Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh my god Star Ocean: Till The End of Time is awful.

The dialogue, the graphics that aren't CG, the animations, the plot, eugh

I have a nickname for Star Ocean 3 that I think sums it up; Star Ocean; Til the Next Subquest. "We need you to go do this, but first you're gonna do this. And then this. And this... oh, you're still here? Go do what you came here fore then, whatever that 'main plot' thing is".

Sakurazuka posted:

Hey, at least it's not Star Ocean 4. ....:smith:

Star Ocean 4 wasn't irredeemably terrible, or at least I managed to find little fun with it. Except for Goddamn. Welch. I would see her burn and dance a jig of merriment as she did so. I spoilered that so anyone who hasn't met it will get a nice surprise. Anyone who has knows what I mean.

edit: VVVVVVV

Evidently I managed to avoid the more worse Personal Actions somehow. :suicide:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't know when it went up, but there's a demo available for the PS3 version of Ni No Kuni,

It's not on the Australian PSN store :negative:. (Hoping it's coming on whatever the main day for new titles is though)

Incidentally, is there any reason I shouldn't be tempted by the collector's edition of Ni No Kuni?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

casual poster posted:

Ni No Kuni got a lot of press back when it was announced, rpgamer wouldn't shut up about it and it had some good talk in this thread (it had its own thread but only got a few pages due to it being a import). I remember they had a really cool anti-piracy method where they included a 70 page art book with the game certain "spells" (?) had to be looked up mid-game. Seemed very cool to me. It's not my style of game anymore but this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

The book was a bonus in the deluxe edition of the DS game, I think. Just a nice thing to have as a quick reference. It's in the collector's edition for the PS3 version too (hence why I'm considering it)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pomp posted:

I picked the copy of Nocturne I'd seen at my Gamestop for a fiver, based on the recommendations. Dead on the fourth fight. Whelp. Was I doing something wrong, or did that fairy do nothing while I got pummeled?

The aesthetic owns though.

SMT: Nocturne is hard. One of the hardest RPG's I've ever played. You'll need to learn to abuse the hell out of Press-Turns with elemental weaknesses. And remember to play on Normal: It is not kidding about Hard Mode.

edit:VVVVV

This too. Get as many different demon types to join you and fuse the hell out of them. It is never a bad idea to fuse new demons from the ones you have. Just remember to vary their weaknesses and elemental strengths. A party that's focused on a single element will die very quickly.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 6, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pomp posted:

The apocalypse just happened, attack was my only option! It just seeemed odd to me that the fairy just let me try to solo three of those short wang demons.
Oh, that reminds me; Keep the fairy and don't let her leave. Even if it's just something you've fused her into, keep that demon in your party. It'll pay off much later in the game in a sidequest. You won't be able to talk to the demon type the blobs are part of (from memory, they just growl and burble nonsense), but the little floaty green guys know Force-type spells and are fair game for recruitment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WYA posted:

I want to get into Persona 4. My friend gave me a copy along with his ps2, what should I know about this game having very little jrpg experience? I like very difficult games though, hopefully this will fulfill

Play on Easy Mode. If you have no experience with JRPG's, jumping feet-first into a Shin Megami Tensei game's higher difficulties isn't a good way to start. Easy Mode can be challenging at times, and it won't break you over its knee due to the game expecting you to know all the ins and outs of the Press-Turn system.

Your starting party can see you through to the end of the game, but don't be afraid to mix it up a little. Yosuke's worth holding onto for a very long time as he has Dekaja (it wipes enemy buffs) and Wind-element spells. Oh, and don't be afraid to try for your own debuff/stat affliction spells on bosses. Unlike a lot of other JRPG's, it's actively encouraged to try and cripple the bosses in their fights.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hocus Pocus posted:

Bought a Vita, and someone recommended picking up Trails in the Sky. Never heard of it and it looks like any old JRPG except it has kind of a steep price point, should I just have faith and jump in?

casual poster posted:

Hell yeah, it's gotten a lot of good coverage here and I it's one of one of the best games for the PSP (maybe).

