Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Nice Boy posted:

Hey all, quick question. I was at a garage sale over the weekend and noticed the guy had some classic Playstation RPGs, so I picked up Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy 9, and Suikoden 2 for 50 cents apiece. I figured that even if they sucked...50 cents. Good purchases? Any of them really good? I know that there were some amazing RPG's in the old Playstation days and some really lovely ones, and I never played any of these, and can't remember if they were supposed to be any good.

Vagrant Story is the best PS1 RPG, just read an FAQ on how combat and weapon types/bonuses work because the game is super obtuse about explaining these and you'll end up going through the game wondering why you're doing 1 or 2 HP damage to enemies all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just started getting into Legend of Heroes - Trails of the Sky and it's really neat, definitely has a Grandia 1/2 vibe about it.

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 is coming soon but it doesn't look terribly stellar.

Anything Obsidian does is at least worth a look.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

U-DO Burger posted:

Think Lunar, only with better gameplay, dialogue, characters and plot.

It actually reminded me a lot more of the good Grandia games, at least so far, I haven't gotten past the first chapter yet. :/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Black Stones posted:

Can anyone recommend a site to use where I can pre-order Xenoblade from? Last time I ordered a game I used DVD.co.uk, but they only offer regular shipping, and I actually want to use something faster as if I get it a couple days after release, I will probably still be on holidays. So sooner the better.

GAME is the only place offering the collectors edition it seems, personally I always use https://www.shopto.net, they always send out pre-orders far enough in advance I get stuff a couple of days early and they're pretty cheap.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RadicalR posted:

Alright, I'm in the USA. I need to preorder the collector's edition of Xenoblades. Does that shopto place ship overseas?

Looks like they do, but I've no idea how much/how long it takes, living in the UK and all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

evilalien posted:

It's exclusive to Game I believe.

Yeah, if you want collectors editions in the UK nowadays you pretty much have to buy stuff from GAME, unless it's one of those 'special editions' that's actually every edition.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

prometheusbound2 posted:

I also really like the idea of star faring, science fiction rpgs(more starflight than Mass Effect) and was dissapointed to hear mixed reviews of Star Ocean. Are there any other games that adopt this theme and are better-either ME or Starflight style.

If you have access to a DS you could do a lot worse than try out Infinite Space, it's basically a spaceship battle turn-based RPG influenced a great deal by classic 70's and 80's anime space opera. It has a few rough edges, but it's literally the only good space jRPG I can think of. (Star Ocean 2 is actually pretty good but doesn't really count since the 'space' part is basically non-existant.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the good 'modern' jRPG's are pretty much DS/PSP games, the only ones really worth it on 360/PS3 are Tales of Vesperia, Resonance of Fate and Lost Odyssey. Maaaaybe Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata if you're a big fan of the genre and can stand anime all over the place.

And the PC version of Last Remnant is worth a look too.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Another thing I haven't loved is the writing. I've liked the plot and story of both games well enough, but the writing seems kind of poor. I suspect this is a function of translation, or having been spoiled by BIS, Troika, and Obsidian. Is this something that got better with time as companies had the resources to hire better translators, or is just part of the genre?

All JRPG's have plot and writing straight out of Saturday morning cartoon, some are good Saturday morning cartoons, but still.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 23, 2011

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to play an rpg in HD graphics like Vesperia or Lost Odyssey on the PC though. Seriously, some of this poo poo like LO uses the Unreal Engine, what's stopping them? I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

Well, there's always The Last Remnant but it's about as far away from a traditional JRPG as it's possible to get

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

iastudent posted:

Yeah, I think I'll give it a pass then. I remembered hearing about it in some magazine years ago but not the details on it.

You can actually turn off the action system, which makes it a lot harder, but the lack of skills and stuff otherwise means you're pretty much at the mercy of the (literal) RNG for how much damage you do and whether you hit at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

adamarama posted:

I've a gap in my gaming calendar until Skyrim hits so I bought Xenoblade on a whim today. I can't even remember the last JRPG I've played, probably FF12. I've completely ignored them the last few years, especially since the resurgence in western RPGs. I'm going in with an open mind though...wish me luck!

Congrats, it's literally the best jRPG made in the last five years and possibly ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a 16 year old girl posted:

That's a shame since I purchased the bundle on Steam. I was kinda hoping that the extremely negative opinions about the third and fourth were just regular vitriolic internet nerd hyperbole. Oh well, depending on my bandwith usage I might give all of them a try anyway.

