Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

WhiteHowler posted:

I went to see my local roller derby team tonight.

They did not disappoint.

Haha, what sort of venue is this? I've been to bouts played in old Masonic temples, livestock exhibition halls, and all manner of wacky places, but can't figure this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

bgreman posted:

Haha, what sort of venue is this? I've been to bouts played in old Masonic temples, livestock exhibition halls, and all manner of wacky places, but can't figure this one out.

Looks like maybe a school hall, though a lot of those seem to double as basketball courts. Maybe a low-budget school hall.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
It's an event hall that has an open area in front of a stage. The open area can be used for floor seating for the stage like in a concert or play, if it isn't being used for things like basketball or a roller derby game. Angel City plays its public games in a space like this.

Not that they play many public games anymore.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

WindyMan posted:

It's an event hall that has an open area in front of a stage. The open area can be used for floor seating for the stage like in a concert or play, if it isn't being used for things like basketball or a roller derby game. Angel City plays its public games in a space like this.

Not that they play many public games anymore.

If their private/practice space is the same one it was when we played them in 2013, it's pretty neat. They've got it decked out pretty well to support roller derby, with offices, too, I think. If I recall, it does have a couple pillars about the space (like Toronto's venue, or Gotham's practice space). I hate pillars in derby venues. They're bad for sightlines, not to mention the necessity for padding them so they take up even more space. I guess you can overlook them if the venue has enough other amenities.

To be honest, I like our team practicing where it bouts, in a good ole fashioned skating rink.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

bgreman posted:

It's a masonic/shiners temple. I have some better pictures, but will need to hunt them down. Lots of portraits of old white guys in fezzes in the lobby, and little engraved nameplates on every seat.

As far as running up the score, I think there's a (semi-good-natured?) rivalry between the two teams.

I don't know much at all about derby. A couple I'm friends with are heavily involved (she's on the team, he's their venue announcer), and my wife and I try to catch a few home bouts each year.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

bgreman posted:

If their private/practice space is the same one it was when we played them in 2013, it's pretty neat. They've got it decked out pretty well to support roller derby, with offices, too, I think. If I recall, it does have a couple pillars about the space (like Toronto's venue, or Gotham's practice space). I hate pillars in derby venues. They're bad for sightlines, not to mention the necessity for padding them so they take up even more space. I guess you can overlook them if the venue has enough other amenities.

To be honest, I like our team practicing where it bouts, in a good ole fashioned skating rink.

Probably I've seen with most skating rinks is the lack of clearance around the outside, as well as horrifying poo poo like handrails. If you find a rink that's big enough never let it go (under)!

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

As far as running up the score, I think there's a (semi-good-natured?) rivalry between the two teams.

I was making a half hearted joke on that front. Depending on how the two teams are ranked they would pretty much have to run up the score otherwise they could potentially go down in rankings despite winning.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Poles on the inside are the worst. FIPR usually skates backwards. It was a rite of passage for visiting refs at our old warehouse to skate into them backwards. They required you to either skate next to the track making it hard to see a spread pack, or back behind it making it difficult to see past the pole. It was a pain in the rear end.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

A local filmmaker is trying to make a documentary about our (SCRD's) A-Team. Check it aht, donate if you think it might be cool. I'm barely in it!

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Watching the banked track at Rollercon. This looks terrifying! Also, they're gonna have a banked track game here using WFTDA rules. Should be...interesting to watch.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Cryosleep posted:

Watching the banked track at Rollercon. This looks terrifying! Also, they're gonna have a banked track game here using WFTDA rules. Should be...interesting to watch.

Yeah, I want to see video of the banked track WFTDA rules game. It's going to be a shitshow and amazing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Yeah, I want to see video of the banked track WFTDA rules game. It's going to be a shitshow and amazing.

I took HD video on my cell phone from a camera platform. I'm processing it and stabilizing it overnight, but I need to get an OK from the powers that be at RollerCon to make sure I'm allowed to upload the whole thing since I'm media and there are rules for us.

Can confirm: It was a shitshow and amazing. It was just an informal scrimmage, but that didn't stop the following things from happening:

- A blocker got hit out of the track under the rail after a jammer crashed into a stationary pack blob (she was fine). This would only happen about once every 10~12 games in regular banked/RDCL play. But WFTDA wasted no time!

- A blocker skating clockwise on a jammer runback crashed into her jammer coming in after she got bumped down into the same lane unexpectedly (they were fine). A gentle collision all things considered, but it was almost guaranteed to happen.

- A dropped jammer cover was surrounded by 3 blockers trying to prevent is retrieval for about 15-20 seconds. Dumb.

But the informality of it meant it was fun, too. No refs there, just two patrolling skaters and the jam timer. The RDCL ref crew that came for the shitshow acted as an outside "refereeing committee" to call penalties they saw, which was hilarious.

