Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

My name is Jiminy Krimpet, and I am a Falcoholic.
Welp, that's pretty comprehensive. Nice first post, thanks for putting all of it together. I'm no expert but I've been to my share of derby events over the past few years and you pretty much covered everything I know.

I will point out that "games" are called "bouts." I've never heard anyone who was familiar with derby call them "games," but you seem to know your stuff, perhaps they call them "games" in LA?

Jiminy Krimpet fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

WindyMan posted:

No, they're called games. If Jerry Seltzer, the Jesus* of roller derby, calls them games, then they're called games. Always have been.

He makes reference to this fact all the time on his blog.

*The Son of The Father of Roller Derby

Oh, so it's a religious thing. :colbert: Carry on then.

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

Oh, also, this video might be handy in explaining the basics of how derby works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T8izdlc-dY

BRB, gotta move these microwave ovens.

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

I agree 100%.

Using real names instead of derby names doesn't change the competition on the track, but it does remove one cool thing about derby, and I am just not sure what the change is intended to accomplish. There are some things that I'd think are more important, for instance requiring a fixed number of refs or coming up with a standardized penalty reporting system.

I understand the desire for greater recognition but I would assert that derby already is a legitimate sport. We know it's not staged, it's not the televised derby of the 70's. We know these skaters and refs practice their asses off. It's an athletic competition that also happens to have a party atmosphere, where everyone gets along after the bout no matter the action on the track.

Getting on TV or covered by newspapers doesn't mean anything if no one cares about it. Look at the WNBA. They have full-time professional players, the league was (is?) subsidized by the NBA, they have their games broadcast, they appear on SportsCenter. Nevertheless, they can't make anyone care about it. Their average attendance last season was "about 7,800 people per game" according to Wikipedia.

Derby, where everyone has a different day job, where income is used to cover costs, which is almost never broadcast live on TV, which is not covered much in the news (except the repeated formulaic "personal interest" features e.g. "by day she works in accounts receivable, but by night she straps on the skates and is known as 'Shanka Ho', how wacky is that?!") and where everyone has a hell of a good time, drew over 6000 people for a recent bout in Seattle.

Derby got where it is because of what it is.

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

Well, your league is gonna get trial by fire for sure. But it's probably good to play tough competition, no? Oly/Rat City/Rose City will show you how it's done. By the way, Seattle's got the best and most well-organized reffing crew I encountered. Just a bunch of cool people.

By the way, new and unexpected "post-regionals" DNN POWER RANKINGS are out! Carolina back in the top 25. RAISE UP. Seems about right to me, they've gone 7-9 this year and played 8 currently ranked opponents.

Also, I think it's weird that they bother ranking London.

http://derbynewsnetwork.com/power_rankings/2010/10

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

^ DC?

I vaguely recall someone from DC having a Sookie-inspired name.

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

Wait, why did Dutchland forfeit? (edit: found it http://derbynewsnetwork.com/2011/09/east_playoffs_8e_dutchland_forfeits_1e_gotham)

Wow. Even if it does improve their end tournament ranking, so much of derby ranking is subjective that it seems a longterm bad decision.

Not knowing anything about the personalities involved, I wonder how the Dutchland organization as a whole feels about this. If they came up with a decision democratically or Merv the Perv making an executive decision based on :goonsay: statistics-based strategery. I don't know anyone on the team so I have absolutely no idea, just wondering who will deserve the boos that they will deservedly get whenever they find it pleasing to compete again.

I do own a Dutchland Rollers t-shirt and I'm not sure whether I should now wear it feeling partial shame or, instead, crippling shame.

Also, go CRG!! Scrimmaging despite being already eliminated :toot:

\/ that is a good point, not like they held a scheduling lottery today or anything

Jiminy Krimpet fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 16, 2011

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

According to CRG twitter feed, "Score after the first half is Gotham 236 Maine 4."

Maine still coming out of it looking better than Dutchland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

I guess calling it the "Dutchland Rule" should be penalty enough.

Also, regarding the allowance of injury forfeits instead of strategery forfeits, this week's NFL divesmanship was the first thing I thought of. Cynical, I guess, but that's why we're having this discussion in the first place.

Jiminy Krimpet fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 23, 2011

• Locked thread