Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

softcorps posted:

FM3 was releasd on the US PSN sometime in the past few weeks, although I don't know when exactly. Now, if only they'd somehow convert FM4 and 5 over to PS3...

I liked FM4 but it never held my interest like FM3 did. That internet simulation thing was awesome, it was the SRPG equivalent of having a world to explore and getting optional story out of it.

That said FM5 has an English patch you can apply to it. If your PC is capable of PS2 emulation, it's easy - just apply the patch to the ISO and play. If it's not you're a bit more limited - I think you'll need a modded PS2, so that you can patch the ISO, burn it to DVD, then play that in your PS2.

Now that my PC can handle it I'm thinking about picking it up eventually, lots of actual PC games to play first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

casual poster posted:

How do you guys find the time to play through your RPG's? Ever since I got a fulltime job, girlfriend and started working out my gaming time (for rpg's atleast) has gone down to about a hour a day.
How do you guys keep up with it?

I don't it took me 4 months to beat Mass Effect 2

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm about to get started on the PSP Tactics Ogre game after buying it at launch :v: anything I should know/how pumped should I be

I loved FFT, enough to play it and finish it on PSP with the slowdown problems and iPhone with the wonky controls.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Aberrant posted:

Edit: ^^ Thanks guys, I'll take a look at some of those.

I'm gettin' pretty jealous over here, if I can find a psp cheap I'll buy it in a second myself despite having beat the PS1 version.

Make 2 saves after you free the Baron/Duke or whatever at the start, when he sends you to the mines the choice you make there changes the game significantly.

Doesn't the PSP version let you go back and visit other paths? I'm not sure but that's what I heard.

Cake Attack posted:

Archers are actually really good, unlike in Final Fantasy Tactics. Also, the Oberyth items (I think that's what they're called), are vendor trash and can be sold freely. Crafting is incredibly tedious, and you can probably get by without it. I can't think of anything that should really pose much of a problem, especially since you're familiar with FFT. Oh, and Let us Cling Together is amazing, so have fun.

Yeah anything that is optional and tedious I'll always skip. I guess I'll actually use archers! They were my least favorite FFT class

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ragequit posted:

After you drop 100+ hours in to the Tactics Ogre game everyone has mentioned, you should mod your PSP and apply the slowdown fix patch for FFT. It has prompted yet another playthrough from me, and I haven't noticed a single problem in the first few battles. The slowdown is completely gone, and it is glorious.

What the hell! That's amazing, I can't believe they actually fan-patched it. Honestly I JUST beat it on iOS though so I'm good at the moment, will keep that in mind if I ever feel like it again though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah if you really want to play disgaea the PSP ones are always better and add systems in from future games. Disgaea 4 will probably be better on the eventual Vita release too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Primoman posted:

I've got a PS+ on PS3 question I hope you guys can answer.

I have yet to ever finish Persona 3. The first time was because I moved on to FES, and the next two attempts I had lost my save data under two different circumstances.

I'm looking to finally commit to the game 100% and finally finish it to completion. To avoid another potential lost save incident, I was wondering if owning the digital "PS2 Classics" version from PSN will allow me to upload its save data to the PS+ Cloud.

Or can this be done already with a PS2 save on the PS3? I'm not sure if the digital PS2 downloads use a different save file than the one it creates with a PS2 disc (I own a BC compatible PS3).

With PS2 saves you can literally put them on a memory stick and save them on your computer. I have no idea if they work on the PS3 cloudsave service but I've downloaded saves for PS2 games from other people and they work just fine.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress me Tactics Ogre has so many stats for each unit.

THIS UNIT HAS ALLEGIANCE TO THIS GUY AND IS FROM THIS CLAN AND IS LAWFUL GOOD AND HIS FORTUNE TODAY IS 3 STARS - TRY AGAIn

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress you Tactics Ogre

I'm in that battle where you have to rescue a girl and there's a dragon and stuff. First time through I'm doing great, picked up some neat new class cards, doing just fine, the girl manages to block almost everything coming her way. There's one guy left on the battlefield, he gets a critical hit and she dies. I thought you could use the Chariot to turn back a couple of turns but nope, Game Over.

