Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Someone mentioned Alpha Protocol and I was actually eyeing that since its on sale. How is it?

Fantastic post, thanks.

So its a lot like GTA IV?

Alpha Protocol is unpolished and depending on your style choices, the gameplay can range from really easy and precise to messy and unfun. Where it really shines is the story and the flow of the plot. Minor decisions made throughout the game can have large impacts on the story - to the degree where it is very difficult to have two identical playthroughs.

The dialog system is simple, streamlined and quite excellent IMO. You choose from "styles" of dialog ranging from Suave, Agressive, etc.

I do have to stress the unpolished nature of the game. Bugs abound (it's Obsidian) but if you can pick it up cheap and give it a fair shot, it's worth the time to find out if you like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

*Sigh* Why is it so hard for WRPG developers to make a fully polished and cooked game?

Long development time vs due dates?

I'd have to guess that. Alpha Protocol is amazing because of the sheer depth of the content. Sure, you visit the same locales playthrough after playthrough but the game really hinges on how the choices you make change the lay of the land and indeed, how well you understand the story itself.

I can only guess that would be difficult to playtest with the limited funding available for the task.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

sixide posted:

People always say this, but compared to the competition it's on par at worst. I never had any gamebreaking issues in AP. In ME2 I was getting stuck in walls and forced to reload regularly. Bioware's other stuff is equally bad. Bethesda? Welp.

I had very few issues either but I've read about so many I'd rather not build someone up and then have them be one of those plagued with the problems. I played the 360 version and it was pretty solid for me at any rate.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Last Remnant did a lot of things well but please don't play for the story. Of all things in the game the story feels heavily unfinished and weird. The ending twist is so far out of left field that either I slept through the game or they just sprung something totally wild on the playerbase.

That said, the combat mechanics are great, if a little random. The greatest bit of strategy is how you build your units for combat. Having a versatile team is key but the luck of the draw on who learns abilities and what they equip can kind of be a pain. The PC version solves some of that though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I still can't figure out what the Conqueror's motivations are at most points in the game. It's really weird. As I recall, you were intended to be able to play as the Conqueror as well, so it's likely that a lot of his story explanation was intended to be done on his side. But since they ran out of time and had to cut that, they had to try and shoehorn everything together in some way.

Not sure what ending 'twist' you are talking about though...

If you mean that Rush is a Remnant, they make that abundantly clear at a bunch of points in the game. They only subtly brush upon the fact that Rush is adopted though.

If you're talking about Conqueror trying to kill all humans for whatever reason, well, see my statement above. I can throw out a few guesses on what the overarching story actually is, but I don't really know for sure. Did they ever release a mook to go with the game or anything?

If you mean the bit after the end credits, well, who knows.

I love the game despite all it's weirdness, or maybe because of it.

I think you're right about the Conqueror storyline being intended to fill in gaps but seriously, where did they even hint that Rush was a Remnant? I mean, he was special from the jump obviously but I never ever got that particular element from the story. It's possible I missed it but that seemed like kind of a big deal.

EDIT: Also, what was the bit after the end credits? I don't recall anything.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkFdRKnFLuE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

There's a bunch of other small bits here and there, Conqueror constantly moaning about how Rush hasn't "awakened" or whatever, and lots of other not so subtle hints that Rush and Conqueror have some connection.

The bit after the end credits is just a short chat between the two indicating that neither of them are actually dead.

Oh interesting. I never took the Conqueror's comments about Rush awakening as anything other than generic comments about the "special" RPG character and his "special" powers. I can see how it ended up that way but it seemed so sudden like it all happened offscreen or whatever.

I'd really like a fleshed out sequel to that game though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

19orFewer posted:

The most irritating part of the game for me was being sent on quests to the same place repeatedly and often consecutively. I finally gave up in a strop after I was sent to the same place 3 times in a row, on each occasion having to clear the same trash in order to get to the same location.