3 is quite playable once the install you community patch and you can't really fault its ambition. The Forsaken Gods expansion and 4 are pure trash though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

whydirt posted:

Any suggestions for games where you can build viable gimmick characters or parties? I'm looking for things that seem entertaining like playing a jinxed HtH dude in Fallout 1/2 or a warcry-based Barbarian in D2 as opposed to pure challenge-based gimmicks like an all White Mage party in FF1. Obviously, some of that comes down to personal preference, but I hope you get the idea.

I'd prefer something I can play on a Wii, PS2, or a 4yo laptop, but I've been thinking about getting a 360 or PS3 now that I have a newish TV instead of a 15 year old TV that didn't even have RCA jacks.

I'm just pimping out Xenoblade Chronicles at this point but one of the tank-y characters you get in it has skills that cause his evasion to go up the less armour he wears, so he becomes a viable nude tank. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Defiance Industries posted:

Really disappointing because SO4 seemed at first like a weird Japanese love letter to Star Trek.

All Star Ocean games start out like that then 30 minutes later you're stuck on a cliché low-tech fantasy world for most of the game. :/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Megaflare posted:

I started playing Xenoblade yesterday. It is pretty awesome. Major peeve is that they have a day/night cycle that affects active NPCs/quests. Ughhhhh, I hate this in games. Sends a huge 'use a guide if you want to see everything' message.

At least it lets you change the time of day whenever you like, so it's not as annoying as it could be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreatRedSpirit posted:

You forgot about the chest that appears 10% of the time that gives a weapon 10% of the time which is the Zodiac Spear 10% of the time. Or the rare invisible chest on a certain airship that had a stupid low chance of giving the best bow in the International version. :suicide:

Of all the things I didn't like about FF12, the 'semi-random items in chests' thing was the worst.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

casual poster posted:

So is the new FF type-0 a offshoot of another game, ie: crisis cor, or its own stand alone game? I know literally nothing about it this (I just found out today that its on the psp) but its getting phenomenal scores in japan.

It is its own game though it still has ties to the 'mythology' of FF XIII, apparently. It started out as the spin-off 'Agito XIII' but ended up moving away from the original premise too much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SpaceDrake posted:

If you're interested in the US version at all, you have to read this article, particularly pages 2 and 3. Squaresoft's translation practices in the 90s sound nightmarish and in retrospect I almost don't understand how they achieved what they did. :psyduck: They had it all sorted out by FFIX, though, which explains why the English version of that game was so, so good.

I remember reading an interview with Ted Woolsey, around the time FF 6 was being localised, the conditions he had to work under were ridiculous. He had something like 30 days to come up with the translation for Secret of Mana.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am in a bizzare minority of people who loved Chrono Trigger and enjoyed Chrono Cross too. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fun Times! posted:

I think FFX is becoming one of my favorite games. It's been a long time since there's been a game that I think about in the middle of the day and can't wait to get home and play.

FF X is the last 'great' FF game, FF XII was an interesting idea bogged down by horrible design decisions and FF XIII.... I actually didn't mind it that much, that doesn't mean it was a good game though.

Obviously I'm ignoring the MMO's that are bad, even by MMO standard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Conduit for Sale! posted:

FFXI is not a bad MMO at all; it's really the last great "hardcore" MMO. I think it and EQ are the only ones still going fairly strong.

I have hopes for FFXIV because the team that worked on Abyssea - which was the best addition to FFXI the game has ever seen - is in charge of the development now. It already looks like it's getting much better, but I probably won't bother with it for another year or two.

Since even the worst game will have someone defending it, I guess I shouldn't call anything objectively bad, but personally both FF MMO's are literally the exact opposite of everything I consider fun in a game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesto posted:

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

Is hilarious. :colbert:

When did you play FFXI?

e: I realize arguing about this is pretty pointless, but while FFXI started out pretty awful, it has turned into a pretty darn good MMO in the past couple years. Someone who only really likes the modern super casual MMOs like WoW still probably isn't going to like it, but it's nowhere near a bad game. FFXIV is a bad game.

A couple of years ago and anything that involves mindless grinding and enforced grouping (sometimes I just want to get on with poo poo without having to worry about other people) I will never enjoy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hard is literally how the game is supposed to be played, it's also not that hard since you get huge exp bonuses. Though the random nature of some of the dungeons can go against you occasionally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calaveron posted:

Besides, comparing any future jrpgs to Xenoblade just isn't healthy. I doubt anything will ever top that game.

