Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bean posted:

And now, I'll make an rear end of myself: I'm currently slogging through Black Sigil. It's a rare as poo poo DS RPG with two fatal flaws: it's glitchy, and hard as poo poo. I got to the last area with a game shark and I may as well finish it. Some day, when we've got really really fantastic DS emulation, and you find yourself some game shark codes to balance the hardness, it would be worth a try.

I would have really enjoyed that game if it weren't for the battles every five steps. I was actually interested in what was going on plotwise, but I just couldn't take the constant barrage of dull random battles. I've never SEEN that many random battles!

It's truly unbelievable. A modern game made by obvious old-school RPG fans, they had years of prior experience to understand that people hate that poo poo, and what do they do? Make it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tales of the Abyss' load times are infuriating. There's really no excuse for them.

Also, the story is comprised entirely of random garbage techno babble. If you should find yourself having forgotten a single imaginary term you will become entirely lost in the sea of jargon and be unable to follow the conversations and story.

It also has a forced stealth section that made me quit forever.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

Although you're right about the plot, if you fail the stealth section three or so times, the game lets you fight your way through it instead. (Assuming we're thinking about the same place.)

Y'know, I figured someone would tell me the game did that. I wasn't enjoying it enough to keep trying so I never learned of the out you say it gives you. Oh well.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All three suggestions so far for a charming RPG are good.

Maybe also look into Dragon Quest IV and V? They've been remade on the DS, or you can play the original SNES Dragon Quest V via fan translation, OR the PS2 remake via fan translation. Lots of options!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I saw someone mention that new Altier game a few pages back so it reminded me of something, how are the Altier Iris games? The game shop near me has all 3 and I could pick them up for about :10bux: each so just wondering if they're any good.

They're good enough for ten bucks. I guess it all depends on how much of a tolerence you have for extreme levels of anime. Also, the series has the stupidest looking sprite design I've ever seen. Hate 'em.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Thank you for posting this - this game (Everlong) is truly incredible...etc. etc. etc. etc.

Okay, okay!!! You've twisted my arm. I'm trying it already!

edit: This thing has been through how many revisions over NINE YEARS...and it still says "breath" when he means "breathe" in the intro? Wow.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 21, 2010

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I haven't heard a single thing about Final Fantasy IV: The After Years since its initial release. Never even heard anything when the various episodes were released. Was it entirely forgettable?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

I have not really been able to place where the portraits came from, so those might be custom.

I'm almost sure they come with RPG Maker.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Stelas posted:

Ephemeral Phantasia did a lot of things wrong - most of them - but I kind of appreciated the idea behind trying to manipulate and work within timeloops. I never got the chance to play Majora's Mask so it was kind of neat.

The best RPG with timeloops is Half-Minute Hero, which I just bought...so thank you for this segue. It's been discussed in this thread already so I'll just say that Half-Minute Hero is fantastic.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I got Lunar: Silver Star Harmony off the PSN (19.99, not bad), and it feels so good to be playing this again. I'm actually amazed how much of the game I remember since I last played it when the PSX version was new, right down to individual townsfolk having familiar dialogue.

The new graphics are really nice, and I certainly don't mind dungeons being smaller and thus less of a drag.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

casual poster posted:

The game seemed promising to me (never played it before, had great reviews) but the battle loading times was atrocious, also when you click the auto-battle option the AI is just retarded, stop using MP-attacks on easy enemies!

This won't help you now if you've already bought the UMD, but the PSN version's load times are improved. Battle load is perfectly fine (never even noticed it), but entering a house takes a few seconds too many.

I have the same complaint about the AI, but you can also set up pre-planned tactics if you want everyone to do a specific thing without telling them individually.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ice Blue posted:

Wasn't the translation completely different due to the fact that it wasn't done by Working Designs? It should have had a lot less pop culture references.

I kinda wish I had my PSP so I could replay this.

I knew I was recognizing lines, but I thought it was strange since it had to be a new translation so I looked into it. They stuck with the Working Designs translation for the most part, but took out any 90s pop culture references and of course did their own translation for the brief new scenes.

Edit: I just youtubed Ar Tonelico Qoga and it's disgusting. I did not need to see a naked 12 year old in my youtube video. Anyone who plays this should be on a watch list.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 18, 2011

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Don't bother with Lufia 1, but the sequel is one of the best on the SNES.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dancing Peasant posted:

I hopped on a deal a couple weeks ago where Eternal Sonata on the PS3 was like, $10. Pretty good, IMO.

After playing it for a couple of hours, the story is pretty terrible (or decent, for JRPG standards), but I do like the battle system. And drat, Viola can bust out some crazy damage on her bow.

It shouldn't be too much longer before you realize the battles are all the exact same thing over and over, and not actually good at all.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Shion loving infuriated me in Xenosaga 1 (the only one I've played), with her constant "Kos-Mos, are you okay!" "Oh no, Kos-Mos, look out!!" "Kos-Mos, I love you, please don't be a badass!!"

She's a loving indestructable god robot, stop your god drat nagging.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Trails in the Sky also harkens back to Working Designs/Lunar, in that people will always have something to say that is more than just the typical jRPG bullshit. NPCs will have new dialogue after just about every event, which really fleshes the world of the game out.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

RoF has some good ideas, but doesn't really do much with them. Combat gets pretty repetitive maybe a quarter of the way through, despite being basically the only thing the game has to offer.

NOT TRUE.

It also has the ability to play dressup with your characters!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

JTDistortion posted:

Can anyone give me some info about Kartia and Beyond the Beyond? I found them while browsing a local game store and was somewhat amazed by their price. Are they actually any good, or are they just relatively rare?