I'll agree with the mechanics being good though - it managed to balance difficulty by adding in a bit of randomness and a lot of predictable cause and effect. A ton of mechanics were really obscure so it could take a while to work out what was going on - but when you did it was certainly satisfying.

That's absolutely true - the game does have the same problem that DA2 has, albeit not as pronounced where you have a few areas and spend lots and LOTS of time backtracking to those areas. Periodically a new part will open up depending on the quest but still - and the enemies would range in difficulty wildly so it was a crapshoot as to whether or not you could do the quest when it opened.

But the mechanics saved it from being a total waste. Combat and team building were really deep past first glance. The PC version was fantastic since you could add all "hero" units to a group and you could edit the .ini file to allow you to equip individual people instead of that being handled behind the scenes.

It's a fantastic purchase if you can find it cheaply.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

tenderjerk posted:

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

Guess it's time to import.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Amppelix posted:

Joking? It really does mean Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Is there really any reason for america not getting Xenoblade if it's already localized anyway?

Nintendo hates money? I can't even imagine - the last real RPG I played on the system was Arc Rise Fantasia which was middling at best - I can't help but feel our market would devour Xenoblade or Last Story.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Morpheus posted:

Having 'no plans' to bring the games does not mean they won't, it simply means that either they don't want to confirm the fact or that they haven't even started planning for it. Atlus, for example, said the same thing about localizing their game Catherine, I think less than a weeks before they announced that they'd be localizing it.

Problem with this is the lifespan of the Wii has a hard limit on it now thanks to the Wii-U. To have no plans at this stage doesn't really bode well this late in the lifespan. Yeah, they could make plans but I'm not sure they feel it's cost effective.

They basically made two announcements on this after the clamor for the games: "Thanks for the interest, look forward to our next announcement" and then "Thanks for the interest but no plans to bring it out". I figure if they were interested they would have announced plans as their second announcement rather than "Don't hold your breath".

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

And there's a whole bunch of Europeans thinking exactly the opposite. About different games, of course. How would you like to have a release of Xenosaga episode II but no I or III?

Wow really? That's pretty awful actually. Not just because it's the middle of the trilogy but because it's probably the worst in the series...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Drunken Butterfly posted:

Yeah when you talk Perfect Works it has to be all about Xenogears. Xenosaga sorta swung and missed at any of the episodes, but all three games together are pretty drat good. Go play em.

I enjoyed all the games for what they were when they came out, even XSII. It's a very Japaense game in a lot of ways and the symbolism is pretty heavy handed but there were enough nods towards XG (especially in III) to make me feel like they at least took place in the same universe.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Purple D. Link posted:

Yeah, the battle system is a pretty big reason why I didn't like II. Before I got it, I kept hearing people saying the battle system was so much better than the first's, and when I played II I thought they were crazy. When it comes to RPG battle systems, simpler is better for me. It's among the reasons I love the Dragon Quest series, Persona 3 and Skies of Arcadia to name a few.

I felt XSII was more strategic but by the end of the game felt way more tedious. It felt like I had to use boss strategies for grunt battles and that gets old after a while.

You mentioned Skies of Arcadia which is so close to my heart - I've owned both versions and devoured both. Where is our sequel?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Polite Tim posted:

If Skies of Arcadia had a tri-ace battle system implemented in it i'd be totally cool with that so long as the pirate exploration remained. Actually, for a game about pirates it was rather sparse on ransacking towns, so maybe put that in too.

As long as they only touch the battle system. Otherwise there will be a billion minor optional things to miss and half the game will only be available after you beat the final boss. I'm too old for easter egg hunt RPGs anymore (unless it's Skies of Arcadia)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

I can't tell if you bought an ES case with a Tales of Vesperia disc inside or what, but Eternal Sonata is the most horrible anime bullshit cockblowing game I've ever seen. I mean, it starts beating you over the head with pseudointellectual teenager bullshit from the very moment it starts and never, ever lets up.

No joke - I can usually forgive a game that does that if the rest of it is pretty solid but even with the gorgeous graphics/soundtrack and amazing battle system, I had to give up. The entire game is "cute kawaii high voice" bullshit.

