Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

TheOriginalEd posted:

yes, yes it is. I cant play the first one anymore 2 is just so much better in almost every way.

Could someone enumerate how it's better? Just sorta wondering, I hear it a lot but I'm just wondering what they changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

iastudent posted:

Ys 7 is probably the closest to action-RPG perfection on PSP, and there's Oath in Felghana (the Ys 3 remake) coming out next month.

I keep forgetting, is it Ys 3 or Ys 6 that Ys fans think is the best Ys ever? I'm trying to decide how excited I should be about this.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Has anyone played any of the Legends of Heroes games? LoH: Trails in the Sky is coming out on PSP soon and I'm just wondering if I should care or not.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Black Stones posted:

I didn't hear about this game until recently, but I decided to pre-order because Falcom is behind it and I love the YS series.

I haven't heard much about it beyond that.

Well, did you play it yet? The only place I can find that reviewed it so far is RPGFan and I'd like to hear a couple more opinions before I add it to my backlog give it a shot.

And I'm really excited that Xenoblade's coming to Europe. I mean it's pretty inevitable that since they are translating it into English that it's going to come over here to America too right?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Amazon's Video Game Deal of the Day is a shitton of Atlus games (and a couple NIS games I guess) today including Radiant Historia, Demon's Souls, Persona 3 and 4 . . . (Lots of games I already bought of course. :sigh:) Go check it out if there're any Atlus-shaped holes in your gaming collection.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Cake Attack posted:

That sounds pretty great. I've been on the fence about buying it for a while, but after reading this I think I'll buy it as soon as the PSN network comes back up.

But it's an Xseed game so it has a loving awesome limited edition for $10 more. It's got a soundtrack, a poster and a real Bracer guild badge.

. . . Xseed always gets me with their damned limited editions, I am a terrible nerd. :(

Also, seriously, who the hell knows when the PSN store is coming back. I'm pretty sure it's not coming back at the same time as the online gaming services.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Black Stones posted:

You're welcome. Also if you end up liking the game, XSEED has also confirmed they're going to be bringing out the next Trails in the Sky game as well. It just doesn't have a release date yet. I can't remember exactly but I think they said that the second game either had 2 times or 4 times the amount of text the first game did so the translation is taking a lot longer.

Also. a small tip. After ANYTHING story related, check for jobs. As some of the jobs are time based and you could lose the opportunity to do one if you wait too long.

2-4 times more? :eek: But the first game was already a huge task to translate. I think it's gonna be quite a wait.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm new to Suikoden, what would be a good one to start with? Or are they all good (except IV apparently)?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks guys. Looks like 1 is $6 on PSN so I will probably check that one out first. I mean, when PSN goes back up that is.

Really wish they'd put Suikoden 2 on PSN or I'd never get to play it . . . so expensive. Seems like they would've done it by now if they were going to do it though. :smith:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I don't know about Nier but Bayonetta is supposed to be MUCH better on the 360. The PS3 version has crappy load times and other problems that aren't exactly game-breaking but kind of suck anyway so if you have the choice, go with the 360 version.

As far as the game itself, I'm not really even into DMC and other poo poo like that and I thought it was really fun. I thought it looked stupid too at first but the demo sold me totally. And yeah, there's stupid fan service but it's mostly just over-the-top and silly rather than gross, at least based on what I saw (didn't quite beat it).

I haven't played Nier but it has some serious goon approval.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

casual poster posted:

How do you guys find the time to play through your RPG's? Ever since I got a fulltime job, girlfriend and started working out my gaming time (for rpg's atleast) has gone down to about a hour a day.
How do you guys keep up with it?

Me too, I have maybe an hour a day, sometimes two. Nothing wrong with that, it's good that you have a life. I've just been buying fewer games and selling the ones in my backlog that I know deep down I won't ever get around to. It's nice though since you only ever end up playing the stuff you like best.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Jerry Cotton posted:

The thing is, though, that a lot of the time, especially with Japanese games, you won't really know which ones are good and which ones are poo poo before playing for several hours. There are exceptions, of course.

That's what goons are for. Odds are that, no matter the game, someone on the forums has already beaten it and can tell you if it's worth slogging through.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Black Stones posted:

But then you really got to hope that everyone is being superduper serious when they say Hyperdimension Neptunia is worth every penny they paid for it. :v:

I'd be worried about this if goons didn't love bitching about video games so much.

But yeah, being an adult sucks because you can finally afford to pick up every game you want but you don't have the time to play them all. Better than being 11 and having to replay a bad game over and over until your birthday rolls around.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I haven't played Ark but I've heard that the PSP port is really lovely and that you should play it on PS2 instead. If anyone else thinks otherwise then please discuss but I just wanted to give fair warning in case it's really true.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah

Er, I should be excited about this right? I haven't played either of the Persona 2s so I don't know if they're really any good or not.

