Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Count posted:

I don't think this clarification (it's a "Q&A") is necessary, just helpful. It's entirely possible to read the new rules and understand the meaning fully. But this is a sport played and officiated by a wide range of people with a wide range of language skills and critical thinking, and today many of those people would be rushing to the internet to yell "But what does EFFORTS mean, really?"

There is no clear legal distinction between the Rules and the Q&As, except that the Rules are written in a formal style with a specific set of words with specific contextual meanings. Because they are "legal" writings, the specific meaning of individual words is argued about. The Q&As are written in a more informal style, and do not lend themselves to such masturbatory deep analysis over language, focusing the readers attention on the specific scenarios spelled out. This is helpful to many readers, because it increases the educational content of the rules, while not swamping the rules in :words: of dry legalese that make it even harder to understand the core concept.

I'm only an amateur lawyer, and a professional computer programmer, so I surely tend toward thinking it's possible to spell things out unambiguously. But this analysis strikes me as completely 100% spot on. You write the base rules (or laws) as unambiguously as you can, and then you have officials (or judges) interpret those and bicker about the details and implications for months (or decades) to come.

I don't have a problem with the rules clarification, provided no new rules are introduced. So far I haven't seen rules clarifications introduce any new rules. I'm glad to see someone state that the standardized practices are not actually rules, but unfortunately this is the first time anybody's ever suggested that to me. Every other NSO I've come into contact with has either been green, or felt that the standardized practices are THE ALMIGHTY WORD OF GOD.

I'm going to stick with your take on this from now on, The Count! And be glad I still have my day job, where we only bicker about things that matter, like whether vi or emacs is superior for manipulating text files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

The Count posted:

I'm in favour of anything that doesn't add more words to the rule book.

Word count of the WFTDA rule book, excluding table of contents/glossary/addenda:

2010: 21,000
2013: 22,000
2014: 23,500

The Count posted:

They kind of wrote themselves into a hole. I think there was deep distrust of referees back in the day, probably caused by referees being all over the place on the rules, because the rules were terrible. So every little thing that confused referees got clauses added to the rules, and anything that gave interpretive or discretionary power to the referees was taken out of the rules where possible. This fed back into more inefficient and bad writing in the rules, rinse and repeat.

During this whole timeframe - perhaps due to the increasing wordiness of the rules - the culture arose that every thing that wasn't spelled out in the rules was fair game. The penalty section has come to dominate the rules, as the game is now "what can we do that doesn't get us a penalty". This feeds back into specifying even more things in the rules (penalties and no-penalties), although at least the writing is improving and they are becoming more consistent over time.

It looks like over the last year or so the WFTDA is focusing more on big picture changes and avoiding unintended interactions. Some of the stuff we don't like about derby may be here to stay, maybe it'll get cleaned up next year. But the WFTDA derby game style has to change in order to make the rules less convoluted, I think.

1000% on the money. There are too many exceptions in the rules because there are certain things players "want" to do that necessarily break up the consistency in the WFTDA game. For example, players want to be able to skate back to recycle jammers, but in allowing this the rules on direction of gameplay, destruction of pack, cutting, etc. are extremely wordy, since they need to explain every single scenario of when clockwise movement is legal, initiating clockwise contact is not, whether or not contact is actually clockwise or counter-clockwise, and who did or did not initiate that contact.

If it was consistent (and in line with derby historically) all stopping/clockwise movement and contact would be illegal, and you'd only really need one or two rules to cover all those bases. At the moment, the WFTDA has something like three or four pages to explain it in different sections, and even then it's not always clear to players and refs.

I was skimming through WFTDA rules last night, and even though I know them and the game quite well I was still getting a headache trying to process them. I don't want to bring up USARS rules for the sake of bringing them up, but it's pretty clear that they know how to write a rule book given how they seem to incorporate the text of the rule and the explanations/clarifications into the same document.

It helps that there are very, very few inconsistencies in the USARS game (hence their rulebook having less than 10,000 words), but dare I say, rule book writing is an area where the WFTDA could stand to learn from USARS. Not that they'd ever want to.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Can you post a link? Our penalty timer was having a bitch of a time running single stop watch for 00:30 penalties and none of the apps were updated.

Mr. Powers, I appear to have seriously overestimated the speed with which Google pushes app updates. It's been almost 24 hours and out of 580 installs, only 35 have the newest version.