I'm hoping every single person involved with making RPG's in Japan played it and realised just how much better it is than practically anything they've done in the past 10 years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never played it but wasn't 7th Saga pretty much a wRPG? At least that's the impression I got.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also, speaking of Oath in Felghana, are all the bosses as stupid as the first two? I quit playing after beating the 2nd one because I don't think I can take a whole game of that.

Depends what you mean by 'stupid'? All the bosses are pretty difficult and require a lot of pattern recognition and good timing, though I don't remember any more like the second one where you're just avoiding obvious attacks and chucking magic down a hallway (basically).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I just mean doing the same thing over and over again for 10 minutes like the 2nd boss.

That's easily the worst boss in the game. (Apart from the last boss, personally, but only because I still can't beat him. Er, it. :( )

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

nene. posted:

Googling is useless for this as far as I've tried, but what rpgs out there have big huge epic towers? Like the ones in FFXII and Skyrim, or even as the setting of the entire game. I love towers.

There's the Fanatic's Tower in FF6, but it's a pretty small part of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

MC2 is actually pretty good. It's very pretty and the combat system is rather fun. The story is pretty basic RPG stuff but entertaining.

This. It's also comparable to Xenoblade in how it manages to avoid most jRPG bullshit (probably because it's actually Korean). Apart from the mainly rubbish story I guess.

It's a million times better than the awful first game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This thread just reminded me that I never got Knights in the Nightmare, which is the best version DS or PSP?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Douche Bag posted:

It sounds like you have to constantly switch weapons in order to kill anything.

You only NEED three weapons, one of each damage type (Blunt/Piercing/Edged) all the other stuff like element and creature type affinities are just bonuses on top of that.

Also your buff/debuff spells are super useful and can turn any fight in your favour, even if you're using the wrong weapon that does ~1hp a hit normally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

softcorps posted:

Odin Sphere is a bit of a stretch when it comes to being classified as an RPG, but it does have a rich story and there are some basic RPG elements to it. I found out today that there is a PS2 Classics section on PSN, within which Odin Sphere is included. I bought it instantly after reading reports online that the slowdown that plagued the native PS2 version was drastically reduced. My experiences so far support that -- it's not completely gone but it only appears during the busiest of scenes like opening a menu during a debris-filled boss battle. I don't remember the original version moving so fluidly. It almost feels like a new game.

I loving wish they'd put the PS2 classics up on the UK store, this poo poo is annoying. (Unless they have recently, I haven't turned my PS3 on in a couple of weeks. :v: )

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some good, readily available JRPG-style games. I'd love something with a good story and interesting characters, and while an interesting battle mechanic would be great, I don't mind if it's not amazing.

By readily available, I mean:
PC Downloadable
PS3/360/Wii/3DS

I'm even open to good freeware games if there are some out there. Anybody have some stellar suggestions? I've mostly stuck to major console releases, so anything that gets suggested, I probably haven't played it. Apologies if there's a thread for this elsewhere.

You could try 'The Last Remnant' which is available on Steam, but be warned it's very obtuse and probably the ultimate love or hate it game.

...Well, okay, maybe not so much as Unlimited SaGa.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks good to me, I was expecting it to be one of those where you can forget it if you're not willing to play co-op. I have no game playing friends. :( (Unless it's CoD.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of SMT I've just bought the PSP remake of Persona 1, I've never played it before but I hear it's pretty brutal, any tips?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

casual poster posted:

Basically I went into it hoping for Heath Ledgers Joker and instead got Jack Nicholson's Joker.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Incidentally, since April 1st is coming up and I'm probably gonna dig into it, any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here, always keeping an ear out for some other terrible title I've missed.

Vanguard Bandits does not belong on a list of bad RPG's. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just realised I haven't played Vanguard Bandits since it first came out, so I've no idea if it was any good because I was an idiot who liked everything back then. :v: I do remember it being super easy to get stuck into the BAD END path though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zereth posted:

Risen: "I'm out of mana, but these skeletons need fireballs! BETTER DRINK A BUNCH OF GROG"

This is the sort of thinking I can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wendell posted:

Wow, someone put one of the best action RPGs of all time on a "Bad RPGs" list? It has two flaws: load times, and (for some) difficulty.

The only 'bad' thing about it is that Working Designs doubled the health that bosses had making some of them real chore and go on for far too long.