I've recently gotten it for my PSP and it's been pretty decent so far. It hasn't held me in place for hours at a time the way some RPG's can, but I'm having fun with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Im_Special posted:

Okay you guys sold me on this, I was going to ask more about the linearity on how this plays out, as with Final Fantasy XIII it was pretty drat linear, at least until you get to Grand Pulse, and this definitely wasn't my favorite kind of structure for an RPG, but a Town hub can work for me. I'm assuming it's the place that send you off all around for missions and stuff, and the New Game+ stuff sounds great too and doesn't make being a short game such a negative. Bonus question, does this game sport any sort of Uber Baddy end game stuff, or dungeons that will kick your butt unless you come prepared near the end, I'm a sucker for that stuff.

The dungeons do indeed get harder, but as long as you know what you're doing (as in, you know all the skills and how to set up spellcircles to best aid yourself), you'll kick rear end. And the game is very linear, but it stops to catch its breath periodically (rather than FFXIII's awful method of continually plodding forward).

There are also several sidequests scattered around Lazulis City. The game uses a Chapter system (and there are a LOT of Chapters) that pops up in important cutscenes, so if it looks like you've skipped one or two, there's a side-chapter lurking somewhere in the city for you to find. You can do them out of order, so don't worry if it looks like you missed one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well if your ps3 can play ps2 games get Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Pretty much the best JRPG from the ps2 era.

Good christ man, don't shove him into the deep end of SMT games. Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in PAL regions) is one of the best, but it is hard. If you don't pick up the basis of the combat system as it explains in the tutorial, the game will kill you again and again until you learn.

If it can play PS2 games, Persona 4 is probably the best SMT game to start with, and it's an amazing JRPG in its own right. Easily one of my favourite games, and it will take at least 50 hours to get through. Persona 3 is good (Though get the FES version rather than the original), but P4 improves on everything. It's also stand-alone to P3, so you aren't missing an over-arching story of any kind.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah. Tales of Graces is great if you have tolerance for FRIENDSHIP and stupid plots.

VC is fun but gets pretty boring if you try to go for good scores.

Get the original Valkyria Chronicles and not the sequel on the PSP if you want to try it. The original has a really great story about the trouble of being stuck in a war in a WWII-esque setting, and it never sugarcoats how bad things can get (any units that go down and aren't rescued within three turns, save for all of four plot-centric characters out of a total roster of 50, are permadead). The graphics are gorgeous, and the gameplay's easy to learn. VC2... goes highschool drama at a military academy. It also has much smaller levels and squad sizes (six instead of ten).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dis astranagant posted:

But also none of the downgrades the psp version had in order to fit on the psp.

I thought it lost a lot without the little emoting 3D models in cutscenes. I get why it had to be character portraits due to storage space, it's just that some cutscenes don't have the same impact without them.

Like seeing the protagonist resting his head on Aigis' lap while she talks to him on the school roof, just as he starts to feel a little sleepy... :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dross posted:

The World Ends With You or Shenmue come to mind. JRPGs don't tend to take place in the mundane modern world because that's not really considered a particularly compelling setting. Everything I can think of that's "modern" is actually just futuristic.

edit: Parasite Eve series

Shenmue is more of an adventure game than a JRPG. drat good one, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Unrelated question: Can anyone recommend a fantasy rpg with an actual sense of adventure? It's probably the only reason why I'm still muscling through Eschalon; travelling the world, slowly finding out more about the story, meeting new people. Skyrim fits the bill sort of, but everything's so congested together in the world and the copy-pasted dungeons really take away the sense of discovery.

If you have a PSP, give The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky a try. There's a Let's Play of it running in the subforum at the moment if you want to get an idea of what it's like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smart Car posted:

I could be wrong and they added even more to the Japanese International version, but wasn't all its content already included in the PAL version of FFX? That one had the Dark Aeons at least, I remember that pretty clearly because it made picking up something in Besaid really annoying :v:

E: It definitely also had the alternate sphere grid option thinking about it.