I do love the soundtrack though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Honest Thief posted:

How's Breath of Fire 3? I remember it leaving me undecided when I played it on the PSX, maybe due to poor translation? But I was thinking on getting the PSP port since it's on the Essentials line.

Breath of Fire 3 is the best entry in the entire series in my opinion (save maybe Dragon Quarter but that's a different ball of wax). I come back to it every few years and enjoy it just as much as the first time. The story is pretty excellent, the graphics have stood up well and the gameplay is pretty deep with the whole Master system and such.

EDIT: I agree with that. FFX-2 gets a bad rap but it was way more fun than FFX. In every way. The opening sequence set the tone for the game - it was just a fun silly story, almost like a vacation for Yuna after the events of the first game.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 12, 2011

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HondaCivet posted:

I'm sure someone's asked this before but am I missing out if I play DQ V before IV? I picked up V when it was on sale on Amazon and I was about ready to dig into it but I heard that IV is just about as good.

V is arguably better but IV is still wonderful. The style of storytelling is a little different but if you like DQ then you'll like it no matter when you play it, I think.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Honest Thief posted:

Can someone direct to the the Trails of Sky thread or to a post that explains why this game is worthwhile?

I dunno, the last 10 or so posts seem to do a pretty good job of it. Rinkles is knee deep and he just posted his impressions of it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CrookedB posted:

You know, it is sometimes said that the best JRPG is Anachronox (:troll:), and I really think you should give it a try. It is a splendid game, despite being extremely linear, a JRPG done the western way. It has JRPG-style gameplay, but that's remedied by the game's brilliant humour, a fresh cyberpunk setting, and the fact that it has a good story to tell. It is a western cRPG (some say an adventure game) at heart, and it shows.

Some random JRPG recommendations (coming from a fan of western cRPGs):

1. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) is a really unique turn-based tactical RPG, with arguably the best gameplay of all current role-playing titles. I'd say it's up there with Jagged Alliance 2 when it comes to gameplay. The writing is solid, too, so it's a sure bet.

2. The Shin Megami Tensei series. This depends on just what kind of western cRPGs you enjoy. For a first person crawler, give the recent Nintendo DS title, SMT: Strange Journey, a try. Nocturne is universally considered the best in the series. Devil Survivor is a tactical RPG with turn- and grid-based combat. Shin Megami Tensei II is my personal favourite; it's also a first person crawler. What makes the SMT games stand out is the so-called fusion system: you recruit demons as you go and "fuse" them to create stronger and/or more specialized demons, which creates some room for tactics.

3. Etrian Odyssey 3 and Dark Spire. Two best dungeon crawlers for DS. The former has some p. advanced skill trees, the latter great atmosphere and puzzles. You can give Labyrinth of Touhou (PC) a try if you enjoy party customization and party-based tactics and, again, can stand the art style; a lot of customization, many playable characters with different strength and weaknesses, tactical combat - it's really good. Finally, Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is a surprisingly solid Wizardry clone; there's an ongoing LP by Miketopus that you may want to check out.

4. There are also some more or less non-linear JRPGs if that's the kind of thing you like. SaGa Frontier comes to mind as being the best of the bunch; many characters to recruit, different races that matter, alternative endings, a huge open world, lots of sidequests (some of them exclusive to specific characters), customizable character development, and almost no grinding.

5. Star Ocean 2 is good, despite being linear. Many side events and a lot of customization. Too much combat, though. 7th Saga is decent, too. As well as Vagrant Story. I could go on, but I'd rather stop.

To this I'd add Valkyrie Profile 1 & 2 - they are really underrated RPGs with two of the better battle systems I've seen. I rapidly tire of menu based battle systems and these two keep you attached to the action in battles at all times. VP1 is for the PS1 and VP2 is for the PS2 (and may be one of the best looking games on the system). Exploration for both are handled as almost side scrolling platformers and you have an ability that can be used to solve puzzles. They can be challenging at times but are fairly unique in the genre.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'd say they're lesser-known, not underrated. I've never met a person who's actually played 1 and doesn't think of it as contender for greatest PSX RPG. Incredible goddamn system, story, etc. And I hear the PSP re-release is pretty good?