More importantly, why does that girl have hearts on her boobs? It's not very flattering I have to say.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Can someone explain the relationship between Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment to me? I'm trying to read about it and it sounds like it's kind of a sequel but not really, and the main character is different? Are you supposed to play both or just one? Not that it matters since there aren't any EP remake plans right now. :\

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Paperhouse posted:

It is a continuation of one story I think, the main character in EP is one of the characters in Innocent Sin. And EP was released in English for Playstation so you can now play both with official English translations

Yeah but it's really rare and expensive. :( It didn't end up on PSN did it?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

KariOhki posted:

I've got Eternal Sonata unstarted, got it as a gift. And four Tales games to finish. Final Fantasies 3, 5, 7, 12, and 13. A ton of Nippon Ichi SRPGs. Every Shin Megami Tensei game on PS2 except P3 and P4. That's just the tip of the list.

I've got an RPG backlog problem.

what's wrong with you :colbert:

I have all the Fire Emblems except the DS one and one version of each of the Ys games that actually got released here. Guess how many I have beaten. At least nothing of interest to me has come out since like March so I haven't had to add to the backlog.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SpaceDrake posted:

I'd hoped publishers had learned from the example of E.T., but it looks like another lesson was required. DA is going to need a lot of careful resuscitation as a franchise after the damage DA2 has inflicted on it.

Does anyone know what sales of DA2 really looked like? I know a lot of the more hardcore DA:O fans were pissed and all but if it still sold a jillion copies I doubt BioWare/EA will care.

And while we're talking about sweet SRPGs, I have a question . . . I know that Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics are really similar. I think they had the same designer/director or something right? Could someone outline the major gameplay differences between them? For some reason I'm always worried that if I played both it'd feel like I'd played the same game twice.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Monster w21 Faces posted:

To give further info I'm knocking around a few ideas for an rpg that will make use of the connectivity between handheld gaming platforms (PSVita, 3DS, WiiU) and their parent consoles to employ the more traditional adventurers/dungeon master dynamic.

However I want to give players more choice than that found in WoW and as someone who hasn't played much DnD or 'heavy' traditional RPGs I wanted to know what you guys and girls like to play. After all it's aimed at you.

I've played a few games where the character's class didn't fit neatly into the warrior/mage/healer/thief mold and it was awesome. Nothing wrong with the classics but unless you have a really creative way to use them it might be more worthwhile to try something new to make your game stand out.

I guess the main example I can think of is the Etrian Odyssey series. The traditional tank, warrior, etc. are usually there but the rest of the classes are often a bit hard to define. I still haven't entirely figured out the "Ninja" class in EO3. But even in those games you can generally loosely classify each class as "damage-dealer" or "support (healing, buffs, debuffs)."

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Did they reprint Dragon Quest V on the DS or something? It's $20 new on Amazon now. Pretty awesome. You couldn't touch a used copy for under $50 while it was out-of-print.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My copy of Dragon Quest V is coming today! :dance: I know it's the middle game in a trilogy consisting of IV, V and VI but I haven't played any of 'em yet. Do I need any backstory filled in before I play?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

VDay posted:

Anybody wanna recommend me an RPG for the DS? I have or played: DQ IX, FF 4 Heroes, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, and Radiant Historia. Just looking for a new game to kill some time with.

You probably would've picked it up already if you were interested but there are three series of Pokemon games on the DS. Black and White just came out and are probably the best but there are also the Gold and Silver remakes and the last gen of Pokemon games, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

Seconding the Dragon Quest remakes. Everyone seems to like V the best so I'd start with that one.

OK, speaking of Nier, does anyone know if there are any differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? Since it's a Squeenix game I'm guessing the PS3 version would be a bit better but I just wanted to see if anyone had heard otherwise.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 17, 2011

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

RadicalR posted:

I hear the 360 version is better - the PS3 has screen tear problems. But that's going off what other goons have said.

OK, after a little research (Wikipedia) this totally makes sense. Japan got two versions - Nier Gestalt which was exclusive to the 360 and has the older protagonist that we know, and Nier Replicant which was PS3 exclusive and has a femmy teen boy protagonist instead. We, of course, got the 360 version, but here it was also ported to PS3.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

If anyone hasn't picked up Recettear, the goon-localized JRPG/capitalism simulator, it's on sale for $5 today on Steam and GamersGate. The GamersGate copy is extra awesome because it has no DRM so you can play it however you want without having to deal with Steam.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Machine posted:

Any other RPG fans hate that the games in their preferred genre take a minimum of 20-some hours?

I have so many RPGs to play. :gonk:

Only because it creates giant backlogs, like you said. Better that then paying $60 every two weeks for the latest 8-hour-long cinematic cover shooter.

For me the bigger problem is that playing RPGs keeps me accustomed to dated graphics and design. This makes it way too easy for me to pick up all the good old games I missed while I'm buying new games. :v:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SpaceDrake posted:

Don't bet on it. The Japanese market is making what appears to be a permanent shift to portable devices, due to a list of reasons longer than my arm. There may come a time this decade when the Japanese abandon set-top boxes entirely.