Fine whatever I'll do this again. Every other try she's been dying on like, the 3rd turn, turns out I just got really lucky the first time. Ugh. Can I just choose the second option and let her die?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Personally I've been using my Vita for Disgaea 3 and Tactics Ogre. Waiting on Persona 4, but try 3 if you haven't.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mass Effect is Space Persona been saying it for years

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

My favorite part is when Shepard shoots themself in the head to summon a Thresher Maw who was unlocked for S ranking the relationship with Wrex.
You literally unlock skills in Mass Effect for maxing S links like you would unlock a persona.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TehGherkin posted:

I'm in the exact same boat here, FM1 is one of the few SNES jRPGS I ever got round to actually finishing, but when I tried 3 (Whats the deal with 2?) I just never got into it. Do goons think its worth giving it another shot? Whats 4 like? and has anyone else got any opinions on the quality of the translation patch? I'd really like more Front Mission in my life.

I haven't played FM3 in a while but it was one of my favorite PS1 SRPGs. It does start off slow but eventually builds up as you start unlocking skills and mechs and stealing people's stuff.

Plus FM3 was the last game that let you eject and shoot at robots with a pistol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

This is a problem I've had trying to replay a lot of PS1 RPGs. I noticed it the most with Parasite Eve and FF9. In any plot scene, rather than moving and emoting as they speak like people actually do, the characters will, in this specific order:

1- Walk to their new spot in the scene
2- Animate whatever expression they're supposed to convey
3- Begin scrolling a text box.

It makes every scene seem really weird and stretches the runtime out ridiculously.

Oh god this makes older RPGs impossible to play

Even PS2 RPGs did it though. Anyone who played FFX-2 remembers Rikku's waving hands animation

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I was excited for FFX HD but now I realize FFX was slow as poo poo outside of fights and had long unskippable cutscenes before hard fights

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How bad are we talking?

For some reason I've grown really intolerant to lovely stories recently and I skip cutscenes whenever they get too long. When I was younger I'd listen to the entire conversation between Raiden and Rose talking about movies or whatever

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Atelier series comes off as one of those second rate JRPGs most people would ignore last gen but that JRPG starved players flock to now because there's not much else to choose from.

That said I've been playing a lot of Disgaea 3 recently so maybe I shouldn't judge

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Emalde posted:

What about the Dragon Quest Monsters DS games? Should I even bother since I've never touched DQ?
I remember loving the first one but they were kinda grindy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I decided I'm gonna play a standard JRPG on the vita. YS is an action RPG, my other games are SRPGs, ZHP is a rogue like thing (also I loaded my save and forgot what the hell I was doing, my guy looks like the last boss on every slot)

I've heard trail in the sky and Cladun get mentioned a lot. I'm leaning more towards Cladun, do I skip the first one? (they're both the same price). I kind of want a fun quirky game over a super serious one.

Alternatively I wait for PS1 support and play FF9

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Emalde posted:

Cladun 1 has multiplayer, so if that interests you at all get that. I would be more than happy to start a new dude and play with you over AHP if you have the option.

Otherwise, Cladun X2 is better in every other way.

(Also the Cladun games are hella Action RPGs, not JRPGs)

I'd be picking these up to play while I'm traveling, so multiplayer would be out, which makes it an easy decision :v:

And dammit, Cladun is the game where you build a fully customized party right? I heard "party" and thought turn based. It says RPG in the title! Whatever I'm not gonna go homeless over $20, Cladun X2 it is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I already bought Cladun :v:

Exactly $20 left for another though, I'll save it and see what I feel like after that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I'm playing Cladun X2 and there are a million subsystems and it's complicated as poo poo and I'm loving it. I should really play more NIS games than disgaea.

It's also really funny without trying too hard.

Anyway I started as Warrior and made a wizard and ranger, is there anything I should know early on like not using some jobs? I'm figuring out sub-characters as I go and just equip them with whatever junk I find lying around for now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Emalde posted:

Classes: Merchants get the best magic circles for raising the poo poo out of other characters. Staff-based characters are a lot more heavily equipment based than the other classes due to how normal staff attacks function.

