Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Bean posted:

Is any one else tired of the super super generic RPG? You can usually identify these by the fact that they're sitting in piles at Gamestop. They always have the plucky adventurer on the cover, backed by his pink haired girlfriend healer, and somewhere between three and five other cookie cutter adventurers behind him. I'm not horrifically picky when it comes to my RPGs -- I dug the Xenoseries and FF13 just fine -- but I'm bored of the generic ones taking up shelf space.

Also: Zelda. RPG or action game?

I wish there were more RPGs like that coming out. The only one I've seen recently is Arc Rise Fantasia, which I'm playing currently and beyond the terrible voice acting I'm quite enjoying it. I mean, it has a world map! In 2010!

edit: also it kind of sounds like you're describing Tales of Vesperia, and that game is basically the best next-gen RPG :colbert:

Zelda is an action-adventure, definitely.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dragon or Alive: Xtreme Beach Swordplay

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

DOA and DAO crossover, hell yeah!

There seriously need to be more RPGs based on fighting games though, I always got a kick out of those. There was the Samurai Showdown RPG back on the PS1, and Namco X Capcom kinda counts (though that is seriously flawed in many ways). Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Blazblue is practically a JRPG already so I agree.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Grind a bit? Lost Odyssey becomes ridiculously easy in the late game because you can just add more and more skills to your immortals until they become completely broken. You can, and I kid you not, equip skills in your skill slots that give you more skill slots.

The first two or so bosses are kind of tough but nothing after them is as difficult.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I liked SD3 a lot (beat it 3 times in fact) but I'm not going to call the combat deep. I got through most of the battles by just holding down whatever button made you auto-attack.

The character selection and class trees are pretty cool though.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Speaking of charm, what are some other delightfully charming rpg's? The only one's I've ever liked enough to complete were Skies of Arcadia and Final Fantasy IX, if that gives any indication. I can play pretty much anything that isn't on PS3 or 360 or too new on PC.

Recettear? :v:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

WA3 gets absurdly easy once you can learn fun passive skills like "complete immunity to (element)". I remember one later-game boss is polite enough to ask you which element he should use each turn. Most considerate boss ever.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

al-azad posted:

It's also the only RPG I can think of with camp fire and dining scenes which are kind of like the skits in Star Ocean or later Tales games that serve to expand on the characters as they talk about marriage and spicy desert food.

What about Grandia 2 and Grandia 3? :v:

And speaking in general terms I loved the characters in the first Grandia but man is that game ever padded out. It's like 60 hours long and half of it is stupid filler like "oh no we can't get in this way, let's use an alternate entrance from about 10 metres away that somehow has a half hour long dungeon connecting it to where we want to go!!". Grandia 2 is a lot more streamlined and I honestly like it better, even if the characters aren't as likeable. I also enjoyed Grandia 3 and even Grandia Xtreme because they actually made the combat challenging in those games (the combat system has improved from game to game pretty much without exception). I'd recommend the whole series.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

al-azad posted:

Which anime game series on the PS2 has this dude who enters women's minds through a hole in the back of their heads and messes with them? I remember it had really creepy and suggestive dialog ("I... I want you inside me :3") and the designers literally advertised it by calling it "moe" and defined what that word meant.

There's also this 360 game I heard about where the special edition came with a pillow that had a bikini clad anime girl on it.

Probably Ar Tonelico, and the other is Record of Agarest War.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Anachronox is well written and has funny dialogue and good characters but I wouldn't call it a good game.

Hey this guy won't let us through the door let's go on a gigantic fetch quest to find him a stupid sock for no reason.

Also, non-ending. The game literally ends halfway through the storyline and Tom Hall admitted as such.

That being said, "I shall kill you... with death" is still one of the greatest lines ever.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: leaving aside the few oddballs like Alpha Protocol, which as we have established, is not a good game, nor is it turn-based like you want.

One could argue that being turn-based is inherently not realistic, though I can see what he's asking for.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Is there such a thing as a rpg with menu driven combat but without random encounters or grind? I can't really think of any.

Um, most JRPGs released since 2001 or so?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Story and gameplay are pretty much inversely proportional to each other in Grandia and they've managed to improve the gameplay with each successive game. Take from that what you will.

Also Grandia 3 had like, shockingly good graphics at the time. I kinda don't want to play it again now and ruin my memories.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I've actually beaten Grandia 3 twice, once in Japanese where I had no idea what was going on in the plot and once in English where I had no idea what was going on in the plot :rimshot: and I still barely remember what happened, story-wise. The gameplay really is good though, I hope they do another sometime. Xtreme was good as well, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet and wants a Grandia fix.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Define "active". You could try Resonance of Fate which is by the same people and shares some similarities, for one.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Where do all these apparently huge indie RPGs come from, anyway? Who makes them and how do they find the time, especially when entire developers have been scaling back their own RPGs these days presumably due to time and money constraints? I'm impressed, but puzzled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

Indie RPGs: Sprites, no deadlines, no FMVs, doesn't really need to "appeal" to anybody, so there's no executive walking in halfway through development and going "Hey, this game is swell, but we need the protagonist to be in his late teens. K, later guys."
Console RPGs: 3d Models most of the time, Deadlines, FMVs most of the time, so on and so forth.

How long do the people who make good indie RPGs usually spend on them?