Games shouldn't force you do things like "change options" or "immerse yourself in a fictional world" to have fun.

If you're talking about the remake of the 1st on PSP, yeah it's great. There is another one for I think the DS (maybe PSP too) called Covenant of the Plume but I know nothing about it.

And yeah, you're right. I've never met anyone who disliked VP1 - I should have said more obscure or something. VP2 is an amazing game as well. They translated the action-y battle system to 3D really well and both the graphics and music are just out of this world - probably a contender for best on the PS2.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

UselessLurker posted:

I know someone who, to this day, refuses to play VP1. The sole reason given for this is being unable to stand the echo effect on Valkyrie's battle voice. :psyduck:

When I first played VP1, that was sincerely one of my favorite things about the game - how cool Lenneth looked and sounded. I love the echo of her voice when she does Nibelung Valesti or whatever. "To my side, mine Einjeriar!"

Typing that made me want to play it again. Time to find my disc...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Goddamn it Rita, why did you loving die to one hit from a bow skeleton? That brought out my twitch reset response. Suikoden Tactics doesn't need 108, right?

edit: Also, the biggest complaint right now is that some retard decided to keep Kyril's voice actress when he's a kid to do his voice as a young man.

...in the same tone.

why

All that and it's still better than Suikoden IV.

I really wish Konami would bring back the Suikoden brand with a real sequel. V got nearly everything right (aside from the boring railroad that is the beginning) and was probably the best since I & II. Just give me more of that please.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I would really love to play Valkyrie Profile again as I remember it being one of my favorite games as a kid. I just don't think that, as an adult, I'd be able to stomach the many looooooong expository cutscenes every character gets when they join. The first one, with Arngrim and Jelanda, is like 45 minutes. Why didn't that game have a skip cutscene button.

Yes, but to be fair they are pretty well written and not really typical JRPG stuff (if I remember properly). I seem to recall them all being super tragic and compelling.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. It was pretty terrible and the story was really dumb. I can't think of anything positive to say about it.

I'm hesitant about a new Suikoden since they dissolved the team but... a new Suikoden is a new Suikdoen.

'A new Suikoden is a new Suikoden' is going to become a pejorative if they keep churning out butter poo poo like Tierkeis. Sort of like Silent Hill has become.

That said if they get the old team together then maybe it'll be alright, but goddamn I want Suikosix on my HD console.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not saying it's an assured good thing but I also am happy the franchise isn't completely dead yet. I suppose we'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to be excited. I didn't really care for 3 (yeah I know) or 4 but 5 was just fantastic for me. If we can get something more like that I'll be all over it. But I still want my console version - I really dislike the move towards handhelds in gaming. I get why it is that way, I just don't like the result.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Captain Vittles posted:

Disclaimer: I don't have a PSP/PS3, so I have no idea if all these games are available on PSN.

Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Wild ARMs
Wild ARMs 2
Lunar: SSSC
Lunar: EBC

If you only pick one, pick BoF 3. It's one of my favorite RPGs on any system (desert notwithstanding).

Listen to the Captain here, he speaks true. BoF3 is one of the best JRPGs of that generation. Just get an FAQ or something when you get to the desert of death though. That area was really tedious and poorly thought out.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

This is so loving backwards I can't even believe you exist.

While I disagree that BoF4 is superior to 3, it does have Scias which really tips the scale heavily. I think BoF4 did some cool things like the split perspective story but I felt the dragon system was a step down (even though I can't remember the difference now) and the story sort of plodded a lot more. It's by no means a bad game but I don't think it did enough new either.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

BOF3 had a really amazing, fun dragon system that you could experiment with and get some really neat, obscure results if you were tired of using myrmidon to aura every boss to death. I love BOF4 but I really feel like it was a step backwards in that regard.