The PAL version is indeed the International Edition.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

FF7 was the first game I got for my PS1. I got it on a Thursday and stayed up all drat night playing it. 6am rolls around and I have to shut down to pretend I've been sleeping soundly, only to discover that it had snowed about a billion inches that night and school was canceled.

Adults, of course, still had to go to work, so I spent the rest of the day playing it and rolled it into the most glourious 3-day weekend of my life.

:hfive: fellow child game-addict. I once spent a week of my school holidays as a kid doing nothing but playing Skies of Arcadia Legends with a guide to locate all the moonfish and chams.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

Got it - thanks a lot guys! :comeback:

Don't forget to talk to Edward in the castle's sick bay before you go after the Dark Elf :ssh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Authorman posted:

The best part of Xenoblade is seeing all of your lovely reject party members be half naked in cutscenes because you sold their armor and never touched them again. Hard to take Dunban's bring down attitude seriously when he is dressed in nothing but board shorts and shower shoes.

The funny thing is that putting them in some of the better armor in the later parts of the game will have the same effect. It's literally body oil.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Unholy Ghost posted:

The only petition that ever worked on Nintendo. :v:

Hey, don't forget we're finally getting Earthbound in the PAL territories too.

Only took nearly twenty years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Papercut posted:

Riki/Dunban/Melia for life (it is occasionally acceptable to put Shulk in there I guess).

It's never a bad time for Reyn Time :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rascyc posted:

The game is still like 60 hours long even if you ignore all the MMO-ish side quests.

Not quite. Xenoblade is about 75 hours, minimum.

Thuryl posted:

BoF2 isn't that bad by 16-bit JRPG standards: you'll gain enough levels to deal with random encounters as long as you explore dungeons thoroughly and don't run from battles, and nearly all the bosses are fairly easily beatable by abusing Ryu's dragon abilities. There are other things you can do to give yourself a leg up too, but some are obscure and/or missable -- if you're gonna play it, you should probably at least use a guide to decide who to invite to TownShip, because that can make a huge difference. Having said that, the best weapons for about half the characters in the game are 1/128 chance drops off late-game enemies, so yeah, it expects you to grind. If you don't have the patience to put up with RPGs of its era, give it a miss.

BoF 2 can gently caress you over in some places. God help you if you haven't been using Sten, because all you'll have is a basement of high-level creature to try and grind on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

O__O posted:

Welp, the corporation that owns Atlus is going bankrupt. Please don't die Persona 5.

Atlus is a fairly successful and well-known company in its own right. It'll just get purchased the same way the various dev studios owned by THQ were when they went under.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

I'm thinking of switching the difficulty in Odin Sphere to Easy for when I'm just mucking around on the maps and then back to Normal for the bosses. Cool game but I get annoyed really fast in these normal battles.

Eat something as often as you can. It'll improve your total HP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WendigoJohnson posted:

Arc Rise Fantasia is also now up there in price. So if you're gonna get it, now would be the time, before it's rivaling Xenoblade.

Be warned that Arc Rise Fantasia has one of the worst dubs since the 90's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

If you can get Pandora's Tower for around 20 bucks I'd recommend it. It's a solid game with some neat ideas, it plays kinda like someone wanted to smash Zelda and Castlevania together and while it came out clunky it still had some charm to it.

It doesn't take that long to beat, especially if you don't care about getting the best ending. Be warned however, there is a CRIPPLING bug near the end of the game where if you don't make it past the 13th tower in one run that anytime you return to it that you have a great chance of your system entirely freezing up on you. This pretty much ruined the game for me and it was only after hours (yes, hours) of trying to make it work that I got lucky twice and managed to continue on and beat it (there is work-arounds for the bugs, but all of them did not seem to reliably work) but I now do not have any incentive to ever play that game again unless it gets patched, which might not ever happen.