Ran-Geon: When in doubt, just take the loving exit gate.

Fame: Get as much as you can as soon as you can to unlock the ability to apply equipment edits for free instead of farming the titles for them.
Ooh good to know, I completely ignored Merchants.

Sub characters actually level better than the main right? So when I'm running through the game I should be using my weaker guys to level my stronger ones? I'm not quite sure of this part yet.

Is there any way to get fame other than speed running?

Wendell posted:

Definitely keep ZHP in mind for when you're finished with Cladun.

Oh yeah I've played it back on the PSP. It seemed really similar to Disgaea in a lot of aspects, Cladun is totally fresh but both are pretty great.

I had a $50 card for Vita games and I've been blowing it all on PSP stuff instead, a lot of quality stuff for good prices.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey PSP/Vita owners/JRPG fans:

Atlus is having a massive sale on the US store. Persona 3 Portable is $10, Persona 2 $15, and a lot of stuff like Yggdra Union as low as $5.

I should check out Yggdra Union an Riviera for that cheap.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Good thing I ended up holding off on the Vita YS, $5 is crazy

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

It can vary. Sometimes it's pretty breezy but sometimes it can get a bit chatty. We did our best to make sure it was at least amusing, and often interesting enough. The original script wasn't bad but it could go on a bit.

The day the CF bundle went on sale both the bundle and a couple of individual games were in the top sold list, I'm guessing it went well for you guys?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

For a pretty much dead system, the PSP's still getting a pretty respectable stream of RPGs. I've never played a Growlanser game, but I've been planning on picking this one up.

I'm sure the fact that a lot of us who bought a Vita are using it to play PSP games helps :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Believe it or not MGS: Peacewalker has a small amount of RPG mechanics. You collect enemy soldiers to level up your base :v: it's a great game if you like MGS at all.

I've started Persona 2 on the Vita recently, it was on sale but back to fill price I think.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Miijhal posted:

I've been playing Legasista for most of the day. Just unlocked character creation, and it's pretty much as I expected. If you aren't an art major or at least very good at drawing animes pixel by pixel, you pretty much won't get any use out of it.

Other than that, I do like that they implemented a leveling system that isn't so goddamn ridiculous this time around. You don't get punished for actually using the characters you want to! The music is also excellent, and a major improvement over Cladun (which still had some nice tracks itself).

It looks EXACTLY like Cladun but prettier. The main problem I have with Cladun is even though your skills, party, stats are all very customizable the actual gameplay is a lot of swing, block, swing, block. Once you get past a certain point you have to play very carefully, unless I was just doing something wrong.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jannik posted:

What's the GBA emulation supposed to be like? Like which version is the one to get and does it run most (all?) games without any issues?

It's just that I grabbed gpSP-J (version 26720616 from June 16 2012) and gave FF6A a try just now, and while it wasn't bad, I wasn't too impressed.

Within 5 minutes I've had a very noticeable slowdown (for about 3 seconds) when there were 4 enemies on screen at once. And the music/sound effects all sound a bit weird, at least compared to what I remember from the SNES version. Though this might be attributed to the low quality sound used in the GBA version of the game and not the emulator?

I played through FF4A on my PC recently and didn't notice any issues. So I'm just wonder if the GBA emulator for PSP is going to cause lots of issues that are going to annoy me in the long run, or if I'm using the wrong version or trying to play the wrong game.

GBA and SNES emulation wasn't all that great on a PSP-3000 from what I tried. Weird sound issues and a bit of slowdown in some games, and completely unplayable in others. It's cool if you already have a PSP with games on it but I wouldn't get one JUST for emulation unless it's gotten much better in the last several years

For GBA emulation I keep recommending it but a Dingoo A-320 is awesome. About $100, a tiny handheld, and GBA emulation is near-perfect. So many SNES games have a GBA version too, I played through the SNES FF games on the GBA versions using this thing again. SNES emulation is passable but not perfect, and I didn't try the other emulators. I have mine loaded up with FF4-6, Super Mario Bros 2, 3, and World, the Wario GBA game, and the Castlevania GBA games.