Your best bet at this point is to uninstall if you have it already, and re-install from the app store. I can't do anything to push it out quicker, sorry.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

In honor of the Ninjapan Rollers just being generally uber-popular and amazing at the Men's World Cup, I've re-uploaded to YouTube Japan's first world cup appearance…23 years ago. Versus Team USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W60wYwOP_b8

That is roller derby on steroids. Oh, and every jam in that video is a power jam.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

WindyMan posted:

In honor of the Ninjapan Rollers just being generally uber-popular and amazing at the Men's World Cup, I've re-uploaded to YouTube Japan's first world cup appearance…23 years ago. Versus Team USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W60wYwOP_b8

That is roller derby on steroids. Oh, and every jam in that video is a power jam.

I do miss the prevalence of whips from the times before "advanced strategies" were a thing. Blockers seem to be too preoccupied to give their jammer a helping hand now.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Yeah, preoccupied standing there while their jammer fights through the wall of opposing blockers.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Me, recently:

"Man, I just moved to a new town and don't know anyone, I need to find something to d-- what is this "roller derby" business?"

*goes to bout*

"Yeah, I'm going to do this."

Just went to my first practice last week, this poo poo rules.

Also after skimming this thread I'm pretty sure (lol, 100% sure) that the team captain posts here. :ninja:

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Me, recently:

"Man, I just moved to a new town and don't know anyone, I need to find something to d-- what is this "roller derby" business?"

*goes to bout*

"Yeah, I'm going to do this."

Just went to my first practice last week, this poo poo rules.

Also after skimming this thread I'm pretty sure (lol, 100% sure) that the team captain posts here. :ninja:
gently caress, its not me is it

e: its definitely me looking at post history, WHO ARE YOU

downtimejesus fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 7, 2014

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
So DNN is doing a livestream round up of sorts and I plan on doing a big broadcast on Sundays of teams that send me videos of their games. If you have a bout, especially if its a sanctioned bout, that you want broadcasted, let me know. I'm trying to convince them to restart the dnn.tv thing they had going for them. Even if they don't I'll still end up doing a big sunday broadcast of everyone who sends me footage.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

what if the bout doesnt have sound?

i might be able to give you capital city hooligans v chicago bruise brothers but our microphone hosed up and there's no sound on the video.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

downtimejesus posted:

what if the bout doesnt have sound?

i might be able to give you capital city hooligans v chicago bruise brothers but our microphone hosed up and there's no sound on the video.

I'd put it as either the opening bout I'd run and make mention that there's no sound. Is the scoreboard in the picture? If you get your sound issues fixed and you want to run more bouts past me that's fine as well.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

downtimejesus posted:

gently caress, its not me is it

e: its definitely me looking at post history, WHO ARE YOU

Haha, it is. PM en route.

edit:

downtimejesus posted:

post history

:ohdear: I promise I'm not a huge douche irl.

FIDEL CASHFLOW fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 7, 2014

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

#rollerderbygoons

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

WindyMan posted:

#rollerderbygoons

It's bound to happen.

Ahh, UPS just pulled into my complex. Remember kids, don't drink and Amazon. (I won't have to borrow skates or pro-gear tonight, :woop: )

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

It's bound to happen.

Ahh, UPS just pulled into my complex. Remember kids, don't drink and Amazon. (I won't have to borrow skates or pro-gear tonight, :woop: )

I got my new ref jersey in the mail today and I wish instead of getting POWERS 1888 on it I had them print Mr. Powers 1888 because of that awesome #rollerderbygoons pseudohashtag.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

WindyMan posted:

#rollerderbygoons

Represent!

One well-known skater has the same skater name as her SA name, and even though I haven't bothered to check, I'm going to claim that she had the SA account first!

E: Or, you know, maybe they're two totally different people! But don't tell me, okay, I like this fantasy.

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 8, 2014

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!

cruft posted:

Represent!

One well-known skater has the same skater name as her SA name, and even though I haven't bothered to check, I'm going to claim that she had the SA account first!

E: Or, you know, maybe they're two totally different people! But don't tell me, okay, I like this fantasy.

