series, but all physical and digital stuff was recalled/stopped being sold "willingly" be SE so they didn't end up going to court over it.
And something about this is weird because all the other featured companies were confirmed to be contacted and had their explicit approval granted, so it seems odd to single out SNK.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ah, I think I recall something about CT's plot. The first real part of the story has you sort of solving a time paradox but you never do nor hear about that sort of thing again, and then there's the weird Entity scene you mentioned.
From what I recall there was some problem with the writers for the game and at some point one of them left or something, which might explain sudden weird shifts in the storytelling.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh boy, Square Enix remembered Live a Live!
For mobile phones :negative:

I hope this fad for sticking old RPGs on phones with overpriced price tags and way worse assets stops soon...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This is a bit of an odd question but are there any games out there that let you freely manipulate your levels?

I'm wondering about this because I saw an interesting concept. All EXP sits in a pool and you can level up whoever you want whenever you want manually, but you could also level them down at no cost, allocate stat bonuses that you could later reallocate for free, set your whole party to a specific level... It just seemed like a lot of customizability and it feels weird I've never seen this in a commercial game, so maybe I'm missing out on something here.

EDIT: Basically there's a menu like this:

The level unification thing is there cause beating bosses with your whole party below a specific "challenge level" gives you bonus items/prizes.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 12, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dunno about TTT, but Fairy Fencer is a totally average JRPG with little to no redeeming features apart from the pedigree of a couple people working on it. Considering it's Compile Heart though that's actually pretty high praise.

Levantine posted:

I'm playing Fairy Fencer F now and it's alright. TBH, I'm quickly getting bored with it but it has some neat stuff going on with the battle system and some customization. Soundtrack is cheesy but kind of fun. Gamefly it maybe, that's what I did.

They seem to have really underused Amano. Then again apparently he's always wanted to just draw "cute" stuff if I recall correctly.
I don't know who the writer is but the game pulls off a Bravely Default time loop to make you go through it again (beats CH's usual lack of an excuse I guess). The game also feels like a really off brand FF7 but with more dumb stuff.
I also liked the customization but I guess it's not the most original thing around. Although I have to ask, is the game a bit on the easy side actually? It also seems to suffer from "too many party members" syndrome.
And yeah it feels like Uematsu made the cheesiest track ever for an RPG. It'd be right at home in a Power Rangers episode. The rest is not annoying but not memorable.
Ultimately with all the repetition and framerate issues it's definitely a rental at most (unless you just love mediocre stuff). It seems pretty short too.
EDIT: You may also like the game if you enjoy incredibly Canadian voices. I'm not sure what's up with that accent but I haven't heard so many "Eh"s and "Aboot"s in... well, ever. Actually I'd love a Canadian dubbed JRPG.

Man this month is packed. Or what's left of it anyway. Feels like I'm starting to get a backlog, but it beats a drought I guess.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 30, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I played PE3 (yeah, I know...) and the game plays a remix of that song during one of the later boss fights which was enough to make it nerve wrecking and scary.
If you weren't up to date on info it was easy to fall for the hype of "Hey PE is coming back! Cool!" back then.

Clearly this calls for a techno remix! Sorta.

It was sorta appropriate and a nice callback since the boss in question was an enemy that hounded you throughout the game and would always one hit kill you if its attacks connected, plus it was indestructible. And it also did the same thing when you finally confronted it which made the fight a painful slog since you could only harm it with specially spawning soldiers that took forever to come back.
I wish Yoko Shimomura worked on more projects.

HiveCommander posted:

Oh god, the transformation music :allears:
Pretty much straight out of a dumb TV show.
The second half of the game also changes up the combat music and unfortunately uses something less cheesy and more "dramatic" I guess. Nice guitars though.

HGH fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 2, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Well, he's kinda been shot to pieces, poisoned and given bioengineered turbo ebola.
Even for an RPG that fight had a stupid amount of phases to it, with appropriately over the top music for each part.

Although the way you get the bullets that beat it was rad. Nothing beats jumping from a chopper in midair, bursting into flames while accurately tossing a clip of bullets onto a ship, and then somehow surviving landing into the ocean. It's too bad your cop buddy wasn't in the sequel.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In other RPG news..

This JoJo's rpg just got translated

You can get it here:http://7thjojo.tumblr.com/post/98202338885/after-several-months-in-the-making-the-7th-stand

I've been playing this for a week now. It has the aesthetic of a gameboy FF game and it's pretty fun, aside from some bullshit insta-death stuff(but that was an optional thing anyway).
I dunno about being Adam Ant though...is that even a band name?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Thuryl posted:

He worked on the music for Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory as well. Compile Heart must have some serious dirt on him.

wateyad posted:

Alternatively, he's a freelance composer for hire and they're willing to pay the rates he charges for one or two songs so that they can publicise that he worked on the game (while playing down that he only actually wrote one or two songs).

You can usually find out this sorta stuff by looking up the credits I think. If I recall correctly, both Uematsu and Kenji Ito (the guy who did the SaGa music for the most part) worked on these games and had about 8 tracks a piece each? Some were distributed among Uematsu's band mates too. I also remember a bunch more being outsourced too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't really care about this stuff but I'm hearing some uproar over FF13 on PC, and I'm sure this doesn't matter for the most part but I figure someone might care:

quote:

-completely locked at 720p
-60fps during gameplay, 30fps during cutscenes
-no AA
-no graphics options
-ESC closes the game
-100 GB install

That's pretty drat huge for a game size though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

It's NOT. Whoever claimed that was a loving liar.