This is probably a little off-topic but could you list some of those reasons? I'm just curious. Also it would kind of help explain why the Wii is so terrible. :v:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm sure someone's asked this before but am I missing out if I play DQ V before IV? I picked up V when it was on sale on Amazon and I was about ready to dig into it but I heard that IV is just about as good.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Aren't bullet hell types of games normally played with a joystick anyway? I don't see why people think the PSP version would be so weird.

For me the main knock against the DS version is that it's now rare and kind of expensive whereas the PSP version is very cheap and relatively easy to find. Atlus games with distribution problems, imagine that.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Got this from Atlus today:

Any preorder bonus is better than nothing at all but I'm a little sick of the gimpy mini-soundtracks, especially because this one looks like it's going to take up a whole jewel case and an extra box. P3P had that sweet-rear end Junpei hat instead, this time we should get a copy of Maya's heartboob jacket.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SpaceDrake posted:

They still need to MAKE a proper PSP version of EP, though. I highly suspect that'll be Atlus' swan song for the PSP and their last title for the system.

Nope, then a P4 remake so that every single Persona game (so far) is on one system. :v:

So the first Persona is pretty bad right, in spite of the remake?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

3D Budgie posted:

Ni no Kuni confirmed for America!

Here's hoping that we'll be getting more console JRPGs next year.

YES YES YES

Hey look yet another JRPG Nintendo didn't want us in the States to play. :v: Too bad Xenoblade's developer is owned by Nintendo or maybe that could've been ported too.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Speaking of Radiant Historia, I feel dumb for asking this but is there absolutely no map? I agree with the other complaints but the main thing I can't stand is getting lost trying to find the next location I need to get to.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I don't know if anyone here plays these games but I've read a couple of reviews of Atelier Totori and they generally seem to say that Totori is like Rorona but better in just about every way. I had Rorona and liked it but didn't get too far because the schedule seemed a little too tight for all the tasks you had to complete and it just made it not as fun. Is this any better in Totori?

Assuming any/all of that is fixed, am I going to miss out on a lot in Totori story-wise if I didn't finish Rorona?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Stelas posted:

Some of the characters return in Totori, but I strongly doubt you'll miss much - though I'm still only two-thirds through Rorona at the moment, it isn't exactly a plot-packed game.

Rorona can be very overwhelming at first, but you do actually get a lot of time to do things; if you're particularly thorough you can end the first year with some people maxed out on trust, and then you start getting an assistant and the ability to register new items in shops for mass purchase, both of which drastically help.

Yeah, I know the story isn't too complicated, haha. I just wonder if the interactions with the characters will be really loaded with references to the first game (in-jokes, relationships I don't understand, etc.) that I won't catch.

Oh well, I'm probably just going to jump into Totori anyway as it sounds like a better game overall.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Troffen posted:

I went into Rorona expecting something simple and light-hearted but it was seriously once of the most stressful games I've ever played. My experience was similar to HondaCivet's; I really liked the game but I was constantly freaking out about one deadline or another. Maybe I was just bad at the game but I'm hoping Totori is a little more loose regarding time management.

If I'm reading the reviews correctly it sounds like the game basically has no deadlines, or they're incredibly long, so you can kind of just do stuff in any order and however you'd like to do it. One reviewer complained that this made it hard to know what to do next sometimes, but overall it sounds like a huge improvement to me.

And yeah, I didn't really understand how everyone called Rorona relaxing. :argh:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The reviews for Totori are trickling in and they've mostly been pretty glowing. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link to a few. Pretty pumped for this animu simulator.

Has anyone ever made an Atelier thread or would it be a waste of time? Not sure how many goons play the series and I am new to it myself.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Black Stones posted:

I've been playing Atelier since Atelier Iris on the Ps2 (Although I bought, but still haven't played Atelier Iris 3) so I'm not exactly new to it all. But I don't see myself investing the same way I did making the Xenoblade OP.

Is there much demand for one anyway? I think probably only a handful of people here play em.

It's hard to say but I'm kind of surprised at how many people responded to my post so there are more than I thought at least, haha. A thread would attract new players too. The game might be too anime for goons to handle though.

I wad kinda hoping Amazon was going to ship it a day early like they sometimes do with preorders but nothing so far. :/

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Is it just me or did GameStop push Atelier Totori's release date back until Friday during the day today? The heck? It's bad enough that no one had it on the official day, which was today. I asked about it at a GameStop today and they said it looked like the copies were already in transit so we'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

And yes I am dumb for doing business with GameStop but my work is right next to a mall so it's just tremendously convenient is all. That and I live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yeah I don't really get why this "release date" thing is so hard. Last week Kirby Mass Attack came out a day after the "official" release date too. I know Nintendo picks really stupid days like Sunday and Monday to release games but can't they just ship them early so they're ready on the right day? Unless they're having supply problems I guess but does that really happen that often?

First-world problems, need my stupid video games for babies :argh: