Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SomeChump posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

It's also important to mention that this game is an indirect sequel to Space Jam.

Anyone who read that and said "eh I don't know, I might like it" just do yourself a favor and download it. I got it on a whim and then didn't actually play it until 6 months later, but it pretty much took over my weekend.

I never would have guessed that the save point speeches were actually said by anyone ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What are some more games that are in the style of the first two fallouts and Arcanum?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I played an old SNES rom that I'd like to try again. It had a really generic name like ninja quest. It was interesting in that you didn't have a preset party, but instead had this giant list of NPC characters you could randomly run into that you could fight, bribe or talk into joining you. There was also some sort of espionage side thing where you could sneak into palaces to find information, but I don't really remember how that worked.

Anyone know what I;m talking about?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
You know I almost felt bad playing Barkley that I wasn't more interested in basket ball. I feel like I'm missing a lot of the jokes. I remember that Barkley uses the line "Hey I'm no role model" quite a few times in the game. Is that a reference to something he said in an interview?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anyone ever play "Bahamut's Lagoon" on the SNES? You controlled a like 20 characters divided into several groups. The whole thing played more like FF tactics, but with each attack being one turn of a standard RPG battle. The really interesting part was that you controlled 5 dragons. Through you only controlled them in a very loose sense. They mostly do what they want, but if they like you they tend to be a lot more helpful in battle. You could feed them different things between missions to influence their stat growth and make them transform into new forms. Over all it was pretty deep with a lot of choice about who to bring into combat, where to assign them, what equipment to give them etc.

The only downside is that the story was pretty lame. I'm actually not even sure what it was the heroes were actually trying to do most of the time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Miketopus posted:

Oh yeah, I played that! It took forever to get translated, but it was a good game. What was the deal with the old guy wearing the purple cocktail dress, though?

What I want to know is what the heroes were actually trying to do. The phrase "open a door to a new era" was thrown around constantly, but I was never sure if they just meant some political change, or if this was a literal magic door of some sort. I never quite made it through the whole game and got stuck on a mission against this giant cannon.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

octobernight posted:

Is there games like Ogre Battle? I miss the mix of RTS/RPG/squad based combat. The closest I can find was Soul Nomad, but it doesn't feel the same.

Behamuts Lagoon, mentioned above, might have what you want.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what type of character to play in Arcanum? Or what to avoid?

Stay away from guns. It's the first thing a lot of people go for and they're very underpowered. If you go tech, put at least one point into explosives so you can make molatoves. Or just make a fire Mage or a melée character with tons of dexterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Lakbay posted:

Arcanum
Aww, that's disappointing. I had to remake my character since I didn't know the magick allergy background made potions useless and I was planning to go guns after I saved up some cash and found bullet schematics. How are bows? I usually try to make a ranged physical(archer, gunner) in RPGs.

Don't worry about potions. Take one tech level in medicine and you can make technological healing potions out of these flowers that are growing everywhere. Guns aren't useless, they're just not really as good as magic and melee. The main drawback is that to use guns well you have to pump up your preception which doesn't get used much by anything else. If you use melee you have to pump up your dex, which also let's you dodge, steal, pick locks, etc.