That isn't me… but I did take my skater name Mandaryn Crush from my old nickname/online handle that I wanted to reinvent.

wig wam bam
Aug 11, 2011

Oh... :(

In other news, I purchased new wheels - Bont Royal Assasins

They're just dreamy :allears:
I tried them out for the first time on a polished floor board court, and they are surprisingly grippy for 92As. Also they are oh so light, and I noticed the weight reduction immediately. Less fatigue in my legs, and I felt more agile for sure.
Will be skating on a traditional rink within the next week, will post a better trip report afterwards.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

They look too wide for me. I'd love to get a 72x30 wheel with a nice light hub like that.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Are those wheels really $180 for 8 AND you have to buy micro bearings(which are another $60)?
:psyduck:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

downtimejesus posted:

Are those wheels really $180 for 8 AND you have to buy micro bearings(which are another $60)?

Don't forget that because of the thin urethane, they'll need to be replaced sooner.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

downtimejesus posted:

Oh god, the golf effect has finally come to roller skating.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

wig wam bam posted:

In other news, I purchased new wheels - Bont Royal Assasins

They're just dreamy :allears:
I tried them out for the first time on a polished floor board court, and they are surprisingly grippy for 92As. Also they are oh so light, and I noticed the weight reduction immediately. Less fatigue in my legs, and I felt more agile for sure.
Will be skating on a traditional rink within the next week, will post a better trip report afterwards.
They better be pretty good for a 20% premium on Rollerbones Turbos, which is my GF's gold standard wheel these days. Have you tried those, how do they compare?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Shock and awe swept the internet today as onlookers realized that people have opinions.

http://rollinnews.com/post/in-her-hips-theres-revolution

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

Shock and awe swept the internet today as onlookers realized that people have opinions.

http://rollinnews.com/post/in-her-hips-theres-revolution

As a dude that has no desire to play I am agreeing with her from the sidelines. Overall anyway, I'm sure I could nitpick something to disagree with.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

that girl has played a grand total of one scrimmage, hth

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Who's forcing her to play with guys? I play co Ed and have no problems with them whatsoever. The girl power thing is bullshit. I think whoever wants to play should play. Don't like it? Don't play!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cryosleep posted:

Who's forcing her to play with guys? I play co Ed and have no problems with them whatsoever. The girl power thing is bullshit. I think whoever wants to play should play. Don't like it? Don't play!

I think it's inevitable that as the sport grows up, it will pick up or lose elements that cause people to become disinterested. I have to admit that the female empowerment angle is what drew me to Roller Derby at first. But it is ultimately a sport, and any social messages associated with it are secondary to its success as a sport. The fact that men are interested in playing it is just a testament to it being interesting (despite the power jam thing). More people would be upset if men were excluded.

I'm probably going to spin away pretty soon because of WFTDA's inexorable march toward being a professional sport. And, honestly, because my partner is ready for something new (probably rugby). I'd like it to stay grass roots, but I'm just a comet in the solar system that is derby, swooping in occasionally with something cool, then being flung far away again.

It's probably best not to place too much stock in these individual manifestos. Even my non-ending tirade against WFTDA's legal team. They're doing okay, heading in mostly the right direction. They're making mistakes, sure, and people are rage quitting. But that's inevitable in any human endeavor. Roller Derby is doing okay.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think having men's derby around is a good thing. It's not better or worse, it's different. It's more about speed and power as opposed to finesse. Interestingly, I noticed that once a men's league got happening around here, the better players on the women's teams loved to scrimmage with the men because they could go all out with their aggressive play and a lot of them ended up integrating more of the speed and power elements into their own personal skill set and made them more rounded players.

Men's derby is not a threat to women's derby. Men's derby is great to watch, but women's derby is what people pay to see. Men's derby is a fringe sport of a fringe sport.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

HPL posted:

Men's derby is not a threat to women's derby. Men's derby is great to watch, but women's derby is what people pay to see. Men's derby is a fringe sport of a fringe sport.

At the moment, it is. I can't imagine a future scenario where roller derby will fall in line with any other sport at the highest level: The men's version of the game will be preferred over the women's version of the game, provided they stay seperate. At least, in terms of spectator demand, ticket sales, and the sponsorship dollars that inevitably follow those things.

There may not be finesse in the men's game now, but guys are certainly capable of playing that way and will learn to do so as everyone's derby knowledge continues to expand. But while women can be fast and strong, they can never collectively have the raw speed or strength that men are ultimately capable of. That is the unfortunate reality women face in physical sports, as seen in the obvious difference in popularity of men's and women's sports in general.