I get that the 720p thing is a legit gripe but god drat some people are throwing out bullshit on what's a port that's easily better than Dark Souls was at the time.

Eh, sorry for not checking my sources. I don't really have an opinion about it but seeing so much outrage on multiple sites I figured I may as well warn people or something. Welp, turns I was wrong.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The way the genre is these days I wouldn't be surprised.

I can maybe see his point if he's only played something like Sorcery Saga or FFF, which aren't as bad as Neptunia or Agarest. Although Ar No Surge kinda has all of their games beat so far for me.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's going to be hard since most of them never married, and men and pillows cannot reproduce viable offspring.

Aren't they mostly women?
EDIT: I got it wrong, they make visual novels for women apparently(or whatever otome means).
EDIT2: Seems I wasn't that off at least, the director, producer and designer all are.

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 14, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

All I know about Battle Princess is that it's supposedly kinda short and its artstyle looks a bit flash-like. What's so bad about it?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Jeez, that looks like it was made on a 7.50$ budget.
Well, at least Patrick Seitz makes for a silly narrator/previewer.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
To this day Unlimited SaGa still completely baffles me. I brought out my PS2 and played it for an hour and still had no idea what I was doing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Polite Tim posted:

Is it worth picking up the latest game then if I despised the first one?
It depends. I'd say look up a video on youtube or something, the first one is pretty much an outlier at this point. This is basically the tutorial here.

NikkolasKing posted:

Shame about that game-breaking glitch. That was some bullshit so I just sold my copy already after beating it because there's no way to beat the post-game without the Mugen Field.

It took them like... 3 months to patch that? 4 months? These localization induced bugs always take forever to fix, if they get fixed that is.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Variant_Eris posted:

I'll be honest here. Despite A Blurred Line being good and all, I preferred Alter A.I.L.A. / Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis much more. The music, multiple paths/story, and intriguing characters stood out to me a lot more than A Blurred Line did.

Plus it felt more "Cyberpunk" to me. And you got to kick the arse of all the party members whom you didn't join up with (Rebels/Independents/Imperials). So there's that.

Oh man I remember playing that ages ago. Looking at it now it's pretty goofy but the second game did some interesting mechanics stuff despite being an RPGMaker game.
EDIT: I completely forgot this game had a bunch of drawn scenes too.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 13, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think the developers had some ambitions with developing the whole timeline system, but ultimately had to settle with an Original and Alternate one because it'd just get too convoluted otherwise. Plus system limitations etc...
It's more of a collectathon actually. You wanna see how many bad endings you can get really. Some of them are obvious and just require a moment's thought on what to do or not to do. Some are absolutely absurd and ridiculous such as fruits causing the end of the world or Marco going berserk and slaughtering the entire party cause his would be girlfriend died. Most are really there to gate progression though.

But yeah, if you don't really care for seeing where all the timelines could possibly go, just pick what seems like the most logically sound option. You never really lose too much progress I think anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I sure can't wait for the PS4's first exclusive JRPG. Made by everyone's favourite dated graphics company too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

play last rebellion it is the best

Wasn't that the game so bad the localizers had to apologize for picking it up?
EDIT: Pfff oh man they really did:

quote:

Once we got Last Rebellion we realized it was not the kind of title we should release in the United States because of its quality. I feel really sorry for our customers because we released that title. That’s why I told Nao (PR Manager) we have to release the announcement for Last Rebellion, but never push that title. We cannot say it’s a really great title. We felt really sorry, but we had no choice to release that.

And yet the company managed to stay alive for 5 more years despite not releasing a single game since. Huh.
So what the heck was that game like anyway?

HGH fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 20, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You're missing out on Steve Buscemi in an FF movie though.
And James Woods apparently?

HGH fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 29, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Did...did we play different Sting games named Gungnir?

Sting games seem to be really divisive.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

The main thing I remember about these games (I haven't played them) is seeing a sequence of some girls arguing with GaoGaiGar about :filez:

CUSTOM FIRMWARE BAD
It's pretty hamhanded.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember this picture of every protagonist from every single Tales games and it was comparing how practical their outfits were.
Using a belt-o-meter.

EDIT: Found it.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 7, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

Breath of Fire V is pretty rad breath of fire game in a weird "hey we made a linear RPG rougelike of your beloved series" kind of way.

Also it is basically the Gurren Lagann Prequel. So it has that going for it.

I really have to ask but... was Breath of Fire ever any good? It seems like a series plagued with awful design decisions, even if the first few didn't have really weird translations.

Roobanguy posted:

i remember liking warsong, but its been a while.

That's the "localized" Langrisser, right?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm gonna admit I also had Dragon Quarter in mind, but I don't think it was plain bad as much as it was experimental.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHl988vU-TM

To quote someone else: dun dun DUN DUN dun dun DUN DUN
It gets seared into your memory what with the obnoxious turns and dead ends that force you to start over.
I'm partial to its remix from the sequel that shouldn't be mentioned though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

bloodychill posted:

But they did make sequels and we got 3rd Birthday, a ho-hum game with a story that sort of made you want to have its writer arrested.

I'm a day late on this one but, would you like who that wonderful writer is?
The wonderful man who brought us Lightning, Toriyama himself. Shoulda seen his stench all over that game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Any RPGs yet on the PS4 that make it worthy of purchase (minus DAI because PC)

Would you like to sample Compile Heart's amazing selection of games? Cause that's all we're getting till like, summer 2015.
Well, there is the FF-Type Zero rerelease in March I think.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I feel like butting into this discussion to mention there's an Ao Oni movie.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

I'm pretty sure you can't quote yourself on the back of your own box.

HGH fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 4, 2015