How's Dragon Quarter? I tried it years ago but came in wanting something like the traditional games but never gave it a chance but now I've heard really cool stuff about it..and the music seems really good.

I loved Dragon Quarter for what it was - it was a fun dungeon runner with a great soundtrack and some neat environments as you progress upwards from the start. The risk of the D-System made sure I only used it in the final encounters but being able to restart the game at any time with stored items and experience made it pretty fun.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I never had issues with the final map enemies in Dragon Quarter because I learned early on you can skip turns to build up AP and combo near indefinitely. That led to a strategy of that and then stacking like 9 traps on top of each other so when the enemies advanced, they instantly died, damage shield or not. If anything made it through then my other two had AP up the rear end to unload on what was left.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I started rummaging through my tub of PS2 games and realized I've bought all the Wild Arms games, even though I remember distinctly giving up on the series after playing some hours in the WA3 since it's the slowest, most generic and boring RPG I remember playing.

So I start Wild Arms 5 (The Vth Vangaurd, yes really) and it starts very similar to the third game, and about to confirm I can throw the games away without a second thought. The graphics, specifically the character models, are really, really good though. The theme was whistle-y, but not quite as catchy. It's also anime as all get out. But I have to say that Dumbass Dean started to charm me with his speech about why he wasn't in danger next to a giant robot arm.

It proceeded to the most generic, trope-y plot imaginable very immediately.

I'm mostly ready to give this game a shot. But even the very first dungeon you have to walk through reminded me how bad all the Wild Arms' are in respect to making the most tired, boring dungeons imaginable with a generic turn based combat with the slightest twist applied (and I've rediscovered my low tolerance for frequent random encounters).

Can anyone with significant time in the game say it's worth it? I'm getting nothing out of the combat and I expect cheesy, one dimensional allies/enemies along the way, and usual tropes of guns, freedom, robots, and summons. But the characters and everything about the game has some charm and felt like it was having fun with itself, which is really nice.

*edit: Oh, man. Totally some opinions on the very game one page back. Awesome.

On a separate note, I've also just started playing Suikoden 5. My previous experience of the entire series was with Suikoden 4, tragically. It's really, really. Like really. loving amazing what a step up it is- I remember hating 4 so much (that loving boat). I've already sunk around seven hours in it, and while the main plot is just now kicking into high gear, I've had fun the entire time so far (minus a few terrible characters and character designs).

I enjoyed WA5 because the main character is almost a complete crazy person. He does nothing but completely insane poo poo no matter what is thrown at him. It was sort of endearing.

That being said, Suikoden V is by far the superior game. It's just a slight step down from the combo of I+II but only slightly. It improves on some areas but lags in others (load times mostly). I'd finish that before giving WA5 another shot.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You should really play Suikoden 1 and 2 first. At least Suikoden 2. A bunch of characters in 5 are from 1/2 and they're better games anyway. 1 is a little clunky but more than playable, 2 is still a masterpiece of an RPG. They're short (for PSX JRPGs) and you can play them in an emulator. You have no excuse.

Georg sucks in 2 and rocks face (thanks to the skill system) in 5. That alone makes it worth playing 5.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Sorry guys, didn't realize it was such a huge deal since he shows up at the literal end of the game and does... nothing. Just played through Suiko II myself and it's a total "blink and you'll miss it" deal.

Seriously, the entire series is like that, aside from 4. "hey, remember that guy from Suikoden X who did absolutely nothing but had a portrait? Well now he's a big deal in Suikoden Y!!"

Anyway, DOUBLE CLICK HERE, if you've gotten past the beginning of Suikoden V and you are into the story, keep at it. It gets better with every step.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Deadly Sin 2 is pretty solid for an RPG maker game. It isn't free though so that tempers its value. The writing is alright but the music is really where I thought the game really shined. The creator is a composer or something I think and that's where his focus seems to be. Other than that the art is nice and the story is... ok. It's pretty standard stuff for an RPG.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

In my quest for lost PS2 games (personal list), I've also started FF XII. It's weird how much I hate grinding as an idea, but I somehow acquired a Quickening spell before I even met the Sky Pirates. I want to say it was from 'exploring'.