Probably the biggest reason why roller derby is my favoritest game ever is that the physical-capabilities gap between men and women, which is definitely there, affects roller derby the least in that it doesn't take away from the perceived entertainment value of the game. (At least, in games where players need to skate and be active at all times.) Skating (AHEM) is the great equalizer, they say.

In the amateur ranks, women will remain the superior version of the game, if only because of the sheer number of them playing it and the level of competition there is among them. I think that's awesome, and I hope that doesn't change. But at the top levels, and whatever level is next after WFTDA/MRDA, men's derby will either be an equal draw or the main draw.

I really, really, really want it to be an equal draw. Call me old fashioned, but I feel men and women should be on the same team, like it has traditionally always been done. It will ultimately be the only way to prevent a similar gap between men's and women's derby at some future higher level. Plus, I think it would be super-cool to be the only modern sport that integrates the ladies and the gents like that.

Likeatron
Sep 14, 2012
The issue that I think mainly prompted that article, in the UK at least, is at the moment with derby being even more of a fringe sport than in the States the purely financial considerations of hosting bootcamps is that most leagues cannot afford to exclude anyone from buying tickets if they are paying for the best skaters to travel over from America to coach. This does mean as she says that the top level ones are mostly coed, and if you do follow the 'don't like it, don't play it' path then you can in theory lose out on the best coaching opportunities.

On the other hand the league that skater is part of is one of the top thirty or so in Europe, and I would be surprised if they couldn't organise a female-only bootcamp and sell all the tickets if they wanted to. Perhaps her frustration is that she could be in the minority within her own league, let alone the British derby community - I can understand being frustrated at something you joined for certain reasons seemingly being changed and it feeling like the rug is being pulled out from under your feet.

I know skaters at smaller (or lower level) leagues whose abilities far outstrip most of their team mates' and feel a certain amount of frustration at having to scrim in training at 50% because if they went all out there would be little contest, and for them getting to train and scrim with men's leagues helps them improve and get to enjoy being given a rough physical challenge. I ref a lot of coed scrimmage and at the top level especially it gives me a challenge as well as being exciting to watch.

Seeing a 5'2" female skater executing a perfectly timed hit with finesse, rather than just brute force, that sends a 6' guy sprawling across the track is an impressive sight... :)

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Just wanted to say that going from awful "Hey, this entire set is $20 on Amazon" knee pads to actual good ones is amazing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Just wanted to say that going from awful "Hey, this entire set is $20 on Amazon" knee pads to actual good ones is amazing.

Depends how often you use them. Mine are pushing 5 years old now but being a ref I rarely if ever fall on them so it's nbd if they slip around a bit. I've had to replace my elbow pads (lost one) and wrist guards (velco hooks deteriorated) though.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

Depends how often you use them. Mine are pushing 5 years old now but being a ref I rarely if ever fall on them so it's nbd if they slip around a bit. I've had to replace my elbow pads (lost one) and wrist guards (velco hooks deteriorated) though.

For sure, I just started getting to do contact at practice and it is most definitely an improvement over the cheap ones. The cheapo wrist and elbow pads are fine for now, though.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

How many of you are going to Spring Roll this year?

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
At Beach Brawl in Ft Lauderdale. Fantastic derby today. Stockholm vs Houston was a nail-biter till the end.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
One week till the Thin Air Throwdown. Gotham, Windy, Rocky Mountain, and Denver.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Cryosleep posted:

At Beach Brawl in Ft Lauderdale. Fantastic derby today. Stockholm vs Houston was a nail-biter till the end.

I'm here with Steel City. Looking forward to our bout against Stockholm tomorrow. They look like a challenge.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Zexerous posted:

How many of you are going to Spring Roll this year?

I'll be there with Twin City not repeating the mistake of missing it like with Skate to Thrill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!

bgreman posted:

I'm here with Steel City. Looking forward to our bout against Stockholm tomorrow. They look like a challenge.

Can't wait for that game. I think it'll be well attended after yesterday's craziness.

Saw the Tampa vs Steel City game yesterday, it was fantastic. I love great derby.

Cryosleep fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 4, 2014

• Locked thread