Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

overthefalls posted:

The Terminal City Rollergirls just had our first WFTDA Apprentice bout on Friday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eu2yQopucc

Fully recorded, too. We're getting closer. The team in black is the Jet City Rollergirls from Everett, WA.

Hey, I played in that bout! Possibly stupid question but did you play in the bout(and if so what is your derby name?). It was a lot of fun and terminal city did awesome! Our team was an assorted group and several of them were freshmeat, but it was a lot of fun! I love coming to Canada, they have the best beer and food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Redfont posted:

EDIT: Maybe I'm just unclear on the exact specifics, but it looks like here in the beginning there's a lot of overlooked back-blocking.

there were a lot of penalties that weren't called in that bout(especially cutting penalties), but it can probably be chalked up to inexperienced refs.

I'm the one in purple tights with red underwear and lots of rear end and cleavage shots. Check out my fairly awesome hit at 4:32

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'm no ref but from reading this thread/the rules it *seems* to me in my non-professional opinion to be something that isn't called strictly to the rules ala traveling in basketball and holding in football. Sometimes this could be due to difficulty in seeing the penalty committed, other times it's a "well that wasn't too bad/blatant so I'll let it slide for a smoother game".

Am I totally wrong on that refs/players?

the penalty depends on the severity of the impact. If you slam into a chicks back and knock her down, that is a major. If you only bump her a little bit and she doesn't lose her position it is *most likely* a minor, but it depends on the refs discretion.

On an unrelated note, the Jet City Rollergirls have their season opening bout this
Saturday! My team, Camaro Harem, will be taking on the Hula Honeys! I'll post the bout link once it is uploaded.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Redfont posted:

Also, aren't inlines allowed in roller derby, just discouraged? I don't remember remember if I've seen it in the rules or not. It might have just been the personal preference of one team for practice maybe, but I distinctly remember the words allowed but not preferable.

If you mean skaters, no:
3.9 SKATES
3.9.1 Players must wear quad roller skates only. Players may not wear inline or any other type
of skate.

Or at least, that's what I thought you meant by "in roller derby", but as its been pointed out, it's okay for refs. but not encouraged. I don't think I've seen a ref on inlines, either.

In response to an earlier question of why quads over inlines, I've heard it's because it is much easier to snap your ankle in inlines, especially with tight pack work.

Personally I prefer quads. Can't do my fancy turn around toe stop stop on inlines :colbert:.

Bit late, but my team(Camaro Harem) won our bout at the season opener 120-81! Here's an awesome write up Elwood Bruise did of the bout. I was the second most effective blocker for my team :dance:. I was hoping they would have the bout online by now but oh well :(

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 6, 2011

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

^^^What they said.

WindyMan posted:

The turn-around toe stop is a very bad way to learn how to stop, in my opinion. First of all, it assumes you have toe stops on in the first place, which are crutches that inexperienced skaters rely on to accelerate and slow down. Secondly, if you're in the middle of a pack and you need to come a dead stop in a hurry, do you really want to turn your back to do it?

You really should learn how to do a hockey stop. Yes, you can do them on quads. They stop you instantly and let you change direction in a flash. Although, you need to be seriously good at skating before you can do them since doing them wrong or doing them while inexperienced will not go well. Hence me typing this with a limp and an ice pack around my left knee.

I have used it in a pack, with mixed results. I feel more comfortable doing that than plowing in a pack sometimes, but it's a case by case thing. Besides the stop I don't use my toestops, except for the first step or two of my starts. I've seen people do them with jam plugs, too, so you don't need full on top stops.

I can do a hockey stop? A basic one that I'm still perfecting, sure, but I do know how to do one. I just prefer my turn arounds. I think it's a great stop, and once you have it down you can stop on a dime, and it's good for strategic stuff.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Well, I missed today's practice but still plan on seeing next week's. Looking at skates the Sure-grip Invaders seem to be a good newbie cheap skate. What about the Riedell Rogue's? I like the look of the lace covers.
Wish I could afford some Vanilla Brass Knuckles.

A warning about lace covers: they're not all they're cracked up to be, and eventually they fall apart. After having my riedell 965 for a year the cover is falling off on both skates and looks like poo poo. I'm probably gonna cut it off.

Anyone gonna check out Wild West Showdown this year?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

WindyMan posted:

you're forgetting that all the team with two skaters has to do is not move at the start, which will prevent the pack from moving, thereby enabling them to burn penalty time and control the speed of the pack. Advantage: shorthanded team.

You're forgetting that the other four blockers can move forward, which I believe would mean they are setting the pace of the pack but I'm not exactly sure. They keep moving forward until they get a no pack situation from the refs, which forces the other team to move forward.

On my league most teams won't typically burn time for too long(5-10 seconds, 15 absolute max, but never 30 like the video above), but one team started burning the clock for longer this season. In our season opener the team they were playing against didn't really know how to react to it, so they just sat around until the other team decided to move. I suggested the strategy above, and we tested it in a few scrimmages against them and it works like a charm, because if they don't make an effort to rejoin the pack, they risk being penalized.

(Hope I worded this right :ohdear:)

Also, on an unrelated note, hooray for my derby name(Das Wunderkind) being approved!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Anyone going to/playing in spudtown knockdown this weekend? I'll be playing with SS rodeo, number 55. Hope to see some goons there!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Wow, I can't help but think that Rat City could have won that bout versus Rocky if they hadn't wasted so much time. 2(+?) jams where they don't even cross the pivot line and a bunch where they waste 1:30~? So disappointing. Joe Rollerfan(a really well known photographer if you don't know somehow) even posted this on Facebook:

"Rat City, that bout was disgraceful. I hope Rose City rips you up tomorrow, because I have no interest in seeing that bullshit at Championships."

drat.

I think the thing that irked me was the interview after, where they asked Carmen how they felt about how fans felt about it, and she said "they practice being booed so they're okay with it."

:psyduck: I like Rat City and may even be transferring to them soon, but I was a little disappointed with that bout. Final score was 107 to 117, and I think in that last jam deranged would have been ejected due to penalties.

Edit: Personally I would love to see a rule made where the jammers were automatically released after X amount of time.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 24, 2011

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

downtimejesus posted:

Did he not watch Easterns at all, or is this a thing hitting too close to home, I don't get it. Maybe he's pissed because he didn't get anything to take pictures of.
:lol::lol::lol:

I think it may be just hitting close to home, since he's pretty local. I'm not sure.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Semi-Normal posted:

So my wife's looking into starting up in the local (small town) roller derby group, and she was told to check out this website for equipment.

http://daklinic.com/shop/category/rollerskates/freshmeat-packages

She just wants to know, is there a big difference between the cheaper/higher-priced packages? She's just starting out, but she's determined that she wants to stick with it long-term, so, any suggestions?

I agree, go with nicer pads and cheap/mid range skates, depending on your budget. As far as that website goes, package 7 or 8 is gonna be your best bet, as 187's are pretty decent pads(and by far the best out of that selection). Another thing to take into consideration is how tall your woman is/how long her legs are. The knee pads in those packages have a higher profile that didn't work for my short rear end legs(5'3 with stubby legs, for the record). That being said, I've met women my height who wore them no problem, so ymmv.

Personally, as far as knee pads go, I love my rector fat boys so much. It's like falling on pillows. An old derby proverb I heard regarding pads: you should spend 60+ on knee pads, and about 30 for the others(though wrist pads are generally around 20).

Also, on package 7, they list the skate wrong. That looks like a Reidell wicked, or maaaaaybe a ronin, but I'm pretty sure it's the former. just fyi. I would go with package 7 personally, but that depends on if the skate has a nylon or aluminum plate. If its nylon, no go, aluminum, hell yes, so I would call or email first to find out. That really comes down to personal preference, but when I switched from nylon to aluminum I vowed never to go back. I feel like I get so much more power out of my stride now, since I don't have to deal with the flexing of the nylon plate absorbing some of my power. The lighter the person is, though, the less they have to worry about that flex, so a lot of lightweight women stick with nylon and think aluminum is too heavy. I was about 155-170 when I was still skating on a league, and the flex was too much for me, and the difference in the skate weight (nylon vs aluminum) is only a couple pounds so it wasn't a hard transition. Again, ymmv.