That said if you already have a PSP with emulators I would try it out for a bit and see if it bugs you that much.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

voltron lion force posted:

I've got a PSP-3000 and the latest GBA emulator works perfectly, while the SNES one works well but seems to have some trouble with slowdown when trying to emulate mode 7 stuff.

The SNES one used to have a weird sound issue with Super Mario World, is that better now?

It was just the most glaring one to me since that's one of the most popular SNES games and the sound effects are so distinctive.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Euro gamer said there's more to the announcement than the port though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

flyboi posted:

Even though everyone poo poo all over TWEWY ios port I got it on my iPad and I very much enjoy it. I could never get into it on DS because of the controls and just not feeling it, but I've already blown through the first week today. It makes the game much more accessible although I don't understand what kind of equipment I should aim for or if I should vary because of OMG TRENDS...

I still haven't bought a single piece of equipment :saddowns:

People complained it was too expensive ($18 for iPhone, $20 for iPad and neither is universal) but anyone that bought it says it's actually a really good port. High resolution compared to the crappy DS screen with graphics updated to match and the music is actual music instead of garbled stuff. If it goes one sale I'll pick it up for sure but at $18 with no new gameplay content I can pass.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Final Fantasy Tactics on iOS? I'm considering getting it on my iPod cuz I'm a sucker for Tactics, but it sounds like it's suffering from a lot of the major bugs that the PSP version had, without really having the possibility of mods to fix them.

They patched some of the problems since release, but yeah the slowdown is still there.

My main problems with it:

-Slowdown, which you honestly get used to
-Touch controls are very finicky. A lot of the time Clicking and Dragging is more accurate than just trying to click but the game doesn't tell you this.
-The "additional" content they added in the PSP that was multiplayer stuff was removed. All the rewards for it are given just by beating the game, and it's absolutely overpowered stuff that is better than anything else you can find in the game. For some weapons they add like 3 additional tiers above the "super" weapons.

This is all offset by the fact that I have FFT on my phone whenever I feel like it and I beat the whole thing :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Anyone know if the iOS version of FFT: WotL still has the hidden classes and characters?
Everything the PSP version had.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I couldn't tell if there was much of a difference with the hidden characters but Balthier is very, very good. His default skillset is Mustadio+Upgraded Thief+A move that basically deals double damage. He can equip Javelin 2 and kill anything in a hit (he's also very fast) or use a gun and kill stuff across the map.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Weren't people excited because their gimmick was that they released it only as a Genesis game?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chef Boyardee posted:

As lead designer and musician at Tales of Game's, I can promise you that Barkley 2 will be just as, if not more mediocre than the original.
I know you guys are doing a kickstarter but as a non-US resident can I just mail you $100 and you give me the game now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Actually I remember there being a lot of hype around it, it just took forever to come out.

I'm still excited to try the demo and at least see how it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Take this with a grain of salt because I haven't played it, but everything about the Vita version of the game makes it seem like it's substantially less challenging than the original, which already wasn't a super hard game or anything. If the person is specifically seeking a challenge, then maybe P4 Golden isn't the best game to play. You can up the game's difficulty, but doing so doesn't change any of the things that make it easier, and only adds to the enemy's health and damage, only serving to make the fights take longer.

The game gives you more chances to break it, but if you're not grinding golden hands in between dungeons or getting lucky with shuffle time/random skill change to get overpowered skills early on it's challenging even on normal. I played P4 once already and I had a very tough time in Golden until I leveled from 48-60 in one dungeon trip.

The changes they've made feel like FF5 to me. The game is still challenging if you don't know what you're doing, but if you do you can turn yourself into a mini-god which some people really like in their RPGs.

Anyway Hard Mode makes you get less experience, less gold, and on top of that even if you grind to get to the same level as Normal you'll do less damage and take more. If you're really worried about an easy game you can play on that.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 6, 2012