Just so it's noted; this bug isn't in the PAL version.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bland posted:

You guys like Breath of Fire right? (Disclaimer: Don't get your hopes up)

http://www.bof6.jp/pc/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641219

A new Breath of Fire?! I loved Breath of Fire IV, how bad could it possibly b-

quote:

Breath of Fire 6 has been announced for PC/Tablet/Smartphones. Online touch RPG. Service starts in 2014.

Oh god. Why Capcom? Why? :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Oh man I hope there is a desert where you're supposed to ask other players how to get through so I can force a new generation of people to travel the exact opposite direction you're supposed to go.

Don't forget Whelk riding on the grass plains!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

BoF4 was never on PSP, though - only on the original Playstation, right?
I'll see if it is available via PSN in the UK.

EDIT: drat, looks like it is only BOF3, and Dragon Quarter, which I already own. I think you need to be in the US to get BoF4 on PSP :(

Looks like The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is on there. That worth a go?

Seconding Cake Attack and saying Trails in the Sky is a drat fun game. There's a good screenshot LP running in the subforum if you want to check that out before buying it.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This talk of Breath of Fire makes me wish GOG got the rights to publish the PC version of BoF IV. Won't happen though because it's Capcom.

The PC version's also buggy as hell, so they'd need to rebuild it to get it to the level of something playable. And they really should, because it's a great game (and a personal favourite).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WYA posted:

Holy poo poo that was doing it!

Well these games are big disappointments so far, and coming from a friend who's recommendations are great. I asked him about the Personae games and he said the only worthwhile one is 2. The later ones have numerous game crashing bugs and were shipped incomplete? Is this true? I dont feel like I can trust him anymore

Personas 3&4 are amazing games, and your friend has terrible opinions. Please take the time to smack your friend round the back of the head when you next see him on our behalf :colbert:.

Zereth posted:

Persona 3 and 4 did get special editions later with more stuff in them, maybe that's what he meant by "unfinished"?

P3 FES came pretty fast after the original (not to mention that P3 Portable also exists), but Golden didn't get released for a good few years after the original P4.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

Supposedly, backing at a certain tier will get you inserted into the game as an NPC with an original theme song by Nobuo Uematsu.

Name any price and it shall be done! :shepspends:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GulagDolls posted:

My trusted compatriot recommended Nocturne to me because that apparently has a lot more of the weird occult nature that nobody ingame really seems to think is that strange.

Whatever you do, don't play on Hard Mode. That description's not kidding. Also; hold onto that Fairy from the start and don't let her leave at the park. Demon Fusion's fine, so long as you never release it/it's fused descendant from your party. It'll get you something good deep in the Fifth Kalpa of the bonus dungeon. Oh, and when you see a vendor with a Force Magatama - buy it and equip it. (This is all stuff that'll happen in the first hour or two, so no big spoilers here).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fun Times! posted:

Hey nerds, just picked up FFVII on Steam, having never played it. I played FFX for 20 hours or so a long time ago and that's pretty much my FF experience. Any tips?

Once you get Cait Sith and the first two E.Skill materias, look up a guide on how to get Big Guard and White Wind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardiovorax posted:

That has to be the most blatant lie I have ever heard. Skyrim is what they wanted Oblivion to be but completely failed to produce at the time. Yeah, Skyrim is really more of an action-adventure game than a proper RPG, but Oblivion is one of the worst feature-complete and actually playable games ever made. Everything looks like rear end and is tedious as all gently caress, and that's after you've installed the five gigabytes worth of mods and overhaul packs that everybody tells you to get as a bare minimum, just to make it tolerable. Seriously, just don't.