Sorry for all the words. Do you guys live anywhere near a skate shop? It would be best if she could try the skate on before buying and see what fits her foot the best. Additionally, fishnet burnns has a series of good articles on gear & skate selection. Link goes to the first gear write up. That blog also has a lot of good articles for newbie skaters, too. Hope this helps!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Semi-Normal posted:

Thanks for the tips. :)

No, we don't live anywhere near a skate shop unfortunately. I think long-term we'll take a drive somewhere and get her fitted properly, but she's looking at some skates on eBay to use in the meantime. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330759832141?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2648#ht_500wt_1361

In the meantime, she's been trying to recruit people for the local group on Facebook, and there's been a lot of takers, which I found surprising (for a small Australian country town at least). I guess the novelty wins people over.

My favourite part will be helping come up with a name for her. Awful puns are my speciality.

Be careful with skates with a lot of padding like that. They're comfy at first, but the padding compresses over time, eventually making feet slip around, causing massive blisters :(. I would know, I skated on the reidell mink skate(i believe the boot was a 595) for about a year, and loved it at first, but they eventually became impossible to wear because the padding had compressed so much they were a full size larger. Just a warning.

I would go unpadded personally, they suck to break in for a while, but once they stretch and conform to the foot the fit can't be beat. Plus, I believe you can heat mold leather boots for an even better fit.

And yes, coming up with derby names is the fun part :) I'm actually in the market for a be name, since my current name is in German and I'm tired of getting blank stares whenever I say it.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

I haven't figured out the draw of the Antiks skates. They're a high cut boot with soft leather and padding that would drive me insane. I like low cut so that my ankle is unrestricted, and my boots are short on padding except on the tongue. People are raving about them.

If you look to the long established sport of speed skating, the boots there are as low cut as possible, and usually a hard boot. It's why I want the Bont boots so much. They've got a very rigid lower section (CF), and seem to be pretty stiff leather above that. No quarter inch of rubber padding to rub holes in your socks and skin.

Have you tried them on? Despite the higher cut boot, they're really comfy and they don't impede my movement at all, even on sharp turns. I don't lace them all the way up, though, and most people don't. I used to be pretty decent friends with quadzilla, the guy how helped make/design them, and he's such a phenomenal skater that I trusted him that they would be great(plus I tried a pair on at a tournament in Idaho) v:shobon:v. Some people swear by them, some hate them, so ymmv.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Well, one world is a part of osda.

HPL posted:

Yet Reanimateher plays for a bazillion teams and no one says anything?

Well she has one home team and plays for a few pick up teams. I don't think that's the same as flying in skaters for a regional tournament/championship(nevermind legit playing in BotB, clearly it needed/needs the competition legit brings). Personally I think importing skaters is bullshit and shouldn't be allowed.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

HPL posted:

What about teams like Team Legit which are basically all-star teams formed specifically for the purpose of playing at tournaments?

I think pick up teams are fine, as long as they aren't playing regional tournaments for placement(with the exception of BotB, which I mentioned above, since in previous years they've been needed to steer it away from being the la/sd show*). I think the oly thing is just extra frustrating for me because the western region is already the most competitive region, we don't need them importing people to stack the odds even higher. Every league has turn over, and if theyve had enough that it causes them to slip in the rankings a bit, then so be it.

*though personally I wish there would be a year where only banked track teams play because the field has been leveled, but that isn't likely to happen.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Weird, I've been on several leagues and none of them have ever had to pay to use photos for stuff like bout posters :psyduck:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Oh WindyMan, you're so funny. "One world roller derby might give oly a run for their money."

Maybe it's just cause I live in the area and know/used to skate with a bunch of people from owrd, but Christ they are a bad league.

That being said, were any of the games in the tournament worth watching? All I saw on Facebook was people being bored to tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

My small time league just got Re-AnimateHer as a skating member/coach, which is kind of really awesome.

Unrelated, but is anyone else doing to Spokarnage this weekend?

• Locked thread