There was that moment when someone did a reverse apex jump to get a jammer recycle, which is cool until you realize that someone could kind of die if a jammer did a regular apex jump at high speed at the same time.

My verdict: A lot of apsects of WFTDA derby are unnecessary. Seeing it in the faster, tighter confines of the banked track only confirms that.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

WindyMan posted:

I took HD video on my cell phone from a camera platform. I'm processing it and stabilizing it overnight, but I need to get an OK from the powers that be at RollerCon to make sure I'm allowed to upload the whole thing since I'm media and there are rules for us.

Can confirm: It was a shitshow and amazing. It was just an informal scrimmage, but that didn't stop the following things from happening:

- A blocker got hit out of the track under the rail after a jammer crashed into a stationary pack blob (she was fine). This would only happen about once every 10~12 games in regular banked/RDCL play. But WFTDA wasted no time!

- A blocker skating clockwise on a jammer runback crashed into her jammer coming in after she got bumped down into the same lane unexpectedly (they were fine). A gentle collision all things considered, but it was almost guaranteed to happen.

- A dropped jammer cover was surrounded by 3 blockers trying to prevent is retrieval for about 15-20 seconds. Dumb.

But the informality of it meant it was fun, too. No refs there, just two patrolling skaters and the jam timer. The RDCL ref crew that came for the shitshow acted as an outside "refereeing committee" to call penalties they saw, which was hilarious.

There was that moment when someone did a reverse apex jump to get a jammer recycle, which is cool until you realize that someone could kind of die if a jammer did a regular apex jump at high speed at the same time.

My verdict: A lot of apsects of WFTDA derby are unnecessary. Seeing it in the faster, tighter confines of the banked track only confirms that.

tbh i like wftda rules on a flat track but this sounds amazing. i hope beyond all hopes that you're cleared to release the footage.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
I watched that game and can confirm it was, indeed, amazing. And hilarious. Sometimes the skaters were laughing too hard to play. Sausarge Roll ate it twice as the jammer trying to haul rear end around the inside of the pack. In a row. I got some lovely cell video.

Cryosleep fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 26, 2015

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!

Windyman explaining the evils of WFTDA to the banked track skaters.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cryosleep posted:

Windyman explaining the evils of WFTDA to the banked track skaters.

Funny story about this. The coach that was scheduled had 7+ years of banked track experience, but hadn't played since they updated RDCL rules two years ago so she was totally clueless about most of the big strategy things. I was pressed into service as a training coach to explain the strategy to skaters.

100% universally, they all liked it WAY better than WFTDA. Because they could skate and it was easier to play offense and get to help and because it made sense!

P.S. Cryo have we met before? Are you MCP or am I thinking of someone else that appears goony?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Greased banked track roller derby. That'll keep those packs moving and make for some wicked drifting in the corners.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

WindyMan posted:

100% universally, they all liked it WAY better than WFTDA. Because they could skate and it was easier to play offense and get to help and because it made sense!
Hearsay.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
What are the main rules differences between the two?

My local team is part of the WFTDA, so I've been to a few of their events and think I get most of the rules.

Also, have the rules changed significantly in the last few years? I could swear that the first few events I went to had the pack start moving on the ref's whistle, and then two seconds later there was another whistle and the jammers could start moving. This season everyone just starts moving at once, and I think the jammers might start closer to the pack, too. I could be mistaken - I don't follow the sport closely.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Also, have the rules changed significantly in the last few years? I could swear that the first few events I went to had the pack start moving on the ref's whistle, and then two seconds later there was another whistle and the jammers could start moving. This season everyone just starts moving at once, and I think the jammers might start closer to the pack, too. I could be mistaken - I don't follow the sport closely.

Yeah, they used to have blockers start on one whistle and jammers on the second whistle (once all blockers passed the pivot line at the front). These days everyone starts on a single whistle.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I fight for the officials.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Windyman, yeah, we met like 2 rollercons ago, you were dressed up like Mario. I'm the blonde with short hair that's EMTing this year, I saw you at the black n blue ball and was gonna say hi, but you had an entourage and looked occupied. :-D I'll try to catch you today, but I'm stuck on MVP tracks all day.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cryosleep posted:

Windyman, yeah, we met like 2 rollercons ago, you were dressed up like Mario. I'm the blonde with short hair that's EMTing this year, I saw you at the black n blue ball and was gonna say hi, but you had an entourage and looked occupied. :-D I'll try to catch you today, but I'm stuck on MVP tracks all day.

I'll be announcing pretty much all day at the banked track until 5 and then will hang around the tracks until 8 or 9 if you can find me then.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
I'm skating in the full length Riv vs LVCC (team Riv!) at 6:30.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

bgreman posted:

A local filmmaker is trying to make a documentary about our (SCRD's) A-Team. Check it aht, donate if you think it might be cool. I'm barely in it!