Beyond the Beyond is generic poo poo, and let down a generation of PS1 RPG players who were desperate for the system to get its first RPG. It's from the same company that went on to make Golden Sun, and is pretty much exactly like that game. How one is considered "good" while the other isn't is beyond me.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Exit Fate is an okay game, because it's free and made by one dude, but it is no way better than anything in the Suikoden series apart from IV. Let's not get crazy.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There are quite a few sprite based RPGs on the PSP. All DS/PSP games should have been sprite based, since their 3D blew, but whatever!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Vincent posted:

Let's keep talking about Suikoden then, shall we?
Maybe it's fanboyism or maybe it's resignation that we might not get another title, but I didn't found 3 to be THAT bad. It was different, yes, but it worked as a sequel to the early games. I liked it.

What is this "THAT bad" business? Don't give in to their bullying! The game is straight up good, you don't need to be ashamed to have enjoyed it. It got a 9.1 on Gamespot after all. It just doesn't appeal to everyone, and what game does? I love it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Coolio posted:

Is there a better way to play QFG 1 VGA than dos box? I've been getting all kind of weird rear end bugs using it.

The VGA version just has a lot of bugs. Like, whenever I'd enter the Centaur farmer's screen the colours would all invert.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I was holding out for PSN Trails in the Sky, but I couldn't wait any longer last week and bought the UMD. I wanted PSN due to my fear of PSP load times, but that proved entirely unfounded.

It's a good game, and definitely inspires that "one more quest!" feeling in me.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Fan patches and mods out the wazoo. Just google, or go to Terra Arcanum.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Sorry, ES is just a loving horrible game. Even its battle system, which it is sometimes hailed for, is a piece of mouldering dog poo poo.

Thank you. I can't believe people praise that battle system, it's literally the same thing every fight. Hit attack until your turn is over, maybe do a spell.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SNES Shadowrun had excellent atmosphere. Incredible for a SNES game.

The gameplay wore itself out before the end though, when it just became SNIPERS EVERYWHERE.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All right RPG thread, it's got some pretty bad reviews but I like its bright colours and low price point. So tell me, is Wild Arms XF for the PSP a game worth playing?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

People are always saying how Trails in the Sky 2 is an unlikely candidate for North American release because it's impossible to put dual UMD games on the PSN. Well, Final Fantasy Type 0 is doing it, so there goes that. http://rpgfan.com/news/2011/2149.html

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Douche Bag posted:

I liked it :colbert: Although I've never played the original so I don't that that to compare it to.

You really shouldn't need anything to compare it to in order to realize it's loving dire.

But that's the nature of this place, no matter how lovely a game there's always at least one person who will recommend it as though it's top-tier.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

They have to be loving joking by releasing a Suikoden on PSP now. This is something that would have been brilliant a year ago. There is zero chance of a localisation. Jesus, Konami. Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAlckdIaic&feature=player_embedded

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I feel that BoF4 is pretty much just superior to 3 in every way. Especially in characters, plot, and combat mechanics, which are all REALLY good in BoF4.

This is so loving backwards I can't even believe you exist.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I actually loved the voice acting. It's like, everyone knew that they and everyone else in the entire world was so full of poo poo that they just hammed it the gently caress up. It was very fourth-wall, and made the end of the game a billion times better.

If only more games could be serious without taking themselves seriously!

Did you really just spoiler that a game has an ending?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

casual poster posted:

More awesome than Star Ocean? 1st and 2nd ones?

Not only are Star Ocean 1 and 2 not made by Gust, but they aren't even PS2 games. You're weird.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

Talking about VC1 reminds me . . . how has Skies of Arcadia held up? I remember that it was well-acclaimed at the time but is it worth going back and playing now?

I don't know if it's held up as I haven't played it since the days of the Dreamcast, but I do know that no other game has ever made me care as much about its characters.

I distinctly remember, and this is a big spoiler so only those who have played Skies of Arcadia should read it, when Drachma returned after being "dead" for quite some time I actually shouted aloud in excitement "Captain!!" I cared that he was back, and I believed in his characterization enough that he was "the captain" to me, not just "a party member."

I love that drat game, and wish it/my Dreamcast weren't stolen.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

KoB posted:

Its already translated, just send us some copies :argh:

Yeah! If XSeed, NISA, and Atlus can make money off limited releases of niche RPGs then Nintendo can too. Especially when it's already been translated. SpaceDrake seems to be right, they're just being stubborn assholes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

No denying the Star Ocean 1/2 plots are bad, but I think by virtue of them just being text they're easier to stomach than modern voice acted terrible plots.

Also, I love the multitude of stats you can build, they really help give a sense of progress. I was really looking forward to 3 and was let down by it in every way.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

On Live A Live: I beat the future one, but got stuck in both the ninja and the giant robot ones. I was too weak to proceed in the ninja, and didn't feel like fighting through the WAY TOO MANY enemies in the giant robot one in order to figure out what I was supposed to do next. Not their most polished SNES game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Eternal Sonata really is beautiful, especially considering it came out so early in the 360's lifespan.

The battle system answers the question "What if the Tales/Star Ocean battle systems were slow and painfully repetitive?"

Interestingly, despite being anime in most of the worst ways the game has actually managed to make me genuinely laugh at some of its jokes. It's certainly not all bad and if all you're looking for is an RPG, ANY RPG, then go for it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot the Chopin thing for a minute there. If you're going to make a Chopin themed game, why not make a Chopin themed game? All they did was put a character named Chopin into a bad anime, and name everyone else after music notation. Deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It's a shame, because while I didn't get very far in Wild Arms 2 it seems like it's a pretty good game hidden beneath that garbage translation.