Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Haymaker_Betty posted:

That's a very good point.

I was considering doing it mockumentary style a la Best in Show. I love mockumentaries myself--Spinal Tap is so loving funny I can't even stand it, and Best in Show is right up there ("IT'S A BEE! THAT'S NOT A BEE!")--and I thought a mockumentary could still have lovable characters and be accurate to the source, but also have that added benefit of being a little cynical for an audience of people jaded by movies of and about video games.

That could totally work, but I'd do my research first. I'm poo poo at research so I couldn't tell you where to begin; maybe if you can track down that Real Sports segment, get a quick overview of what a pro-gaming career involves? If you want a glimpse at the darker (goonier) side, look into a guy named -- god help me I'm gonna gently caress up the spelling -- Aris Baktahnians. The short version is that he's a fat bearded gently caress who regularly competed (competes?) in fighting game tournaments. A couple of years ago he defended the use of misogynistic language during matches over a tournament livestream, basically calling pro-gaming a man's dominion and demanding that female competitors deal with it.

Whatever you find yourself looking at, the goal would be to figure out the appeal of this community and all its little idiosyncrasies. That'll help you pull together various characterizations and motivations and figure out where you want to go with this overall; what you admire, what you despise, what's worth cracking jokes over, what you want to take seriously. Keep your mind open and see if you can find a story worth telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Haymaker_Betty posted:

Okay so quick update:

I'm not writing this movie for them. I literally do not care anymore. The plot this dude wants for the film--he wants me to just write the plot he's decided I should write, which is... ugh--is so terrible I can't even stand it. He wants a heist movie, in which 6 Korean-American students from MIT join the CIA and then overthrow Kim Jong Un by pulling off this big scam or heist that makes Un look bad so the people of N. Korea get angry and toss him out on his rear end, and then everyone goes back to America for medals and ice cream. Ayup.

I could go into why I think that movie is bad...

...but you really don't have to. Holy gently caress that's terrible. I expect some people are going to tell you that you should expect to eat some poo poo as you try to build a career, and they're not wrong, but don't think you didn't do the right thing here. If nothing else, there's no sense wasting months of your life on a pitch that you're not feeling.

Just keep doing your thing and find other ways to put yourself out there. At the very least you're doing better than most people are.

...Jesus. Literally overthrowing Kim Jon Un. Couldn't just dig up Val Verde, it had to be North Korea. loving Jesus.

I bet his favorite movie is The Experts. I bet he backed (or would have backed) the Atlas Shrugged Part III Kickstarter.

Yes, they needed at least three movies to adapt Atlas Shrugged.

Yes, the adaptation of The Objectivist Bible is being funded by Kickstarter.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Haymaker_Betty posted:

...my mom's friend was not aware he wasn't paying up front either, so like I said she's a little... upset with him.

Hey, you mentioned feeling guilty about this earlier ("I hope I haven't caused a rift")? Don't. The way I see it, you're a craftsman. Like any craftsman, if you're commissioned for a work, you should expect to be paid for the time and effort that your contractor cannot expend himself. That's how his beloved capitalism works (again, I can't help but see this guy as anything other than a Randian douche), and it's HIS fault for not getting that.

Your mother's friend is pissed at her husband for trying to exploit a cherished friendship, not because you saw through it and told him to gently caress off. If you're still carrying that weight, drop it.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 24, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Haymaker_Betty posted:

I'm trying to. Turns out they were going to pay me $1000 for labor, and then I'd get money if the movie was made into something.

Which wouldn't happen because oh my GOD who would buy that?

Take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt. I'm not in the trenches. I invite anyone who is to come in, laugh me out of this thread, and set the record straight.

Even at a thousand dollars I'd still say you were getting shorted for labor. I mean, let's look at it from a pure labor standpoint: Let's assume this script takes you three months to complete between all your drafts, and you work at it 4 hours a day, including weekends.

90 days X 4 hours per day = 360 hours.