It sounds like you're doing what I do from time to time when I'm bored - just find old games and play them. I'm doing the Suikoden series myself and I'm really trying to get through III. I want to play V again after reading your posts but I have to force myself through III.

I loved FFXII personally. I liked the world and the atmosphere and the characters. The advancement system was pretty well realized too. I think if you just like playing the game then the "grinding" will feel pretty minimal. And there is a LOT to do if you explore and look for it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zeether posted:

I've been playing Xenogears, and I have a problem. I'm trying to do Fei's Raijin deathblow so that I can use it in his Gear against Bart, and I can't pull it off for the life of me. I have the AP needed to use it, and I hit Triangle then X, but the game acts like I have to press another button. I can do Citan's first deathblow just fine, but Fei's just doesn't work. I don't know if you have to do deathblows on foot to use them in Gears, but after trying the Bart battle several times I could not do Raigeki (the first Weltall deathblow) which was bad because he uses that loving annoying accuracy decreasing attack.

The sad thing is I went through the whole drat game without knowing about this, and now I feel like I have to start all over because of it. :negative:

I think Deathblows have a level requirement and you have to "unlock" them through use too. Can you use it on foot? If not that's your issue.

EDIT: Check your status screen for deathblows (sorry, it's been so long I don't remember the option name) - you should have a list of all your DBs and your progress on them. If that one doesn't say "learned" or 100% or whatever, you need to just keep using those button combos in battle til you get it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Captain Vittles posted:

To add insult to injury, once the paling drops almost every boss/mark will also have the abilities that give increased defense and magic defense when at critical HP. So even when you can hit, you don't hit as hard.

The Critical HP skills that bosses have are my biggest complaint with FFXII. It's a crap mechanic because you can predict the flow of battle right up until like 10-20% then you spend as much time whittling HP as you did the first 80%.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Death By Yogurt posted:

Has anyone here played Magna Carta 2 or Infinite Undiscovery? Neither of them really seem to get much praise or mention at all really. However, I'm really craving something similar to FF XII. Are those games playable, and if not, then what are some better options?

MC2 is actually pretty good. It's very pretty and the combat system is rather fun. The story is pretty basic RPG stuff but entertaining. Infinite Undiscovery on the other hand - I could never get into the game. I always get to the first town where you pick up those weird twins then drop the game for something more interesting. I just never "felt" the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
WKC2 improves the first one so much I actually regret playing WKC1 when it first came out. Combat is faster and abilities seems better (especially magic). I gamefly'ed it so I guess I'll have to buy an online pass or something because that's where the fun is. It is definitely a Level 5 game though so your mileage may vary - I find people either love or hate their stuff. I'm in the 'love' category.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Going back to WKC2, holy poo poo was that first boss a huge cockblock. I played all of WKC before the tuning and never had an issue but holy poo poo I game-overed to that first boss like 10 times before finally breaking down and watching Youtube strats. They really expect you to know how to command your party and use positioning to be successful.

Still really enjoying it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

They only get worse. There are some ridiculously cheap boss fights in the game, especially the ones where you're forced to use Knights and instantly lose if any of them get killed. The final boss is a tremendously infuriating fight unless you get the Avatar's knight (you need at least level 55 to unlock the bounty), and possibly even a few extra levels online.[EDIT: I almost forgot, but once you get the Knight you can get a set of armor for it by going through various rifts that open. It's well worth the effort] But, the worst boss fight in the game is easily being forced to fight two Wyverns in the Van Haven Waste without any character that can transform. Have fun with that bullshit. Bring lots of potions.

Ok, question since I don't remember the first game. Can I do bounties with my NPC party or are they done all online? I gameflyed it and I'm considering buying the online pass because I sure did love online in the first game. Also I want the Avatar Knight.