Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

York_M_Chan posted:

My plays tend to be a lot more bare-boned than my screenplays. I try not to put as much tonal direction i.e. BRADLEY: (Curiously) But why have you chosen brown slacks? I would just leave out the "curiously" and leave it up to the director/actors to determine the tone. I also leave out most of the movement direction. Instead of "Bradley pulls the closet door open, runs his fingers along the fibers of her Angora sweaters, then yanks one viciously from the hanger." I would just put "Bradley crosses to the closet and takes out the sweater." I don't know why I do that, probably because I think plays are made to be done over and over again with a different motif and view with each new performance depending on the troupe while film is meant to be done once in a very defined way.

I'm working on a commissioned play at the moment that's being workshopped in a few weeks and of all the things I've learned during the process (it's as much a development programme as it is a commission that I'm involved in), this is one of the biggest. Trust the actors and the director to find the tone and the energy, even if it's not what you thought it would be - cutting down tonal direction and movement (not completely, just in comparison to a screenplay) is key in this, because it gives them a lot more freedom to move.

Also, Griff, drop into the Theatre Thread if you haven't already - there's some playwrights and actors over there who could give you a lot of pointers (not that Magic Hate Ball's advice isn't excellent, because it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

MixMasterGriff posted:

EDIT: Holy gently caress, writing comedy plays is hard. All my favorite comedic plays are musicals, Avenue Q, The Producers, The Book of Mormon. Without the singing, I'm kind of lost.

Should I try doing that, or is that the equivalent of going full-retard?

If you want to write a musical, write a musical. Might make it a bit harder to get produced, but I wouldn't refrain from writing something because you're afraid people won't like it. It's a risk you always take.

I feel your pain re: comedy though. The play I'm working on at the moment has taken a pretty hard turn into black comedy over the last couple of drafts (the first draft was needlessly serious and tone-deaf, among other problems) and making jokes feel both natural and funny is a hard game to play at. I find it helps getting a really solid idea of who your characters are first - it allows to come up with more organic jokes because you know the personalities at play. That said, I'm just a new writer and you do not need to listen to me because it's likely none of my jokes work and I'm the worst person to talk to. :D

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

York_M_Chan posted:

I have the same problem. I would recommend seeing the film 3-Iron and do exercises, just write short scenes of no dialogue.

Just any film by Kim Ki-duk, really. He is exceptional at advancing the plot through actions rather than words. 3-Iron is the apex, but Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter...and Spring, Bad Guy, Samaritan Girl and The Isle would all be massively helpful in terms of seeing how it's done.

And that's my gush about Kim Ki-duk.

• Locked thread