Seconding this. Oblivion starts you off with a prison escape and then... What? You're free with no goddamn idea what's going on, or where you're meant to go. All you do is stumble around with an overly complex menu system in the hope of running into the main plot (not to mention the game's just dull as hell in general). Skyrim starts you off right from the beginning with some important characters from both major factions, one of the major antagonists, and a plot thread for you to follow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

Christ I have so many RPGs to get through now. And I've only just started VP: Lenneth. :ohdear:

I'm working my way through two Tales games (The Abyss on 3DS and Xillia), Valkyrie Profile 2, and the Legendary Edition of Skyrim :shepicide:. Probably should look at getting a copy of Mario and Luigi: Dream Team as well, just because I know that game's gonna become rare as hell if I don't snap up a copy (JRPG's always do in PAL territories).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spikeguy posted:

I'm looking for RPGs with good romances. What have ya'll played that ya'll would recommend?

The Last Story on the Wii has a pretty decent one with well-rounded characters. There's an LP running if you want to check that out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SorcerousHam posted:

The key to Valkyria Chronicles is knowing that you've got two routes to do every mission:

1) Methodically use combined arms and grind down your opponents to complete all the objectives.

2) Load up Alicia or any other high level scout with that double movement thing with Orders and max rank everything with ease.

If you can get a Scout into a position where it can shoot at a Tank's radiator, load it up with the order that gives a massive boost to tank damage. They can kill even the biggest tanks if all five rounds connect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm less worried about Atlus USA (hopefully they'll be able to keep operations going as usual, but there are many other localization companies with more springing up, with now indie localizers like Carpe Fulgar as well) and am more worried about Atlus the game developer. It would be a real tragedy for the Japanese RPG industry if SMT and Persona went to poo poo either because of Sega interference or if everyone important at Atlus bails.

Sega aren't really known for interfering, though. There are far worse publishers they could've ended up in the hands of. And quite frankly it'll probably mean we get some releases on time in PAL regions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

I want this in my life

Start with Saints Row 2. Each one escalates and continues from the previous. Though I do wish Saints Row 3 and 4 had brought back the Pimp Cane. That was the best gun in SR2 :sigh:.

Friendly Factory posted:

Play all of the SR games.

Don't play the first. It's kinda bland and dull.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RickDaedalus posted:

I just finished Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and I have to say, I liked Disc One better. For those that have played it, Disc Two had a really stupid plot twist: It's all a video game. I still plowed through to the end because I liked the characters enough to slog through the dumb story and bad dungeon design. I don't dislike it but, I am disappointed. I thought the game had a lot of potential after finishing Disc One and I was looking forward to how it turned out. As it turns out, most of the plot points from Disc One are completely irrelevant and it makes you wonder why they even brought it up. I haven't checked out the game, after I finished it, to see if there's a New Game+. I love New Game+ and that's the only way I'll see myself replaying this game.

I've had a nickname for Star Ocean 3 for a while; Star Ocean 3: Til the Next Sidequest. Play through and see if you can count how many times the game derails its own plot for an over-extended, and often pointless, pitstop. Now you should give Star Ocean: The Last Hope a try :shepface:.

God help you if you do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Coughing Hobo posted:

The battle system in Star Ocean 4 is so loving good it carried me through... well, everything else.

It's just a real drat shame about that everything else.

If you can cope with SO4's incarnation of Welch, you've got the patience of a saint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Edge Maverick. I can't even cope with that name.

Perhaps MST3K might help you learn to cope with awesome cheesy names :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Coughing Hobo posted:

I honestly remember almost nothing about SO4 outside of the battle system except EDGE MAVERICK, destroying parallel timeline 1940s Earth because Edge is the biggest moron, and kay?.

I love that moment. It's perhaps one of the few times a JRPG protagonist has a legitimate right to be depressed/mopey for something they did, and the rest of the party do everything they can to make him shrug it off like it was nothing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King of Solomon posted:

Ar Tonelico is a pretty interesting JRPG with really good music, pretty good characters (one of the primary mechanics is learning new spells based on character development), and endless innuendo. Just...constant, unending innuendo.

You know you can't bring up the Ar Tonelico innuendo without the most hilarious example. (Nothing NWS, just a lot of innuendo.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoODv8LVib8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dis astranagant posted:

And then they shoehorned in that dumb inventor chick from SO3 as a really bad playable character.

She can't be worse than SO4's incarnation of Welch :shepface:.