360 X $7.25 aka current federal minimum wage = $2,610

In contrast, $1,000 / 360 hours = roughly $2.78 an hour.

So from a pure labor standpoint, any offer of one thousand + additional payment on sale should be answered with "Kiss me." (Of course, that's for three months of work: run the numbers for 30 days as opposed to 90 and $1K becomes a generous offer.) But of course, we're not paid by the hour, we're paid for our product. And if he's looking to raise $20M for his movie...well, I'm REASONABLY sure that if you look at any breakdowns of similarly budgeted movies, initial script expenses would fall into the low five figures. So if he wants to make a $20M movie, then it's a matter of putting his money where his mouth is and being willing to buy a script for a $20M movie. The price may vary depending on the quality of the script, but most anything short of wiping your rear end on 90 sheets of printer paper is going to be worth more than a grand.

Granted, there's the added complication that he's a friend of the family, but...this is why you don't do business with friends.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 24, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zypher posted:

Good point Magic.

You could change the structure to something like:

A quiet bookworm suffers a jealous ex-boyfriend's wrath when he tries to help his cheerleader crush do better in school.

But it still needs to be plus-ed a bit to make clear it's the bookworms crush not the ex-boyfriends crush.

How about this:

A quiet bookworm agrees to tutor his cheerleader crush, but suffers the wrath of her aggressive ex-boyfriend.

Suggests the ex's jealous motivations AND his athletic background, and draws a clear conflict of personalities between protagonist and antagonist.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Golden Bee posted:

Specific Song by Specific Band isn't that bad. It shows specificity. If your script is good, it's more fun than "Big Band swing plays from below". And if I look up the song and like it, that's a + for you; it shows you have good taste.

But is there something to be said about you having to put down the script to look it up in the first place?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know what I'm noticing in my script? People sure do like to breathe a lot. "He breathes." "She takes a breath." "Her breath stops...and slowly...comes...back." "He calculates...breathes...and pulls away." I'm mostly using it as shorthand for "This character is thinking," though I'm not afraid to say "He thinks about this" when more appropriate. (Whether that's a good instinct is another matter.) I'm not entirely sure I'm overusing it and I'm gonna wait for beta reads to find out, but are there other actions I should consider?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Golden Bee posted:

Unless you're Pinter, you can't overuse [BEAT].

[A PAUSE].

[He sighs.]
Or even a line break in dialogue.

I like the idea of using line breaks, but I always thought everything else fell under the "don't use wrylies" rule and was seen as directing on the page.

...Not that I apparently gave a gently caress before now, but still.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Lethemonster posted:

I'm reading through 'Save the Cat' at the moment and I don't know if I should persevere with it. On the one hand I am interested in reading how people get their work done, tips they've learnt, etc. But on the other he frequently references scripts of his, and there isn't a single one so far that doesn't sound like the shittiest idea put to paper. He describes them all as hilarious and brilliant but good god they sounds like the predecessors to 'Vampires Suck' et al.

Sure, Blake Snyder's ideas sound awful on paper, but they look like sheer anti-comedy in motion.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Lucubrations posted:

Any tips on how to FIND writers? I work at a video game company and we're having a hard time finding experienced writers who play video games and can produce the kind of writing we want. Some of our best writers come from a TV background but we grabbed them from our personal networks and now that well is dry :(.

Yeah, if I wasn't a little certain that it would just annoy you (I've got maybe one screenplay in my portfolio) I'd ask where I could apply.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

As far as a portfolio I've got maybe one screenplay I can show you and it's not fantasy-oriented, so I don't know if you even want to bother. But I can't help but be curious. If you're willing to talk, shoot me an e-mail at "divisionpost -at- mac -dot- com" and let's see if we're a good fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Golden Bee posted:

...make sure to ask "What are you working on" after a good pitch.

I hate to ask a really loving stupid question, but what kind of answers should I want to hear? What answers are red flags?

• Locked thread