Rumor has it I'm going to be mic'd up on the bench for this during our next game.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Cryosleep posted:

I saw you at the black n blue ball and was gonna say hi, but you had an entourage and looked occupied. :-D
he doesn't have an entourage, just walk up to him and call him a goon like i do (i'm wildstyle)

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!

downtimejesus posted:

he doesn't have an entourage, just walk up to him and call him a goon like i do (i'm wildstyle)

Oh hey! I played against you in the Riv vs LVCC game! I'm Hollycaust.

Good game, btw. :D

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
me and windyman 2 years ago and this year at Rollercon.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Where is windyman in the first picture? I only see, I assume, you and Mario.

dimwitf
Apr 8, 2008

'morning.
Still reading through old discussions, but wanted to say thanks to all involved for the detailed history and rules summaries. My wife's a cadet for Jet City Rollergirls in Everett, so we've been reading a lot about it.
As we were doing so, interesting news article came up from the other side of the state: member of the Spokannibals stops a purse-snatcher by running through traffic and bagging on his lack of stamina.
http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/Good-Samaritan-helps-police-corral-purse-snatcher/34541384
"I just thought that didn't look like his purse"

Question though: Do Seattle folks know why Rat City no longer plays in the hangar in Magnuson Park? Saw a game/bout there years ago and it was rad, huge house and packed...but now they are in a kind of grotty little place way north of the city (much nearer our house, but still).

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

dimwitf posted:

Question though: Do Seattle folks know why Rat City no longer plays in the hangar in Magnuson Park? Saw a game/bout there years ago and it was rad, huge house and packed...but now they are in a kind of grotty little place way north of the city (much nearer our house, but still).

A victim of derby's self-inflicted financial troubles due to dropping attendance, coupled with poor management. They asked for and got a $40k crowdfunding round to survive.

In other news: The last day of WFTDA Champs will be streamed on ESPN3. This is cool.

http://www.rollerderbynotes.com/2015/08/07/wftda-championships-final-to-be-carried-on-espn3-in-u-s/

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Sounds like there was a shutout game today at MVC. I don't have any details other than that.

E: Final: Shock Exchange 765, Cleveland 0 ‪#‎mvc2015‬

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Bout day!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bgreman posted:

Bout day!

That looks like Oly's home turf.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

HPL posted:

That looks like Oly's home turf.

This is Romp N Roll, in Glenshaw, PA, home of Steel City Roller Derby. Proud to say we soundly beat perennial-thorn-in-our-side Ohio Roller Girls tonight.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Sounds like there was a shutout game today at MVC. I don't have any details other than that.

E: Final: Shock Exchange 765, Cleveland 0 ‪#‎mvc2015‬
I'm annoyed by the whole Cleveland at MVC thing because it meant that The Replacements couldn't go. Cleveland doesn't have MRDA status yet, so as a result, they brought 6 of their own Cleveland guys, and then borrowed 5 skaters from other leagues. Their All-Tournament person was someone who doesn't skate for them, so they basically picked up a bunch of ringers, and got blown up in all of their bouts. Basically, if you're going to have a pickup team, have them explicitly be a pickup team, and have them actually be halfway decent so whoever is playing them isn't doing an hour long open rink skate (Last year when the Replacements played Shock, it was 353-70, which was pretty good considering we had skated together for an hour before playing them, then we basically smashed the loser's bracket and finished 5th).

For context on this score, we (the Capital City Hooligans) had a single jammer score 250-odd points on Cleveland at BrewHaHa. We're ranked like, 50th on Flat Track Stats and 29th in the MRDA. They're a first year understaffed team, and probably shouldn't have been in this tournament.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Really?! No posts during divisionals? I am disappoint. I medic'd in Jacksonville, no major injuries, yay! However, Stephanie Gentz from Jax fell right in front of me in the last game and was positive she had broken her fingers. That sucked rear end. Doesn't help that I'm friends with her, and wasn't on duty when it happened. They taped her back up and sent her back in after three jams, though.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cryosleep posted:

Really?! No posts during divisionals?

well no one watches roller derby any more, so

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am unfortunately too busy and only watched bits and pieces. I did watch all of Nashville's games but this thread has never turned into a gameday thread ala the rest of SAS so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Cryosleep posted:

Really?! No posts during divisionals? I am disappoint. I medic'd in Jacksonville, no major injuries, yay! However, Stephanie Gentz from Jax fell right in front of me in the last game and was positive she had broken her fingers. That sucked rear end. Doesn't help that I'm friends with her, and wasn't on duty when it happened. They taped her back up and sent her back in after three jams, though.

Man we were convinced she had a gruesome injury. It looked really bad, glad to hear it wasn't.

I've had the misfortune of being immediately present for more awful fractures than I care to remember, it's pretty harrowing. She handled the situation like a champ.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 22, 2015

• Locked thread