Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I wasn't gonna write the whole thing FOR HIM, I just figured since I knew him maybe he could do it. Don't worry, I'm good at this networking stuff :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Can someone get Sorkin to adapt this please, I want to see this on HBO by Fall of 2012, no exceptions.

Don't worry, I claimed it for us.

Griff M. posted:

This is like a retarded teenager version of The Wire, and I loving love it.

I'm claiming this thread for the Creative Convention screenwriting guild, there's (more) morally questionable greenbacks to be made here!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Rewatched "The Muppets" in theaters and goddamn do I feel much more confident about my writing. Like, if this is considered an 'B+' through'A-' film, there's hope for us yet.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
There were some huge, fundamental flaws with the Muppets, and those flaws definitely didn't fall on the director.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Coming up with ideas is easy, coming up with simple ideas is more challenging.

Gaaaaah.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
There are a couple of great short tutorials written by Dan Harmon, who is the creator of Community.

Here is Part one

Here is part 2 (this is actually part three but I left out part two because it's boring and not super relevant at this point)

Here is part 3/4/whateverthefuck

Hope that helps. Obviously this doesn't apply to EVERY movie, but this structure and "circle graph" saves my life on a daily basis and can be found in some form in basically any TV show and movie.

Good luck!

EDIT: People should bump this more often. I usually want to post in here, but I don't want to double-post, so I don't. We gotta stick together!

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 27, 2011

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I pitched my webshow to Frederator, so I'm waiting on them mostly. In the meantime I'm working on a short film, again for Frederator, and am attempting to write it.

Leaving on a sabbatical to Boston tomorrow to crank out the script with the co-creator and artist, who's actually a goon. She's rad.

Happy early New Years! woo!

Good luck on the project York. :)

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I have from now until late June to conceive, prepare, and write my first feature screenplay to get credit for this class.

Let's do this.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Here's a dumb thing that's been plaguing me, and I need you guys to help me snap out of it.

I have an idea for an action-comedy film, a lot like Ghostbusters in writing style and tone. I'd like to write it and see it get made, but have this huge internal fear that someone will buy it and turn it into "Epic Movie," and by that I mean a lovely dumb film that everyone hates.

Rewrites happen in this industry, and I accept that, but I'm just stricken by the idea of writing brilliance and then having it turned into something absolutely awful.

Any kind words to help conquer this?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

Now, how to deal with having your name attached to a terrible movie that you were maybe 7% responsible for? I'm not even going to pretend I can help with that.

Yeah, that's the killer part for me. If it was a terrible movie, I would just cash my check and move on, but the fact I would forever be BRANDED with that terribleness? That's what's scaring me.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Sporadic posted:

Watch Tales Of The Script and take solace in the fact that, even if you hit the lottery of selling it, it will most likely die in preproduction. Or like the scriptwriters say throughout the interviews "if you want complete creative control of your work, go write a play" :v:

Hah, thank you. I'm feeling a lot better now. Time to write!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Jesus Christ, Griffin.

Write. The page is open. Stop browsing Reddit. Stop posting on SA. Write. Write words. No, put your pants back on. No Backdoor Sluts 9. Just write the loving - Griffin I mean it. Now.

There has to be a better way to do this! Gahhh

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I still don't know who the characters are because I'm a sack of poo poo, but in terms of actual writing and jokes, I think it's very solid. The characters play off each other and I get a sense for who these people are despite not being familiar with the show.

Good work!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Finished the outline of this spec script last night, and have started it today. It's ridiculous how much easier it is now that I have a guide to stick to.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this before. I'm much more productive, and the writing seems much less daunting a task. Hooray!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Sporadic posted:

This is what I keep telling myself as I struggle to put together my own outline. It may not be as fun as diving right in but it should also do away with those horrible moments of staring at the screen, watching the cursor blink, hoping for an idea to come.

I've definitely had to do some reworking of the outline, tweaking when things aren't right, but the framework is there, and so it makes it just a ton easier. Also, it's a 22 minute television program, so I managed to do the outline in just over an hour of solid work. I ended up editing it, sure, but still, the length makes it a lot easier.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
This spec is my catharsis. It's a kids show and each episode has a moral lesson at the end. My lesson? "If you keep jumping from project to project without finishing any of them, you're not learning or improving and are only hurting yourself." Also known as "The creative process of Griff for the last three years."

I don't know why, but putting it all out on paper seems to have fixed my internalized problem. I don't feel the need to jump to another project or start a new "better" project, I just want to finish this spec, revise it, and make it the best it can be.

Forcing myself to actually sit down and write it? Well, I guess we can only hope for so much improvement at a time :3:

I'm gonna get this done. I got this. :)

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
By the way, if anyone wants to add me on AIM/Gchat so we can consult and keep each other sane, feel free to PM me. I don't have enough people to pester for help, and I'm always glad to give feedback and advice too, although I'll be the first to admit I'm hardly an authority.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Wow, congrats man, that is super awesome.

Kick rear end! :)

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I'm working on my first feature, and so far I'm off to a rough start.

I think this idea is a diamond, but I feel like the writing isn't stepping up to the plate. It's not terrible, but I just don't think it's quite "there" yet. Obviously there will be LOTS of drafts, but is this feeling of "meh" normal? It's seriously bumming me out.

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 12, 2012

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I finished the first draft of my Aqua Teen Hunger Force spec today! :aaa: :clint:

Any ATHF fans here that would like to gimme notes? I'd really appreciate it!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
The second draft is done!

Hell to the yes.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
It's still blowing my mind how much work I'm doing this summer script-wise. First spec done, the 1st draft of the second spec is like 40% done, and the third is in planning. I feel so responsible!

How's it going for you guys?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Griff, your specs are only 12 pages. Tell me when you breeze through a screenplay.

Gee, thanks :jerkbag:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Just teasing, man. Your notes really helped my rewrite.

I love you too :3:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Just finished the first draft of my "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" spec. Anyone wanna give it a read?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I wrote this :)

It's my first Screen Credit! Also, features College Humor's Amir Blumenfeld.

I'm awfully proud of myself :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tVzCGrzFS0

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Sporadic posted:

Where was that humor in the spec script you sent me to read? ;)

My Aqua Teen spec is loving baller as hell, don't be a scrub :dukedog:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Last night, I sat down, and I wrote. I said "Okay, I want to write about a kid who's moving and doesn't want to move, and down the line there's monsters." And that's it. No huge outline, no characters sheets, nothing. I just wrote.

And it was amazing!!!

I feel scandalous.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Do people still post in this thread?

I've come to the conclusion that the more time I spend on a script's first draft, the less likely it will ever see completion. So now I'm trying to figure out the fine line between getting it done quickly and it being a slop-job.

Any thoughts?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Is anyone here familiar with Takashi Miike's "Ichi the Killer?"

My screenplay is somewhat similar, and admittedly inspired by that film, and I was hoping someone could look over the first 7 pages of the screenplay and tell me if you think it's too close.

It's a first draft, so obviously it's rough, but I'd really appreciate it.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
What's up fizellas?

How're y'all doing? I've been writing some hot words and raging against the machine, and by machine I mean 'the industrial military complex that is Final Draft'

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Holy poo poo, a project and a deadline? Good. It's go-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Balance of Terror is a really well written episode of Star Trek

• Locked thread